REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #76
Old School RS

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,231 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
You have enough money for a lawyer but not to live in a place that doesnt have shit like that?

Also, as dinosaur said, you are fucked - they gave you 5 days notice to show the place, whether you are away or not is irrelevant, good luck with fighting that.
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Failed 441 Times in 145 Posts
During an arbitration case, you are absolutely able to have a "representative" with you or to speak for you (usually reserved for those with language problems or disabilities), but don't think for one second a lawyer will be up for fighting the RTA.

You are wasting your time and are grasping at straws to prove an irrelevant point. It is like when I talk to a tenant about a noise complaint and they bitch at me that their tap drips...as if the dripping tap is the reason they play music loud. It is a pathetic and immature response. I'm not going to lie....this is what you are doing.

She gave you 5 days notice. You chose to go away. If you unlawfully prevent your landlord from showing the suite, you will be responsible for the loss of revenue.

Your arrogance is overwhelming.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #78
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
Failed 268 Times in 45 Posts
That escalated quickly

The notice came after we left for vacation.
finbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #79
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
The notice after you had already left is irrelevant. Sufficient notice is outlined in the RTA (24 hr notice).
The others are simply pointing out how silly your letter is and giving you a heads up that if you foolishly try to take it up with the branch, you're only wasting your own time and money.
whether or not this escalates will depend on how you respond to their advice
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #80

The good news is we have worked out a mutually beneficial agreement.

Thanks for the perspective.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 109 Posts
Honestly, here's the deal. I had a tenant try the same thing. "I wasn't pleased you went in my apartment when I was on vacation."

I said to her, I texted instead of leaving a note under the door, and its not my problem to know when each and every person is away. It's not my problem she was out of cell reception.

I CANNOT HOLD EVERYONE'S HAND.

What I didn't do, is exactly what dino said about the leaky tap, because I could have said, "i don't give a shit because you and your neck tatted boyfriend, conveniently not on the lease, smoke pot and it pisses me off"

I live by a rule in this...I like the people when they sign the lease. I deal with them when they live there, and chances are I fucking hate them when they are moving out.

Why? Because suddenly the princess effect of everything not being up to their standards turns into, "that's clean enough. Don't be a dick and give me my security deposit. All landlords just want to keep it"

I'm not saying this to you specifically finbar, but you happen to be the first person in all these threads that I strongly disagree with. Maybe your landlord is a kook. Lots are. Maybe you are a princess tenant. Once again, lots are.

What I am saying is from what has been shared, you are on a limb here.

And...there was no lawyer, was there?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #82

LOL.
The lawyer is a buddy, he made partner in his firm.

But there was no alarm system programmed for an armed police response.

I've rented before this landlady and never had an issue.
One landlord was way cool, we developed a good working relationship.
I did a lot of kitchen and bathroom remodels for him.

The rent is always there.

I get along with the neighbours.

I keep the place clean.

If it's a small item like a toilet tank flapper I take care of it, keep my mouth shut and move on.
It's easier for me to pick one up on a grocery run and put it in than scheduling the work.

What I'm trying to say here is that I'm not out to bust anyone's balls, I just don't like being fucked with.
Then it's 0 to bitch in a nanosecond.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #83
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbar View Post
Then it's 0 to bitch in a nanosecond.
Yeah. I have NEVER done that.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #84
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,763 Times in 2,315 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Just curious, but you said you were going to be home in time for her to enter the suite. So what did you have to hide/clean-up for almost 24 hours before you could let her in?

There must be a reason you don't want to let her in.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #85

What I'm hiding is

Spoiler!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #86
Banned By Establishment

So worth it. Bewbs.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #87
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,645 Times in 446 Posts
Failed 19 Times in 10 Posts
So this morning as I was leaving for work. The landlords wife was on her phone in the main floor. I can hear her cause the sound proofing of both the house is pretty bad.. Anyways, as left and closed the door, I hear her open the door to to basement from her side and yell out my name.
So I opened my door and poked head back into the basement to see what she wanted.
Then she just said to me in a stern voice 'you need to close the door nicer'. So I said 'okay but by no means am I slamming the the door' and her response was just 'you are going to close it quieter'
I was already running late for work so I didn't want to keep arguing but on my drive to work this didnt sit well with me.
It seems like they are just being super picky with me now, perhaps they want be to leave?
I will definitely consider moving when my lease is up, but right now let I stated before, work is getting too busy for be to consider moving and also is getting cold and moving in this weather will suck.
Any suggestions as to what I can do to get the landlord off my back?

Thank god I am on holidays in 3 days... Can't wait wait to get away
Posted via RS Mobile
skiiipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #88
Banned By Establishment

Live your life normally. Let her get on your back all she wants and as long as you are just being a regular, everyday tenant who is abiding by the Act, she can't do a thing.

If it continues and she doesn't stop nit-picking....you can file a dispute resolution. You have the right "Quite Enjoyment" to live in your suite free of disturbances. "Quite Enjoyment" isn't just about loud music, etc...it includes issues such as this.

If you want, you can also send her a letter stating that you have this right and should she have an issue with your tenancy or if you are breaking any rule, she can alert you by sending you an official warning letter.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #89
Banned By Establishment

It is a valid technique. Nit pick the shit out of someone until it gets uncomfortable.

It takes a LOT of effort.

The way I look at it, if I have to go out of my way to involve myself in their door closing skills, then maybe they aren't that bad

Fuck basement suites man. I've done two of them. One, the kid from upstairs went to my work and told my staff what my sex sounded like, including, apparently a somewhat accurate reproduction.

Move to somewhere where they have a life and no interest in teaching you how to close doors.