REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
I don't get it

Failed 75 Times in 17 Posts
(advice needed) looking at a 2006 VW jetta TDI

hey RSer's looking to buy a used 2006 Jetta TDI. as we all know diesel gets great millage, but I am not familiar with VW s and its reliability, it has 170k and body looks good but I am more concern with the electrical and power train reliability of that year. I had a TL, TSX wanted to switch it up. so if anyone with VW background would like to leave a comment it would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
evlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
I had a 2006 Jetta TDI. Nice car, more room than the MK4 body style, but there are some things to be aware of. I suggest you go to TDICLUB and do a little reading.

* if it's a standard, the flywheels are known to grenade. Ask if the clutch has been replaced - if not, it will need it very soon

* this year TDI had a BRM Pumpe Duse motor. These motors are notorious for having shitty cams, which will wear prematurely if incorrect oil was not used. And the oil VW uses at the dealer is not the best oil for these motors. Costs about $1000 to replace if you do your own labour.

* the timing belt is due. If it hasn't been done, it must be done immediately. If the guy did it himself, take the car to a reputable shop and have it done. If this is not done correctly, it will take out your motor. Dealers are way overpriced, there is a list of trusted mechanics at TDICLUB

* Electrical gremlins were addressed starting in 2002 and by 2004 the same company that makes the Toyota harnesses were making the Jetta harnesses for North America.

TDI's are fantastic cars but they do require maintenance. Overall, that is still cheap relative to other cars' costs of ownership. I now have a 2005 TDI with a BEW Pumpe Duse and an auto trans - I drive it hard (have a large turbo, tune) and I still get 42-44mpg.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
If at all feasible, look for a late MY MK4 TDI instead. The 06 was the first year of the MK5 and while all the quirks should be fixed by this point, I'm always wary of buying one. I've got an '00 (or maybe it's an '01? lol) Jetta TDI and apart from general maintenance, the only thing it's needed recently is a new timing belt. And that's after hitting the 300k mark.

This is a personal opinion but I also feel the MK4's look much better than the MK5's.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 306 Times in 50 Posts
Thx guys, its auto, and at a non vw dealership
Posted via RS Mobile
Gtrr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
If at all feasible, look for a late MY MK4 TDI instead. The 06 was the first year of the MK5 and while all the quirks should be fixed by this point, I'm always wary of buying one. I've got an '00 (or maybe it's an '01? lol) Jetta TDI and apart from general maintenance, the only thing it's needed recently is a new timing belt. And that's after hitting the 300k mark.

This is a personal opinion but I also feel the MK4's look much better than the MK5's.
Actually, the first year of the MK5 was the 2005.5 model. I have a 2005 MK4. The BRM's were in the 2005.5 Jetta and the 2006 Jetta. They started using these motors in some 2004 Beetles.

Again, overall it is not a bad engine, but the cams and lifters will eventually go. Replace them with newer designs and you will get another 300k out of the motor. If it was a really good deal, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, knowing that the cam job is inevitable. Factor that into your pricing.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote