REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
hot rod waggin'

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Forbidden fruit no more?

Canadian recognition of EU safety standards, more exports from Canada to Europe part of CETA
Quote:
That French car you’ve wanted for so very long may be a possibility once a detailed free trade agreement between Canada and Europe is ratified in about two years time.

The agreement, announced in principle in Brussels today by Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, has a number of positive changes for the automotive sector from both industrial and enthusiast standpoints.

While the details of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) are sealed as lawyers still need to go over the language, both parties have revealed some interesting details of the agreement.

What Canada Gets From Europe

All free trade agreements are a give-and-take affair. Due to Canada’s high ratio of exports (85-percent of passenger vehicles built in Canada are exported to other markets), it should be no surprise most of the benefits Canada will see have to do with opening up the European market to Canada-built vehicles and automotive parts.

From Government of Canada:

The automotive sector is a key driver of Canada’s economy and employs more than 115,000 highly skilled Canadians across the country. The Canadian auto industry is highly dependent on trade, with around 85 per cent of auto production exported every year. CETA provides historic new market access opportunities for the automotive sector and will allow significant increases of exports to Europe. The removal of tariffs along with flexible rules of origin will benefit vehicle and auto parts producers alike.

For passenger vehicles, the EU’s 10 per cent tariff will be eliminated, providing Canada’s auto makers with a competitive advantage in the EU market that few other countries have.

CETA will also benefit Canada’s lucrative auto parts sector, not only because the sector will be incorporated into the Agreement, but also because CETA will eliminate EU tariffs on auto parts, which run up to 4.5 per cent. This means that Canadian auto parts producers will have an important advantage over competitors in other countries.

In addition, CETA includes rules of origin which reflect Canada’s place within the integrated North American automotive industry. These provisions are designed to work with Canada’s existing supply chains and allow for up to 100,000 passenger vehicles to be exported to Europe, a twelve-and-a-half fold increase from our current average exports. At the same time, CETA encourages “made in Canada” production by granting unlimited preferential treatment to vehicles with higher Canadian content that are exported to Europe.

Finally, CETA includes forward looking provisions that allow for the adjustment of the rules of origin to provide additional flexibility in the event that the EU strikes free trade deals with other countries, such as the United States. Taken together, the CETA rules of origin give Canadian producers the opportunity to export to the EU market on a preferential basis now and in the years to come.

What Europe Gets From Canada

There is one major concession Canada has given the European Union and it could make things very interesting for car enthusiasts.

From European Commission:

Automotive sector – Canada will recognise a list of EU car standards and will examine the recognition of further standards. This will make it much easier to export cars to Canada.

And What Does This Mean For Us Car People

While 100,000 units does not seem like a massive number (Nissan produces around 500,000 vehicles per year in Tennessee), it is still significantly more than the 8,000 units the Canadian government currently says they are allowed to export.

The biggest change will be in tariffs. Manufacturers from Europe will (hopefully) be able to sell their vehicles for less in Canada, allowing more customers to purchase European produced vehicles. The same will be true for vehicles built in Canada for export (the Ford Edge is expected to be sold globally soon, built in Ontario).

However, the recognition of car standards will be the big money saver for European manufacturers and opens the door for vehicles like the Volkswagen Scirocco to be sold in Canada without having to meet certain Canadian vehicle standards.
CETA Means Big Changes For Canadian Automotive Industry - Autos.ca

I'm starting to dream of Astra VXRs and Renault Megane Cups...
Advertisement
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 109 Posts
I like the Peugeot's. They are very distinct in styling, have never really been in North America and are very recognizable as European cars.

They always stand out as something different.

So in a way, the opportunity to have one here is interesting, but on the other hand, it kind of takes away from that exclusivity and unobtainable quality.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
"The biggest change will be in tariffs. Manufacturers from Europe will (hopefully) be able to sell their vehicles for less in Canada, allowing more customers to purchase European produced vehicles. The same will be true for vehicles built in Canada for export (the Ford Edge is expected to be sold globally soon, built in Ontario)."

... Or keep the price the same and greatly improve profit margins.
Posted via RS Mobile
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
I mentioned it in another thread, but barring lobbying from oil companies, this could open the gate for more options in diesel passenger cars other than VW's TDI.
Posted via RS Mobile
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
hot rod waggin'

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
I mentioned it in another thread, but barring lobbying from oil companies, this could open the gate for more options in diesel passenger cars other than VW's TDI.
Posted via RS Mobile
I hope so too, but it's not just a matter of importing diesels over. Euro diesel is much cleaner than North America diesel (less sulphur) and it would take a large investment to convert them to run properly here.

Simply having the Canadian market wouldn't be enough, the US market would also need to have the demand for the automakers to invest. It's starting to happen though, MB, Audi and BMW are all rolling out new diesel vehicles in the next few years.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Hmm... there's bound to be something that's going to keep prices high or bar importation because the Americans are going to be fuming

If not then I can't wait there are tonnes of awesome cars trucks vans etc etc to be had
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
so... this only applies to new european vehicles? older vehicles still fall under the 15 year rule?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts

gonna get me a clio.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
I want me an Alfa Romeo Mito GTA.

:
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
I think cars will still have to br on RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles). If the car has not gone threw safety testing in Canada the car will have to be 15 years old to be imported.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 103 Posts
brb dreaming of rs6 avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Failed 192 Times in 75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I think cars will still have to br on RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles). If the car has not gone threw safety testing in Canada the car will have to be 15 years old to be imported.
I thought there was an update a year or two ago saying that Ecode crash tests and regulations would be accepted essentially 'at par' with Canadian ones?
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #14
I STILL don't get it

Failed 81 Times in 28 Posts
omgomgomg SciroccoSciroccoScirocco
wstce92 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #15
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
I thought there was an update a year or two ago saying that Ecode crash tests and regulations would be accepted essentially 'at par' with Canadian ones?
i need proof please! i can't find anything online. otherwise all these dream cars everyone is posting up is just a 15 year dream...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 14 Posts
gray market for all!
this is exciting if it actually happens
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #17
degenerate extraordinaire

Failed 30 Times in 20 Posts
I'll take a cheap gti if a good portion of the owners are thinking of upgrading to a scirocco
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
RS Licensed Vendor

Failed 34 Times in 13 Posts
Wow.....finally.

An Alpha Romeo would be dope :P
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,891 Times in 7,388 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Pretty sure that was american standards which is how we ended up with the golf r32 and evo 8s/9s when we couldn't legally before however that was like 3/4 years ago. If the euro one was true there would be so many cars here that we have never seen.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
Interesting news. Curious to see how this unfolds. I've been waiting for 2014 to import a 1999 European Domestic piece as per the 15 rule. Would be cool if the flood gates open for newer cars. I'm sure lots of us have a Euro shopping list that is waiting to be filled. lol.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #21

My interest is very peaked to see what you are planning.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
i dont think this is going to be retroactive.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #23

It was in the U.S. case, hopefully it will be in this case as well.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 395 Times in 107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I guess you missed the part about adopting EU standards. That basically eliminates the RIV.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #25
racing & tech mod.

Failed 22 Times in 12 Posts
The RIV will still exist.. they will simply add european cars to the allowed list. You still will not be able to legally import a 2014 JDM Yaris, for example.

I would hesitate to import a renault/citroen/peugot etc.. it will be a pain in the ass to get parts in a timely fashion.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: