REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #251
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
I'm going from YVR to Hong Kong in a few days, I don't have any special credit cards. Are there any free or reasonably priced lounge I can go to?
No there aren't any free lounges if you don't have any travel cards / a frequent flyer of the airline company, only paid one will be Plaza Premium Lounge but I don't know if you would consider it reasonably priced $40 for 2HR, $50 for 3HR, $70 for 6HR.
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #252
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Failed 147 Times in 59 Posts
Quote:
I'm going from YVR to Hong Kong in a few days, I don't have any special credit cards. Are there any free or reasonably priced lounge I can go to?
As mentioned above, the only one is Plaza Premium.

You live in Vancouver (or at least I assume you do), just do online check in, and don't come to the airport so early.

AC/CX 's guideline is 50mins prior to departure if you have bags to check in. Just show up one hour early...check in...go through security...and it would be time to board already.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #253
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,384 Times in 2,406 Posts
Failed 393 Times in 159 Posts
Be careful with Plaza lounges at YVR and YYZ. Both times I've used my Amex card for free access my credit card was compromised.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #254
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,918 Times in 1,239 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Just wanted to let people know that both US Airways Dividend Miles and Alaska Mileage Plan are holding "buy" bonuses, where you can buy miles and receive a bonus on those purchased miles. It is 100% on USDM (Link Here - not affiliated with this blogger) and 35% on Alaska (Link Here - not affiliated with this blogger).

Can be worthwhile if you have a redemption in mind. Alaska miles are awesome because they're quite versatile, and USDM can have good value for RT F to Asia/Europe. I just redeemed 140,000 Alaska miles for CX F to SIN (2 tickets - my GF and I) which cost me about $2700 total thanks to the Alaska Mastercard bonus. That's great value for money considering it costs $10k/pax if we were to buy using cash.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #255
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,225 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Unless you have absolutely no way to kill time, I don't see why you'd want to go in early. With what Richmond has to offer, anything in YVR is crap, even more so when you have to pay for it.

Do what I used to do when I was in Van, check in a few hours early (I used to do as soon as the counter opens for the flight I'd fly) and go to Aberdeen/Yaohan for food and drink. If someone is driving you to the airport, the possibilities are endless. Go sing K, clear a few buckets on driving range, watch C-Lais killing others on No.3... whatever you like.

And arrive to the airport just 30min before the boarding time on your pass and enjoy your 12hr sardine can to HKG.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #256

Cathay Pacific’s frequent fliers think sexually harassing the cabin crew is a perk

Quote:
Cathay Pacific flight attendants say the company’s popular Marco Polo club frequent flyer plan and too-tight uniforms are contributing to rising instances of sexual harassment on board. Female flight attendants are harassed about once every ten flights, a flight attendant union representative estimated, thanks in part to an air of entitlement among members of the airline’s Marco Polo Club, who pay $50 to join.
+

“Some of the Marco Polo Club [frequent flier] members think they can do things to us because they are privileged, and we somehow allow it,” Flight Attendants Union secretary Michelle Choi told the South China Morning Post. Uniforms with tight skirts and short blouses, which flight attendants have repeatedly complained about, are also contributing to the problem, she said.
+

The club’s fee-based “elite” frequent flier club is considered an industry success, because it brings in revenue from fliers who get conveniences that are relatively inexpensive for the airline, like the ability to board earlier. Upgrades, the use of the company’s private airport lounges, and other top-shelf benefits are still only given to passengers who have amassed a large number of air miles and a higher Marco Polo standing.
+

If these members (or any passengers) harass Cathay Pacific flight attendants, the attendants have almost no way to report these incidents without severely inconveniencing everyone on the plane, and potentially delaying several other flights that day, Choi says:
+

When you report it to the flight manager, they always say it is the crew member’s decision whether or not to call the police. They tell you, ‘It’s your decision. Do you want to delay the flight by calling the police?’
+

The complaints come after a survey earlier this year found that over one-quarter of all Hong Kong-based flight attendants had been sexually harassed while on duty in the air, and 29% while on the job the past year.
+

Of those who reported being sexually harassed in the past year, half of respondents (about 50 people) told Hong Kong’s Equal Opportunities Commission they reported the harassment to a senior colleague or lodged a formal complaint. What happens to those complaints after they are filed is unclear—Hong Kong’s EOC has registered just two cases of alleged sexual harassment of flight attendants since 1996, and no prosecutions.
+

Asia’s airlines have hired hundreds of new flight attendants in recent years, but, as Quartz previously reported, the industry has done little to dispel the old-fashioned image of the sexually-available flight attendant that has been (mostly) retired in North America and Europe. Last year, China’s low cost Spring Airlines bucked the trend, sort of, by saying it would hire married flight attendants and call them “Flight Aunties.”
+

Under Hong Kong law, though, sexual harassment of flight attendants remains completely legal.
+

Hong Kong’s Sex Discrimination Ordinance law, passed in 1995, makes sexual harassment illegal, but it does not apply to Hong Kong companies whose “employees work wholly or mainly outside Hong Kong.” The special administrative region’s statutes also state that customers cannot be prosecuted for sexual harassment of a company representative or employee, but employees can be prosecuted for the sexual harassment of a customer.

Cathay Pacific?s frequent fliers think sexually harassing the cabin crew is a perk ? Quartz
Old 05-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #257

^so does that mean since I am MPC Gold, I have turned into a perv?

On another note, ANOTHER buy miles bonus! Avianca Lifemiles is probably the cheapest miles to buy for Star Alliance premium awards.

Link here
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #258
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 10 Times in 6 Posts
Well you don't have to worry about this harassment issue if you fly around North America, not saying there aren't hot flight attendants on United but I haven't seen many...
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #259

I think it has something to do that many elites are complete assholes.

Just because they are a loyal customer doesn't mean they get to be an ass and ask for things that airlines do as a complement (i.e. not guaranteed).

I'm a UA 1K but I often see some gold or platinum members literally shouting at clerks as they are peasants just because "they are gold/platinum members". I even ran into a GS flying in Y arguing about free upgrades at the gate.

Unfortunately, such mentality of elites have also led to a poorer treatment from attendants toward all elites and severely degraded the experience of being an elite.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #260
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Failed 553 Times in 157 Posts
yes. I can confirm, that white blouse is WAYYYY to short.
They have been complaining about it for a long time now. I don't know what this only recently came to light
Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 PM   #261

Etihad Airbus A380 new first class suites Residence Apartments - Flights | hotels | frequent flyer | business class - Australian Business Traveller

Old 05-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #262
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
wow...what's that going to cost??
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
wow...what's that going to cost??
Not much. Just around $46k CAD for a trip from Dubai to London
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #264

My gawd, wonder what Emirates will respond with.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Not much. Just around $46k CAD for a trip from Dubai to London
I don't know why anyone would pay that much for a commercial airline. With 46k roundtrip, you could be hiring your private jet rather than flying commercial for that same distance. Private charter runs about $3.5k an hour... assuming a 6hour flight from Dubai to LHR... and you get to fit 5+ people on the same plane
Old 05-08-2014, 08:48 AM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
I don't know why anyone would pay that much for a commercial airline. With 46k roundtrip, you could be hiring your private jet rather than flying commercial for that same distance. Private charter runs about $3.5k an hour... assuming a 6hour flight from Dubai to LHR... and you get to fit 5+ people on the same plane
No shower, no living room, no double bed upon which you can have nookie.

"Uh, ladies and gentlemen, we are experiencing some extreme turbulence at the moment. Please ignore the sounds coming from the Residences and remain in your seat."
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #267
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
That suite is probably far nicer than any private jet you'd hire for the same price
Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #268

I get that its amenities are incredible...

but the convenience of a private jet is amazing. No lineup, no security... you just drive up to pretty much where the plane is and go.

I flew once on a flight from Toronto to LAX in client's jet, and instead of the usual 1+hr of preparation, we arrived at the airport and were airborne in 5 minutes. Upon arrival, there is no wait for luggage or walk your way through airport. Client's car was waiting right off the plane.

If money was no object, I will take a crappy private flight over even the best first class money can buy any time. And the seats on the jet do turn into flat beds. Granted it might not be as comfortable as some first class seats or this "bedroom" they have here, but it's not bad and I took a decent nap during that 5hr flight with 4 pax on board.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
1) Obviously not in yours or my budget - but to many people where money is not a problem....there's many other questionable purchases in our view too.

Private jet is actually upwards of $6k+/hr, and even more costly for airports like LHR.

2) Who pays for first class ticket anyways? it's all about churning credit cards for it's points

3) DXB-LHR is their launch route. They will eventually roll it out to longer routes like SYD etc where a) private jet might not have the range, b) where you would just prefer the stability of huge A380.

For a 14+ hr flight like those, a 'bedroom' would be quite a luxury compare to your typical J/F layflat bed.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #270

It's all about VIP terminals for F passengers like what Lufthansa has at EDDF.

Inside Lufthansa's Super Swish First Class Terminal at Frankfurt Airport || Jaunted
Old 05-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #271

Quote:
1) Obviously not in yours or my budget - but to many people where money is not a problem....there's many other questionable purchases in our view too.

Private jet is actually upwards of $6k+/hr, and even more costly for airports like LHR.

2) Who pays for first class ticket anyways? it's all about churning credit cards for it's points

3) DXB-LHR is their launch route. They will eventually roll it out to longer routes like SYD etc where a) private jet might not have the range, b) where you would just prefer the stability of huge A380.

For a 14+ hr flight like those, a 'bedroom' would be quite a luxury compare to your typical J/F layflat bed.
I don't know about preferring the comfort of a commercial airline. This client of mine who I flew with is strictly private jet. He had a flight to China with my boss last time and they still flew in jet despite the fact they needed to have a refuel stop somewhere in Pacific. And I could understand why... no hassle, no sharing, no third parties beyond your control.

For 6k+ an hour, you are looking at Gulfstream V or something of that caliber. Smaller jets command much less. The Learjet 45 I flew last time was less than 3000/hr according to my client.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 AM   #272

My cousin has a membership with one of those net jet companies and he flew from SFO to LAS for the Mayweather fight last week. He said one way worked out to around $1500/hr and he can take 4 passengers with him on a one way leg.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #273
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
^That's actually not as a bad as I thought it would be...
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #274
Old School RS

Thanked 4,039 Times in 1,231 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Etihad has said that there will be no way to book the residence except by paying for it, no points based redemptions are possible.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #275
private modder

Thanked 2,784 Times in 782 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
I tend to agree that a flying on private jet will always appear more baller than even the best of the best first class seating on a commercial airline.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote