REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Failed 4,505 Times in 971 Posts
Why Korean car manufactures struggle horribly in Japan?

Recently, Kia Japan announced that they will no longer be selling their cars in Japan. The reason? Because they could NOT sell a single car in the course of 21 years. (That's right, the sales was absolute zero in 21 years)
Hyundai Japan had a similar problem as well, they could only sell tens or maybe hundreds if they're lucky, inevitably they had to quit.

Korean dramas are super popular in Japan, Japanese people have no problem buying Korean cell phones, especially Galaxy.
They even have this Japanese word "Kanryu" meaning "Korean Style" in Japanese.

Any guess why couldn't sell cars?

You will need Google Translate for this.
yŠ؍‘‚a‚a‚rz‹NˆŸŽ“Ž‚“–{“P‘ށA‚Q‚P”NŠ‚‚P‘ ‚”„‚‚ 2013/06/18(‰) 09:56:41 [ƒT[ƒ`ƒi]
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
same reason the xbox doesnt sell
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Failed 95 Times in 35 Posts
Because racist.

Also must be a pain in the ass to get parts + no local aftermarket
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
I don't get it

Failed 87 Times in 30 Posts
Because no Kia GTR
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 7 Posts
It probably have to do something with the Japanese trying to protect their domestic market. They do this by imposing hefty taxes on foreign cars. Koreans do this too so it works both ways.
Posted via RS Mobile
MTV Cribs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Failed 532 Times in 202 Posts
it's a cultural thing also. if you are a local korean businessman, you drive a korean car even though you can afford a Merc or BMW - you show pride in your nation. same thing likely applies for japan's car industry.

as for cell phones, there are no big japanese makers anymore, are there? it's all Samsung and Apple, then HTC or whoever - but really who has anything other than Samsung and Apple
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #7
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Failed 11 Times in 9 Posts
Japan?Korea disputes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 3 Times in 1 Post
used to be sony ericsson, they still have the xperia
ackjaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,763 Times in 2,315 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
So essentially nobody in Japan bought a Korean car because they didn't want one...

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
Actually Japanese have problems buying Samsung phones too.. ever wonder why iPhones are so popular?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #11

Failed 10 Times in 3 Posts
tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #12

Failed 10 Times in 3 Posts
gg

Last edited by tubbs; 08-24-2014 at 09:31 PM.
tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #13
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
It is all about customer perception.. Older Japanese still think Koreans are backwater.

Remember younger Japanese don't drive as often.

Timpo you might want to brush up on your geo-politics.

case in point:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/bu...gewanted=print
August 11, 2013
Korean Companies Struggle to Gain Traction in Japan
By ERIC PFANNER

TOKYO — Brandishing a new Sony Xperia as she left a mobile phone shop in a trendy part of Tokyo, Nisako Hanawa, a 17-year-old student, explained that she had chosen that brand “because of its cool design and its good reputation.”

Asked about another leading smartphone maker, Samsung Electronics of South Korea, she and a friend exchanged quizzical looks. “Samsung?” Miss Hanawa asked. “I haven’t heard of it.”

Samsung Electronics may be the largest consumer electronics company in the world, selling one out of every three smartphones and one in five televisions. LG, the other giant electronics maker in Korea, has a significant share of TV and washing machine markets in Europe and the United States. But here in trend-obsessed Japan, consumers have not caught on that elsewhere in the world some Korean products are knocking Japanese rivals off the shelves.

Many Japanese explain away the absence of Korean brands by claiming the quality is inferior. “South Korean products are still affected by a ‘cheap and nasty’ image, which remains prevalent among Japanese above a certain age,” wrote Hidehiko Mukoyama, an economist at the Japan Research Institute, in a research paper about Japan-South Korea trade relations.

The evidence says otherwise. Korean-made TVs, phones, washers and cars rate higher than many Japanese brands in independent tests by Consumer Reports, CNet and others. LG TVs have been getting favorable reviews in Japan. A local magazine, HiVi, recently rated a 32-inch, high-definition, 3-D-capable LG set-top ahead of televisions in its category from Mitsubishi and Sharp.

The unfamiliarity is not because tariffs make Korean products costlier. Japan eliminated the import duty on many Korean electronics products, including TVs and smartphones.

But this last holdout is finally being cracked open. In 2008, LG stopped selling its televisions in Japan, but it reintroduced them two years later. Now many of the biggest electronics retailers in Japan, including the No. 1 player, Yamada Denki, and the second-biggest chain, Biccamera, sell LG TVs.

At a suburban Tokyo branch of Nojima, a major Japanese retail chain, LG televisions are displayed prominently alongside sets from domestic brands like Sony, Sharp, Panasonic and Toshiba.

Kohei Tomizawa, a sales clerk, said LG TVs were selling briskly, though not as well as those from Sony. LG sets “tend to be more popular with younger people, and younger people don’t buy as many televisions as older customers, who tend to prefer well-known Japanese brands, like Sony,” Mr. Tomizawa said.

The quality myth may be less believable to a younger generation of consumers. With South Korean food and television shows popular in Japan, LG has latched on to the popularity of K-pop music across Asia and beyond. It has run ads for its smartphones in Japan that feature Kara, a Korean group that is popular in Japan.

“I think things have improved compared to the old days, thanks to the influence of Korean popular culture,” said Byoung-Uk Lee, assistant director of the Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency in Japan.

LG said it sold about $675 million worth of TVs, smartphones, washing machines, vacuum cleaners and other goods in Japan last year, up about 45 percent from 2010.

Samsung also pulled out of Japan in 2007, after failing to make much of a dent here. (The biggest Korean carmaker, Hyundai Motor, also beat a retreat from Japan shortly thereafter.)

But Samsung has come back for a second shot in Japan, starting with its smartphones. NTT Docomo, the largest mobile phone carrier in Japan, has turned to Samsung to try to fend off rising competition from two rival network operators, SoftBank and KDDI.

Those two companies have been poaching customers from Docomo, which does not offer the popular iPhone. “Docomo needs Samsung, and that is giving it an opening,” said Michito Kimura, an analyst at IDC, a research firm.

Starting in May, Docomo plastered Japanese cities with advertising posters featuring the flagship Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone alongside a Sony Xperia A. The campaign, for what Docomo bills as its “summer collection,” is the first time that any Japanese carrier has given such prominence to a Samsung phone.

So far, the results of Docomo’s embrace of Samsung have been mixed. Analysts say Samsung smartphones have been a tougher sell in Japan than in other countries where consumers are familiar with the brand through the televisions and other goods.

Docomo said that under its summer promotion, it had sold 400,000 Galaxy S4 phones through mid-July, but that was less than half the total of Sony Xperia A handsets.

Apple dominates the Japanese smartphone business, holding a 40 percent market share in the first quarter, according to IDC. Sharp, with 15 percent, and Sony, with 13 percent, follow. Samsung has not cracked the top five vendor ranks.

Japanese and Korean news media have reported that Samsung is considering re-entering the Japanese television market. Samsung declined to comment.

To succeed in Japan, Samsung will have a lot of work to do changing a mind-set. But some analysts, like Sea-Jin Chang, the author of “Sony vs. Samsung: The Inside Story of the Electronics Giants’ Battle for Global Supremacy,” are convinced that South Korean companies have a brighter future in Japan.

“Japanese customers favor domestic producers,” said Mr. Chang, executive director of the Center for Governance, Institutions and Organization at National University of Singapore. “No Korean or Western firms were good enough for them, except Apple. But you will find more Korean firms accepted in the Japanese mainstream in the future.”

Joshua Hunt contributed reporting.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2014, 01:25 AM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
why do they care when they have already tapped the Chinese market?
pretty much 1/2 of the cars in China are now Hyundai or Kia
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 1,004 Times in 194 Posts
Because they are too busy eating dogs and cats.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 1,004 Times in 194 Posts
Oh wait, you said IN Japan? i retract.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: