REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 04-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,920 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
Watch out! Professional Rental Scammers!

Serial bad tenants leave B.C. landlords in the lurch - British Columbia - CBC News

All this could have been avoided by a reference check?

B.C. landlords are calling for a bad tenant registry after several became unwilling targets of a pair of apparent serially-delinquent renters.

Kim Gouws said she hasn't seen a penny of the $5,000 she's owed from the couple who lived in her Maple Ridge rental unit since the end of January.

The pair pushed to move in early, on January 26th. Gouws only later learned that was likely because they'd just been served with an eviction notice five days earlier.

"We did a lot to allow them to come in when they wanted to," she said. "And then the original rent cheque and the deposit cheque bounced."

Just over two months later, the pair are now gone, but Gouws isn't the first landlord who lost rent money and pushed to evict the pair.

"She's been doing this all in a row." Gouws said. "She just been going from one to the other to the other and I don't know if those people get paid anything."

A CBC News investigation found that the couple, Susan and Chris Perret, have lived nearly rent-free in at least five homes over the past two years. CBC News found records going back to August 2012, when the pair were evicted from one Maple Ridge home.

Then, in late 2012 and early 2013, the couple lived in Suman Parasad's rental property in Maple Ridge. Parasad said for four months they ignored her eviction order.

"They refused, and the last time I went and asked, she said 'I'll go when I want to.' That really made me angry, and so I called the court bailiffs and said, 'evict them right now,'" Parasad said.

Suman Parasad is getting paid back the $7,900 she is owed in monthly instalments of $450.

Parasad says she is out $7,900 from the ordeal.

"It hurt me really badly, financially." Parasad said. "I am not going to let them go. I want my money, simple as that. I work very hard for it and I want my money."

After winning at the residential tenancy hearing, Parasad took her complaint to small claims court. After several hearings, the Perrets have begun to slowly pay her back at the rate of $450 per month.

Records show that the Perrets were then evicted from another Maple Ridge home in October 2013, and then moved into Noel Beaulieu's property in Mission in November.

One month's rent cleared, but the other cheques were returned, marked "not sufficient funds." Beaulieu says he is out $1,500.

Beaulieu was able to get an eviction notice in late January, and videotaped the whole thing. He said the Perrets seemed to know it was coming.

"They knew more about the Residential Tenancy Act than we did. They knew all the steps and they were anticipating each step as we took it," he said.

From there, the Perrets moved into Gouws's property.

CBC's Natalie Clancy reached Susan Perret by telephone, and asked why she wasn't paying rent for months at the properties on record.

"Well, there's a whole bunch of issues for everybody, right?" Perret said.

On Monday, Perret promised her lawyer would tell her side of the story, but that hasn't happened yet.

Knowing they are the fifth landlord to lose out on rent from the Perrets, Gouws says it's time the Residential Tenancy Branch make available a list of bad tenants.

"The Residential Tenancy Act should have had their names on there so we could call in and say, 'I would like to rent to these people' and what they could say to me would be 'I would not recommend that,'" Gouws said.

As it stands, she says it's too easy for repeat non-payers to keep living rent-free.

"The system doesn't really work for the landlords. I think it works much more for the tenants," Gouws said
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Always always do background check and credit check. If the no reference check from previous landlord and they refuse the sign the form that allow us to check their credit history their application goes to the garbage. Need at least 2 Reference from previous landlord.

I have had some horrible experience with renting out my apartments before. This time around I am not even sure if I should rent my apartment out or maybe just let a rental agency rent it out for me.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Since you just mentioned it MrHappySlip I don't think i'll be derailing too much; how much do rental agencies charge? Obviously it varies upon the value of the property etc. But just a ballpark figure.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Since you just mentioned it MrHappySlip I don't think i'll be derailing too much; how much do rental agencies charge? Obviously it varies upon the value of the property etc. But just a ballpark figure.
Not too sure but for my sister townhome I think they charge her 20 to 25% of the rent every month. She current rents it out at $1900.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Failed 703 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Not too sure but for my sister townhome I think they charge her 20 to 25% of the rent every month. She current rents it out at $1900.
Kind of off topic but they also do one time rent out fee too usually the full payment of the first month.
Posted via RS Mobile
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Failed 20 Times in 8 Posts
Scumbags.

I might be dealing with one right now.
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,096 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
"The system doesn't really work for the landlords. I think it works much more for the tenants," Gouws said
This is, and has been for years, the problem. Also the primary reason I don't look into properties where people can "help" me pay the mortgage. People renting their personal property shouldn't be at risk like they are today. The owner should have peace of mind that their best interests are kept when helping those who can't afford their own property to have a roof over their heads imo.

Just my 2 cents fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 AM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
What??? Your sister is getting ripped off big time, If they are charging 25%.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I thought 10% was the standard?!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,383 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 166 Times in 73 Posts
again, EVEN if the professional companies does it for you, you still get raped if the client bailed.

do a reference check
a) call previous rental landlords (yes they might be fake but that's why you ASK them specific questions that a regular friend wouldn't be able to answer) eg// how long have they lived there, OH btw, what LOCATION or suite number was it. were you the landlord. how often did they pay rent (cash or rent check). these questions will 100% bust the other end if it was a regular friend on the phone.

take these questions and coordinate back with what you have to see if it was legit.

2) always do a 30, 60 and 90 day inspection (in case they grow weed).
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 PM   #11
Director of RS Cares

Failed 107 Times in 22 Posts
I've always had a property management do the work for me. It's only $75-$100~ a month and they handle all the rent money and issues with the tenant. In my opinion, it's better to have somebody do the work for you when it comes to dealing with a business transaction. I know there's a stigma with tenants and how they're hard to deal with, but really.....they aren't bad at all.

Everytime a tenant leaves or what not (for a bigger place or they can't afford the rent $ anymore), my property manager sends me a full profile (employment, how their credit score is etc etc) and they give me the say in what I want. If I don't like that application, they will look for another tenant for me. If for some reason the tenant is being late with their payments or assholes (which I've been fortunate enough to not have to deal with except one time), my PM takes care of the problem.

Seriously, not worth the headache!