REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #51
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
If I'm about to give you the keys to a vehicle and you refuse to let me take a copy of your license then I don't want your business. Plain and simple. There is a ass for every seat and I don't mind waiting for the non-conspiracy theory tinfoil hat wearing paranoid person to buy it. However, the photocopier is right beside my desk which is close to the door so the client never loses sight of me. It's not like I'm going into a back room or something, which may be the case at a large dealership.

And if this is really for marketing purposes and they call or email you afterwards then just tell them to fuck off and remove your name from all mailing lists. It's not like the dealership is trying to fraud you or anything.
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #52
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
If I'm about to give you the keys to a vehicle and you refuse to let me take a copy of your license then I don't want your business. Plain and simple. There is a ass for every seat and I don't mind waiting for the non-conspiracy theory tinfoil hat wearing paranoid person to buy it. However, the photocopier is right beside my desk which is close to the door so the client never loses sight of me. It's not like I'm going into a back room or something, which may be the case at a large dealership.

And if this is really for marketing purposes and they call or email you afterwards then just tell them to fuck off and remove your name from all mailing lists. It's not like the dealership is trying to fraud you or anything.
Exactly, I don't see why people are raising a big stink about it. It's like Google using your search data to get ads that are "tailored" to you; get Ad-Block and you won't have to deal with any of their crap ever again and keep enjoying their service.

I've never worked at a car dealer, but I sure as hell would photocopy the drivers' DL with their information in case anything happened to the car, it's common sense. I've sold cars via CL and I've always taken a picture of the would-be buyer's DL before they drive it just to cover my ass. And not once has anyone ever complained about.

Bunch of people just raising a stink to raise a stink. It just takes a simple call or email to get off their mailing list and people are acting like its some big violation of privacy. In this day and age, everything is - so do your due diligence and get over it.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #53
degenerate extraordinaire

Failed 30 Times in 20 Posts
A good number of dealership require that the sales people get a copy of the test driver's DL. This is just for their own record in case somebody decides to just drive off with the car.

Half of the job of the sales people are to follow up on customers who have shown any interest. Pretty much anybody that has gone in for a test drive is created a profile, mainly because the idea is that people who test drive = potential customers, right?. The sales people do not solely live off of walk-in customers who purchase right away.

However, it is quite rare that they would obtain the information from the DL. For the most part, they ask for your information and the type of vehicles you may be interested in. They will look around to see if there are anything that may be of interest to those potential customers, and they call or email them about it.

If they do in fact try to follow up on you, just a simple "Sorry, I am no longer looking for a vehicle" is sufficient to stop them.

There is no need to insult them, as this is a part of their job.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #54
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,726 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Why don't you post your name, address, SIN, and credit card numbers for us?
I don't have anything to hide, but what is my benefit from revealing that info to YOU (or on this public forum), and why do you need to know?

Please continue, because I'd like to see where you're going to go with this.

Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #55
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
This thread has taken a turn for the worse so I'll end my stance on it here.

It appears that some people do not value privacy. If that's the case, fine. It's a free country.

I, personally, do not have a problem giving up my DL to the dealership if and when I go test drive a car. What I do have a problem with is for to take my information, then spamming me with e-mails, flyers, junk mail and what have you, without my consent while at the same time, misleading me as to what the information is used for. As I said in my original post, had the sales rep told me it would be added to a CRM and to be used for marketing purposes, I would have no problem of it whatsoever. I would even take the further step to say, "Hey, I'd like to opt-out, please. Is that cool?" But that didn't happen.

It's really simple for any one of you to pull the, "It's your fault! You should have known better!" card, but how is it your fault if the sales rep doesn't tell you or ask if it's okay to take your information for marketing purposes?

The principle here is the misinformation or miscommunication between the dealer and the customer. Taking your drivers license and misleading you after they take your personal information is the issue at hand.

The whole legality about the dealer getting your DL/info is a whole other slew for discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #56
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
Failed 65 Times in 15 Posts
the dealership I worked at when I was doing sales used a template sheet that would take their license and fill out yourself the customer was never allowed to fill a sheet out but were beside you when you did, an example would be like this

Time/Date 4:00 PM/June 3rd 2013
Name: John James Doe
Address: 9999 9th street, Vancouver
Height: 6 Feet
Weight: 200 Pounds
Hair color: Brown
Eye color: Brown
License class: 5
DL #: 999999
2008 Dodge Ram SLT black STK # 99999
Plate # D4 9999
Phone # and E-Mail address (if they are willing to give it out)

Nobody went on a test drive without filling one these out first or without a salesperson/employee, these sheets were kept in a binder nobody was allowed to remove pages from this binder and it was locked in a safe at the end of the day and kept under supervision by a receptionist or sales/general manager during the day, the info of any test drive could be retrieved if needed and without a actual copy of their license

Most of the time the info would get enter into a CRM and used for marketing purposes unless the customer specifically asked not to have it used for that purpose

Last edited by slicrick; 04-24-2014 at 06:43 PM.
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #57
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
i no longer work at a dealership, but we still photocopy every license and credit card of people taking courtesy cars. cc incase they get any parking tickets that go unpaid. if we need to collect a deductible from the customer (with their authorization), we have all the necessary info already. the photocopy with both pieces of info are shredded a month after the customer picks their own car up. like jgresch said at the beginning, its not always for marketing purposes.. in fact most of the time it's the dealership covering their own ass. was no different at any of the dealers i've worked at either. unfortunately nowadays you just have to hope that when you give a dealer your license you just have to trust they won't put you on some spam list
Posted via RS Mobile
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #58

I hear ya bcrdukes and totally agree. The misleading maneuvers are the basis for the report in the first place. I guess the dealership is afraid if they say it's for their database then the customer might say no and then they would not be able to obtain said info. They are most likely in breach of the Privacy Protection Act by those actions.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #59
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #60
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I agree with dukes in that the biggest issue here is the dishonesty. I don't mind them creating the profile or whatever so long as they're up front about it and give people the option to opt out without them having to ask what the copy will be used for. Dumping peoples info into a database without them knowing sounds like some kind of shady used car dealer tactic, not something you should expect from a major dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
underscore, you seem like a good guy, which is why I think you're unable to view this from the other perspective.
YOU wouldn't do anything wrong with the cars, but you wouldn't believe how many people that aren't you,
test drive these cars and are potentially a big risk by stepping into those cars.
I can believe that people would do things I wouldn't do to a car that isn't theirs, but what I'm asking is a pretty basic question. Are there a significant number of actual recorded incidents of people stealing/damaging cars on an unsupervised test drive, or are they just being paranoid about something that *might* happen.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #61
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
If you're not paranoid about something that might happen, why don't you get rid of the collision insurance on your car, and just roll with basic only?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:23 PM   #62
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 95 Times in 23 Posts
IMO, the idea of it is good, keep a copy of the drivers license with a consent form to track you down if you wreck the car, But keeping their information for marketing purposes I can see that being shady... But in sales though, I often call some of my old customers who purchased lots too see if their Computer or what not is working for them

Cliffs: Good idea wrong way of doing so.
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Are there a significant number of actual recorded incidents of people stealing/damaging cars on an unsupervised test drive, or are they just being paranoid about something that *might* happen.
It is not a common occurrence however it has happened. I can think of a few stories(coincidently at Dueck) that have happened over the last couple years that made the news. I can tell you that all it takes is 1 incident that could send a dealer into a whirlwind of legal issue and costs if a collision occurs. It's just good business to keep your ducks in a row in case something happens, which is different than being paranoid.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
In Victoria I've never been asked for a license when I test drove a car and it appears to be standard practice to not ask. The dealers don't even lock their cars when the dealer is open.

In Vancouver it's the total opposite.

If it's a ride along I see no reason why a dealer needs to do anymore than see that you have a driver's license. For a salesperson free drive I can see the need to get a good level of documentation.
supafamous is online now   Reply With Quote