REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #28676
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 64 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza_scott View Post
Lexus IS350 - $7,000 (price was $5,000 an hour ago, seller must have adjusted it)

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...132522875.html
If this is legit, and in clean condition, this is a good deal

The screen is a bitch to fix, but I fixed it myself before. It's not hard, but it's daunting and extremely time consuming.
Advertisement
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 AM   #28677
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,711 Times in 1,582 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
I'm surprised the car I have in mind hasn't been posted here yet - hopefully it stays that way HAHA. Just a question for you guys..

Car has 270K KM, it's German, it has 3 main issues: subframe, vanos, and rodbearings. This pretty much tells you what car I'm looking at.

I asked the seller about the 3 main issues:

1. What reinforcement plates did he use for the subframe?
2. Was Vanos ever rebuilt?
3. Was rod bearings done under recall?
4. When was the last valve adjustment?

I also asked about doing a PPI.

The seller responded saying that he didn't have time for that. So I assume it was for the PPI, but still no answer on my questions. So I asked the seller if it's ok if I take it for a PPI, I'll insure it, and take it to someone in the area. He responded with saying that the car is half the price of the other 6MT german cars around and that he's a mechanic and I shouldn't need a PPI.

Yeah it's half the price, and double the mileage. Guess my question is, is this a red flag or is this guy just a boomer? He does have multiple vettes.

Should I even bother with checking it out or doing a CarFax? My fear is I'll like the idea of the car so much I'll buy it HAHHA (this is exactly what happened with my 330)
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||

Last edited by BIC_BAWS; 05-30-2020 at 07:41 AM.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #28678
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
not sure if srs
run don’t walk
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 07:42 AM   #28679
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,899 Times in 7,391 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I wouldn’t consider a car if someone wouldn’t let me take it for a PPI, especially if you facilitate it, unless you are comfortable with spending the money to fix just about everything. That’s worst case of course. Will he show you service records or does he “have none because he’s a mechanic.”
If I couldn’t at least see a SHITLOAD of documentation of problem areas addressed and maintenance, I wouldn’t consider it without a PPI unless it left me like 10k in the table to fix shit.
A wise man once told me, you don’t buy the car, you buy the previous owner. I’ve purchased cars without a PPI (my e36) and it was the right call, but the owner a) worked with me for all the questions and concerns about the car and b) had a massive folder of documentation for the car. After that I was comfortable. Also he had no issues with letting me go for a PPI.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:52 AM   #28680
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
a well maintained honda/Toyota to daily for under 6-8k...probably safe

high mileage bmw that will see track and the owner is reluctant to answer questions or allow ppi? next
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #28681
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 14 Posts
Just throwing it out there. Sometimes, doing a PPI can backfire on both the buyer and the seller. Let's say buyer wants to buy a euro but never had a euro before. So they bring it to an "expert" shop in town that specialize in that brand for a ppi because the buyer doesn't know better. The car checks out decent. But the euro specialty shop also has a used car sales branch that wants the car for resale. The shop will sabotage the deal by shitting on the car with the buyer even though car car isn't that bad. Since, PPI results are usually paid for by the potential buyer, the shop won't usually disclose what they "found" to the seller. After reading the ppi report, buyer walks. Two weeks later, the used car sales manager from the shop call up the seller with a low ball offer saying that they know about the car and it needs this and that. Essentially, the buyer pays for the PPI for the shop to buy a good car from the seller at discount. I won't name any names but think of all the euro specialty repair shops in town that are also used car dealers. The conflict of interest is real.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #28682
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,353 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
I'm surprised the car I have in mind hasn't been posted here yet - hopefully it stays that way HAHA. Just a question for you guys..

Car has 270K KM, it's German, it has 3 main issues: subframe, vanos, and rodbearings. This pretty much tells you what car I'm looking at.
On this episode of Revscene Detective, we have a hidden German vehicle, let's see how long it takes them to crack the case.

'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #28683
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz View Post
Spoiler!
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...132687977.html
Old 05-30-2020, 08:24 AM   #28684
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
PPI is an absolute must if it a BMW.

I did one for a BMW that I was interested in six months ago. Turns out it reached at the point where everything needed to be serviced. At least around 3 grand including labour and parts. Owner wouldn't really budge on price. So I was able to walk away with a piece of mind.

Now it's sitting at Acura of Langley lol, not sure if those issues that came up on the PPI were addressed or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #28685

Since I search M3 on clist on average 22 times a day I figured it was new. This is the typical, "I know what I have, don't humor me with your knowledge or concerns". Also love the fact that he says "I won't sell it for less than 10 grand", but lists for 11500. Very Smrt
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #28686
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,247 Times in 613 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:

I asked the seller about the 3 main issues:

1. What reinforcement plates did he use for the subframe?
2. Was Vanos ever rebuilt?
3. Was rod bearings done under recall?
4. When was the last valve adjustment?

I also asked about doing a PPI.

The seller responded saying that he didn't have time for that. So I assume it was for the PPI, but still no answer on my questions. So I asked the seller if it's ok if I take it for a PPI, I'll insure it, and take it to someone in the area. He responded with saying that the car is half the price of the other 6MT german cars around and that he's a mechanic and I shouldn't need a PPI.

Yeah it's half the price, and double the mileage. Guess my question is, is this a red flag or is this guy just a boomer? He does have multiple vettes.

Should I even bother with checking it out or doing a CarFax? My fear is I'll like the idea of the car so much I'll buy it HAHHA (this is exactly what happened with my 330)
hahahha its funny because I literally watched this video before opening revscene and this is the first post I read....

So yea... like other people said... unless its cheap enough to accommodate all those issues... at this point you should just assume...

1) The subframe is cracked to a point that you dont even need it to be on a lift to see...

2) Engine had no maintenance whatsoever....

3) Rod bearings are shot ....

4) Valve adjustment... huhuhu refer to point # 2

So factor in the money you would spend on the 4 above items... and offer him a price with these factored in...

Could be a win ... with patience + money + a bit of luck =P

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #28687
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
The guy saying he's a mechanic but doesn't answer questions about common issues = none of them have been addressed and he wants to dump it on someone who doesn't know to ask.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #28688

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The guy saying he's a mechanic but doesn't answer questions about common issues = none of them have been addressed and he wants to dump it on someone who doesn't know to ask.
He mentioned in the ad that they were in good condition. Which doesn't really tell me anything. Subframe is apparently reinforced, but it seems like no M3 owner around knows what they used to reinforce it.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #28689
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,282 Times in 4,632 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
I won't name any names but think of all the euro specialty repair shops in town that are also used car dealers. The conflict of interest is real.
This made my day because it could not be any further from the truth.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #28690
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,417 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
Just throwing it out there. Sometimes, doing a PPI can backfire on both the buyer and the seller. Let's say buyer wants to buy a euro but never had a euro before. So they bring it to an "expert" shop in town that specialize in that brand for a ppi because the buyer doesn't know better. The car checks out decent. But the euro specialty shop also has a used car sales branch that wants the car for resale. The shop will sabotage the deal by shitting on the car with the buyer even though car car isn't that bad. Since, PPI results are usually paid for by the potential buyer, the shop won't usually disclose what they "found" to the seller. After reading the ppi report, buyer walks. Two weeks later, the used car sales manager from the shop call up the seller with a low ball offer saying that they know about the car and it needs this and that. Essentially, the buyer pays for the PPI for the shop to buy a good car from the seller at discount. I won't name any names but think of all the euro specialty repair shops in town that are also used car dealers. The conflict of interest is real.
Blitzkrieg tried to pull this on me with a 964 I wanted to buy. Shared the PPI report with the seller before I was sent a copy (even though I paid for the inspection) and then told the seller to stand firm on his price as they'll pay his ask if I don't take it.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:03 AM   #28691
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,275 Times in 303 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 9 Posts
How long has the guy owned this M3? this one line in his craigslist ad " I'm a licenced mechanic as well as being an engine builder and I have done all the maintenance for the last 7 years" makes it sound like he was just working on it and not the actual owner. May be why he doesn't have any answers.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #28692
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
The guy doesn't want to waste time with ppi because he knows it's priced right and someone will just show up and buy it for 10k without wasting his time
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #28693
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
E46m3 owner here chiming in. I would def pass on that 270k m3.
There’s a blue one for sale that’s not bad considering it’s a rebuild.

He wants 15k without the hre wheels. I think I recall seeing his mod list somewhere and most major items were done.

There have been a lot of e46 m3s for sale in the last year or so, so take your time. I don’t think it’s that hard to find a good one.

Good luck!
frost91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #28694

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost91 View Post

He wants 15k without the hre wheels. I think I recall seeing his mod list somewhere and most major items were done.

There have been a lot of e46 m3s for sale in the last year or so, so take your time. I don’t think it’s that hard to find a good one.

Good luck!
Would not do the blue one. I know too much about it to consider it a good buy. Might even make that 270K look good

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #28695

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost91 View Post

Good luck!
Pretty sure this one is sold now unfortunately, seller had someone coming today to grab it

In other news: I am thankful no one posted the car I had my eye on and picked it up today....will post pics soon
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
Old 05-30-2020, 11:41 PM   #28696
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,101 Times in 351 Posts
Failed 29 Times in 18 Posts
Dealer here. Just to speak to the above post. It's too time-consuming to plot out an elaborate failed inspection, wait 2 weeks to buy same-car scheme. Not saying it hasn't happened, but it definitely sounds like an anecdotal situation.

And shame on whatever shop did that. If you need to resort to such schemes you clearly don't care about your reputation or the longevity of relationships with your clients.

Kev
Old 05-31-2020, 07:43 AM   #28697
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Is he at least allowing you to test drive? Since he is an “expert”, why would he sell a decent shaped (as he described) high mileage car in the summer time at $6-10k below market?

Last year, I was in the market for a m3. One listed for $12k and the guy seems like be would settle for $9k. He just wanted to get rid of it. 130k km, but when I test drove the car the SMG light came on. I’m like uhhh no thanks.

I bought a higher priced one in better shape.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:33 AM   #28698

Yeah test drives allowed, but gotta pay for a day permit.

Did anyone here pick up that 14K S2000? It's off CL now.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #28699
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Yeah test drives allowed, but gotta pay for a day permit.

Did anyone here pick up that 14K S2000? It's off CL now.
I was in talks with the seller but didn't get a chance to view as the first guy that came put down a deposit. Sold yesterday for full ask.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:18 AM   #28700
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
Failed 87 Times in 26 Posts
a lot of car for the money

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...133768580.html

2000 Mercedes Benz CL500 - $6500

jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: