REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #34701
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
If he bought for $9-10k, plus tax that’s $11,200. He lists for $14.5k and he won’t get that.

All that work and risk for $1-2k flip? That’s 10% return lol
Not much work, I useto do this with cars in the 1-5k range

4hrs total including drive times, insurance swap, cleaning
250$/hr minimum

If the guy is in college or highschool, that serious money

Or the car is a lemon, and he is just trying to break even with a "lowball" offer
Advertisement

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #34702
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
Flipper probably didn’t even transfer title into their own name.

Pre signed regi and transfer from seller.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:05 PM   #34703
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
Depending on how bad that fender bender is, this could be a good buy: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4801503698263/
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #34704
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
Flipper probably didn’t even transfer title into their own name.

Pre signed regi and transfer from seller.
Tell me more about this.

As the buyer, I hand over cash and how do I become the owner but not register the car? How do I even drive it home?

As the seller, I get cash and the buyer can do whatever he wants? What would the seller sign?

I’m trying to sell a car right now. Curious to know what buyers might do.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:51 PM   #34705
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,857 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Tell me more about this.

As the buyer, I hand over cash and how do I become the owner but not register the car? How do I even drive it home?

As the seller, I get cash and the buyer can do whatever he wants? What would the seller sign?

I’m trying to sell a car right now. Curious to know what buyers might do.
So as the seller, all you need to do is sign the transfer form, and provide the signed registration paper (tearable strip at the bottom of your insurance). So what you could technically do is say, if you didn’t want to leave your home, Is take the cash, give the seller your registration and then fill in your part of the transfer form. They go to an autoplan brocher with the papers, transfer it into their name and pay tax etc and insure it.

What a curber will do is not fill their part in. Not register it in their name and not pay tax. Then when they flip the car, they will hand the paperwork that YOU filled out and YOUR registration to the next buyer, thus skipping them as owners and they make out with the profit. Yes it is fraud
Old 05-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #34706
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Why don't autoplan places not accept paperwork without all the boxes filled?
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:02 AM   #34707
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Because they don’t get the paperwork until the boxes are filled. You can’t refuse to accept something that’s never brought to you.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 07:15 AM   #34708
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
The part missing in the description above is that the flipper or "interim buyer" (lol) either throws a D plate on the car, or takes a chance and throws a plate from whatever car they own on to drive it to wherever they need it to be... or tows it.

They do not insure it.

Super resourceful ones might just ask you if you mind dropping the car at x location and then they will drive you back home or something.

The way to avoid this? Go with the person to the insurance place and complete the transfer or insist on getting your "seller's copy" of the APV9T back. A good excuse, if you're not a confrontational person, is to say that you want to go turn your plates in to cancel your insurance as well.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #34709
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Never ever ever ever let the car go without them giving you the completed sellers copy of the form. Ideally go with them to register the car in their name. Otherwise you're liable for any fees/damages/etc linked to that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
takes a chance and throws a plate from whatever car they own on to drive it to wherever they need it to be
Lol the guy did that when I bought my RX7. I didn't realize til I got back from the test drive and he moves the plate to another car so his girlfriend could go to work.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #34710
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 23 Times in 12 Posts
I don't know why people are so lazy and negligible in not wanting the seller copy of the transfer form. By the buyer not completing that you take the risk if anything happens it goes back to you because you are technically still the owner. And that could be a big headache.

Best thing to do is fill the transfer form complete, go to autobroker and transfer car ownership to their name, you leave with money and your transfer form. You have to keep that for 5 yrs as that is a legal document.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:28 AM   #34711
Performance Moderator

^ People want to sell their car, sometimes it can be quite hard... they're worried about anything going wrong that might upset the buyer and throw the deal and these type of buyers are quite manipulative, I've dealt with them a lot myself. I mostly deal with lower value cars (<$10k) and these guys are literally everywhere lol...

We're also car people too, we know what's up and even then some people here have no idea how these forms work. I've been shocked in the past how careless or ignorant people I've bought cars from are... like if it were someone other than me, I could have fleeced them completely... literally explaining to them as a buyer how to sell the car to me and things like that haha

I totally understand why so many people just trade their cars in at dealerships (besides the tax savings) or those cash for your car buying services have become so popular in places like the USA.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #34712

gotta say, this community is an abundance of info even on buying / selling.

Goodjob chaps.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...484688969.html

tempting.. but theres not much left of that quarter panel.

yet a few hundred bucks more gets you one of these.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...488857566.html

Old 05-27-2022, 09:14 AM   #34713
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
I don't know why people are so lazy and negligible in not wanting the seller copy of the transfer form. By the buyer not completing that you take the risk if anything happens it goes back to you because you are technically still the owner. And that could be a big headache.

Best thing to do is fill the transfer form complete, go to autobroker and transfer car ownership to their name, you leave with money and your transfer form. You have to keep that for 5 yrs as that is a legal document.
I always go with them when i'm the seller. watch them regi and plate it. also, until you know that has happened - you can't use your own plates for the next 10 days grace period if you're car buying.

however - I never take the seller with me when i'm the buyer. i passively discourage it. last thing i want is to hang out with the seller after the deal is done. especially w motorcycles, or project cars. I might not insure it right away.

I've never personally title skipped, but I have bought a car and a bike that way

bottom line is there are some nuances to the process. you are not required to immediately beeline to an insurance broker if you don't want to.

will some of this change under the new taxation rules? I guess that's unclear. We still don't really know how that is going to work.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:19 AM   #34714
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Failed 154 Times in 35 Posts
seems like some sellers are starting to ask more realistic prices in the last week or so
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 09:25 AM   #34715
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
I always go with them when i'm the seller. watch them regi and plate it. also, until you know that has happened - you can't use your own plates for the next 10 days grace period if you're car buying.

however - I never take the seller with me when i'm the buyer. i passively discourage it. last thing i want is to hang out with the seller after the deal is done. especially w motorcycles, or project cars. I might not insure it right away.

I've never personally title skipped, but I have bought a car and a bike that way

bottom line is there are some nuances to the process. you are not required to immediately beeline to an insurance broker if you don't want to.

will some of this change under the new taxation rules? I guess that's unclear. We still don't really know how that is going to work.
I am exactly the same. I prefer they don't come with me, but if they resist at all I don't argue.

The APV9T also states at the top of it that you do not have to present it at an autoplan broker for up to 10 days from the date of the sale. So legally there is no obligation to go with the seller to complete the transfer. It's a real grey area between the buyer/seller, kind of have to feel each other out with what everyone is comfortable doing.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:33 AM   #34716
Performance Moderator

Quote:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...484688969.html

tempting.. but theres not much left of that quarter panel.
Was eyeballing this hard... that rust is pretty bad... B16 is yummy, would be a no brainer if it was a B18C

Hurts to know I sold my K20 EK for only $6500 with no rust lol... not sure I could accept a rusty B16 for a bit less... though the EG is sexier than the EK right now I think
Old 05-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #34717
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
I've never had an incomplete transfer form, always get the buyer to sign then take sellers copy. As yes I think if shit happens to the car afterwards you're still on the hook, so you have that to cover your ass, then cancel or transfer your plates, why would you pay extra days to ICBC
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #34718
I don't get it

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teggy604 View Post
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...486940092.html

Same 2004 Blue EP3 with 85000km, mint condition on CL last month for less than 10K?

here you go. lol
I went to go look at this car and noticed the following issues.

- Car has been repainted within the last couple of years, their is clear coat peeling on the roof and near the doors.
- Seller told me its riding on cut springs
- VIN looks to be missing from the rad support, I looked it at it quickly but I may have missed it.
- Body kit paint is cracking in some areas, almost looks like it was installed and painted while on the car. The installation of the sideskirts near the door just doesn't look right

In my books, a hard pass even at 10k. At this price the car should be in stellar condition, with maintenance / service records. Seller claims he purchased it for 2k more than the asking price because it was that good.

Last edited by ali36; 05-27-2022 at 10:04 AM.
ali36 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 10:00 AM   #34719
Performance Moderator

^ Seller is a liar, I asked him some honest questions about it and he told me he spent $3,000 on putting a new suspension in it???

LOL... now you're saying cut springs... wow... those are some expensive cut springs
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 10:03 AM   #34720
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post

I will always go as well.
Years ago when I sold my old civic, I went with the buyer to the insurance place. The insurance place wouldn't process the transfer because he had outstanding traffic tickets. He didn't have cash on hand that day to pay those.
He did come back with cash to pay for the tickets the next day and we completed the sale, but for piece of mind I was so happy that I had gone with him.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #34721

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
why would you pay extra days to ICBC
because you can use your removed plates to go acquire your new car, and drive it home without registering it - for up to 10 days after selling your previous one.

i've done this multiple times. Especially handy if you have to go to the island for a running project and don't want to pay for $$$ tow/trailer transport.

as i said, as the SELLER I go to the broker w the buyer, and watch em pay the tax and do the transfer. It's a condition of sale for me, and eliminates potential liability
Old 05-27-2022, 10:48 AM   #34722

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...488683245.html

last of the cheap attainable non rebuild manual e46 M3

Seller being upfront of what has not been addressed yet. but a nice drive as you maintain slowly basis kind of car.

This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2022, 11:08 AM   #34723

Quote:
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...488683245.html

last of the cheap attainable non rebuild manual e46 M3

Seller being upfront of what has not been addressed yet. but a nice drive as you maintain slowly basis kind of car.
yep - it's tempting. keep the miles off it a bit, let the others catch up. Easily drive that car for free.

My picky ass can't tolerate a black or silver one. Anything else (except PY obviously) and I'd be making a move.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:31 AM   #34724
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,164 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
Anyone need a 5.0 swap
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...488963460.html
tegra7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:19 PM   #34725
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
The other danger no one has mentioned:

If you sell your car, and they drive off without swapping titles, then crash it, YOU are responsible for all damages.
If you have basic insurance, then you could easily be in the hundreds / thousands assuming it went into a building / lighting pole / etc

I sold one of my Z4s to a guy that flew in from Alberta, he did not bring his passport (since you don't need it for domestic), then we went to transfer the title, and get it insured for his drive home.
Since he only had his driver's licence, the agent could not transfer the car (system required two pieces or something)

So he drove the car home under my insurance, then mailed me transfer papers a week later.
I would have never let someone do this otherwise, only because the guy flew out and paid full price for the car

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: