REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #34726
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Do you have corroboration for that? I don't think so... I mean the form itself says you have 10 days to present it from the point of sale.

Once you've signed and dated the APV9T and handed over the signed bottom portion of the registration it's not your car anymore.

In your case, yah you let the guy keep it insured with your plates on it and drove it away that's risky for you... but if you sold it and removed your plates, it's not your fault if the other person doesn't actually change title. Initially if an incident occurred you'd be taking some heat, but if it came down to proving anything in court you wouldn't be responsible anymore.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM   #34727
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...482826257.html

Maybe? Lol
Old 05-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #34728
Performance Moderator

Did you mean to post that in the Fails thread? I think that's where it was last time.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:46 PM   #34729
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If body is good engines must be prevalent no?
Old 05-27-2022, 05:07 PM   #34730
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,857 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Blown motor and maaco paint job. Someone making a drift car maybe it’s relevant. Otherwise nahhhhh
Old 05-27-2022, 05:16 PM   #34731
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
From drive smart BC

https://www.drivesmartbc.ca/miscellaneous/seller-beware

"We strongly recommend going together with the buyer to ensure that the registration transfer is processed in a timely manner and that your name and any insurance and licence products are removed from the vehicle registration record. This is important in avoiding any possible liability claims associated with the future operation of the vehicle by the purchaser"
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #34732

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
most insurances places i know wont even process the transfer until both parties are present and w/ matching ID's.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:13 PM   #34733
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
most insurances places i know wont even process the transfer until both parties are present and w/ matching ID's.

I’ve never encountered a broker that requires both parties to be there. Never even remotely questioned. Not sure where you’re going or how often you do car deals, but I’d say your sample group might be too small.

To further that - if I did run into a broker that refused to do what I know that absolutely can do, I'd happily walk out and never use them again.

The brokers don't make the rules - they should consider themselves lucky to be getting a piece of the pie.

Spoiler!
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2022, 01:37 AM   #34734
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I am exactly the same. I prefer they don't come with me, but if they resist at all I don't argue.

The APV9T also states at the top of it that you do not have to present it at an autoplan broker for up to 10 days from the date of the sale. So legally there is no obligation to go with the seller to complete the transfer. It's a real grey area between the buyer/seller, kind of have to feel each other out with what everyone is comfortable doing.
Let’s say buyer pays cash to seller then take the car. How would the buyer drive the car away without insurance?

As the seller, can I simply remove the plate and bring that to my broker to cancel my insurance? What documentation do I need to prove that I’m no longer the car owner?

I have sold 3 cars in my life. Buyers always went to the Autoplan with me. Same when I buy used cars. Seller and I sit down together at the Autoplan.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:26 AM   #34735
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Let’s say buyer pays cash to seller then take the car. How would the buyer drive the car away without insurance?

As the seller, can I simply remove the plate and bring that to my broker to cancel my insurance? What documentation do I need to prove that I’m no longer the car owner?

I have sold 3 cars in my life. Buyers always went to the Autoplan with me. Same when I buy used cars. Seller and I sit down together at the Autoplan.
It was mentioned earlier, they may elect to throw their own plate on (not legit unless they also sold their car within the last 10 days) and drive at their own risk or tow the vehicle. Most likely the former. They could also take the paperwork and go swap registration and get a plate or temp permit.

When you turn your plates in, you must also bring the top portion of the first page of your registration papers or you’ll be charged a documentation reprint fee… the bottom tear away portion would have been signed and given to the buyer but you need to retain the top 2/3rds. You may also not want to do this for 10 days as Producer mentioned if you’re buying another car. They will ask why you are cancelling and will put a comment in saying Vehicle Sold but it’s not required. If you’re really concerned about ownership chain, I would do up a simple bill of sale with a time and date field signed by yourself and the buyer.

ICBC cares very little about this side of things — EG: I’ve sold a few cars to the USA which does not require an APV9T transfer form, and you cannot even get an autoplan agent to take any paperwork for it… so somewhere in ICBC’s giant database they probably still show me as the registered owner of those vehicles even though they’re no longer in the country anymore and, in some cases, haven’t been for nearly 10 years now.

I’ve also attended at the same time as the other party as a buyer or seller, but it depends on the nature of the transaction, haven’t always gone as a seller and have not always gone with the seller as a buyer.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #34736

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
I’ve never encountered a broker that requires both parties to be there. Never even remotely questioned. Not sure where you’re going or how often you do car deals, but I’d say your sample group might be too small.

To further that - if I did run into a broker that refused to do what I know that absolutely can do, I'd happily walk out and never use them again.

The brokers don't make the rules - they should consider themselves lucky to be getting a piece of the pie.

Spoiler!
you're right. Ive only sold like 3 cars in my life but they've all requested that both parties be present. Same with my buddy's is300. They asked for the owners IDs. Seems like a safe policy to adhere to.

p.s. i did have beef with the insurance place's request that we HAVE TO PUT ON THE SALE price of the car instead of their fair market value price. If my buddy said he paid 100k for this IS300, government would have no issues charging him taxes on that 100k. But the fair market value (according to the insurance guy's system) is only 4.5k. So the owner and my buddy agreed to put on 5k for the sale price of the car instead of 17k. Government has no problem with you overpaying, just when you underdeclared then they get all uppity and force people to pay the fair market value.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:35 AM   #34737
Performance Moderator

You’re not going to be happy with the new system coming in, they won’t even ask you how much you paid and just charge you based on an average selling price for that vehicle. Even if you paid less, you still pay tax on a higher amount. The amount you are quoting currently is not fair market value by the way, it’s the lowest possible price they allow for that vehicle before saying you must declare why the price is so low.

You’re lucky the agent even told you where the line was, it’s hard to find an agent that will divulge it anymore.

Not sure why they asked for the sellers ID though, totally unnecessary.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:47 AM   #34738
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
I always overpay for my cars so I’m good.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #34739
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Tax on used cars is the biggest scam on earth.
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:55 AM   #34740

Property transfer tax on a home where you’re the occupant is up there too. Flips should be 90% tax and primary residence should be zero
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #34741
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
WHY IS EVERYONE SCAMMING ME
trollface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #34742
Performance Moderator

I’ve got a bridge for sale if you’d like to live under it
Old 05-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #34743
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 354 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 16 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-e3cc1c0f35f8

1999 Mitsubishi eclipse
$4,000

rps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2022, 04:49 PM   #34744
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
I’ve got a bridge for sale if you’d like to live under it
Does it come with an NFT of the bridge and the corisponding token?

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:58 PM   #34745
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 103 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
It was mentioned earlier, they may elect to throw their own plate on (not legit unless they also sold their car within the last 10 days) and drive at their own risk or tow the vehicle. Most likely the former. They could also take the paperwork and go swap registration and get a plate or temp permit.

When you turn your plates in, you must also bring the top portion of the first page of your registration papers or you’ll be charged a documentation reprint fee… the bottom tear away portion would have been signed and given to the buyer but you need to retain the top 2/3rds. You may also not want to do this for 10 days as Producer mentioned if you’re buying another car. They will ask why you are cancelling and will put a comment in saying Vehicle Sold but it’s not required. If you’re really concerned about ownership chain, I would do up a simple bill of sale with a time and date field signed by yourself and the buyer.

ICBC cares very little about this side of things — EG: I’ve sold a few cars to the USA which does not require an APV9T transfer form, and you cannot even get an autoplan agent to take any paperwork for it… so somewhere in ICBC’s giant database they probably still show me as the registered owner of those vehicles even though they’re no longer in the country anymore and, in some cases, haven’t been for nearly 10 years now.

I’ve also attended at the same time as the other party as a buyer or seller, but it depends on the nature of the transaction, haven’t always gone as a seller and have not always gone with the seller as a buyer.
Thank you that’s very helpful. It’s quite impressive how Carfax can track these things but with all these nuances it also cannot be trusted 100%.
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:20 PM   #34746
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps13 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-e3cc1c0f35f8

1999 Mitsubishi eclipse
$4,000

Spoiler!
Sold already. Who here picked it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #34747

Brian Spilner
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2022, 08:31 PM   #34748
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Brian Spilner
Just gotta spend another 10K to make it a 10 second car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2022, 08:51 PM   #34749
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
Better watch out for danger to manifold
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-29-2022, 09:14 AM   #34750
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post
Thank you that’s very helpful. It’s quite impressive how Carfax can track these things but with all these nuances it also cannot be trusted 100%.
CarFax or ICBC Check are good screeners but shouldn't be taken as gospel... ICBC one only really works if it's been in BC it's whole life.

They definitely do not capture everything though, especially in Canada CarFax isn't so good... and nobody can prevent people who don't go through insurance and fix their cars on their own.

My Dad's 95 MR2 I recently sold had a big claim from someone using a BB gun to shoot out the tail lights and back window, etc... went through ICBC for it... it was NOT on the CarFax anywhere when I ran it prior to selling since every American asks for it. I also have receipts from when it was in Texas and had a front end repaint (the previous owner was a DJ and told me a girl's BF got mad and vandalized his car) but that was also not on the CarFax because he didn't go through insurance for it.

TLDR: there's no such thing as a sure thing haha
This post thanked by: