REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-21-2024, 08:08 PM   #39651
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i'm curious what industry as a new grad pays $70-$80k on average out the gate.

as much as i like to shake my fist at clouds and complain how today's youth have it so easy, i think that salary for a new grad is not the norm, and would say they'd be very lucky to bag a gig that pays that.

i could be out of touch with today's market though.
Transit Operator, $40.37 per hour after two years which translates to almost 80k of working minimum hours. All you need is a clean driving record.

If you are on the spare board, you can sign work or get rated based on seniority, and get first crack at over time. Doing this will push your annual salary past 100k.

The job was decent when I first started in 2015, but current work conditions and running time is starting to make it not so appealing. But I have decent seniority that I am able to sign work with built in overtime for each seasonal sign up

EDIT: Once you're under the TransLink umbrella, you will have access to all of the internal job postings, and what ever educational background you have, you can always move around
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2024, 09:35 PM   #39652
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,881 Times in 992 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
So on strike, time to hoard toilet paper?

How does TransLink work? I see their hiring and you start at $26? You have to suck it up with split shift? But I also dunno how it works since aren't they super broke and on the brink of bankruptcy?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 10:11 PM   #39653

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
So on strike, time to hoard toilet paper?

How does TransLink work? I see their hiring and you start at $26? You have to suck it up with split shift? But I also dunno how it works since aren't they super broke and on the brink of bankruptcy?
Training wage starts at $28, once out of training then you're at $30, then it goes up every 8 months until you hit the top wage of $40.37

Starting out initially you're either on split shifts or crappy night work in Vancouver. Only way to avoid that initially is to put in a transfer request to work out of a different garage.

Every couple of years TransLink will put out from propaganda saying we broke as shit but eventually gets funded by federal and provincial money
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 10:13 AM   #39654

Ahhh so sounds like AC strike is coming soon too
Old 08-22-2024, 10:33 AM   #39655

Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,312 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Ahhh so sounds like AC strike is coming soon too
I've talked to a few ppl about it, and the pilot strike is 100% going to happen, but it shouldn't last. AC stands to lose 10m a day during the strike, and it'll take at least a week for all the kinks to be worked out after the strike.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:01 PM   #39656
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:

as much as i like to shake my fist at clouds and complain how today's youth have it so easy, i think that salary for a new grad is not the norm, and would say they'd be very lucky to bag a gig that pays that.

Accountants start at $50-60K- > $70-90K by year 2/3.

Graduate at 21, and you'll at $70-90K with 0 talent by 22/23! They're a dime a dozen, we churn them out at BCIT / UBC DAP, any monkey can do it.

CPA by 24-29 and suddenly you're making $90-135K TC working < 20-30 hours a week in industry. If ya wanna stick it out to director+, sky has no limit. You're also pivoted to do consulting on the side or start your own SMB.

If you manage to make it into consulting (Not management), you're starting at $70-80K at most of the big 4's before bonus

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:18 PM   #39657
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
What happened to the $250K salaries?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 12:34 PM   #39658
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,144 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:

If you do customer support or customer success at a tech company (or anything similar to it) it can start around $45-65k. That's often for people with just a high school education if you have some related work experience.

If you're a software developer and do a couple solid co-op terms you can easily land a $100k+ job and lots more if you're really lucky (like with Amazon, Salesforce, Microsoft etc).

From what I can gather you can graduate from university with an average degree and find yourself a $50-60k job without a tonne of effort but it's the next step (getting promoted or moving to a bigger company that pays more for the same work) that's more challenging.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 12:37 PM   #39659
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,365 Times in 460 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
for tech? never really been in Canada for tech

always had to hop south of the border

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 12:38 PM   #39660
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,502 Times in 956 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Very hard even for tech boys, gotta go south. In most cases, you're 10-25+ years deep in your career for any other professional field. Plus you successfully climbed the ladder and didn't get stuck as a senior/manager.

Even breaking $200K total income, the best chance in Canada is
- WFH day job - $100-140K
- 2nd Job consulting / random side hustle - $10-50K
- Stock/Rental portfolio $10-35K/year

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 08-22-2024 at 12:45 PM.
Gerbs is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 12:44 PM   #39661

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
for tech? never really been in Canada for tech

always had to hop south of the border
It does happen in Canada if you are either fairly senior at a Canadian company or you work for the Canadian arm of a big tech company.

Simple example: https://www.clio.com/about/careers/j...OSTING-3-1750/ (~$230k base)

If you're working for Amazon, Microsoft etc locally as a Sr. Product Manager (say 10 years experience) you can clear $250k quite easily after bonuses and stock.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 12:58 PM   #39662

I see a lot of managers not break $100 locally, managers at $80-$100. No ot pay cuz manager. I also see a lot of people in tech making $75-$110 and in so called senior developer positions too.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:36 PM   #39663
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,826 Times in 5,897 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Locally it seems like you have to be at the VP or Director level to break 200 in most cases.

People like to throw around numbers like oh yea buddy makes this or this position makes that, I think people vastly underestimate roles and what’s required that pay 200+ locally.

And I’m talking about regular working salary, not working thousands of hours of OT or bonuses, stock options, etc.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:40 PM   #39664

Thanked 10,135 Times in 3,626 Posts
Failed 468 Times in 233 Posts
Not true in my field…. But my field is asinine. Marine pilots make 500k. Harbor master makes 400k. Managers…. Well suffice to say they are well above those numbers.

VPs are like half a mill to 800k

The problem is getting in. You need relative marine experience. You cannot just say you row a kayak and sign up. In order to get relative marine experience you need to either start as a deck hand on a tug or be in the Canadian navy. It’s pretty hard getting in.

I’ve always said if you want money go become an underwater electrician or welder.

You just need a welding certification and a scuba license and boom you’re 500k a year plus.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 02:02 PM   #39665

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
The title manager gets thrown around too much. Everyone is a manager so the company can make them do more while paying them nothing.

Sales manager. You're either working at Forever 21 or Porshe.

I'm a Grill Manager and make $19.70 hr.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 02:10 PM   #39666

Go grill on bc ferries. It’ll get your foot in the door for marine
Old 08-22-2024, 02:22 PM   #39667

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
If you do customer support or customer success at a tech company (or anything similar to it) it can start around $45-65k. That's often for people with just a high school education if you have some related work experience.

If you're a software developer and do a couple solid co-op terms you can easily land a $100k+ job and lots more if you're really lucky (like with Amazon, Salesforce, Microsoft etc).

From what I can gather you can graduate from university with an average degree and find yourself a $50-60k job without a tonne of effort but it's the next step (getting promoted or moving to a bigger company that pays more for the same work) that's more challenging.
Quote:
It does happen in Canada if you are either fairly senior at a Canadian company or you work for the Canadian arm of a big tech company.

Simple example: https://www.clio.com/about/careers/j...OSTING-3-1750/ (~$230k base)

If you're working for Amazon, Microsoft etc locally as a Sr. Product Manager (say 10 years experience) you can clear $250k quite easily after bonuses and stock.
From my friends' accounts, Microsoft pays poorly in Vancouver. A senior PM was barely breaking 100k just before covid.

Amazon paid poorly in Vancouver as well before covid, a L5 top range was 150k salary + 5 figure signing bonus + 5 figure RSU. They had to double up everything during the craze. I have no idea where things are now as they aren't really hiring.

Apple senior is 220k in Vancouver ATM, can be variable based on the team.

Clio has a decent presence in Vancouver, though even then I question if that's a "real" job posting. A lot of postings aren't real it seems, they post but aren't actually hiring.

Tech is still a bit of a shit show all around. I'm always passively looking ever since I got laid off in 2022 and the pickings are slim. I am making well above non-FAANG Vancouver right now and if I lose this job it would SUCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Very hard even for tech boys, gotta go south. In most cases, you're 10-25+ years deep in your career for any other professional field. Plus you successfully climbed the ladder and didn't get stuck as a senior/manager.

Even breaking $200K total income, the best chance in Canada is
- WFH day job - $100-140K
- 2nd Job consulting / random side hustle - $10-50K
- Stock/Rental portfolio $10-35K/year
This actually sounds about right ATM, but if you have a family it's unlikely you can pull off the 2nd consulting job/side hustle. The taxes beyond 250k also right don't make a ton of sense unless you can blow clean through the top tax bracket and land at 350+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Locally it seems like you have to be at the VP or Director level to break 200 in most cases.

People like to throw around numbers like oh yea buddy makes this or this position makes that, I think people vastly underestimate roles and what’s required that pay 200+ locally.

And I’m talking about regular working salary, not working thousands of hours of OT or bonuses, stock options, etc.
Most jobs that's not "professional" (ie lawyer, tech, specific skills like what Hobz says) is extremely hard to break the 100k mark. A manager at a fast food joint, or H&M isn't really all that great and unlikely to break 100k.

A 100k-200k salary job requires a lot skills that people who hold those jobs don't realize they already have and display everyday at their job, and it's not something that a 80k person can just drop in and tread water in, even if given all domain knowledge.

I'll take myself for an example. I am making 170k right now. I do my work everyday and I don't really think about it. But put 10 years ago me, or even 6 years ago me in my job, that younger me would look at myself like I'm god. It's something to think about when if all of a sudden you are feeling like you have imposter syndrome. And that's only the technical bit. There's the soft skills of being able to cut out all the BS from communications and pick out the little pieces of value.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 03:21 PM   #39668

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
From my friends' accounts, Microsoft pays poorly in Vancouver. A senior PM was barely breaking 100k just before covid.
That doesn't line up with anything I've been told or seen logged. You can see an ongoing log of local PM salaries here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?gid=0#gid=0

The range is pretty big and there are clearly some companies that pay shit but MS isn't one of them - using base pay isn't a good comp for them as so much of their comp is from stock and bonuses. The base may be $150k but all the Sr. PMs I know clear $250k there.

Quote:
Amazon paid poorly in Vancouver as well before covid, a L5 top range was 150k salary + 5 figure signing bonus + 5 figure RSU. They had to double up everything during the craze. I have no idea where things are now as they aren't really hiring.
An L5 PM at Amazon is pretty junior though (relatively speaking) so clearing $200k all-in is pretty great. We're talking people with a few years of work experience getting this kind of job.

Quote:
Apple senior is 220k in Vancouver ATM, can be variable based on the team.
My Sr. Dev pal at Apple cleared $400k last year and I know a Sr. Designer at Stripe that did the same in year 1 there. Both local. EA, oddly enough, can pay really well depending on the role especially past year 3. Like this Director job which is base $194-270k while the bonuses there take you into $400k by year 2 and nearly $500k by year 3.

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/184881...lQRi_OBm-qWkbs

Quote:
Clio has a decent presence in Vancouver, though even then I question if that's a "real" job posting. A lot of postings aren't real it seems, they post but aren't actually hiring.
My shareholder reports and my insiders say those are real jobs and they are hiring very consistently. I'm very pleased with the performance of the company.

Edit: The reason it sometimes seems like Clio doesn't really hire for open postings is that they often don't hire locally even if the job is open here. They're kinda in nowhere land for hiring where they pay more than local companies but not as much as big tech and that specific tier of talent is hard to hire for locally (a lot of the ones that work for local companies aren't good enough and the ones at big tech don't want to give up the money)

Last edited by supafamous; 08-22-2024 at 04:14 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 03:37 PM   #39669

Thanked 3,825 Times in 994 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
I need a new job
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 04:00 PM   #39670

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
I need a new job
I thought your f/t job was to find Golf Rs that you won't buy?
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 04:01 PM   #39671
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
His fulltime job is his username
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 04:38 PM   #39672

Quote:
That doesn't line up with anything I've been told or seen logged. You can see an ongoing log of local PM salaries here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?gid=0#gid=0

The range is pretty big and there are clearly some companies that pay shit but MS isn't one of them - using base pay isn't a good comp for them as so much of their comp is from stock and bonuses. The base may be $150k but all the Sr. PMs I know clear $250k there.

An L5 PM at Amazon is pretty junior though (relatively speaking) so clearing $200k all-in is pretty great. We're talking people with a few years of work experience getting this kind of job.
L6 and above are typically for ppl managers or engineering managers, or beyond senior isn't it? Their levels are quite broad iirc as L4 is entry level, L5 is intermediate to senior, and L6 is manager or staff/architech.

Quote:
My Sr. Dev pal at Apple cleared $400k last year and I know a Sr. Designer at Stripe that did the same in year 1 there. Both local. EA, oddly enough, can pay really well depending on the role especially past year 3. Like this Director job which is base $194-270k while the bonuses there take you into $400k by year 2 and nearly $500k by year 3.

https://ea.gr8people.com/jobs/184881...lQRi_OBm-qWkbs
EA is an odd one. I encountered a job at EA back in 2014 that would have paid in the 140 range for some one with minimal experience. Obviously probably not easy to get hired and I was too chickenshit to try, but it's there.

Apple is again an odd one, each team can name their positions whatever they like, and band it whatever they want so no one position would be an equal match on another team. I am looking at some SR positions right now with them and they all top out a 210-220. I've seen some SR positions top out at 175, which reinforces the teams do whatever the heck they like.

Quote:
My shareholder reports and my insiders say those are real jobs and they are hiring very consistently. I'm very pleased with the performance of the company.

Edit: The reason it sometimes seems like Clio doesn't really hire for open postings is that they often don't hire locally even if the job is open here. They're kinda in nowhere land for hiring where they pay more than local companies but not as much as big tech and that specific tier of talent is hard to hire for locally (a lot of the ones that work for local companies aren't good enough and the ones at big tech don't want to give up the money)
Clio's office isn't that big in Vancouver, they are on Canada Way next to BCAA. I used to walk by there all the time. With me being in the QA world, I don't qualify for their jobs. I looked at their JDs and they do TDD and no QA so I don't match what they are looking for.

There's a lot of shitty tech ppl in Vancouver(but they exist everywhere), and I'm in an odd and potentially dying space of QA/SDET/performance testing. There's maybe 10 ppl that I would hire that I've worked with in the last 12 years of my career, the rest either can't code, can't think, can't communicate, or all of the above. We were hiring for SR SDETs at my previous previous job and our hiring rate at the phone screen was 1%, the hiring rate after technical was about 10%.
Old 08-22-2024, 06:44 PM   #39673
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
The $250K part was a joke (RS reference) but I see this thread took off in a different direction.

For someone like Badhobz, $250K is half his year's wage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 06:56 PM   #39674

Yah straight to friggin spy balloon’s pocket. She gives me shit when I order mcdicks without a coupon. I keep telling her there isn’t a coupon for McDoubles.

Stupid cheap hoe
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2024, 08:04 PM   #39675

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,579 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
I'm at this point in my life now and now I'm like how do I make a career transition bc all the career advice is for new grads, whereas, I just have a shit load of experience but same education level as prior.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: