REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #19676
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Oh momma. The way an RX7 should have come. haha. Still one of my favourite cars and favourite swaps.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 09:54 AM   #19677
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There is a reason no one sees j body cavaliers and sunfires on the road anymore. They literally had a 100k lifespan.
We used to put so much passion into our Hondas and Subarus. Any repair hat was needed, we would buy the parts and bust our knuckles making it just a little bit better.

For me, it was the build quality that led me to the import world. But let's face it, modern day imports aren't like they were in the 90's. They're no longer built in Japan, and they're built cheap. The eg civic had some of the best suspension design ever put in a commuter car. You don't see that anymore.

The domestics did one thing well, torque. That's what drew me to my g8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Ok GM theme page. I would drive this!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-mazda-rx-7-19/
Fuken amazing!!'
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:53 AM   #19678
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,188 Times in 241 Posts
Failed 326 Times in 95 Posts
k

Last edited by is350; 05-13-2020 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ik
is350 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #19679

k

Last edited by is350; 05-13-2020 at 11:42 PM. Reason: ,
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #19680
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,914 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
No. 15 years ago any parking lot you were in would be half full of them. Literally 99% of them are cubes now.
I'm not even close to someone that hates American cars, but the 90s and early 2000s most of them were garbage piles.
Remember that time THE BIG 3 WENT BANKRUPT and needed the us government to bail them out? It wasn't because they were making great products.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #19681
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
i never see Sunfires on the road...i did see an accident on the highway where it went under a logging truck and the entire roof was ripped off thou...
Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #19682
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I also agree that you hardly see any Crapliers in Metro Van anymore. Even their replacement model -- the Cobalt -- doesn't seem that common either. At the time when these Cobalts were new, they were quite plentiful on the street.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #19683
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Having bought my first modern day RWD v8 recently, I can sincerely state that my G8 is a piece of shit. But it looks cool, sounds mean, and smokes more rubber than a surrey prostitute with dry genitals. So yeah, keep at it GS8. I'll happily kick lowside the out of this thread if he continues to be a little bitch with his faggy fails.

<----- this monkey ain't got no time for bitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by is350 View Post
They do have poor safety and handling, and resale values.

But poor resale is what makes it a good buy. You can buy one for less than $2000 with tons of life in it, essentially a good reliable commuter or beater, whatever you'd like to call it. And you can sell it when you don't want it anymore, you basically lose nothing on depreciation.

I have driven mid 2000s cavalier, civics and other japanese cars. I would say cavalier has worse handling, but it's really unnoticeable to the average consumer.

Interior build quality seems to be about the same. Cavalier actually had a soft dash to the touch while the civic is hard plastic surprisingly.

Most important thing that I found during daily commuting between the two was that the Civic felt gutless, you had to rev the shit outta of it to keep up with the traffic. While driving the Cavalier, you can keep up with the traffic shifting between 2000-3000rpm. after digging around, looks like the civic has only 110 pound feet of torque and cavalier has 150.
Based on your username, was not expecting posts like this. Good discussion points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I also agree that you hardly see any Crapliers in Metro Van anymore. Even their replacement model -- the Cobalt -- doesn't seem that common either. At the time when these Cobalts were new, they were quite plentiful on the street.
Drove through Burnaby to get to Coquitlam today and did a count for fun.

4 Cavaliers, 3 G5s, 2 Sunfires and 2 Cobalts.

This was in 30 min. Probably due to their vanilla style, they're passed off as non-existent.

I feel like I'm on Cardomain circa 2000
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #19684
GS8

Quote:
There is a reason no one sees j body cavaliers and sunfires on the road anymore. They literally had a 100k lifespan.
Quote:
No. 15 years ago any parking lot you were in would be half full of them. Literally 99% of them are cubes now.
I'm not even close to someone that hates American cars, but the 90s and early 2000s most of them were garbage piles.
Remember that time THE BIG 3 WENT BANKRUPT and needed the us government to bail them out? It wasn't because they were making great products.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #19685
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
The thing is you can get a decent 90s Honda for 2k ad well and I'd rather a Honda with 250k than a sunturd with 150k. Realistically the only j bodies left are >$1000 throwaway cars.

That said I see a surprising amount of shitty old domestics up north and I'd think the hard winters would destroy them
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #19686

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Drove through Burnaby to get to Coquitlam today and did a count for fun.

4 Cavaliers, 3 G5s, 2 Sunfires and 2 Cobalts.

This was in 30 min. Probably due to their vanilla style, they're passed off as non-existent.

I feel like I'm on Cardomain circa 2000
Compare that against Civics, Corolla, Protege / Mazda3, and the numbers will probably seem very small. Even if you were to count Chevy Cruze -- the replacement car for the Cobalt, the numbers will probably still be lower than Japanese cars.

I was given a Pontiac Sunfire when I rented a car to tour a good chunk of Atlantic Canada many years ago, and I remember the interior being a step down compared to a Civic / Corolla of the same era. The seats, in particular, was extra horrible. It was flimsy, the material felt cheap, it offered no support as I just sank into the seat.

The car had the newly released 2.2L Ecotec engine instead of the older OHV piece of junk, and the new engine was definitely the highlight despite being a coarse, buzzy, and unrefined machine. It had good hp and torque, and it was very willing to rev. I actually quite enjoyed my time with it while I beat the shxt out of it on a daily basis. The fuel consumption, however, was not the best.

The rest of the car was seriously unimpressive -- the chassis was sloppy, although Civics from the same era (the EK's) didn't exactly have a stiff chassis either. The (Craplier) suspension was slow reacting, sluggish, and always a step behind when I tried to drive it with some sense of sporty urgency. But that can be forgiven given the car's intended purpose and audience.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #19687
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,164 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
This now the official cavalier/sunfire thread
Old 09-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #19688
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Guys.... let's agree to disagree

best of both worlds, you get your badge AND Cavalier

OR

Chevy Corolla?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #19689
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
And you obviously had never owned one, so don't bs about the 100k lifespan, they run easily into 200k-300k. Some are in the 300k-400k range.
There are loads of them at the wreckers though, and the vast majority aren't there because of an accident.

Quote:
You can hate it because it's an american piece of shit with poor handling and safety but don't just assume and misconcept people that it's gonna fall out with 100k on the odo just because it's american.
I think the problem for a lot of them was their owners. They were cheap cars, so the people buying them didn't take good care of them and because there were so many people treated them as disposable. With a bit of care they could last but then who wanted to put much effort into a car that wasn't very good to drive?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #19690
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,158 Times in 391 Posts
Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/...308791001.html

Did anyone ever go look at this? Kind of interested as a project but curious if someone can save me the time.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #19691
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Guys.... let's agree to disagree

best of both worlds, you get your badge AND Cavalier

OR

Chevy Corolla?
Let's do one better, a TRD Cavalier.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #19692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Compare that against Civics, Corolla, Protege / Mazda3, and the numbers will probably seem very small. Even if you were to count Chevy Cruze -- the replacement car for the Cobalt, the numbers will probably still be lower than Japanese cars.

I was given a Pontiac Sunfire when I rented a car to tour a good chunk of Atlantic Canada many years ago, and I remember the interior being a step down compared to a Civic / Corolla of the same era. The seats, in particular, was extra horrible. It was flimsy, the material felt cheap, it offered no support as I just sank into the seat.

The car had the newly released 2.2L Ecotec engine instead of the older OHV piece of junk, and the new engine was definitely the highlight despite being a coarse, buzzy, and unrefined machine. It had good hp and torque, and it was very willing to rev. I actually quite enjoyed my time with it while I beat the shxt out of it on a daily basis. The fuel consumption, however, was not the best.

The rest of the car was seriously unimpressive -- the chassis was sloppy, although Civics from the same era (the EK's) didn't exactly have a stiff chassis either. The (Craplier) suspension was slow reacting, sluggish, and always a step behind when I tried to drive it with some sense of sporty urgency. But that can be forgiven given the car's intended purpose and audience.

You can just tell some people just hate to hate, can't change their opinion. The discussion was about cavalier vs Japanese counterparts in the same era specifically now it goes to back to comparing american cars to Japanese cars again.

I appreciate your unbiased comment cuz obviously you have driven both cars from the same era. What you pointed out is exactly what I'm trying to say, the cavalier's suspension is bad, but the civics from the same era isn't so much better either, overall one isn't that much better than the other. Both cars have pros and cons, in the end, I think it evens out, just depends on what features people prefer to have.

For more than a cavalier's price, you get an older civic with potentially better seats, better ergonomics, better center console, better fuel economy; BUT it will be an older car with a gutless engine will way more kms on the odo, rusted and beat to hell probably. Choose what you prefer.

Civic or any other Japanese competition from the same era are piece of shits so is the Cavalier. Both cars aren't gonna be that much fancier or better than the other, both will be viewed as beaters, both are equally as reliable. but cavalier can be had for $1000-2000 less than a Japanese counterpart. I know what I'd choose.

Last edited by is350; 09-16-2017 at 09:41 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #19693
GS8

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post

Chevy Corolla?

We need to dial the time machine back a bit

Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:15 PM   #19694

Quote:
I appreciate your unbiased comment cuz obviously you have driven both cars from the same era. What you pointed out is exactly what I'm trying to say, the cavalier's suspension is bad, but the civics from the same era isn't so much better either, overall one isn't that much better than the other. Both cars have pros and cons, in the end, I think it evens out, just depends on what features people prefer to have.
Just a couple of small things to clarify:

Chassis-wise, the EK (Civic) was not that stiff. The ES (Civic) seemed somewhat stiffer to me. If I have to compare, I can only say the ES Civic's chassis seemed somewhat stiffer than both the EK and 3rd gen Craplier, but it is more difficult to compare whether the EK or the Craplier had a stiffer chassis.

I'd have to say though, that both the EG and the EK Civics had a fantastic suspension for sporty driving. In their pedestrian models, the spring rates might be soft, but the cars still drove very nicely, even when you put them in a performance driving environment. The Craplier, on the other hand, did not behave like that. On those windy coastal roads, the Craplier suspension always felt a beat or two too slow. My ES beater Civic from a few years ago felt better (than the Craplier) despite having a Mac strut suspension up front.

You are quite right with the different vehicles more or less evening out though. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day, it all depends on what you are looking for.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #19695

Failed 59 Times in 24 Posts
wow i created a shitstorm mentioning Cavaliers. Should've said Geo Metro.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2017, 09:53 AM   #19696
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
wow i created a shitstorm mentioning Cavaliers. Should've said Geo Metro.
I owned a Suzuki Forsa as my first car, fiance owned a Chevrolet Sprint as her first car, and my boss and co-worker both owned Metros a few years back.

If anyone tells me those are reliable (no one will ... I hope ... but someone said the Cavalier was reliable, so who knows).

Of course, they're re-badged Suzukis (de-tuned in the case of the Metro), so not an "American" car.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #19697
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
I rarely see Cavaliers in Burnaby and Vancouver
may be it's slightly a different story in the valley

were their fuel effciency terrible compared to the civic/rolla?

on the topic of being car racist, it seems performance-oriented domestics were rarely seen driven by the visible minority 15 years back....now I see all colours under the sun driving Mustangs and Camaros. What changed the perception?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #19698

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
If anyone tells me those are reliable (no one will ... I hope ... but someone said the Cavalier was reliable, so who knows).

Of course, they're re-badged Suzukis (de-tuned in the case of the Metro), so not an "American" car.
There was someone on the Accord forum I visit that has a Cavalier now, and she said it's not as unreliable as some people make it out to be.

It's not really like Corollas didn't have issues. The 1999 Corolla I had burns way more oil than my RX-8, and supposedly, it's a very common issue for Corollas and Camrys of that time period due to a badly designed oil ring.

Funny thing, I was looking to buy a MT Cavalier Coupe when I was looking for a MT beater to learn MT on. The dude told me that he didn't know how to drive a stick(hence why he's selling it). I looked around. There was a bunch of thick wires and a tire in the seats, the coolant looks like shit(literally; it was a gross brown color), and I couldn't test drive it because he pulled the battery out. Needless to say, I wasn't interested.

Fuel economy-wise, I think it's fairly close to Corolla and Civic. Maybe just see what the data says on Fuelly.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #19699
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,353 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 8 Posts
I'm just gonna go ahead and chalk this page up as a loss
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #19700

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I rarely see Cavaliers in Burnaby and Vancouver
may be it's slightly a different story in the valley

were their fuel effciency terrible compared to the civic/rolla?

on the topic of being car racist, it seems performance-oriented domestics were rarely seen driven by the visible minority 15 years back....now I see all colours under the sun driving Mustangs and Camaros. What changed the perception?

Last edited by is350; 11-02-2022 at 08:30 PM.