REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
I thought they had the crazy law where they crush your car or keep it or something if you're 50+ over
thats Merica, and its more of a street racing thing i thought
Advertisement
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #27
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Your logic makes absolutely no sense. Safety by the lowest common denominator... You're joking, right?
No, I'm not joking.
Quote:
from wikipedia:
The speed limit is commonly set at or below the 85th percentile operating speed (being the speed which no more than 15% of traffic is exceeding) and in the US is typically set 8 to 12 mph (13 to 19 km/h) below that speed.
13-19kmh BELOW what is safe for 85% of the population.

In BC, speed limits are determined by the following.
How Speed Limits are Set in BC: The Ultimate Guide | TranBC

Quote:
  • The local land use indicating the driving environment
  • The road classification
  • The highway geometry, such as how much sight distance is available to stop in time for an object up ahead
  • Features such as shoulder width and the number of intersections and highway entrances
  • The history of the highway, including number and types of incidents
  • The volume of traffic and vehicle types/modes of transportation using the highway (passenger cars, trucks, pedestrians, bicycles, etc.)

Add to that this comment made on the same page;

Motorists’ behaviours are also taken into account when establishing a speed limit zone. Most drivers are sensible and will naturally drive at a reasonable speed to reach their destination safely.
The limits are based on what is safe for 85% of the population, not what is safe for you, Mr Schumacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The problem is the inbred idiots are sitting pretty in big metal boxes that they can then plow into other people.
Thank you.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
No, I'm not joking.

13-19kmh BELOW what is safe for 85% of the population.

In BC, speed limits are determined by the following.
How Speed Limits are Set in BC: The Ultimate Guide | TranBC

The limits are based on what is safe for 85% of the population, not what is safe for you, Mr Schumacher.

Thank you.
So you seem to think 85 percent of people are equivalent to the lowest common denominator.

Jeez and I though I had a pessimistic view of societies intelligence level.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Exactly, genius, it's set at what is safe for 85% of the population, you said speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator. I highly doubt 85% of the population are scooters and grannies who drive on the hwy at 45km/h. Also using Schumacher's name to diss someone? What a classy move with Schumacher in a fucking coma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
So you seem to think 85 percent of people are equivalent to the lowest common denominator.

Jeez and I though I had a pessimistic view of societies intelligence level.
Thank you.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #30
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Exactly, genius, it's set at what is safe for 85% of the population, you said speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator. I highly doubt 85% of the population are scooters and grannies who drive on the hwy at 45km/h. Also using Schumacher's name to diss someone? What a classy move with Schumacher in a fucking coma.
check pm.

Quote:
Nope.
It's the fact that they set the limit 13-19kmh below what is safe for the 85%. This is the point that you guys are missing. 85% of the people can drive at 70kmh, but they set the limit to 50kmh. It's not about what is safe for the 85%. It's what is safe for the other 15%.

If it was about the 85%, we would have 70-120kmh limits everywhere.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #31

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
check pm.
Replied.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #32
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 182 Times in 32 Posts
140 isnt that fast s2s depending on the vehicle, so hardly racing in my view (the swerving is more reckless driving in any speed.)

but the limit should at least be 110...
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 100 Times in 17 Posts
It's ridiculous that these super cars are getting impounded for 140. However, there are so many rust buckets out here in vancouver that I wouldn't trust them going over 80 on s2s highway. Think about how many people don't give a shit about the remainder of treads on their tires, the visibility they have when it rains, heck even burnt tail lights. The speed should only be increased if we have a system that does yearly checkup on a cars condition or else you will have idiots who think they can go 140 with their corolla on a rainy day with all season tires thinking they are the next senna.
Posted via RS Mobile
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #34
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
It's ridiculous that these super cars are getting impounded for 140. However, there are so many rust buckets out here in vancouver that I wouldn't trust them going over 80 on s2s highway. Think about how many people don't give a shit about the remainder of treads on their tires, the visibility they have when it rains, heck even burnt tail lights. The speed should only be increased if we have a system that does yearly checkup on a cars condition or else you will have idiots who think they can go 140 with their corolla on a rainy day with all season tires thinking they are the next senna.
Posted via RS Mobile
90% of revscene wouldnt have their cars on the road if inspections were put in place.. almost every aftermarket part you buy is not DOT and specifes that its for "off road use only"

i agree that there are shit boxes that are unsafe. but thats how the general public sees most of our cars because they are lowered or have wide rims
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Failed 4,505 Times in 971 Posts
We KNOW that speed limit is way too low for today's standard.

Seriously, who does not break the speed limit?
Let's be realistic and honest here. I bet 100% of Revscene members break the speed limit everyday.

Even police officers are aware of this. I remember seeing a News on TV, where this police officer was getting interviewed for pulling people over for speeding.
The speed limit was 50km/h on that particular road (somewhere in Vancouver), and the officer openly admitted on TV "the average speed on this road is about 65-70km/h, so I usually start pulling people over once they go over 75km/h"
Because otherwise the officer would have to pull over 100% of the drivers on the road.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
140 isnt that fast s2s depending on the vehicle, so hardly racing in my view (the swerving is more reckless driving in any speed.)

but the limit should at least be 110...
This.

140km/h is not fast with today's standard.
Even Civic and Corolla will handle 140km/h safely, I bet you will actually feel how stable the car is even at 140km/h.
I bet there would be no steering wheel shaking, waving sideways, nothing like that.

140km/h is obviously a bit too much to set as a speed limit, it definitely is a speeding ticket territory in anyone's view. So 110km/h for highway seems like a fair deal.

Last edited by Timpo; 04-30-2014 at 12:29 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #37

Quote:
I used to agree with you, but age and experience have shown me that they choose the limits based on the lowest common denominator.
  • Like the dumbass doing 45kmh on a scooter the other day, blocking the left lane like she was a dump truck.
  • Or the elderly gal who would brake severely the moment her car went over 60kmh. Give her some space.
  • Or the new driver who pulls out in front of you without thinking.

It's bad enough driving in the lower mainland without giving those in a rush the "right" to go double the speed that many are comfortable driving at.

That said, 50kmh on Marine is totally unrealistic, while 50kmh on the Golden Ears way is a cash grab.

However dropping the limit to 50kmh on the hwy 17 under the Patullo is for safety. The number of zonked out crackeads crossing that road to sell their scrap is unbelievable. Raise it to 80 like the rest of hwy 17, and you'll have a lot of dead crackheads to clean up. Same goes for the DTES with it's 30kmh limit.
That's because we have such a shitty drivers' training program.

For example in Japan, you MUST attend driving school, and yes it is mandatory.
Germany takes drivers' training a lot more seriously too, that's why Autobahn is the safest highway on planet. They have very high standard.

Whereas in Canada, you can ask one of your buddies to teach you, take a road test, and you're all set.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Failed 474 Times in 73 Posts
Anyone wanna go to some print n press sign company and make speed limit signs of 140km/h and cover all the posted speed limits on s2s with 140km/h signs?
Posted via RS Mobile
kkthind is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
My thought process has always been to make the licensing process very difficult so that the people that are actually licensed very skilled. It seems like any fucking idiot can get a license and not only are they horribly skilled at driving but they also lack straight up common sense.

There are more crashes in Richmond that the Autobahn for a reason. The speed limit isn't the problem, it's the people that are speeding probably don't have the proper training to be operating a motor vehicle at those speeds(or at all for that matter)

ninjaedit: Timpo's got it
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Nope.
It's the fact that they set the limit 13-19kmh below what is safe for the 85%. This is the point that you guys are missing. 85% of the people can drive at 70kmh, but they set the limit to 50kmh. It's not about what is safe for the 85%. It's what is safe for the other 15%.

If it was about the 85%, we would have 70-120kmh limits everywhere.
You don't even understand the principle.

the 85th percentile means that 85% of people travel at or below that speed, the other 15 are the people who EXCEED that speed limit. So the principle is most definitely not at all about what is safe for the other 15%.

And the setting the speed limit 13-19km/h below the limit is a mistake the government is making, its not something they are doing rationally. The fact that they are doing this is exactly why groups are asking for the limit to be revised. Because it does not accurately reflect this generally accepted rule.

If the 85th percentile is 70km/h, the limit should be 70, not 50.

EDIT: and i don't understand why underscore is failing timpo (besides maybe because its timpo). More driver education is never a bad thing, and we most definitely do need it here in BC.

This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #41
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 1,536 Times in 385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post

Thank you.

The passive-aggressive is strong in this one!!!
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #42
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
EDIT: and i don't understand why underscore is failing timpo (besides maybe because its timpo). More driver education is never a bad thing, and we most definitely do need it here in BC.
I failed Timpo because he has three posts and all of them are stupid, but I felt like being nice and only failing him once.

Yes more education is a good thing, but you can't just get your buddy to teach you (it has to be someone over 25 with a valid license) and the autobahn isn't some magical road where everyone can drive as fast as they want and nobody crashes. Wasn't there a 200+ car pileup on that highway a few years back due to some rain?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #43
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
There are always autobahn pile ups.. they are so common they don't bother reporting them. I was involved in one many years back it was not fun, I was in a 993 and got rear ended, was bouncing like a pinball.

To increase higher speed safely (to match the autobahn), we need:
1. Education and licensing (every 2 years for a retest), and more levels of graduation licensing.
2. Car inspection every year (that is not just AirCare, but TUV or equivalent).
3. Tons more infrastructure (ambulances, wreckers etc).

With the "Freedom" tendency of BC (the majority hates ICBC and AirCare) point # 1 and 2 can't happen and low taxes point #3 can't happen. Remember just to improve Ambulance response time on Highway #1 will cost a heck lot more than Germany because our low population density.

So the whole speed increase discussion is bunk, because it will just never going to happen.

Aircare is great for cheapskates who don't maintain their cars. I can't wait till they come up something and fail all the retrofit / illegal mods all in one fell swoop.

PS who in the right mind "speed race" 11 in the morning? You want to do it, do it around 5-6 at the break of dawn! Patrols work nearly office hours, I think they just want to be caught.

Quote:
Yes more education is a good thing, but you can't just get your buddy to teach you (it has to be someone over 25 with a valid license) and the autobahn isn't some magical road where everyone can drive as fast as they want and nobody crashes. Wasn't there a 200+ car pileup on that highway a few years back due to some rain?

Last edited by godwin; 04-30-2014 at 03:11 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #44
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Failed 227 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
There are always autobahn pile ups.. they are so common they don't bother reporting it. I was involved in one many years back it was not fun, I was in a 993 and got rear ended.
This.

I got stuck in Autobahn last year driving from Berlin to Stuttgart, shit you not we were stationary for 4 hours.
Seemed very normal to the locals and truck drivers as they just stepped out of their cars, walked around and chatted with each other.

All in all a good trip though.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #45
I don't get it

Failed 70 Times in 18 Posts
I find it really fucking funny how everyone gets worked up about this stupid shit.
Let's take it to Germany and their simple but yet working system that gives people the right and option to drive their vehicles (all) at their designed speeds.
If a car should not by any chance in life drive 200km on a public road. Then don't sell fucking cars designed to drive 200+kmh safely.
Make the fucking Left lane on the highways a passing lane and the other ones slow lanes. It's proven over n over that it works.
Yes you will get the idiot drivers. Speed limits don't matter if there is a moron on the road...

Anyways there is rules and I get them but if you have 3/4 lanes and nothing obstructing your view for miles, than up the fucking limit for that stretch. Yadda yadda yadda every time about people driving 140+ priceless to see this topic discussed over and over and over again throughout the years.

Let me grab some popcorn and enjoy this one :P
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #46

Why does everyone have this idea that when we say speed increases this autobahn discussion comes up?

I am only talking about an increase of 20km/h on most roads. That would mean 100km/h on the S2S.

There is no reason we would need to increase the number of ambulances or anything like that if we just bumped up the speed limits to reasonable rates, AKA the 85th percentile.

All I am talking about is changing the speed limit to accurately reflect the speed everyone is already doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post

So the whole speed increase discussion is bunk, because it will just never going to happen.
It can and most probably will happen, the push on the government is pretty large as more and more people are coming to their senses and realizing, hey 20 years ago we had way shittier cars and I was able to go 80km/h, now my car is enormously more safe and the road is enormously better, but I can still only go 80km/h? What gives?

And this argument that people are driving old shit boxes, and therefore we can't up the speed limit is really ineffective. Do you really think that 20 years ago everyone was driving brand new, properly maintained cars?

No, of course not, there were 20 year old heaps of shit rolling the streets in that day and age as well.

Last edited by meme405; 04-30-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #47

Quote:
Yes more education is a good thing, but you can't just get your buddy to teach you (it has to be someone over 25 with a valid license)
That's same thing. As long as your buddy is 25 and has a license, he/she can teach you.
Your friend/brother/sister/parents/neighbors/etc are NOT Certified Instructors. So why would you let them teach how to drive? This type of stupidity will never happen in Germany and other countries with strict rules.

I am confident that other Revscene member agree, I can think of shitload of 25 year olds who drive like complete moron or don't even have sufficient skill to drive safely.

Being 25 does NOT mean shit, nor holding a BC Driver's License.

I'm sure you can think of some respectful 20 year olds who drive safely than some 25 year olds who rip around everywhere.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #48

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
They were obviously going through the Squamish part of the drive for it to be 70km/h (Lions bay is 60) where everyone knows you do the speed limit +10 and that's it.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #49
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 77 Posts
140kph

On a highway

90 year old grandmas go faster every morning
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #50
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
Because politically any speed increase will cause an uproar, if you do it you mind as well make a big increase instead of a few small ones (it will never happen) because each discussion like this will cost political capital.

Quote:
Why does everyone have this idea that when we say speed increases this autobahn discussion comes up?

I am only talking about an increase of 20km/h on most roads. That would mean 100km/h on the S2S.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote