REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 82 Times in 6 Posts
B.C. License plate format change

Quote:
Beginning in June, new license plates in B.C. will go from a “000-AAA” format to a “AA0-00A” format.

The change is happening because ICBC is nearing the end of possible unique combinations for passenger vehicle plates, which means the introduction of a new format.

According to ICBC Senior Media Relations Advisor Adam Grossman, there was the consideration of going to a seven digit format like in Ontario and Alberta but it was deemed too costly.

“ICBC [...] found it would be a costly switch and would interfere with administrative systems for brokers that are built for the six character system. Seven character combinations would also require smaller numbers and letters, making plates harder for police to read.”

Because ICBC is intent on retaining the six-digit format due to cost considerations, it is assumed that when the “AA0-00A” format runs out, each character will again be shifted to the left, creating a “A00-0AA” format.

The original alphanumeric AAA-000 format was introduced in 1970 and the switch to the 000-AAA format was made in 2001. The new format is expected to last approximately eight to ten years.
B.C. license plates to change format
Advertisement
JaeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
10psi aint enough...

Failed 51 Times in 9 Posts
Wonder whos getting the BB0-00B?

Seriously though, cant believe we are at another format already. Seems like yesterday when it was reversed to number + alphabet.
Posted via RS Mobile
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Failed 34 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
smaller numbers and letters, making plates harder for police to read
I hope someone from the police slaps the shit out of whoever at ICBC approved the Olympic plates then as fully 1/4 of those are completely unintelligible at any distance. Not to mention I've never had a problem reading any of the Ontario or Quebec plates while I was living out east and for memory retention a set of numbers and then letters or vice versa is better than 2-3-1... It's straight up because it's a "costly switch" in the software and infrastructure, not for the police.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Thanked 2,708 Times in 364 Posts
Failed 474 Times in 73 Posts
why not just have 7 character plates. I see so many unique opportunities of having personalized plates
Old 04-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkthind View Post
why not just have 7 character plates. I see so many unique opportunities of having personalized plates
“ICBC [...] found it would be a costly switch and would interfere with administrative systems for brokers that are built for the six character system. Seven character combinations would also require smaller numbers and letters, making plates harder for police to read.”
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #6
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Seriously does anyone care? As long as my premiums dont go up to subsidize anything unnecessary i'm A OK.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #7

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
Failed 34 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Seven character combinations would also require smaller numbers and letters, making plates harder for police to read.”
They say that, but that's not necessarily true. Ontario's letters and numbers are admittedly slightly thinner because they retain the crown in the center. That being said I personally don't find them appreciably less legible:

Spoiler!

Quebec on the other hand doesn't have any flags or anything in the main area and the letters are the same size and are just as easy to read as any other plate, even in the 7 letter format:

Spoiler!

Alberta doesn't count in my mind when it comes to legibility with any amount of letters as they use the lower contrast red on white instead of a darker colour. The thing is that for ham plates like mine BC already moves the flag to the corner so it shows where they could retain it and could easily still use a 7 letter plate allowing the exact same letters and spacing:

Spoiler!
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Failed 118 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
They say that, but that's not necessarily true. Ontario's letters and numbers are admittedly slightly thinner because they retain the crown in the center. That being said I personally don't find them appreciably less legible:

Spoiler!

Quebec on the other hand doesn't have any flags or anything in the main area and the letters are the same size and are just as easy to read as any other plate, even in the 7 letter format:

Spoiler!

Alberta doesn't count in my mind when it comes to legibility with any amount of letters as they use the lower contrast red on white instead of a darker colour. The thing is that for ham plates like mine BC already moves the flag to the corner so it shows where they could retain it and could easily still use a 7 letter plate allowing the exact same letters and spacing:

Spoiler!
who the fuck cares about license plates this much?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:26 AM   #9
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
Lulz @ getting excited over a new license plate format.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
We have been discussing this for months in this thread:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/60041...plates-12.html

I know skinny said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Got to love it when people complain about new threads being posted, but don't bother posting their own...
But some shit just doesn't need its own thread. Especially stuff that is already being actively discussed in an existing thread.

Fragmentation of discussions and information is really annoying, having people discuss the same thing in multiple threads is really pointless.

This belongs in the License Plate thread, just like that thread about jeremy clarkson being a racist belongs in the TG thread.

EDIT: Also Vancity Buzz is like the anus of news sources.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or we can all get personalized license plates!

I'm gonna get "DUDE"....anyone wanna get "SWEET"?

SLiK786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Failed 59 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
I hope someone from the police slaps the shit out of whoever at ICBC approved the Olympic plates then as fully 1/4 of those are completely unintelligible at any distance. Not to mention I've never had a problem reading any of the Ontario or Quebec plates while I was living out east and for memory retention a set of numbers and then letters or vice versa is better than 2-3-1... It's straight up because it's a "costly switch" in the software and infrastructure, not for the police.
I think you meant illegible?
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote