REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 99 Times in 30 Posts
renting out a unauthorized suite

I bought a home knowing that the basement suite is considered unauthorized.
it has full kitchen and bathroom, just not "legal" as the city doesnt know about it.

Im planning on renting it out the way it currently is. Dumb question, but is this just stupid to do?

If I were to rent it out the way it is, should I still get the tenant to sign a contract and any addendum, or should i just skip this part and hope for the best? Im thinking of presenting the contract just to save my a$$ a bit incase things get messy. But i know i could get fined by the city if anything does happen and the city finds out.

I just dont want the hassle of getting a inspection and needing to put in reno money if needed.

I know plenty of people doing this the "illegal" way and have never had issues. I know it comes down to the tenant. (Ie. My dad has had tenents in his basement for the last 20yrs, and even tho there were verbal disputes, its never escalated to the point where the city needed to be involved. All his tenants had their mail delivered to the house as well)

just want to hear more opinions from people with more of this experience. Is this a risk worth making? Im going to assume that 50%, if not more, of houses around your neighborhood have a unauthorized suite currently being rented and income not reported to CRA.
Advertisement
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,585 Posts
Failed 103 Times in 65 Posts
My only comment is I think you should have a standard RTA agreement with a tenant and any addenda with your terms that are within your rights

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Illegal suites are still fully covered by the RTA for both the property owner and the one renting. Where you run the risk of getting in trouble is if the CRA or local municipality finds out about the suite (tax evasion with the CRA and potential neighbourhood zoning laws being your two major risks).

I'm not sure about this bit but if the suite doesn't have properly sized windows to act as an escape route in case of a fire or other catastrophe, I'm pretty sure you can be legally held responsible for any injuries or deaths. Again, not positive on this but I recall reading a few things a while back indicating it to be so.

Just keep in mind that even though you may know a bunch of people getting away with it, that wont necessarily be the case with yourself. One annoyed neighbour or ex-renter placing a call to the local townhall or CRA is all it takes.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
Are you in Vancouver or the suburbs? Different jurisdictions treat things differently. For the most part, I won't worry too much about it. Good neighbour relations and decent tenant helps. Yes you still need a RTA even if it is an illegal suite.

CRA on the other hand is potentially more painful, but the CRA doesn't talk to the city zoning etc.

So I would see those 2 to be separate risks.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #5

Its in coquitlam
Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #6

One good thing about Coq is it is relatively spread out vs Surrey.. so it is hard to notice, also most area are permitted for secondary suits.. so it depends on the age of your dwelling (pre or post 2000). I assume you have checked out their brochure? revert to a non suite is so easy too eg removing a lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
Its in coquitlam
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #7

Built in2010
Old 05-10-2014, 11:39 PM   #8

I've decided to go with renting it out. Having tenant sign RTA and additional addendum.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Additional addendum?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Additional addendum?

As in other "house rules" I'd like to put in.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,585 Posts
Failed 103 Times in 65 Posts
additional terms he'd like to add. i think the RTA called them amendments or addenda i can't remember. i was trying to make myself sound S-M-R-T

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
house rule #1

- tenant waives all rights to notifying city of suite status

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #13

Just that will render the addendum invalid. You can't forbid someone to report something that is illegal.

When writing these rules, never overstretch.

Best way is to be selective of your tenants and treat them reasonably, so they have the sense of ownership to your place too. For my tenants, I always include weekly cleaning service, you get to hire someone (expense to write off) and they can keep an eye out on the property. I find out especially for foreign students it is nearly a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
house rule #1

- tenant waives all rights to notifying city of suite status

Last edited by godwin; 05-11-2014 at 10:42 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,431 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
the tenants wont know its unauthorized right?
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
the tenants wont know its unauthorized right?

Obviously not.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #16
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Just that will render the addendum invalid. You can't forbid someone to report something that is illegal.

When writing these rules, never overstretch.

Best way is to be selective of your tenants and treat them reasonably, so they have the sense of ownership to your place too. For my tenants, I always include weekly cleaning service, you get to hire someone (expense to write off) and they can keep an eye out on the property. I find out especially for foreign students it is nearly a necessity.
I see that sarcasm does not go well over the internet. My apologies.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,779 Times in 957 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 61 Posts
how does one go about knowing its not illegal? lol as somoene who wants to rent out a suite eventually when i move out...i dont wanna rent one thats illegal lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #18
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Failed 170 Times in 59 Posts
if there is no laneway, you're allowed 2 legal suites. so 2 kitchens. illegal would mean 3 "suites" with 3 kitchens (or more....). so unless they let you inspect how many kitchens they have (highly unlikely) its rather hard.

unless you kinda stalk them and see how many people come and go, then you might figure out if they have 3 suites.

even if you rent an illegal suite, the RTA still covers you.

if there is a laneway, then the laneway is one suite where the main house is 2 suites. or illegally, the house once again, will have more than 2.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,973 Times in 1,835 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
how does one go about knowing its not illegal? lol as somoene who wants to rent out a suite eventually when i move out...i dont wanna rent one thats illegal lol
A dead giveaway is that a legal suite will have it's own civic address (IE: Main suite would be 1-5652 and rental would be 2-5652 etc...) A second giveaway is that a legal suite would have it's own dedicated BC Hydro meter.

Illegal suites sound worse than they are. Municipalities will only really enforce those bylaws if they're A)Stuck up prissy rich areas (IE Oak Bay in Victoria) or B) Get a lot of complaints from neighbors.
I doubt a call from one disgruntled tenant reporting an illegal suite would get a bylaw officer to show up at your doorstep.
The thing is, if municipalities started cracking down on illegal suites everywhere the rental market would bit up shit creek, rent prices would skyrocket because supply would go to shit. They don't really want to do that.

I lived in an "illegal" rental suite for 6 years, and I had no problems. It was professionally run. In fact, the hoops that my former landlords would have had to jump through to make it legal in Victoria would have ruined the place
(One rule is that each suite must have it's own parking spot on the property, which would have destroyed the nice front yard)
I had the main floor:

Except for the crazy rabbit lady that eventually moved in upstairs, I liked that place.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #20
JLC
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would bet 75% or more of the basement suites in Vancouver are unauthorized suites...
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #21
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,626 Times in 4,327 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
that number jumps to 95% once you hit Surrey... It doesn't really matter the only difference is the tax for extra garbage and water etc. I rent the lower half of my dads house and someone reported it and he had to pay an extra $350 for the year to make it a legal suite. Still the same meter and address but I have my separate breaker compared to the rest of the house.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote