REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #51
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
So I've been pouring Shell 91 in my 750i for the past couple of weeks. I usually pour Chevron 94 but wanted to see what happen if I switched to Shell 91 because 91 is the BMW recommended octane.

What I found is with 91 my car has a very rough idle when I come to a full stop at the lights, feels similar to the infamous gas pump issue the early e92's had. With 94 I never encountered a rough idle.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 AM   #52
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
My car do require 94...

eason_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:18 PM   #53
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 74 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
Yup, I agree. Chevron 94 octane lets me run timing similar to what others using Cali 91 gas run. US 92 is far superior than our 94.
Agreed
JordanLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #54
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Does anyone have any science to back up this US 92 > CDN 94? I mean an actual fuel analysis comparing multiple brands, not some dyno pulls that leave a shit tonne of variables out of the equation.

Also octane boosters are junk, if you need to bump your octane use Toluene which can actually bump your octane a significant amount, the boosters will only bump you like 0.1
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #55

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonT View Post
I remember RG did a dyno of US Chevron 92 vs CND 94 on a stock wrx with a stock tune, made something like 5% extra HP, My butt dyno seemed to notice the difference as well in my own car, link: http://www.revscene.net/forums/68154...dien-fuel.html

Correction: CND 94 typo
Except the 02 WRX calls for 91, not 94, and it's known that running too high of an octane will lose you power. So they didn't gain anything, they lost power because they used too high of an octane.

Plus you have to factor in how the ECU works, you would need to reset it, completely drain the fuel system, then drive it time to learn, then dyno. Repeat for every other fuel you want to test with.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #56
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does anyone have any science to back up this US 92 > CDN 94? I mean an actual fuel analysis comparing multiple brands, not some dyno pulls that leave a shit tonne of variables out of the equation.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert but this is the clearest answer I've pieced together without actually talking to a tuner in person.

From what I understand it's pretty much all down to the "zero" ethanol content of Chevron 94.

In FI applications, ethanol is more "stable" at compression and is wanted to prevent detonation (ethanol changes the RON vs MON ratio of that fuel), but it puts out less energy / burns cooler during combustion. So you typically add a bit more fuel to keep things right, especially as boost pressure increases. A lot of big power turbo builders seem to leap at the chance to run e85, presumably for this reason.

NA motors & tuners prefer fuel with as little ethanol as possible because boost/air density is less variable. They're just focused on spark timing and resultant AFR.

Many fuel maps written by tuners in the US or other regions may be writing in an assumed adjustment for a 10% ethanol content - which usually adds a certain % more fuel. On Chevron 94, this extra fuel will make your car seem bogged down due to a richer mix.
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #57

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eason_c View Post
My car do require 94...

What car?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 PM   #58
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 54 Times in 19 Posts
i think he drives a CLA
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #59
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
What car?
E63
eason_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #60

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eason_c View Post
E63
So what do people in Cali do? The highest they can get is 91.