REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #651
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Kchan: do you need any experience to go? I've never even done an autox. Other than a DOT helmet do you need any other safety equipment? My ST is bone stock. I will want more info fr the next event you have. I've done only 1000km in 3 months on my stupid car. I have to use it and fall in love with IT again. My eyes are wandering.

Serious question though. If I wreck, insurance doesn't cover me. That's obvious. If someone else slides into me, or I slide into someone else, is anyone liable for the other persons damage? Or does everyone "assume the risk" that you might get smoked by someone else and not see a penny in compensation
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2015, 11:10 AM   #652
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Failed 59 Times in 40 Posts
At your own risk.. don't expect compensation IMHO. No insurance coverage period, unless you opt for expensive third party coverage

BUT there are good people out there though. My last event I was following another car closely and his front fender liner flew out and hit my hood. Resulted in a small, but noticeable chip. Owner graciously offered to cover any costs but I denied his offer.

FYI, next event is another sunday event. June 14. https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...3#.VT52ASFVhBd

I'm going to try to make this one!!!
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 11:14 AM   #653
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Kchan: do you need any experience to go? I've never even done an autox. Other than a DOT helmet do you need any other safety equipment? My ST is bone stock. I will want more info fr the next event you have. I've done only 1000km in 3 months on my stupid car. I have to use it and fall in love with IT again. My eyes are wandering.

Serious question though. If I wreck, insurance doesn't cover me. That's obvious. If someone else slides into me, or I slide into someone else, is anyone liable for the other persons damage? Or does everyone "assume the risk" that you might get smoked by someone else and not see a penny in compensation
preferably yes. it is for your own safety and others safety around you

i would suggest attending a driving school hosted by other people (VCMC comes to mind) or even attend some auto-x event prior to a track day

For FFDxTSS track days I only allow Snell approved helmets - DOT itself is not enough

first time at ridge is completely fine and I can try my best to arrange instructors - but if it is your first driving event of any kind i would strongly suggest attending a driving school first

its not that I want to reject new comers but it is more beneficial for yourself if you attend a school first - as I have stated in the past FFDxTSS events are more catered to experienced drivers looking for a lapping day - but if you must attend our events I will try my best to get you an instructor to teach you throughout the day

as for damages - do NOT expect compensation - accidents do happen its part of the sport

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB

Last edited by kchan; 04-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #654
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
^ I think a good way of looking at it is don't track a car you can't afford to write off.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #655
I STILL don't get it

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
I saw some guys using racing gloves in videos posted in this thread. I'm assuming the benefit has to do with grip on the steering wheel? Never tried racing gloves so just looking for feedback. I'm not seeing people using racing suits so I assume the safety aspect has little or nothing to do with it.

Also what are you guys using/recommend for timing equipment?
R. Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:40 AM   #656
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mutt View Post
I saw some guys using racing gloves in videos posted in this thread. I'm assuming the benefit has to do with grip on the steering wheel? Never tried racing gloves so just looking for feedback. I'm not seeing people using racing suits so I assume the safety aspect has little or nothing to do with it.

I wear a cheap $40 set of RaceQuip gloves because I get blisters.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:47 AM   #657

Timing - 90% of ppl use external GPS units paired to their phones for timing. iPhone - HArry's laptimer. Android - race chrono afaik. the rest use dedicated standalone timers
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #658
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:

i use gloves for better grip overall

as for suits - you do not normally see guys doing lapping days with suits - its more casual than anything.. however though in most semi-serious events for racing / time trial or what not where guys are pushing harder they will wear suits

as for timing equipment - you can buy an actual lap timer ($300+ or)
or can get a bluetooth external GPS and pair it up to your phone with the proper app (iphone = harry lap timer, android = racechrono)

Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #659
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,996 Times in 7,423 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:

The best insurance on the track are a couple of things. A car that is absolutely tip top mechanically especially as far as brakes and tires, and a lot of awareness for those around you. Any well organized track day has no tolerance for cowboy antics, so when someone is out there visibly posing a threat to others, they aren't going out for the next lap, or possibly the rest of the event. Also, we all love our cars, and none of us want to be towing home a metal cube, so a lot of it is trust in the other drivers on the track. If someone is going faster than you, let them by. If you don't point by (in the novice point to pass groups) any driver worth his car knows that you don't see him, and he better not go for that gap if he wants to keep his body panels straight.
All that being said, things are happening really quickly on the track, and there is a lot of movement around you to process. I'd recommend a driving school like proformance or doing a novice friendly day down at mission like PDC, VCMC, R&P or UBCSCC before stepping up to the Ridge, especially when with the recommended days you will be out there with a lot of people of the same experience level. They aren't just going to throw you out on the track with an instructor and say have at er. They will do some cornering exercises, some no passing trains, and work you up to the point where you have the awareness of passing safety, flags, and all the other how to's. I'm glad I did an autocross first, then a proformance driving school before I got out there for a full on track day. It allowed me to be a lot more comfortable, a lot safer, and just be a better driver out there.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 04-27-2015 at 12:02 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
as for timing equipment - you can buy an actual lap timer ($300+ or)
or can get a bluetooth external GPS and pair it up to your phone with the proper app (iphone = harry lap timer, android = racechrono)
REPOST

oh yeah and wanted to add - the only group which rquires suits are PDC for their Green group.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #661
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
It was nice to meet you Freakshow.
Nice to meet you!

@BABU, I think I saw you too, but didn't get a chance to chat.

And thanks for putting up with my slowness.. still learning a lot about the e36, since I just got it a few weeks ago..
Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 PM   #662
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Failed 75 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:

Hands get all sweaty, gloves assist in grip too.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #663
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 342 Times in 57 Posts
was a good day and had lots of fun as usual, pizza lunch was awesome too - thx again to kalson for making this happen

was a good day overall except for 1 thing and i really have to rant about this: silver corvette with washington plates

Drove like a fukin asshole the entire day and i'm very surprised he didn't get talked to by the track officials or any of the organizers. I'm assuming that he didn't get talked to (or maybe he did but continued to drive like an idiot) because for almost all the group C heats that I had to sit in and instruct, i would see him flying by and passing multiple cars at no passing zones like the carousel and without getting any point by from cars ahead. By the end of the day my gf was so ticked off already that she called it quits and didn't bother running the last heat (where group b and c was combined) because of the way this guy drove during her last lap - flew by and passed 3 cars without point by during the cool down lap (after checkered flag) at the last passing zone just before ridge complex. After passing a bunch of us he was on the brakes very late and hard while his backend was fishtailing and it looked like he almost came close to smoking the car ahead of him that was about to take the corner at ridge complex. Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this, like seriously who fuking does that shit on a cooldown lap especially on group C?

Hoping not to see this asshole anymore on the next events
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
The best insurance on the track are a couple of things. A car that is absolutely tip top mechanically especially as far as brakes and tires, and a lot of awareness for those around you. Any well organized track day has no tolerance for cowboy antics, so when someone is out there visibly posing a threat to others, they aren't going out for the next lap, or possibly the rest of the event. Also, we all love our cars, and none of us want to be towing home a metal cube, so a lot of it is trust in the other drivers on the track. If someone is going faster than you, let them by. If you don't point by (in the novice point to pass groups) any driver worth his car knows that you don't see him, and he better not go for that gap if he wants to keep his body panels straight.
All that being said, things are happening really quickly on the track, and there is a lot of movement around you to process. I'd recommend a driving school like proformance or doing a novice friendly day down at mission like PDC, VCMC, R&P or UBCSCC before stepping up to the Ridge, especially when with the recommended days you will be out there with a lot of people of the same experience level. They aren't just going to throw you out on the track with an instructor and say have at er. They will do some cornering exercises, some no passing trains, and work you up to the point where you have the awareness of passing safety, flags, and all the other how to's. I'm glad I did an autocross first, then a proformance driving school before I got out there for a full on track day. It allowed me to be a lot more comfortable, a lot safer, and just be a better driver out there.

Great response. New car with everything in order should have no problem on the track. Only real issue is the North American focus ST did not, I repeat DID NOT come with a front tow hook. There is a threaded hole in the front rebar, but no access hatch, hole, loop or hook to tow from the front. I know a lot of tracks require tow attachments front and rear. So I'm not sure on that one. European focus st's have the little cap on the bumper bmw style.

I know vcmc is doing an event May 2nd but I work weekends now. So no chance for me
Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #665
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by you! View Post
was a good day and had lots of fun as usual, pizza lunch was awesome too - thx again to kalson for making this happen

was a good day overall except for 1 thing and i really have to rant about this: silver corvette with washington plates

Drove like a fukin asshole the entire day and i'm very surprised he didn't get talked to by the track officials or any of the organizers. I'm assuming that he didn't get talked to (or maybe he did but continued to drive like an idiot) because for almost all the group C heats that I had to sit in and instruct, i would see him flying by and passing multiple cars at no passing zones like the carousel and without getting any point by from cars ahead. By the end of the day my gf was so ticked off already that she called it quits and didn't bother running the last heat (where group b and c was combined) because of the way this guy drove during her last lap - flew by and passed 3 cars without point by during the cool down lap (after checkered flag) at the last passing zone just before ridge complex. After passing a bunch of us he was on the brakes very late and hard while his backend was fishtailing and it looked like he almost came close to smoking the car ahead of him that was about to take the corner at ridge complex. Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this, like seriously who fuking does that shit on a cooldown lap especially on group C?

Hoping not to see this asshole anymore on the next events
definitely need to bring this to my attention

i roam around the pits asking everyone if everything is ok and any issues - please bring this up

i have talked to the guy on two occasion due to complaints from corner workers - but sometimes they can only see so much

when you bring this issue up to me or other corner marshall you are doing yourself and everyone around you a favor by making the whole event much more safe

This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #666
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
I use a G-Rays 10hz BT GPS receiver paired to my phone.
I use a custom data logging program for autoX but I see a lot of people use Harry's laptimer.

Remember, 10hz means it refreshes 10 times a second.
A 5hz GPS receiver refreshes 5 times a second and most phones have a 1hz GPS receiver built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #667
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolute blast yesterday and thanks to Kalson and everyone else for a smooth day!
SourSamo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM   #668
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
Failed 119 Times in 32 Posts
i wear a full suit when i go to hpde events.make me feel fabulous
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #669
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatcaptain View Post
i wear birthday suit when i go to hpde events.make me feel fabulous
corrected for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #670
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Failed 75 Times in 29 Posts
So thats how' the captain goes fast...
Old 04-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #671
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
Failed 119 Times in 32 Posts
belaud i think u got mixed up.it was the black miata tat was fast
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #672
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,651 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
If you have never done any performance driving (in a formal, controlled environment, that is), I would highly recommend you to try some autox first. Better yet, take an autox course and do a bunch of regular autox events to learn the basics of car control and then head to the track. You'd be far better equipped than if you just air drop yourself into a track day.

The next closest autox school is UBCSCC's Auto-X 101 on Sat, May 9. The event doesn't seem to be sold out yet, but I would act sooner rather than later if you are available on that day.

UBCSCC - Auto-X 101 - May 9 - 2015 info on May 9, 2015 (827336) | MotorsportReg.com

VCMC will have another Velocity Driving School in Aug. But again, better to do it sooner rather than later. Or, you could just do UBCSCC's AutoX 101 first, and then do VCMC's Velocity Driving School again.

UBCSCC will be having their first Mission track day on Mon, June 22, and they are quite novice friendly. VCMC will have a Ridge track day a week later on Mon, June 29, and they are novice friendly as well. Generally, VCMC track days tend to have a more favourable instructor-to-student ratio, but either group will provide good quality instruction for new (track day) drivers. If 320icar hasn't done any track days before, I'd seriously recommend you to give these options some thoughts. The most ideal recommendation would be:

1) take UBCSCC's AutoX 101 on Sat, May 9
2) do UBCSCC's Misison track day in the 1st time novice group on Mon, June 22
3) do VCMC's Ridge track day in the 1st time novice group on Mon, June 29
4) take VCMC's Velocity Driving School again on Sun, Aug 29

I can 100% guarantee you that if you do all 4 of the above, you'll come out being a much better driver than you currently are.

Last edited by Traum; 04-27-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #673
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whoa that ricer from the RS Spring meet was there? Surprised there wasnt any food leftover on that table top
Deepstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
[/spoiler]If you have never done any performance driving (in a formal, controlled environment, that is), I would highly recommend you to try some autox first. Better yet, take an autox course and do a bunch of regular autox events to learn the basics of car control and then head to the track. You'd be far better equipped than if you just air drop yourself into a track day.

The next closest autox school is UBCSCC's Auto-X 101 on Sat, May 9. The event doesn't seem to be sold out yet, but I would act sooner rather than later if you are available on that day.

UBCSCC - Auto-X 101 - May 9 - 2015 info on May 9, 2015 (827336) | MotorsportReg.com

VCMC will have another Velocity Driving School in Aug. But again, better to do it sooner rather than later. Or, you could just do UBCSCC's AutoX 101 first, and then do VCMC's Velocity Driving School again.

UBCSCC will be having their first Mission track day on Mon, June 22, and they are quite novice friendly. VCMC will have a Ridge track day a week later on Mon, June 29, and they are novice friendly as well. Generally, VCMC track days tend to have a more favourable instructor-to-student ratio, but either group will provide good quality instruction for new (track day) drivers. If 320icar hasn't done any track days before, I'd seriously recommend you to give these options some thoughts. The most ideal recommendation would be:

1) take UBCSCC's AutoX 101 on Sat, May 9
2) do UBCSCC's Misison track day in the 1st time novice group on Mon, June 22
3) do VCMC's Ridge track day in the 1st time novice group on Mon, June 29
4) take VCMC's Velocity Driving School again on Sun, Aug 29

I can 100% guarantee you that if you do all 4 of the above, you'll come out being a much better driver than you currently are.[/spoiler]
i work every weekend. so that throws pretty much all of that out the window. and also on my motorcycle there aren't really autox. so that would be straight to novice track day events.

anywyas. good info
Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #675
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
i work every weekend. so that throws pretty much all of that out the window. and also on my motorcycle there aren't really autox. so that would be straight to novice track day events.

anywyas. good info
i would highly suggest you attempt an autox school, you'll actually push the car beyond its limits in a lower speed controlled environment.

you'll get the car in situations you'll never get to see on the street, and if u do at a track day, you'll end up with a very expensive repair bill.

the autox school will give u the chance to pick up certain butt saving skills u wont likely get anywhere else.

think of it as foundation / building block skill school. you'll meet a lot of very quick and some very fast drivers, some who are also instructors at track days.
ncrx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: