REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 09-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #1051
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Here's one of my sessions
Haha, I'd have to say -- the view from outside looks a little more exciting than the one from the passenger seat.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #1052
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Failed 75 Times in 29 Posts
Fun stuff yesterday, here's my first session warming up tires.

5:40 would be the most interesting part. Pooped myself a little.

10:00 onwards is just me forgetting to turn off my cam.

Last edited by belaud; 09-09-2015 at 02:27 PM.
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #1053
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
Fun stuff yesterday, here's my first session warming up tires.
Is one of the decals inside your car this one?
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #1054
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Failed 59 Times in 40 Posts
thats a very distracting interior
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:50 PM   #1055
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 154 Times in 14 Posts
Ya I'm surprised you were allowed to have all that shit in your view.

What is the point of the phone being there?

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #1056

lap timing i bet!

but i suspect he is using a fabulous phablet, which is why it is abnormally large
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #1057
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
His car is not normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM   #1058

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
lap timing i bet!

but i suspect he is using a fabulous phablet, which is why it is abnormally large
Right, but why put it directly in line of site? Mount it dash level... then take those girly dangly bits off the mirror.

Have done many tech sessions, including being head of tech for a VCMC track day and I'd request all of that to be moved.

Rich
Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 PM   #1059
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
Failed 75 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx View Post
Right, but why put it directly in line of site? Mount it dash level... then take those girly dangly bits off the mirror.

Have done many tech sessions, including being head of tech for a VCMC track day and I'd request all of that to be moved.

Rich
Tons of people have it mounted to their windshield, does not block my view whatsoever, I'd say it's much more safe quickly peeking to my right than looking down or having to glance further right for a lap time.

Girly dangly bits give me more HP, if those so easily distract you from driving, perhaps you shouldn't even be going to lap days. I've had all that shit on for the past year and going to lapping days without any issues whatsoever, the only time I've been black flagged to go back in was I left a sports towel in the rear and having it fly around.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-09-2015, 07:16 PM   #1060
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,120 Times in 280 Posts
Failed 51 Times in 26 Posts
you say that until one of those girly bits fall off and get jammed underneath your pedal. Richard has a lot more experience than you do money, it would definitely benefit from listening instead of getting defensive
Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #1061
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
There is no reason to risk it. You gotta remember when you go out there, that there are 10 or more of your friends and peers that are relying on you to be as safe as possible as well. When someone with experience gives me suggestions to be faster, safer, and more prepared, I'm listening.
It might not bother you, but as he said, he'd ask you to remove it during tech, so I'd just appreciate that there is a reason and be done with it.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #1062
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
There's nothing worse than someone who's done a handful of track days and all of a sudden become an "expert"...

There's always someone faster, and there's always someone more knowledgeable. When there's something clearly more knowledgeable (Rich for example), personally, i'd listen.

But maybe i'm weird.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:48 PM   #1063
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
Had an awesome time at the TSSxFFD Track Day yesterday despite not being able to run my Fix Or Repair Daily due to an issue that is being covered under warranty but not fully resolved yet. I wasn't able to get good runs in at the June event due to a braking issue and thought this would've been a great chance to finally test out the new coils/bbk/tires compared to last year. While there was a 60% chance it would've probably survived the event I didn't really want to risk going home on a flatbed and made a last minute judgment call to take the Porsche instead.

I had 0 experience tracking a Porsche at Ridge prior to this event and in my first session at this event I struggled to even match the 2:08's I set in the Fiesta when it was bone stock.
Spoiler!

The car was way twitchier than I was used to and much less compliant when it came to aggressive inputs. The concentration when it came to throttle control proved extremely difficult as I was never sure what the front differential would do. It seemed to behave very differently at 20% throttle than it did at 30% and at 40% through some of the turns. It's running on Michelin Super Sports and Ferodo DS2500 pads, a very nice street setup but not the best for stopping a 500hp 3400lb car at turn 11 or turn 13.

By the afternoon when the sand and oil had cleared I felt much more comfortable with the car and ran a 2:02 out of the gate (thanks to a very abusive launch?). Deepstriker sitting in the passenger seat for this run below. I could definitely use more of the track as he pointed out and brake deeper into some of these turns but the current setup wasn't the most confidence inspiring for late braking.

Spoiler!

I finished off the day driving with one of my best friends, and one of the best drivers I know, PoweredByAloe (Ken), sitting next to me and giving me pointers here and there. We tried out a few different lines and found this to be a very helpful experience. I didn't run any lap timing at this event as I broke my phone mount on the drive down to Ridge and really just wanted to focus on driving clean and I think this worked out in my favour. And while looking at this last session the lap times didn't really improve but I did gain a better understanding of the car's characteristics by being able to focus solely on learning.

Spoiler!

All in all a very eye opening track day experience for me despite embarrassing myself in a sea of Hondas during the morning sessions. I have much more respect for those running high powered cars regardless of how fast their lap times really are. My previous track days running in the Fiesta and Miata gave me an appreciation for the "slow car fast" sort of fun, but the concentration required to tame the unforgiving Porsche and perpetual fear of wrecking a high dollar car felt like very rewarding in itself.

Here's an embarrassing video of me spinning out at the carousel
Spoiler!

Thanks as always to Kchan and the Speed Syndicate crew for getting this ever growing community together. I would not have had as good a time if it weren't for the majority of my track buddies running at the same event and being able to ride/give rides to one another.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #1064
The Speed Syndicate

Thanked 3,077 Times in 522 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx View Post

Rich
100% agree on your point - and will definitely be stricter for future tech inspections as I pass it on to the guys

something I definitely missed out on and didnt give much thought of it since i've never had issues with these things in the past with myself or friends as I ran with other organizers (nasa, turn2, proformance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Had an awesome time at the TSSxFFD Track Day yesterday despite not being able to run my Fix Or Repair Daily due to an issue that is being covered under warranty but not fully resolved yet. I wasn't able to get good runs in at the June event due to a braking issue and thought this would've been a great chance to finally test out the new coils/bbk/tires compared to last year. While there was a 60% chance it would've probably survived the event I didn't really want to risk going home on a flatbed and made a last minute judgment call to take the Porsche instead.

I had 0 experience tracking a Porsche at Ridge prior to this event and in my first session at this event I struggled to even match the 2:08's I set in the Fiesta when it was bone stock.

The car was way twitchier than I was used to and much less compliant when it came to aggressive inputs. The concentration when it came to throttle control proved extremely difficult as I was never sure what the front differential would do. It seemed to behave very differently at 20% throttle than it did at 30% and at 40% through some of the turns. It's running on Michelin Super Sports and Ferodo DS2500 pads, a very nice street setup but not the best for stopping a 500hp 3400lb car at turn 11 or turn 13.

By the afternoon when the sand and oil had cleared I felt much more comfortable with the car and ran a 2:02 out of the gate (thanks to a very abusive launch?). Deepstriker sitting in the passenger seat for this run below. I could definitely use more of the track as he pointed out and brake deeper into some of these turns but the current setup wasn't the most confidence inspiring for late braking.

I finished off the day driving with one of my best friends, and one of the best drivers I know, PoweredByAloe (Ken), sitting next to me and giving me pointers here and there. We tried out a few different lines and found this to be a very helpful experience. I didn't run any lap timing at this event as I broke my phone mount on the drive down to Ridge and really just wanted to focus on driving clean and I think this worked out in my favour. And while looking at this last session the lap times didn't really improve but I did gain a better understanding of the car's characteristics by being able to focus solely on learning.

All in all a very eye opening track day experience for me despite embarrassing myself in a sea of Hondas during the morning sessions. I have much more respect for those running high powered cars regardless of how fast their lap times really are. My previous track days running in the Fiesta and Miata gave me an appreciation for the "slow car fast" sort of fun, but the concentration required to tame the unforgiving Porsche and perpetual fear of wrecking a high dollar car felt like very rewarding in itself.

Here's an embarrassing video of me spinning out at the carousel

Thanks as always to Kchan and the Speed Syndicate crew for getting this ever growing community together. I would not have had as good a time if it weren't for the majority of my track buddies running at the same event and being able to ride/give rides to one another.
glad you had a great time - i was re-learning how to drive the new car and the lotus as well yesterday - its not easy to re-adjust to a new car let alone a completely new platform - great job nonetheless justin!

TSS x Revscene Track Day Organizer

1991 Formula Red NSX - 3.2L ITB
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #1065
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
How good did it feel to have the car out after so long? I wish I could have seen that monster in person!
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #1066
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
How good did it feel to have the car out after so long? I wish I could have seen that monster in person!
it was completely different

i couldnt enter some corners as fast as I could before but i was able to maintain higher speed in other corners

turn 1, for example, i used to be able to to turn it in without braking or lifting off and set it up properly for turn 2,3,4

but with the new setup now (without the wing) - going into turn 1 like how i did it before i wouldnt be able to set up the car properly for turn 2,3,4 and ended up spinning out

but since im running much wider tires now (235 vs 275 [but the nitto nt01 275 is more of a 295]) - i was able to maintain higher speeds due to bigger contact patch for turns 2,3,4,5,6

i also had to get my splitter removed by the afternoon sessions since it was too damaged - so lost a bit of downforce... however i ended up driving the other car much more throughout the day (7 sessions in that vs 3 in the lotus all in the AM session)

This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #1067
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
Failed 358 Times in 70 Posts
I had a domo thing hanging on the rear view. Dom told me to put that shit away..
To be fair, it did swing and smash against the windshield when I drift off track

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
"Not driving your car hard to keep it in nice shape for the next buyer is like not banging your girlfriend to keep her fresh for her next boyfriend"
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #1068

Quote:
, if those so easily distract you from driving, perhaps you shouldn't even be going to lap days.
Watching your video I couldn't help notice how close you got to the miata in front of you as he slid into T1. This tells me you're either driving almost completely off ego or you just make terrible decisions that could impact other drivers.

Your response to a legit safety concern and your on track driving would give me pause in going out on track with you. People are at a track day to have fun. Try keeping things in context when at a track day. You are NOT actually racing.

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #1069
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
Failed 119 Times in 32 Posts
crazy guy in a 2.5 rs stock engine ?!?!

time to study how to drive a ff car

Last edited by boatcaptain; 09-09-2015 at 11:21 PM.
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #1070
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 8 Times in 1 Post
Damn, no wonder taxis in Hong Kong are so fast!

Chun~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #1071
Driving around in circles

Thanked 1,394 Times in 277 Posts
Failed 30 Times in 9 Posts
Went to the VCMC Pacific Raceway track day on the 4th to shake down my car. Had fun chasing Austin's Miata. My car still needs more aero and tune to be settomg sp,e competitive lap times but it is a good starting point.

!Kodamu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #1072
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
I'd say it's much more safe quickly peeking to my right than looking down or having to glance further right for a lap time.
I don't want to beat on a dead horse but.....

Most clubs that host lapping days all say timing equipment is not allowed.

If you discreetly put the timer in your glove box, no one will say anything. Just saying....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #1073

I know when I used to go with PDC and PCA back in the day.. that was a huge nono (timing).

nowadays, organizations like Kalsons, and Turn2 say it's okay as their insurance policy allows it. can anyone else chime in for other clubs nowadays? i feel that policy has changed quite a bit within the last few yrs..
Old 09-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #1074
The Speed Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
I know when I used to go with PDC and PCA back in the day.. that was a huge nono (timing).

nowadays, organizations like Kalsons, and Turn2 say it's okay as their insurance policy allows it. can anyone else chime in for other clubs nowadays? i feel that policy has changed quite a bit within the last few yrs..
most organizations do allow gps-based lap timers

it is when you need to set up a beacon and transponder kind that most organizers do not allow

This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #1075
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,073 Times in 1,920 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
I timed my track day with VCMC and Traum hasn't shot me... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post