REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 07-01-2024, 08:39 AM   #1751
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,896 Times in 4,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
If you guys miss this sale, I run 300V from FCPEuro, 5w40 as well.
How often are you changing it? And do you notice a difference in your engine oil temps/pressures?
Advertisement
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 11:16 AM   #1752
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
How often are you changing it? And do you notice a difference in your engine oil temps/pressures?
I run it only if I plan on going to Ridge. I might start running it for Mission events as in both I find I have to bang off the limiter for a few sections. VIMC I'm mostly in 3rd or 4th, so it's not that hard on the motor.

I don't have a gauge that measures those things, but previously engine temps were kept cooler with 300V. Haven't tried it with my new tune yet so I'll have to see.

I usually only run it for the track day and do an oil change ASAP. Unless I have 2 track days within a month, then I'll just keep running it, at which point I'll flush after the 2nd track day.

I found (anecdotally) that the OEM 1L bottled Honda 0w20 oil is only good for 2 track days, then you gotta change it. I thought I could stretch it for a Mission day, but the car had noticeably louder lifter tick the other day.

Running 300V isn't necessary just for oil temps/pressure. Some say that over the course of a track day, the temperature sheers 0w20 viscosity into basically nothing, so having a high quality oil that doesn't degrade as fast/much is important.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2024, 11:57 AM   #1753
RS Veteran

I find 0W20 breaks down easily, hence the frequent oil change. I do notice a difference immediately when changing the oil on the Corolla in Toronto traffic (stop & go + highway) after say 5000KM - 8000KM, or every 6 months, whichever comes first.

I did notice engine temps being lower when running 300V, but I only did track day twice that year, then put the car to sleep for the winter until the spring.

Mobil 1 was "okay" but noticed an immediate difference after two track days, and I was driving the car more on the street that year. Motul was more stable/consistent for at least three or four track days, but fewer street time. This year will mostly be track duty, and much less street duty. I'll be running Mobil 1 0W40 and go back to Motul next season.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:09 PM   #1754
in the butt

Thanked 3,396 Times in 1,238 Posts
Anyone have actual oil analysis results?
New oil > after 1 track day > after 2 > after 3
New oil > after 5000kms normal driving for comparison

Theres lots of "opinion" of people changing oil at x and y time, but its just blind leading the blind

I tried searching for a comparison, cant find much for track specific. Only that guy on youtube that compares products for normal driving

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
this guy is the embodiment of a cross cab owner.
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2024, 01:43 PM   #1755
RS Veteran

I thought about it, but decided not to bother simply because I change my oil once a year as a rule of thumb. I rarely ever exceed 5000KM per year. I may consider doing it this year, but I'm on the fence about it. There's a place out here in Burlington, ON called WearCheck that does a used oil analysis for customers, but it's $90 plus tax per test, but $38 if you pre-purchase a kit from them. Then there's shipping etc.

Completely anecdotal: There was a guy in the local Porsche club who tracked his Boxster with the club once a month from April to October every year. He would change his oil after every track day meticulously for 7 years straight. He did a used oil analysis on it every time. The lab basically told him oil is good for another few track days (whatever that even means) and no signs of significant wear. He ran Walmart SuperTech 5W40 almost exclusively.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:55 PM   #1756
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,647 Times in 1,562 Posts
You can do a blackstone analysis. I'm too lazy to do it LOL. The Type R threads have quite a bit of blackstone data, with 300V 0w40 being one of the good ones.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote