REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #26
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
bought le gf a forester xt and its been GREAT!
Despite having my own cars, i take all opportunities to drive hers.
Advertisement
jshen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #27
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 68 Times in 18 Posts
With that budget, and needing something reliable and somewhat "professional-looking", I'd probably end up in a TSX.

2008 ACURA TSX
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #28
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
what about the last-gen mitsubishi outlander?

this is just an example:

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander XLS Blue 4wd

2007 Mitsubishi Outlander SUV Review | Edmunds.com

you can switch between 2wd/4wd auto/4wd lock, v6 power, generally good reliablity, five years/100,000 km on basic items, and ten years/160,000 km on powertrain?

as for modding...

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/01/s...pocket-rocket/

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 07-24-2014 at 07:23 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #29
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 11 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
I'm in the same boat, looking to replace my wife's car (Echo HB) in the next year.
I think especially if you want kids in the future, or just more utility, you'll want more space. An IS250 is REALLY tight in the backseat, and the trunk is the same size as a Civic.

Also, since when was a Prelude comfortable?!? I thought they were low and ride rough. Anyways, I guess it's all relative.

This is my list (all used):
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback
Mazda CX-5 (probably outside your price range)
Mazda 5
Toyota RAV4
Honda CRV
I'm not trying to hijack but im on the same boat.
The GF wants a small suv/CUV and im really not sure if I should go brand new, or slightly used via craigslist. I'm usually anti brand new because of dealership markups and depreciation but this is something she is planning on keeping for a long time.
I know 2002-2006 CRV's are the best ever. No recalls and are absolute tanks. She find it too old though. Newer CRV's don't compare in quality to the 06's.
I'm intrigued but Kia's and Hyundai's. A lot of bang for buck but long term reliability and performance is still a big ???
Rav4's are just too damn expensive. Great cars but huge markup.

Anyone know anything about Mazdas? Why are they so much cheaper than toyotas and hondas and why do they depreciate so fast. Are the CX models good? Same thing with the Outlanders. They depreciate quickly. Are they any good?
c4@urdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM   #30
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
New input from her is that she wants something "professional looking" (she's an accountant) but not "too old man" (not keen on the G35 sedan) and something that we could keep until we have kids is a plus (but by then it'll be at least 12 years old...). Like I said, she's a bit particular.

She's liking the Lancers, Accords and IS series the most so far, Lancer seems the best bang for the buck with 08's around $10k, IS's seem to be $3-5k more but they're supposed to be reliable as all hell, Accords landing around the same as the IS but we're wary about the trannies. So it looks like I'll be doing some more digging into the reliability/cost of ownership on those three, but definitely keep suggestions coming.

Her parents have an 07 Rav4 V6 which is very comfortable and great on the highway but boring as all hell and a bit garbage off road despite the fancy diff lock and downhill assist. Or maybe the ability to blast down gravel roads with the Cherokee without giving a shit about bumps has spoiled me. But in reality I only do that a few times a year so I guess I could adapt to the Rav

edit: oh and I've also thrown the Matrix into the mix, not terribly exciting but it's a Toyota.
No offense to anyone who owns a Lancer here, but it isn't professional looking. It also has the worse interior of any economy car.

New list:
IS250
Maxima
ES300 (yeah, I know, like a boat, but the interior is nice)
Accord
Camry
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-24-2014, 08:16 AM   #31
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4@urdoor View Post
I'm not trying to hijack but im on the same boat.
The GF wants a small suv/CUV and im really not sure if I should go brand new, or slightly used via craigslist. I'm usually anti brand new because of dealership markups and depreciation but this is something she is planning on keeping for a long time.
I know 2002-2006 CRV's are the best ever. No recalls and are absolute tanks. She find it too old though. Newer CRV's don't compare in quality to the 06's.
I'm intrigued but Kia's and Hyundai's. A lot of bang for buck but long term reliability and performance is still a big ???
Rav4's are just too damn expensive. Great cars but huge markup.

Anyone know anything about Mazdas? Why are they so much cheaper than toyotas and hondas and why do they depreciate so fast. Are the CX models good? Same thing with the Outlanders. They depreciate quickly. Are they any good?
My parents bought whatever the smaller Hyundai is brand new about 2-3 years ago and they love it, no issues so far. Pretty good for comfort and power when I was in it but they live in the flats of Ontario so I've never seen one take a hill.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #32
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
I'm selling my 03 accord. It's a 4 cylinder automatic so i was never plagued with the tranny issues that the 6 cylinder engines had. Was driven by my mom since 2006 until November so you know it's always been driven lightly. Anyways, let me know if interested.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 1,536 Times in 385 Posts
Fuck your girlfriend drives the oatmeal of cars
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #34
Witness protection

[edit] found it nvm
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
TSX or even the 05/06 RSX
both are somewhat professional, tons of aftermarket parts, doesn't have the bad auto tranny that plagues the honda V6
TSX takes premium gas though

I also think the Subaru Legacy fits the bill..just gotta check the head gaskets for mid 2000's and older...IS250 sounds good too for young professionals
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #36
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

I also think the Subaru Legacy fits the bill..just gotta check the head gaskets for mid 2000's and older...IS250 sounds good too for young professionals
too bad no RHD. the legacy rsk would be nice: 1999 Subaru Legacy RSK AWD 22KM Arrived
Old 07-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #37
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
8th gen Honda Accord Sedans are awesome.

Just don't get the Facelifted body style, it costs more and is a whole lot uglier.

Out of curiosity has she thought about leasing? Lease rates on a brand new accord are pretty good.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #38
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
TSX or even the 05/06 RSX
both are somewhat professional, tons of aftermarket parts, doesn't have the bad auto tranny that plagues the honda V6
TSX takes premium gas though
Good choice.

nabs took his cross-country without any issues and even though it uses premium fuel, the thing gets incredible mileage. Last time I drove it, the low fuel light didn't turn on til it had like 620km or something stupid on the tripmeter.

edit - and it has over 220k km on it, just well maintained.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Failed 504 Times in 165 Posts
first gen rdx over rav 4 all day. or consider one of the subaru options, outback forester.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #40
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE BOY View Post
Good choice.

nabs took his cross-country without any issues and even though it uses premium fuel, the thing gets incredible mileage. Last time I drove it, the low fuel light didn't turn on til it had like 620km or something stupid on the tripmeter.

edit - and it has over 220k km on it, just well maintained.
i thought TSX had mediocre milage? 600km+ on a tank
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote