REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-10-2023, 05:29 PM   #2476
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the wheel torque check is one of these 2 all that you need? Which one of these 2 is recommended for wheel torque check? I assume the $99 tire change kit is all that I need if I wanted to change over my own tires + some sort of jack. Is the $69 version good enough and how much do you torque the bolts on the wheels?

I am not very good with repairs and doing my own maintenance so I will probably continue just going back to swap my mounted tires at Lougheed Acura every Fall and Spring for $50 but who knows I might break out of my comfort zone :-) . I also have 2 vehicles to swap mounted tires on twice a year so that adds up to $200 every year (4 x $50).

Interesting unless I missed it Lougheed Acura has never told me to come back after 40 km to check the bolt torque on the wheels on our Tesla and Acura....

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...roduct-details

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...1.html?loc=plp
Advertisement
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:48 PM   #2477
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
You need a breaker bar to take the lug nuts off, torque wrench to put the lug nuts back on, and sockets that match your lug nut size.

The tire change kit will have all three (dunno if they match your lugs, you'll have to check). The torque wrench will only allow you to tighten the lug nuts, but you would still need a matching socket.

I'd probably get the whole kit if I had to choose from the two. Whether they're good or not I'll let others answer.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2023, 06:21 PM   #2478
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Amazon makes a decent 1/4 with 3/8 adapter. I usually get a shorter breaker bar and then pipe it. Easier to store.

You don't wanna use TQ to remove nuts, it puts wear on the tq mechnism and eventually messes it up.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2023, 07:19 PM   #2479
I don't get it

Failed 65 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanrick View Post
For the wheel torque check is one of these 2 all that you need? Which one of these 2 is recommended for wheel torque check? I assume the $99 tire change kit is all that I need if I wanted to change over my own tires + some sort of jack. Is the $69 version good enough and how much do you torque the bolts on the wheels?

I am not very good with repairs and doing my own maintenance so I will probably continue just going back to swap my mounted tires at Lougheed Acura every Fall and Spring for $50 but who knows I might break out of my comfort zone :-) . I also have 2 vehicles to swap mounted tires on twice a year so that adds up to $200 every year (4 x $50).

Interesting unless I missed it Lougheed Acura has never told me to come back after 40 km to check the bolt torque on the wheels on our Tesla and Acura....

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...roduct-details

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...1.html?loc=plp
I would get the $99 one with the 1/2 breaker bar, torque wrench, and sockets. You can't piece a kit together for cheaper than that imo.

The 1/4 in torque wrench is in inch pounds, kind of useless for tires.

Those deep sockets are good for hand torquing but they shouldn't be used on an impact dugaduga wrench.

How do you plan on jacking up the cars?
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2023, 07:26 PM   #2480
I don't get it

I have a Maximum 1/2 in torque wrench, Crappy Tire 1/2 breaker bar, 1/2 impact rated sockets, M12 Fuel Impact Wrench, and a Princess Auto 3 ton low profile aluminum jack as part of my tire swap kit.

Basically I swap wheels and tires for my family, my in laws cars, and my cars so 7-8 cars? The setup has paid for itself already!
This post thanked by:
Old 10-10-2023, 07:57 PM   #2481
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
I also recommend the $99 one. It looks awfully the same as my DeWalt tire change kit, without the DeWalt brand and the case is black. Same exact breaker bar, torque wrench, everything. And yes, the 1/4 inch wrench is no good for your use case. The gents above have it pat down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 07:58 PM   #2482
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha I think you guys scared me off. I think I will just continue taking my Tesla and Acura to Lougheed Acura for the $50 mounted tire swap and car wash. My daughter has the Subaru with the new Michelin Crossclimate 2 tires from Costco and she will just take it into Costco in Port Coquitlam to check the wheel bolts. I have fat fingers and with my luck I will under torque the bolts and the wheels will fall off or I will drop my car off the jacks.

By the way when I was walking by the Costco tire center in Port Coquitlam last week I heard the technicians shouting and I looked over and there was a car that had partially dislodged from their hoist/jack and was teetering off balance from their hoist......
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:19 PM   #2483
I don't get it

It's not hard to do seasonal tire swaps, just a bit of physical labour. But then again it seems like I'm on the younger side and don't mind doing work like this. SUV/Tesla tires are heavy to lift up.

I have the peace of mind knowing that I torqued everything to the right specification. I've had techs from dealership impact blast on lug nuts which in turn, make it impossibly hard to loosen when the time comes to put the spare on the side of the road.

There's a rotational dial thing on the torque wrench so you can't miss the numbers. I've had good luck at the Wellingdon and Production Way Costco
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2023, 06:23 AM   #2484

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.amazon.ca/stores/LEXIVON...5?ref_=ast_bln

Lexivon has some Prime day sales on their torque wrenches. I have the 1/2" 10-150ft-lbs one which isn't on sale but there are other options that are fairly cheap.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2023, 09:00 AM   #2485
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
thanks Supa, i picked up the 1/4 drive torque wrench. Good for my oil filter / drain plug torque-ing
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:12 PM   #2486
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 11 Times in 2 Posts
Need Some opinions for a set of winter tires. Car is a MK8 Golf R will be going to a 225/40/18. Drive around 20-50km for work.

Been recommend the Viking 7's but keep reading that they have issues with Hydro planning and with our climate may be overkill with conditions.

Some of the other options that have been recomended

Nokian Wrg4
Kumho winter craft wp72
Hankook winter icept evo 3

Any input or recommendations
6o4allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:23 PM   #2487
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ have you considered Pirelli Sottozero 3?

Not related or no connection to seller but this seems like a fair deal, $850 for a set of 4:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0025644272282/
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2023, 07:47 AM   #2488

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4allmotor View Post
Need Some opinions for a set of winter tires. Car is a MK8 Golf R will be going to a 225/40/18. Drive around 20-50km for work.

Been recommend the Viking 7's but keep reading that they have issues with Hydro planning and with our climate may be overkill with conditions.

Nokian Wrg4
Kumho winter craft wp72

Pilot Alpin 4, any Sottozeros, or Continental TS winter tire. These are all "touring/performance" winters so less squishy. I have the Continental TS850P on my RDX and they drive like a solid all-season in warmer conditions and they work fine in all of the lower mainland snow conditions (up to 8-10"). They don't eat snow but I've been in any kind of trouble. I'd like just a bit more traction on ice but other than that I love them - quiet in the dry, good wet weather performance and good steering response.

Ideally I wanted the Pilot Alpin 5s but getting stock at the time was impossible.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:05 AM   #2489
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

Nokian Wrg4
Kumho winter craft wp72

Assuming you drive mostly on flatter roads in Vancouver / Richmond / Fraser Valley, I second supafamous on getting performance winters - with something like a Golf R I would sacrifice a bit of snow performance for better-handling characteristics since we don't see snow most of the season.

I don't have experience with any of the tires you've listed, but I've had a few performance winters including the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4, Pirelli Sottozero 3, and Sottozero Serie II. They're not as great as the WinterContact SI and X-Ice Snow in snow, but they still performed fine in the last few winters with just a bit more slip.

If you need to plow through unshovelled snow in hilly areas like North Shore or Coquitlam then I would go for the squishier tire options.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 12:20 PM   #2490
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,081 Times in 1,921 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:

Nokian Wrg4
Kumho winter craft wp72

I've never had issues or found problems with Viking Contact 7 and hydroplaning and will continue to recommend them as the best bang for your buck winter tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2023, 04:39 PM   #2491
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 11 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Assuming you drive mostly on flatter roads in Vancouver / Richmond / Fraser Valley, I second supafamous on getting performance winters - with something like a Golf R I would sacrifice a bit of snow performance for better-handling characteristics since we don't see snow most of the season.

I don't have experience with any of the tires you've listed, but I've had a few performance winters including the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4, Pirelli Sottozero 3, and Sottozero Serie II. They're not as great as the WinterContact SI and X-Ice Snow in snow, but they still performed fine in the last few winters with just a bit more slip.

If you need to plow through unshovelled snow in hilly areas like North Shore or Coquitlam then I would go for the squishier tire options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
I've never had issues or found problems with Viking Contact 7 and hydroplaning and will continue to recommend them as the best bang for your buck winter tire
The car will be a daily Driver, work sometimes on the North shore, Richmond driving from Langley.

Ive been searching some reviews and the Hankook Icept evo3 compares right next to the Alpin 5 on tests, but who know the longevity of them and how they will handle our Snow/slush ice mix if we get it due to very limited info.
For the Viking 7's How did you find they handled the dry roads? And how are they wearing so far?
6o4allmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #2492
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,081 Times in 1,921 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
I don't have exact measurement but my eyes says they haven't worn that much after 2 seasons

I'll get exact measurements brand new since I got my gf's mom to get the VC7 as well vs. 2 seasons with approximately 10k km on them

In the dry, I didn't feel any major difference, from summer/all-season tires with daily driving. It definitely feels a bit softer on corners if you push it a bit hard but it wasn't as much as the X-Ice Xi3 I had when I daily drove my FRS through the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:43 PM   #2493
RS Veteran

Winter is coming.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #2494
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Gotta love that little red chinaman chair / stool / table

Epic

Can fold it up and bring to dai pai dong or beat your wife/kids with it.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2023, 05:22 PM   #2495
RS Veteran

Hot pot meet
Quote:
Old 10-18-2023, 03:49 AM   #2496
RabidMod

Thanked 1,350 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Winter is coming.
Lol it's funny how instantly recognizable this is as the GTA by that brickwork and stone. It's the particular color of it, even!
Old 10-18-2023, 05:17 AM   #2497
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
How many years from DOT date do you feel good/comfortable using in terms of expiry? I'm reading from manufacture the range of 6-10 years. Any insights?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 08:46 AM   #2498
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I usually go for something in the 5 - 7 years range, taking tire condition, tread depth, storage condition, and grip levels into account. Check for dry rot / micro cracking on the tires -- if you see these, you'd want to replace them. Also remember that UV is the biggest enemy for tire compound deterioration, as well as the fact that a lot of winter tires only has its softest and most winter-capable compound in the first half of the tread, with the later stuff being more like an all season compound.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2023, 09:17 AM   #2499
RS Veteran

Likewise for me. 5 - 7 years has been consistent for me. My previous tires were always stored by the dealership in an offsite storage centre but towards the 5th year, started to see micro cracks on all four tires, nevermind overall wear and tear of the tread overall.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #2500

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
I run em until they're bone dry. It's not bread.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote