REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #901
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
Not sure if this has been asked earlier in the thread, but I have a set of tires I need put on to my current wheels. The places I normally go are booked up right now (for obvious reasons)
Pmd for another shop that might have space.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisement
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:35 PM   #902
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 56 Times in 36 Posts
read up top breh TSS can do it for u!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #903
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
I messaged them on facebook, thanks! I didn't see the post somehow

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #904
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trd2343 View Post
I was just in a similar scenario, CT, but mine were just from last year. Members also have said it should be fine.

Are you going to go back though? Kind of curious to see how CT will handle it. I just also realized not all my tires have the same DOT. One was actually manufactured this year.
I thought about going back, but other than feeling a bit ripped off, I don't really care enough... as in I'm not paranoid about the rubber aging.

I took a look at the receipt and realized that two of the tires are 2014, and the other two are 2017... Better than I expected
The two tires that have it's DOT shown both show 2014. But I guess the two tires that are mounted on the other side with the DOT shown on the inside are 2017, which I couldn't see yesterday with the tires already installed on the car.

Whatever.. at this point, it's not really worth the hassle. I'll just move on.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #905
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 81 Times in 21 Posts
if i were to get winter tires from shop ''x'', i would have to wait for time to open up or shops will do them when they receive the tires?
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #906
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
If it's not in stock then you gotta wait till they arrive. And then when they do, they arrange an appointment for you, which could be a couple of days or a week later. Eg, Costco and cantire.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #907
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,853 Times in 3,882 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
^^ if you have a separate set of rims that you want the snow tires on, ask the shop if you can just do a “carry in/out”. Instead of being given an appointment 3 weeks away, they often will take the wheels and install the tires in between cars or at the end of the day, whenever there’s a gap. Then just pick em up and install in the driveway (which if you can’t do, I’m sure RS people who live nearby would be willing to help)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #908

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
Where do you guys get lug nuts for the steelies? Costco has them for the cheapest so far, but they have several option and doesn't explain which one to get.

Should I also get open end or close end ones?

Lastly, do you guys put anything on the bolt before putting the tires back on? I've done swaps for a couple of season already, but I never do anything when I swap my tires.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #909

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Lastly, do you guys put anything on the bolt before putting the tires back on?
Some people say put anti seize on it, others say don't. I'm in the don't group.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #910
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
No anti-seize on the threads as you don't want them to back off.

Yes anti-seize on areas where hub contacts rim to prevent corrosion from fusing the two together. Just had this happen to the old man's car, what a PITA.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #911
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
^ use white grease. It will harden a little to hold them on and keep water out to prevent rusting, but it will also enable them to also break loose easier. The grease breaks down after a few years so reapply and carry on.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:13 PM   #912

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
No anti-seize on the threads as you don't want them to back off.

Yes anti-seize on areas where hub contacts rim to prevent corrosion from fusing the two together. Just had this happen to the old man's car, what a PITA.
Even then you don’t want anything in between the hub and the back of the rim, including anti seize. Anything in between can slowly move and work it’s way out leaving a gap between, his is called joint settling. To prevent the wheel assembly sticking to the hubs (which happens all the time by the way, it’s not a big deal) wire brush and spray with brake clean every time the wheel is removed. Keeps dirt and corrosion from building up
Old 11-06-2017, 04:28 PM   #913
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Where do you guys get lug nuts for the steelies? Costco has them for the cheapest so far, but they have several option and doesn't explain which one to get.

Should I also get open end or close end ones?
If they're for your Audi, it will be lug bolts, rather...
VW/Audi bolt size is M14x1.5, like the aforementioned Costo spec from before. Depending on the bolt seat on your new steelies, it may have been designed to be used with the round bolt seat on the OEM bolts so you could just reuse the regular bolts. However, with what i've seen, most aftermarket steelies, including OEM replicas, will use a cone/acorn seat.

If it's for a Toyota (referring to your handle) you can usually use any stock nuts with aftermarket steelies because they are all cone seated. The nuts for Toyota alloy rims can work because they are designed to be able to be used with a stock steel spare tire, but that is supposed to be temporary and i would recommend proper nuts. M12x1.5

Personally i would use closed ended nuts because the salt and corrosion will really make you have a hard time taking off of open-ended nuts next spring, but if you use light lubricant like previously stated it shouldn't be much of a big deal

Some people have a hard-on for Anti-seize, but it doesn't compress and it doesn't lubricate. Only prevents corrosion. Wheel hub = yes, threads = probably not
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #914

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
To prevent the wheel assembly sticking to the hubs (which happens all the time by the way, it’s not a big deal)
LOL had that happened to my brand new bmw and a tire shop guy taught me this trick.

Take all lug nuts off except for one and give the wheel a kick when u take off the wheels. Assuming you didnt kick the car off the stand, loose last nug and you are good to go.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #915
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
LOL had that happened to my brand new bmw and a tire shop guy taught me this trick.

Take all lug nuts off except for one and give the wheel a kick when u take off the wheels. Assuming you didnt kick the car off the stand, loose last nug and you are good to go.
The other neat trick is to loosen all the bolts, raise the car on the jack, and lower the car back down on the ground - use gravity to break the wheel loose.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #916
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Lastly, do you guys put anything on the bolt before putting the tires back on? I've done swaps for a couple of season already, but I never do anything when I swap my tires.
Daily drive all winter on roads liberally doused with mag chloride and have fun getting them seized up lug nuts off after the winter season. And good luck if you need to change a flat on the road and all you have is the crappy tools that come with the car. The bolts on my wife's SUV weren't anti-seized, I had to heat them up with a blowtorch to break them loose.

I put a little anti-seize on the threads of the bolts not on the face of the bolt. The reading I've done suggests that the rotating friction of the mating surfaces (bolt face/rim) is what gives you your torque spec. My experience after years of doing this is that when I go to re-torque my wheels 100 km after an install the bolts have not backed out at all. When I change from winters to summers (and vice-versa) the wheel bolts are still tight.

YMMV
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #917

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
If they're for your Audi, it will be lug bolts, rather...
VW/Audi bolt size is M14x1.5, like the aforementioned Costo spec from before. Depending on the bolt seat on your new steelies, it may have been designed to be used with the round bolt seat on the OEM bolts so you could just reuse the regular bolts. However, with what i've seen, most aftermarket steelies, including OEM replicas, will use a cone/acorn seat.

Screw it lol, I'm just going to head to Lordco or CT and ask them directly. I looked up Costco's website, first they only sell sets of 16, which doesn't make sense(?), and second, I looked up the model number of the sets available, takes me to the same seller for the steelies, but I'm more confused. lol

But thanks though.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #918
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 39 Times in 17 Posts
Applying anti-seize on threads will cause you to over torque the nuts. I would not recommend doing that, it has nothing to do with them backing out.
I'm an automotive tech btw.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #919

Quote:
Screw it lol, I'm just going to head to Lordco or CT and ask them directly. I looked up Costco's website, first they only sell sets of 16, which doesn't make sense(?), and second, I looked up the model number of the sets available, takes me to the same seller for the steelies, but I'm more confused. lol

But thanks though.
You do know some cars are 4 bolt right? 4x4=16

But yeah not all the Costco warehouses have lug nuts/studs in store. Best to just go to lordco
Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #920
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfarmer View Post
Daily drive all winter on roads liberally doused with mag chloride and have fun getting them seized up lug nuts off after the winter season. And good luck if you need to change a flat on the road and all you have is the crappy tools that come with the car. The bolts on my wife's SUV weren't anti-seized, I had to heat them up with a blowtorch to break them loose.
How long were they on there and how were they torqued? I've never had a problem swapping wheels on my vehicles or any of my family that I've done swaps for and I've never used anti-seize. Also go to Princess Auto and buy a couple extra breaker bars and single sockets and put them in your vehicles, those stock wrenches are junk no matter what you've done to the nuts. In a pinch it's also handy for banging on the fuel tank if the pump ever dies.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:25 PM   #921

SAWED OFF METAL HANDLE FROM A SHURB CUTTER OR BROOM HANDLE, INSTANT BREAKER BAR FOR YOUR STUBBY CAR WRENCH

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 11-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #922
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Failed 53 Times in 21 Posts
Helped my parents order some tires from discount tire direct and getting them installed at Costco Bellingham. Called today to book for this weekend with a lot of slots to choose from. Not sure why the wait times are so much crazier at local Costco's and CTs

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:29 PM   #923

^because tax
unless you drive down with balds and replacing them there

and why didnt you just installed them at discount tire?

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #924

Quote:
SAWED OFF METAL HANDLE FROM A SHURB CUTTER OR BROOM HANDLE, INSTANT BREAKER BAR FOR YOUR STUBBY CAR WRENCH
Don’t forget your floor jack handle
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43 PM   #925
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Failed 53 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
^because tax
unless you drive down with balds and replacing them there

and why didnt you just installed them at discount tire?
Discount tire direct eBay had the $100 off $400 promo. But they won't ship to discount tire. So there's no incentive to install there.

I'm not even talking about Canadians going down. Just looking at Canadians at our local shops vs Americans at local Washington shops. Why is it that our shops are flooded with 3-4 week wait times while they've got empty slots even on the weekend. Is the average American just more ready for winter with separate winter sets at home?

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote