REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #1526
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Which of the high-end SUV winter tires that's good for compact snow/ice still handles rain and summer conditions well? I recall hearing a lot of winters are bad in the rain and I'm assuming someone here will have some good input given the climate down there.

Sticking to tradition I just sold my Jeep with nearly new KO2s and we swapped the Matrix with nearly new Hankooks for a Rav4 that's due for tires . With how little my wife drives it doesn't make sense to buy 2 new sets of tires like we did for the Matrix so I plan to just run 1 set year round, but I still want to have optimum winter handling without making it sketchy in the summer.

On a side note if you guys are looking at Hankook iPikes watch which ones they are. The W419 has very stiff sidewalls and works incredibly well, I can't remember what the other ones are called but they're super squishy and not very good on snow/ice at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Spoilered for semi-relevant)

Spoiler!
Can confirm.

Spoiler!
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #1527
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
One okanagan summer will pretty much destroy most winter tires...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:51 AM   #1528
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
KO2's are awesome with a little snow, seemingly need somthing to compact to gain traction because once you're on compacted snow or ice they weren't great.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #1529
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts

New video
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #1530
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Which of the high-end SUV winter tires that's good for compact snow/ice still handles rain and summer conditions well? I recall hearing a lot of winters are bad in the rain and I'm assuming someone here will have some good input given the climate down there.
It sounds like you're asking about an All Weather tire since you're gonna use it in the summer which means it's really just the Nokian WRG4 and Michelin CrossClimate2 that are good enough in all conditions. The other all weathers seem pretty compromised across the board and/or they wear out really fast.

I use Continental WinterContact TS850P which are "performance winters" and they are great in cold dry/wet conditions and would probably work ok in the summer - the rubber is firmer than the stuff on Blizzaks or X-Ices.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #1531
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
assuming free shipping, wouldnt the savings from not paying PST be offset from 30 day returns, hazards pro-rated warranty etc?
I think to each of their own needs. I checked the reviews and also comments from people who has them on the same car (Tesla Model 3), and all looked favorable.

The only thing better was probably Blizzak WS90, but it seems to be a tire for much harsher winter conditions (think East Coast) which even though there isn't a whole lot of difference in price, it simply wasn't worth the trade (slightly more $, road noise and worse wet performance for better snow performance and absolute stopping distance).

As for other perks... nice to have them... but not when price difference is big enough. The site I ordered, beside offering the 7% off PST, it also got a 8% off promo across Continental tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Where did you order from? I'm considering sending back the V905's after I did even more digging and they were bang average at every category. Perks of working at a dealership.
https://quattrotires.com/
Old 10-19-2020, 02:24 PM   #1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
One okanagan summer will pretty much destroy most winter tires...
My wife drives like 3k a year so we're talking a few hundred km during the hot part of the summer. I've also run winters through the summer here before and had no wear issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
It sounds like you're asking about an All Weather tire since you're gonna use it in the summer which means it's really just the Nokian WRG4 and Michelin CrossClimate2 that are good enough in all conditions. The other all weathers seem pretty compromised across the board and/or they wear out really fast.
I don't want all weathers, all seasons or all terrains. AW/AS aren't good enough here in the snow, I'm fine with AT tires for myself but I want the best grip possible on compact snow for le wife.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #1533
I don't get it

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Is this going to be your winter specific set or will it be your year round set? If the former then something like the X-Ice and Blizzak would be suit you especially if you want to be able to conquer anything the Tri-Cities throws you. The Nokian Hakkapelltta R3 would also fall into that class of "Eats all Snow" winter tire.

The Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV seems to be the choice for performance winters but I couldn't find it in stock anywhere last winter and settled for the Continental TS850P which I really love in dry/wet winter conditions but it's only alright for snow.
Yeah this will most likely be a winter specific set, but I think I've decided on the new X-Ice Snow (replaces the X-ice 3s). Longevity seems to be better than the DMV2s, although I'll probably only have these tires for 2-3 seasons.
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #1534
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
\

New video
no weight on the rear axle with rwd is asking for trouble

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2020, 11:20 PM   #1535
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 29 Posts
I've got KO2's on my truck this year so I'll be interested to see how they do; I had Duratracs before and they were fantastic. Interested to see how they do in ice vs. KO2's.

X-ice3 on my daily.

Also, I have 2 sets of brand new tires for sale =)
205/60r16 Continental VikingContact7
185/65r15 General Altimax Arctic
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #1536

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
I've got KO2's on my truck this year so I'll be interested to see how they do; I had Duratracs before and they were fantastic. Interested to see how they do in ice vs. KO2's.

X-ice3 on my daily.

Also, I have 2 sets of brand new tires for sale =)
205/60r16 Continental VikingContact7
185/65r15 General Altimax Arctic
Duratracs have always done me better than the K02's. Actually even the yokohama geolanders were better than the K02's. I've had multiple sets of all three. Always on 1 ton trucks.

Out of those three i would always buy duratracs. Keep in mind my driving ranges from BC to yukon NWT and Alberta. My terrain ranges from hwy to dirt and FSRs and rarely some really bad goat trails. I range from 65k to 125k km a year. So i drive a lot.

The tires i want to try next are the nitto terra exo grapplers. They certainly look aggressive, unfortunately i just put a new set of duratracs on a couple months ago, so i probably wont be getting anything new until new year now.

Cooper STTs are another option and the general grabbers as well. No experience with either of them, but ive heard some good things.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #1537

I'm not sure if they've updated the design, but the General Grabber AT2 was really good on snow, but absolute trash on compact snow and ice for me.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:01 PM   #1538
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post

The tires i want to try next are the nitto terra exo grapplers. They certainly look aggressive, unfortunately i just put a new set of duratracs on a couple months ago, so i probably wont be getting anything new until new year now.
did you ever give falken wildpeaks a go? you should help review the Toyo At3 as well
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:24 AM   #1539
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Duratracs have always done me better than the K02's. Actually even the yokohama geolanders were better than the K02's. I've had multiple sets of all three. Always on 1 ton trucks.

Out of those three i would always buy duratracs. Keep in mind my driving ranges from BC to yukon NWT and Alberta. My terrain ranges from hwy to dirt and FSRs and rarely some really bad goat trails. I range from 65k to 125k km a year. So i drive a lot.

Cooper STTs are another option and the general grabbers as well. No experience with either of them, but ive heard some good things.
Do you ever stud any of the tires? I had a set of Hankook studded snow tires and they were the best winter tires I have run, especially on hardpacked snow over the Coq and on ice. But the sound of studs are annoying for the 99% of the time you don't need them.

I've been considering those Cooper STTs as my next set for my truck, but mostly for summer/4x4ing/hunting tires. I run dedicated snow tires on all vehicles (currently Toyos on the truck and car)
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #1540
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,857 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
The benefit of tires like the ko2 or the new Pirelli scorpion something something is that they’re aggressive off-road tires with a winter rating, so you can run them all year. If you stud them, then it defeats the purpose.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #1541
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Have they completely reinvented the scorpions? Because they were garbage for the longest time
Old 10-22-2020, 07:21 AM   #1542
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Found out that my price on the Conti VikingContacts were a few bucks less than the Yokohama's LOL. Definite install, and going narrower 205/50/17 than the GTI's stock 225/45/17.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #1543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Do you ever stud any of the tires? I had a set of Hankook studded snow tires and they were the best winter tires I have run, especially on hardpacked snow over the Coq and on ice. But the sound of studs are annoying for the 99% of the time you don't need them.

I've been considering those Cooper STTs as my next set for my truck, but mostly for summer/4x4ing/hunting tires. I run dedicated snow tires on all vehicles (currently Toyos on the truck and car)
Exactly once. I studded a set of K02's, I was driving the coq basically every weekend at that time, and it was the dead of winter. The truck rode like it was on rails. It wasn't even a question of if I have traction, even on that typical half packed snow/ice, half exposed pavement the coq often has during winter my traction was basically endless.

One of my coworkers, who doesn't like driving in the snow, drove my truck a few times, and despite being super cautious she seemed to learn the truck was going to stay true and go where she points it pretty quick, and then she got comfortable and was able to drive in pretty shitty conditions with relative ease.

The issue with studding is the road noise, once you get back to the coast it's ridiculous and totally not needed. Even if you remain in a climate like the yukon where it's frozen for months on end, the general person should be able to use regular good winter tires just as reliably as studded tires.

This might sound terrible, but the main draw for me in studding tires for that set was being able to drive quickly. When you are driving the coq to get home every weekend, being stuck going slow really sucks. This was a way I could reliably be able to increase my speed 20+km/h with really zero risk. I know that might sound dangerous, but you need to understand, I was doing this trip typically at very off hours, usually monday's at 2-3am, and fridays going home at 10pm or later, so traffic was minimal. I'm not out here purposefully risking other road users lives just to get home 20 minutes faster.

I will say, as soon as the weather got a bit warmer, that noise of the studs flying off the tires and hitting the truck body, or fender wells was super irritating as well. If you own your truck, I would cringe big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
The benefit of tires like the ko2 or the new Pirelli scorpion something something is that they’re aggressive off-road tires with a winter rating, so you can run them all year. If you stud them, then it defeats the purpose.
I'd agree with this. I dont like to be switching tires for seasons. The other thing with studs, is even places like PG, or kamloops go through warm spells throughout the winter sometimes these can last weeks. You are going to be destroying studs rolling on them at 10 or 15 degrees on dry roads. Like I'm talking a few hundred km, and you will have ripped half of them out.

Quote:
did you ever give falken wildpeaks a go? you should help review the Toyo At3 as well
Third party information here as I have not ever run them, but my tire guru said he wouldn't sell me a set. If I was running a half ton maybe, but not for a diesel 1 ton, especially when I often pulling fairly large trailers. They are essentially duratracs, they are just slightly less beefy. You can tell this if you pick up a duratrac and wildpeak at the same time, the duratrac is noticeably heavier. I am told most of this weight comes in the sidewall of the duratrac, which is what makes that tire so good at resisting punctures and slashes (lost of loose sharp shale on BC's FSR's, so this is a huge consideration for my use case). The other thing that was mentioned to me was bad experience with how they wear, leading to them needing to be much quicker than they should be.

The main draw of the wildpeaks is they are cheap, yet they still look aggressive for an AT. I'm sure it's fine for your average SUV or Jeep, but for heavier vehicles I have been swayed away.

For anyone in an SUV, or lighter truck, I always am looking to see what heavier vehicles are using. Use cases considered, if a tire is working well under a 8000 or 10000lb truck, then you can bet your ass it's going to work well under your 4-5000lb SUV.

Last edited by meme405; 10-22-2020 at 12:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #1544

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
10:37 AM PDT Thursday 22 October 2020
Special weather statement in effect for:

Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
Early season wet snow over higher terrain is possible Friday morning as a modified Arctic airmass arrives on the coast. Below seasonal temperatures will continue through the weekend.

A low pressure system will pass just off Vancouver Island Friday morning and move onto the Washington coast Friday evening. Meanwhile, Arctic air will advance southward through the B.C. interior. The onset of precipitation combined with falling temperatures will bring a risk of wet snow to neighbourhoods and roadways above 300 m.

The system will move out of the region Friday evening but a cold airmass settling in behind will ensure temperatures remain 5 to 8 degrees below seasonal normals.
I need Acura604 to put on his snow tires so I don't have to, please.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #1545
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:

For anyone in an SUV, or lighter truck, I always am looking to see what heavier vehicles are using. Use cases considered, if a tire is working well under a 8000 or 10000lb truck, then you can bet your ass it's going to work well under your 4-5000lb SUV.
would you still go for LT on your personal vehicle if not towing? just for extra puncture resistance?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #1546

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Exactly once. I studded a set of K02's, I was driving the coq basically every weekend at that time, and it was the dead of winter. The truck rode like it was on rails. It wasn't even a question of if I have traction, even on that typical half packed snow/ice, half exposed pavement the coq often has during winter my traction was basically endless.

One of my coworkers, who doesn't like driving in the snow, drove my truck a few times, and despite being super cautious she seemed to learn the truck was going to stay true and go where she points it pretty quick, and then she got comfortable and was able to drive in pretty shitty conditions with relative ease.

The issue with studding is the road noise, once you get back to the coast it's ridiculous and totally not needed. Even if you remain in a climate like the yukon where it's frozen for months on end, the general person should be able to use regular good winter tires just as reliably as studded tires.

This might sound terrible, but the main draw for me in studding tires for that set was being able to drive quickly. When you are driving the coq to get home every weekend, being stuck going slow really sucks. This was a way I could reliably be able to increase my speed 20+km/h with really zero risk. I know that might sound dangerous, but you need to understand, I was doing this trip typically at very off hours, usually monday's at 2-3am, and fridays going home at 10pm or later, so traffic was minimal. I'm not out here purposefully risking other road users lives just to get home 20 minutes faster.

I will say, as soon as the weather got a bit warmer, that noise of the studs flying off the tires and hitting the truck body, or fender wells was super irritating as well. If you own your truck, I would cringe big time.

I'd agree with this. I dont like to be switching tires for seasons. The other thing with studs, is even places like PG, or kamloops go through warm spells throughout the winter sometimes these can last weeks. You are going to be destroying studs rolling on them at 10 or 15 degrees on dry roads. Like I'm talking a few hundred km, and you will have ripped half of them out.

Third party information here as I have not ever run them, but my tire guru said he wouldn't sell me a set. If I was running a half ton maybe, but not for a diesel 1 ton, especially when I often pulling fairly large trailers. They are essentially duratracs, they are just slightly less beefy. You can tell this if you pick up a duratrac and wildpeak at the same time, the duratrac is noticeably heavier. I am told most of this weight comes in the sidewall of the duratrac, which is what makes that tire so good at resisting punctures and slashes (lost of loose sharp shale on BC's FSR's, so this is a huge consideration for my use case). The other thing that was mentioned to me was bad experience with how they wear, leading to them needing to be much quicker than they should be.

The main draw of the wildpeaks is they are cheap, yet they still look aggressive for an AT. I'm sure it's fine for your average SUV or Jeep, but for heavier vehicles I have been swayed away.

How do you stud KO2's? They're not studdable...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #1547
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,857 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
The same way you’d stud an ATV’s tires lol

Spoiler!
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 PM   #1548

Thanked 2,921 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I need Acura604 to put on his snow tires so I don't have to, please.
I’ll be putting them on both cars this Saturday. Don’t worry...I’ll save u
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #1549
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
better take them off for tuesday, gonna be 12C

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2020, 03:47 AM   #1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
How do you stud KO2's? They're not studdable...
Sorry I think I just had KO2's on my mind, they were Duratrac's I had that were studded. If I remember correctly I had to get them in a slightly odd size, not sure. We're talking winter of 2014-15, so long time ago for me to remember.

Quote:
would you still go for LT on your personal vehicle if not towing? just for extra puncture resistance?
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:

My personal daily driver right now is actually also a 1 ton diesel. LOL. So yes, that truck is running Duratracs as well, as that truck is mainly used as a camping/adventure rig. I dont tow with it, but it hits a lot of backroads as well.

for normal people really depends on the use of the vehicle, anyone who enjoys the outdoor, and might potentially take their vehicle up an FSR to get to a trailhead or a viewpoint, or go camping, yes. You should run the beefiest tires you can buy for your car, if you have an SUV or larger truck, that will typically be 10 Ply's (lets not get into the 12-20 ply military or small run makers).

If you just have a car, im talking like honda civic and you run on highways, and in town, then there are no good singular choices for you, in that scenario you need a dedicated winter and all season for the rest of the year. Yes, you might be able to get away without a winter if you say you wont drive the days it snows and only stay in vancouver, but even then with the amount of rain and continuous days where it can be freezing in the mornings or at night, you really are better off just forking out the money and getting the second set for winter.