REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #201
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

For corning, studs don't affect it that much because most of the studs are usually towards the middle of the tire which doesn't affect the amount of contact patch with the outside edge of the tire.
Ah no - studs are usually always ONLY on the outside edges of the tires, to enable better contact in the middle of the tire for rain/traction etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The studding must depend on the style of the tire, because I'm pretty sure the studded Hankooks I got for SnowX have most of them near the outside of the tire.
^ this is how almost all studded tires are, outside only.
Advertisement
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #202
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
Ah no - studs are usually always ONLY on the outside edges of the tires, to enable better contact in the middle of the tire for rain/traction etc.

^ this is how almost all studded tires are, outside only.
My General's and my old Bridgestones were studded more to the middle of the tire. The inner and outer 1/4 of the tread patch has no studs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #203
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
My General's and my old Bridgestones were studded more to the middle of the tire. The inner and outer 1/4 of the tread patch has no studs.
I'd like to know the models and have a look, it is certainly not the norm. Last 1/4 are no studs, of course not, that would rip/tear the rubber.

Anyways - I just realized that I have been running Toyo Garit KX tires on my Jetta the last two seasons and they have been an incredibly good tire in wet and snow/ice conditions. They have crushed walnut shells in them that 'supposedly' add traction and then when they fall out, act like many tiny sipes. Who knows how much marketing that is or not, but they grip anything.

Took my car out on the icy roads this morning and could only get the back to kick out if I came into a corner hard, tapped the brakes and pinned it. Gotta try, for science and and all.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #204
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ thanked for your valuable contributions to the scientific community.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #205
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
The Hakka 8's actually have studs on the outer edge and center tread. Anyway, I opted to pick those up. A tad expensive, but I think they're going to be worth it.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #206
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
So I bought a used car earlier this year and the owner gave me a set of Toyo Garit KXs with basically new tread on all 4 tires. The issue is that the tires were manufactured in 2007 and 2008...I have noticed the tires are bit hard when I feel them with my hand. I know that newer winter tires typically have a grippy feel.

Should I buy a brand new set of winter tires...when the existing tires are practically brand new with no cracking whatsoever?

Last edited by learn2manual; 12-28-2015 at 10:37 PM.
learn2manual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #207
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 51 Times in 8 Posts
Were the tires stored inside, like in a garage? That would help extend its shelf life.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #208
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,913 Times in 7,397 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
8 years is a long, long time. Have you driven on them? How do they feel? That will tell you more than we ever could.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:28 PM   #209

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Depending where you read, the general advice is that tires "expire" after 5-10 years.

If they're roughly 8-9 years old, it may be a good idea to simply buy new ones.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #210
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
Decided to pick up some General Altimax Arctics after going through this thread. In my size they only come with a Q speed rating, whereas my OEM tire has a H speed rating.

I've read on a couple tire retailer websites that for winter tires it is acceptable to go down in speed rating. Is this true?
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #211
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,537 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 32 Posts
^Are you planning on consistently traveling >160km/h? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I've had my Altimax Arctics for years and have not had any problems driving for hours at high speeds (<160km/h)
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #212
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 51 Times in 8 Posts
Apparently some folks
Say it may feel mushy, but it depends on your driving Style and your oem
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #213
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBishop View Post
Decided to pick up some General Altimax Arctics after going through this thread. In my size they only come with a Q speed rating, whereas my OEM tire has a H speed rating.

I've read on a couple tire retailer websites that for winter tires it is acceptable to go down in speed rating. Is this true?
They're noisy if you driving on the highway. This is just going at 80-110km. It does its job, can't complain for the price.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #214
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 11 Times in 1 Post
Gonna buy a new set of winter tires, help me decide between these two.

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4

Or

Bridgestone LM32

Reviews and such both are awesome, what would you choose?
whiteTDIpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #215
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Whichever is cheaper! Hard to go wrong with those two.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 AM   #216
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 88 Posts
I don't know understand why people think it is ok to buy cheap snow tires but reco expensive summer tires???? in the end it is the only contact patch you have.

I have never had Michelin, Pilot Alpin PA4s, but I am running Michelin Alpin PA3s and love them. Very soft and grippy tire in the snow.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #217

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I don't know understand why people think it is ok to buy cheap snow tires but reco expensive summer tires???? in the end it is the only contact patch you have.

I have never had Michelin, Pilot Alpin PA4s, but I am running Michelin Alpin PA3s and love them. Very soft and grippy tire in the snow.
Z3guy, never meant to recommend 'cheap' snow tires - both of the ones that were listed are fairly pricey. In no way or manner would a Blizzak or a Pilot Alpin be considered cheap. Cheap to me = Linglong, Triangle, Federal, Nexen etc.

The performance difference between the LM-32 and the PA4 are quite small. I would be happy to run either of them, and have run older versions before. I only said whichever is cheaper because it's pretty much a coin toss between them in my opinion.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #218
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 42 Posts
I haven't ran Blizzaks before but I recently drove to Lillooet and Kamloops on a new set of Falken HS449 Eurowinters on a Civic. Cost about $590 tax in and including mount/balance.

They performed really well in my opinion. Drove through a storm on the Coquihalla on the way to Kamloops, and drove up Highway 12 to Lillooet (which is pretty sketchy in some places, single icy lane on the side of the mountain with a huge drop below). No complaints. There really wasn't any time when I wasn't confident in the tires ability.

They were a lot cheaper than Blizzaks and Michelin X-Ice, but for the money I thought they performed very well
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #219
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
A cheap tire, summer or winter, will be fine almost all of the time. They will do most of what you ask them to sufficiently. But, when shit hits the fan and you need to start/stop/maneuver quickly, you may end up pushing the tire past its capabilities. I value my personal safety and my family, so I buy tires that will give me the best odds of coming through in crunch time. Some folks don't have the $ for better tires, or they play the odds with cheap tires (and are very likely to be totally fine).

My grandpa lived hard and didn't give two shits about anything: smoked like a chimney, drank like a fish, no exercise, worked too much, and he lived to 75...odds be damned. Just like the guy that runs bald summer tires through every winter and comes out unscathed. But I'm a numbers guy, and I'll do what I can to stay around for as long as I can
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #220
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Among snow tires I don't think the diff between cheap and expensive is as tied to performance as summer tires are. Eg. Snow/ice traction/grip doesn't decline as quickly in a winter tire as it does as grip does in a cheap summer tire.

If you get a X-Ice instead of a Altimax Arctic you're getting better noise suppression, better ride, and better traction/grip in dry cold conditions but I'm not sure you'd see dramatically better snow/ice traction (at least not commensurate with the price increase).

Not advocating for cheap winters (especially Triangles and shit like that) but I think it's fine to purchase a 2nd tier brand for your winters like a Falken, Hankook, etc.

(For the record I use Blizzaks)

Last edited by supafamous; 01-18-2016 at 08:33 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #221

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
Serious discussion. We been having some pretty warm winters lately. Thinking about putting insurance back on the summer ride come feb. anybody else doing the same?
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #222
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ How warm though? My general rule is to not drive on summer tires below 10*C. Easy enough during the day in the early spring, but not so much in the evening or early morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Among snow tires I don't think the diff between cheap and expensive is as tied to performance as summer tires are. Eg. Snow/ice traction/grip doesn't decline as quickly in a winter tire as it does as grip does in a cheap summer tire.
Interesting, but I'd have to disagree. Just looking at the accident statistics, more people are finding the limits of their tires in the winter than in the summer. Driving down the road at the speed limit in the summer the only time most people would be finding a limit is during emergency braking. Do the same in the winter and you can easy be hitting limits when you're starting, turning, stopping normally, etc.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #223

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ How warm though? My general rule is to not drive on summer tires below 10*C. Easy enough during the day in the early spring, but not so much in the evening or early morning.

Interesting, but I'd have to disagree. Just looking at the accident statistics, more people are finding the limits of their tires in the winter than in the summer. Driving down the road at the speed limit in the summer the only time most people would be finding a limit is during emergency braking. Do the same in the winter and you can easy be hitting limits when you're starting, turning, stopping normally, etc.
I think what he means is:
A $200 summer tire provides far superior traction to a $100 summer tire while a $200 winter tire traction provides somewhat superior traction to a $100 winter tire.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #224
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
I think what he means is:
A $200 summer tire provides far superior traction to a $100 summer tire while a $200 winter tire traction provides somewhat superior traction to a $100 winter tire.
Correct. No one should be embarrassed to buy a 2nd tier winter tire - it'll be plenty good (and kudos for even getting winters) and serve you plenty well compared to a top tier winter tire. It's still 80-90% of what a top tier winter tire is.

But cheap summer tires are kinda stupid. Might as well get an all-season tire. You're giving heaps of performance when you cheap out on a summer.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 PM   #225
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
When are you guys planning to swap out the winters for summer tires? I'm getting new PSS and getting them installed next week but not sure if I should hold off or not.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote