REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-02-2023, 07:20 PM   #2426
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! CROSS CLIMATE 2222222s are the best tire ever. if you dont buy it, YOURE BEING DUMB. OMG OMG OMG OMG

CROSS CLIAMTE 222222222222222222'ssssssssssss
Advertisement
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 07:34 PM   #2427
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is ECS = Continental Extreme Contact Sport?

I should have replied with more detail - This is for my daily driver 2017 Toyota Corolla with 137hp @ 6100rpm and 126 ft-lb of furious torque at 4000rpm. Most of my driving is highway (because Toronto) with lots of stop and go bumper to bumper traffic on the highways and city driving.

We'll do the occasional trip to Buffalo, NY and to Montreal, but looking to do more extensive trips this year to the Maritimes. This car will never see track or autocross duty. The Boxster has a new set of Hankook RS4 endurance tires so that will be used mainly for track duty this season.

Re: Costco - They don't have shit in my area lol (GTA.) Stock size/factory wheel setup is a square 225/45/17.
Yes, ECS = ExtremeContact Sport.
They recently released a new model called ExtremeContact Sport 02. lol.

What's wrong with going with the Pilot Sport A/S series again? I think the current gen is A/S4. Sounds like any UHP tire would be overkill in a 137hp car, and it doesn't sound like you'll be taking it aggressively on twistys anyway. Pilot Sport A/S tires are all seasons, but more on the performance spectrum. You have other A/S tires that are more "boring" and lean toward comfort and better mileage.

Indy500 would be a great performance tire too, although it probably won't be as good in rain, but they are relatively cheap. But most likely overkill for the type of driving it sounds like you'll be doing in the Corolla.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 05-02-2023 at 07:42 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 07:42 PM   #2428
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
I enjoy driving slow cars fast but I don't want to give up on life.
In that case the Ultra High Performance A/S category is loaded with great options according to Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS

One advantage of the Continentals is that they tend to be lighter by a couple pounds than the Michelins which are then a couple pounds lighter than the Bridgestones. I have the DWS06+ and their past history of squishy sidewalls is not really true anymore - if anything I'd like a little more squish.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:17 PM   #2429
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,156 Times in 3,637 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
If they made cross climate 2s for my ratrolla I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Performance ?!? Wtf is that. Why do I need performance going to dolar hotpot
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:21 PM   #2430
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Need to rush there to beat the flood of Mainlanders taking over Richmond

In all seriousness, I think top contenders for me right now are the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Anyone here a fan of Yokohama tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:38 PM   #2431
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:

In all seriousness, I think top contenders for me right now are the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06+ or the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4. Anyone here a fan of Yokohama tires?
Those two are good choices. I'm not familiar with the Yoko options beyond the AD08Rs lol.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:39 PM   #2432
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Start your own I don't need summer tires but still want a good tire thread
EDIT: Actually don't, it'll just be CrossClimate2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
I would still say that the CSC7 and PS5 is still in the same class. One is just at the upper range and one in the lower range. They're both Max Performance tires. Yes, the PS5's are probably in the 300 treadwear range and the CSC7 is 240 treadwear. The PS5S will be probably 200-220 treadwear?
240TW is Cup2 Connect right now. I believe PS4S is around 300, PS5 I just looked up and it's 340. That's the stepping right now and anything below 250 is going to be in the track tire class. Tires have come a long way, or the tire manufacturer's BS has come a long way.

I'm on AD09 and that's a 200TW tire. The fam car is on DWS06+ and that's something retarded like 540TW. I don't think it'll last that long.

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but is ECS = Continental Extreme Contact Sport?

I should have replied with more detail - This is for my daily driver 2017 Toyota Corolla with 137hp @ 6100rpm and 126 ft-lb of furious torque at 4000rpm. Most of my driving is highway (because Toronto) with lots of stop and go bumper to bumper traffic on the highways and city driving.

We'll do the occasional trip to Buffalo, NY and to Montreal, but looking to do more extensive trips this year to the Maritimes. This car will never see track or autocross duty. The Boxster has a new set of Hankook RS4 endurance tires so that will be used mainly for track duty this season.

Re: Costco - They don't have shit in my area lol (GTA.) Stock size/factory wheel setup is a square 225/45/17.
It's a Corolla, Triangle is where it's at.

But really, get some DWS06+ and call it a day. On paper the Michelin PAS4 is a better tire, but are you going to argue with 25% cheaper?
I was going to put PAS4 on the X3, but it was 1600+ whereas the DWS06+ was 1200. Bit of a no brainer even if the Michelins will outlast the DWS06+. At the mileage that I put on, the tires will rot before they wear out.

There's always CrossClimates

Quote:

Aren't Yokos really only known for their Advan line?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:40 PM   #2433
Banned (ABWS)?

Honestly for people in the lower mainland, I would recommend the CC2's if they're only going to buy one set of tires (Better than just running year round with All seasons). Our winters here are pretty mild and CC2's can be used year round for the average driver that just treats their car as a A to B commuter.

At the very least, it would mean when there is light snowfall, people at the very least have tires that can handle it.

Of course the best is always a dedicated winter and summer set, but that's asking for a lot I guess.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 08:50 PM   #2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post

240TW is Cup2 Connect right now. I believe PS4S is around 300, PS5 I just looked up and it's 340. That's the stepping right now and anything below 250 is going to be in the track tire class. Tires have come a long way, or the tire manufacturer's BS has come a long way.

I'm on AD09 and that's a 200TW tire. The fam car is on DWS06+ and that's something retarded like 540TW. I don't think it'll last that long.

Aren't Yokos really only known for their Advan line?
Tire treadwear ratings from Tire Rack

CSC6/7 are 240 - hilariously short IMO
ECS/ ECS02 is 340
RE71RS 200
RT660 is 200
Cup 2 is "240"
PS4S is "300"
PS4 is 320

I think tire manufacturers have come a long way.

Yoko has Advan A/S tires but no idea how good they are.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 09:00 PM   #2435
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
I usually swap on the winter tires mid-October because temperatures start to dip to 7 degrees and to avoid the tire shop rush. The all-seasons come on mid-to-late April. You also have to keep in mind, I'm in Toronto, not the Lower Mainland anymore, so the climate here is different. I guess you COULD run CrossClimate 2s all year round, but that's asking for serious trouble especially on wild snow days.

I do a lot of highway driving, so for context, round trip to / from work is now 40km as opposed to 60km per day. Some weekends, I'm doing 120-200km per day depending on if I go to Richmond Hill/Markham or further out to Canadian Tire Motorsport for track weekends. Corolla is the support vehicle. Can't put shit in a Boxster. Gonna camp at the track this year. I'm doing grad school this year too, so that's additional mileage between Downtown Toronto and London, ON. FUUUUUUU.

Edit: While this is not Michelin's fault, but more so of environmental factors and a bunch of ambiguous variables, but I really wished that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s I have on now would last a little longer and not succumb to pre-mature cracks on the treads themselves. They are noisy as hell (I seriously cannot hear myself think) and bumpy as hell. Suspension was refreshed a year and a bit ago, so it's not that. I'll have to check alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:06 PM   #2436
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Tire treadwear ratings from Tire Rack

CSC6/7 are 240 - hilariously short IMO
ECS/ ECS02 is 340
RE71RS 200
RT660 is 200
Cup 2 is "240"
PS4S is "300"
PS4 is 320

I think tire manufacturers have come a long way.

Yoko has Advan A/S tires but no idea how good they are.

FYI though, the TW (UTQG) is kind of a crapshoot. There isn't a universal standard. These rating are actually given by the manufacturers' themselves.

A 200-240 rating will tell you it's aggressive made for track performance, but a 240 doesn't necessarily mean it will outlast a 200 from different brands.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 09:16 PM   #2437
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
I usually swap on the winter tires mid-October because temperatures start to dip to 7 degrees and to avoid the tire shop rush. The all-seasons come on mid-to-late April. You also have to keep in mind, I'm in Toronto, not the Lower Mainland anymore, so the climate here is different. I guess you COULD run CrossClimate 2s all year round, but that's asking for serious trouble especially on wild snow days.
If you have dedicated winter tires, no need to run CC2's. It's just a jack of all trades then, and wouldn't suffice for Toronto winter.

But it honestly sounds like you should be looking into touring tires that offer comfort and low rolling resistance so you get better fuel mileage.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-02-2023, 09:20 PM   #2438

Move the chat to here
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #2439
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Which brand tends to keep making the same model of tire the longest? I've been using Michelin winters for a while but I noticed they seem to only make each model for a couple years and then discontinue it. I got a flat in one of my X Ice 3's that are a few years old but at 90% tread, but it's not sold anymore so I can't just buy a new tire.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #2440
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,370 Times in 462 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Which brand tends to keep making the same model of tire the longest? I've been using Michelin winters for a while but I noticed they seem to only make each model for a couple years and then discontinue it. I got a flat in one of my X Ice 3's that are a few years old but at 90% tread, but it's not sold anymore so I can't just buy a new tire.
The X-Ice 3 probably had the longest run of a modern winter tire - laucnhed in 2012 and really only replaced this year with XIce Snow.

Bridgestone on the other hand has gone through 3-4 generations of their Blizzak WS

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6[/SIZE]
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #2441
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
I got a flat in one of my X Ice 3's that are a few years old but at 90% tread, but it's not sold anymore so I can't just buy a new tire.
Try hunting Canadian Tire - they often have older tires on sale. I put together a set of X Ice 2s last year from 2 separate CT stores.

What size are you looking for? I can run a search against their inventory.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #2442

Quote:
Which brand tends to keep making the same model of tire the longest?
Goodyear still sells their Eagle RS-A which came out in 1997. Acura saw fit to equip them as OEM tires on my RDX and still puts them on for their 2023 cars. It's a shit tire yet somehow won't die - there's 2 newer versions out too (Eagle Sport, Eagle Exhilarate)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #2443
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
That would be awesome, thanks. 195/65R15. Should be product number 69846.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
The X-Ice 3 probably had the longest run of a modern winter tire - laucnhed in 2012 and really only replaced this year with XIce Snow.

Bridgestone on the other hand has gone through 3-4 generations of their Blizzak WS
Weird because it seemed like it was only out for a couple years. In the family we've bought several sets of the X Ice over the last few years and every time it was a different model. We've had the originals, 2's, 3's and now Snow.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:13 AM   #2444
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
That would be awesome, thanks. 195/65R15. Should be product number 69846.

Weird because it seemed like it was only out for a couple years. In the family we've bought several sets of the X Ice over the last few years and every time it was a different model. We've had the originals, 2's, 3's and now Snow.
Link to listing: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...p.0051931.html

Looks like Vegreville, AB has 1 but I'm not sure if they're willing to ship. Here's a fuller list:

Last edited by radeonboy; 05-03-2023 at 12:14 PM.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 11:15 AM   #2445

Quote:
Which brand tends to keep making the same model of tire the longest?
You got me going into the rabbit hole now...Dunlop (owned by Goodyear) still sells their SP Sport 5000 tire which came out in the mid-90s. It was ALSO a shit tire and it came on my 2003 Protege5. It's down to 5 sizes though so pretty close to being discontinued.

https://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/...ort-5000-tires
This post thanked by:
Old 05-03-2023, 01:07 PM   #2446

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Goodyear still sells their Eagle RS-A which came out in 1997. Acura saw fit to equip them as OEM tires on my RDX and still puts them on for their 2023 cars. It's a shit tire yet somehow won't die - there's 2 newer versions out too (Eagle Sport, Eagle Exhilarate)
They put the Eagle RS-A on 245 for the super base model 485HP Scat Pack Challenger/Charger as well. Absolutely criminal HAHA

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
Old 05-03-2023, 01:08 PM   #2447

Quote:
You got me going into the rabbit hole now...Dunlop (owned by Goodyear) still sells their SP Sport 5000 tire which came out in the mid-90s. It was ALSO a shit tire and it came on my 2003 Protege5. It's down to 5 sizes though so pretty close to being discontinued.

https://www.goodyear.ca/en-CA/tires/...ort-5000-tires
The 19 inch size goes on the Pre 2019 Mazda 6 GT.
The post 2019 6 GT (including the turbo trim) got the Falken Ziex ZE001.... a CROSSOVER tire on a sporty sedan.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rand%20Touring

Love Mazda but the tires they put on cars have to be the absolute worst possible spec.

Past:
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
Old 05-03-2023, 07:10 PM   #2448

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
The 19 inch size goes on the Pre 2019 Mazda 6 GT.
The post 2019 6 GT (including the turbo trim) got the Falken Ziex ZE001.... a CROSSOVER tire on a sporty sedan.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...rand%20Touring

Love Mazda but the tires they put on cars have to be the absolute worst possible spec.
OEM tire choices are often baffling. I get they want something cheap and something that works in most generic climates but they seem to ignore the impact to fuel economy, ride comfort, steering response etc.

Another one that makes little sense is the CR-V's stock tire, the Hankook Kinergy GT (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/hankook-kinergy-gt) - the reviews are horrible.
Old 05-03-2023, 07:33 PM   #2449
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
OEM tire choices are often baffling. I get they want something cheap and something that works in most generic climates but they seem to ignore the impact to fuel economy, ride comfort, steering response etc.

Another one that makes little sense is the CR-V's stock tire, the Hankook Kinergy GT (https://www.tirerack.com/tires/hankook-kinergy-gt) - the reviews are horrible.
Sometimes I feel because of the variety of OEM tires that get used on cars, that's the only reason why there's even so many.

Seems like there's really only the same 3-4 leading tires per category that everyone leans towards to if they were buying aftermarket.
Old 05-03-2023, 10:06 PM   #2450
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,318 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
The Bridgestone RE92 is another one of those long living OE tires. The earliest I remember is around 2000, and I still saw them as OE equipment a few years ago.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote