REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #326
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
Hehe: Agreed. Myself, I usually wait about a week off roast before even attempting to give them a go.

Hondaracer: Single dosing might help you there. And you can keep the beans in the bag or in an air tight container.
Advertisement
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #327
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Go with a single dose. Throwing all your beans in the hopper will only speed up the degassing process, and therefore go stale fast. It's okay for shops with high volume to do this because they go through so much more coffee faster than most of us at home can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #328
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Vertuo owner here, can confirm squeaks and unnervingly loud vibrating while it makes coffee I clean it regularly (water cycle) and have descaled it once as well, no changes.

The ease of use is the selling point for me. Besides, it's about as good as capsule coffee gets, especially when they have those limited release capsules that are actually quite good.
i mean without the squeak it's pretty quiet compared to my pixie (smaller pods). i wanted it b/c vertuo had hazzlenut while the pods didn't
reading reddit a guy said you gotta pop off the top and clean some parts where it grabs on to the pod or something. i'm tempted complaining to nespresso since i owned it only a couple weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You're probably the brightest of the bunch in not having to go through the pains of all this shit we're doing for a coffee.
haha, the simplicity of it and being able to actually recycle pods is a huge plus, especially with work from home.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #329
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i mean without the squeak it's pretty quiet compared to my pixie (smaller pods). i wanted it b/c vertuo had hazzlenut while the pods didn't
reading reddit a guy said you gotta pop off the top and clean some parts where it grabs on to the pod or something. i'm tempted complaining to nespresso since i owned it only a couple weeks...
Nespresso's customer service is quite good. Take the time to provide them some solid feedback; They will likely take the input and feed it back to their product development teams and reward you for the feedback with some goodies.

I bought a Nespresso for my parents a few years back, and sent them some feedback about the drip tray. Low and behold, they sent me some generous vouchers to redeem for more coffee pods at the store.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #330
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Now with the new machine, I have 2 portafilters, tamper, and some other shit... how do you guys keep it nice and tidy?

I saw this

Very nice but OOS.

Saw some 3D printed hanger thing that you can use to hang on the wall... which is an alternative.

What do you guys do?

I have an ikea skadis pegboard right on top of the espresso machine, might get some hooks and see if they work. Only concern is putting too much weight on the board as portafilters and tampers aren't exactly light. And if I have to be extra careful everytime I put them on, kinda defeats the purpose.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #331
RS Veteran

I've never been able to solve this problem, so occasionally, I just put all my wares in a drawer underneath. I haven't figured out a way to keep it nice and tidy. I leave my main portafilter on the grouphead.
Quote:
Old 09-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #332
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Failed 416 Times in 132 Posts
Off Topic but I regularly badgered bcrdukes when I had a question about coffee equipment. He is a fountain of knowledge on the topic.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #333
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
On dat good good

Man the Moja beans are so good

Old 09-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Off Topic but I regularly badgered bcrdukes when I had a question about coffee equipment. He is a fountain of knowledge on the topic.
For a RS resident hipster, he better be.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #335
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Now with the new machine, I have 2 portafilters, tamper, and some other shit... how do you guys keep it nice and tidy?

I saw this

Very nice but OOS.

Saw some 3D printed hanger thing that you can use to hang on the wall... which is an alternative.

What do you guys do?

I have an ikea skadis pegboard right on top of the espresso machine, might get some hooks and see if they work. Only concern is putting too much weight on the board as portafilters and tampers aren't exactly light. And if I have to be extra careful everytime I put them on, kinda defeats the purpose.
I try to put everything I don't use daily in one bin (extra tamper, portafilters, cleaning supplies) and anything on the tabletop are items I would need to use at least once a day for my coffee routine. I use the Decent Espresso temper cradle to arrange my tamper, distribution tool and funnel.

I got this Ikea kitchen island table for $50 bucks on CL and added a mini hanger rack on the side to hang my milk jugs and portafilter towel.

I'm looking to build a custom table with pull out drawers and storage when I move to a bigger place to help improve my storage situation fo ray coffee and roasting tools.

cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2020, 01:36 PM   #336
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
Boss setup, GS3 and HG1 :O
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #337
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
I drink my coffee with milk and no sugar now. Why? Because I was tired of people fucking up the amount of sugar I'd ask for (2 milk, 1 sugar). Eventually started putting sugar in by myself which later led to me not using sugar at all.

I've found that once I got used to milk, I couldn't go back to cream. It tastes so fattening and just blech... anyone else?
follow up post 5 years later!

I've been drinking black for probably 2+ years now. Helped me accommodate my macro and now intermittent fasting for the last year. If I ever get milk, it's still a no sugar necessary type of drink for me unless I'm having it with food at a HK style cafe.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #338
RS Veteran

Damn, that's a boss setup, cafe22.
Quote:
Old 09-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #339
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 116 Times in 29 Posts
I’ve been drinking local roast through an Aeropress with a bit of whole milk. JJ Bean or Parallel 49.

The contraption is cheap and easy. The drink quality is sufficient.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:47 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
I try to put everything I don't use daily in one bin (extra tamper, portafilters, cleaning supplies) and anything on the tabletop are items I would need to use at least once a day for my coffee routine. I use the Decent Espresso temper cradle to arrange my tamper, distribution tool and funnel.

I got this Ikea kitchen island table for $50 bucks on CL and added a mini hanger rack on the side to hang my milk jugs and portafilter towel.

I'm looking to build a custom table with pull out drawers and storage when I move to a bigger place to help improve my storage situation fo ray coffee and roasting tools.

That's one badass setup.

Those storage tubes, where do you get them? Any keyword to look up online?
Old 09-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #341
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Cafe22, I wanted to do something similar but man I make a mess when making my coffee. Having a sink near by was also key for me. No matter how hard I try, I can’t pour a shot and have some grinds, or drips of coffee somewhere. So my machine stays right by the sink and garbage. Ha.

Mind you, everything I do at about a million miles an hour. Probably part of the issue.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2020, 07:55 AM   #342
RS Veteran

Quote:
That's one badass setup.

https://weberworkshops.com/collectio...lar-commercial
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #343
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
That's one badass setup.

Thanks! I began my journey with a Saeco Aroma and Baratza Encore 15 years ago, so I think I am heading towards the end of the tunnel when it comes to upgrading espresso equipment... Maybe an EK43s, EG-1 or Molar X will help cap it off haha

bcrdukes linked the ones to the front. Weber's ex-business partner also sell a similar product: https://craiglyn.com/bean-vaults/

The taller, skinner tubes in the back are from Taobao. I use those for hand drip coffee (I usually make one or two a week). https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...01.N.N.818908d

Last edited by cafe22; 09-13-2020 at 09:40 AM.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2020, 04:07 PM   #344
RS Veteran

lol the rabbit hole has no end to upgrade'itis

Edit: @Hehe - If you can wait, it looks like Craiglyn may have a Cyber Monday sale, based on an old blog post on their website. It's not a huge savings (10%) off, but hey, savings is savings.
Quote:

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #345

Quote:
lol the rabbit hole has no end to upgrade'itis

Edit: @Hehe - If you can wait, it looks like Craiglyn may have a Cyber Monday sale, based on an old blog post on their website. It's not a huge savings (10%) off, but hey, savings is savings.
Thanks for the heads up. Not in the hurry as I still manage fine with my airscape container in 2 sizes. It’s just I saw that and with the niche zero being a single dose grinder, I thought it’s an amazing solution to store the beans.

Anyone wants to do a RS group buy for the 100 pack?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:39 AM   #346
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
Thanks! I began my journey with a Saeco Aroma and Baratza Encore 15 years ago, so I think I am heading towards the end of the tunnel when it comes to upgrading espresso equipment... Maybe an EK43s, EG-1 or Molar X will help cap it off haha

bcrdukes linked the ones to the front. Weber's ex-business partner also sell a similar product: https://craiglyn.com/bean-vaults/

The taller, skinner tubes in the back are from Taobao. I use those for hand drip coffee (I usually make one or two a week). https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...01.N.N.818908d
Nice setup. I've got a very similar one but rocking the EK43 and the MP version of the GS3. Sort of wish I got a grinder that had a smaller profile though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F3FE8705-FDDA-4918-9A1D-1DBE1FDD80D3_1_105_c.jpeg (181.4 KB, 0 views)
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 AM   #347
RS Veteran

Damn, nice setup and back splash.

I have a handful of questions if you don't mind:

1. Which cups are you using?
2. Is that a 27" deep counter?
3. If so, do you find that it's enough workspace for the GS3?
4. Where are the electrical cables going? I can't see if you've drilled a hole and routed them to an outlet underneath or not.
5. Is that a plumbed in GS3 or pourover?
6. If plumbed in, did you do it yourself?

Two things I am looking to achieve/confirm:
1. I'm looking to plumb in my Rocket at my new place, but on the fence if it's worth all the (unnecessary) work or not, hence the questions. I mostly pull about 2 shots a day (morning and afternoon) and that's it.
2. To get a GS3 or LM Mini, or not. I don't need to. But rather, I want to. Something to think of down the road.

While it may not seem obvious, E61-based machines are notorious for water waste, so I have to refill regularly especially after drawing a bunch of cooling shots to stabilize the grouphead. I haven't come across anyone who has plumbed their Rocket in, both to draw in water, and to dispose of the wasted water through proper plumbing.

Add insult to injury, the plumbing kit that comes with the Rocket is shipped with European fittings, so I'd need to buy a North American kit.
Quote:

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-14-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:17 AM   #348
RS Veteran

Quote:
TAnyone wants to do a RS group buy for the 100 pack?
If I were in Vancouver, I would be interested. I'm sure you can round up a few aficionados here to get it going.
Quote:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #349

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Damn, nice setup and back splash.

I have a handful of questions if you don't mind:

1. Which cups are you using?
2. Is that a 27" deep counter?
3. If so, do you find that it's enough workspace for the GS3?
4. Where are the electrical cables going? I can't see if you've drilled a hole and routed them to an outlet underneath or not.
5. Is that a plumbed in GS3 or pourover?
6. If plumbed in, did you do it yourself?

Two things I am looking to achieve/confirm:
1. I'm looking to plumb in my Rocket at my new place, but on the fence if it's worth all the (unnecessary) work or not, hence the questions. I mostly pull about 2 shots a day (morning and afternoon) and that's it.
2. To get a GS3 or LM Mini, or not. I don't need to. But rather, I want to. Something to think of down the road.

While it may not seem obvious, E61-based machines are notorious for water waste, so I have to refill regularly especially after drawing a bunch of cooling shots to stabilize the grouphead. I haven't come across anyone who has plumbed their Rocket in, both to draw in water, and to dispose of the wasted water through proper plumbing.

Add insult to injury, the plumbing kit that comes with the Rocket is shipped with European fittings, so I'd need to buy a North American kit.
1) Acme cups (https://www.acmecups.com/). Mine are pretty old-school ones (I think they're first generation). Their quality is so-so (for instance, the handle isn't always put on straight).

2) Standard 24"

3), I wish it was deeper. I used to have my setup on an extra deep counter space (bay window), and I felt like I had ample room in front of the GS3. Unfortunately, this wasn't possible here since it's a continuation of the kitchen counter, so it would've looked aesthetically weird. I already made special arrangements for the EK43 by having smaller cabinets above to accommodate the grinder's height. Nonetheless, it's still manageable if you have space to the sides.

4) There's a hole at the back of the countertop that drops down to a plug for the grinder/espresso machine (plug is on its own 15A breaker too).

5) Plumbed in. Biggest compromise I made here was not putting the cutout hole (same hole used for electrical) directly under the center of the espresso machine, but the back. Pro: I still had functional drawer space directly under (conveniently storing all my coffee-related crap). Con: The water flow isn't straight down, so there can be still water (since there are kinks, more turns etc).

6) Done by a plumber.

To be honest, plumbing in is so worth it. If you have the flexibility to do it, do it!

I was debating between the LM and the GS3 myself as well and I chose the GS3 because I liked the mechanical paddle (can play with pressure profiling etc.) That being said, I wasn't prepared for the HIGH annual maintenance cost on the GS3 (I'm not sure if its cheaper on the LM). I'm starting to look into servicing the machine myself just to save on future service costs. This is definitely something you should look into before you make the plunge. I also leave the machine on 24/7, and it uses a considerable amount of energy (If I recall, it's nearly $15/month)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #350

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Not in the hurry as I still manage fine with my airscape container in 2 sizes. It’s just I saw that and with the niche zero being a single dose grinder, I thought it’s an amazing solution to store the beans.

Anyone wants to do a RS group buy for the 100 pack?

I'm using Airscape containers myself, but I saw this video recently. Makes me wonder if there's any point

This post thanked by: