REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #351
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
ntan - Thanks for the detailed reply. Very much appreciated

I'll definitely consider this when I move into the new place. The placement for my plumbing isn't ideal, seeing as the general plumbing rule of thumb is "Shit doesn't travel up" applies. I need to figure out my plumbing situation due to the snakes and ladders of the setup, and ultimately where I want to put it. I'm in the middle of planning a kitchenette to accommodate my espresso setup, so it will depend on that. Your setup is quite an impressive investment, and by far, one of the best I've seen. cafe22's as well, given his constraints (I'm assuming he lives in a condo/townhouse.)

Re: Acme cups - I've lusted for them for a while, but given that I am the only coffee/espresso drinker in the household, I've never bothered to upgrade to nicer cups. The best cup is one that Expresso gave me, made by ANCAP Italy, and a gift set from BMW made by Kahla Germany. lol

Upgrading from the Rocket to a LM has been tough mainly because of 1. cost of entry 2. cost to maintain 3. I hate to admit it, but I still love my second wave coffee. While I do enjoy the occassional third-wave specialty coffee, my preferences lead back to second wave coffee. The Rocket does a great job of pulling second-wave espresso, and I love it for its simplicity and reliability. Edit: I used to leave my machines on 24/7, but that expedited the need to replace seals and gaskets and stuff, and if you've ever taken apart an espresso machine, you'll learn quickly that Italians are masochists. Don't ask me how I know.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 09-14-2020 at 09:52 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:40 AM   #352
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
sick setup ntan! (I guess you were featured in one of Edmond's IG video recently?). Do you plan to change the burr or hopper setup for single dosing?

@hehe, if you are interested in the bean cellar, I could sell you 4 of mine. PM me if you're interested.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #353
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts

My very simple setup - nowhere near as fancy as you espresso drinkers lol. Switched to this from Nespresso to save on pod costs and have better coffee - I usually have two mugs, so half capacity here is just about right. 41g of coffee + 6 cups as marked by Moccamaster (about 750ml of water).
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #354
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,841 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Our friend is a potter and has made us some proper latte cups and also have the little duck handled espresso cups lol

Old 09-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #355
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
sick setup ntan! (I guess you were featured in one of Edmond's IG video recently?). Do you plan to change the burr or hopper setup for single dosing?

@hehe, if you are interested in the bean cellar, I could sell you 4 of mine. PM me if you're interested.
PM'd. Maybe RS coffee meet at Cafe22?

checking with a buddy who's also into coffee... he is also interested in 24 (I'm in for 24 too).

Anyone else in the group buy so we make 100?
Old 09-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #356
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 13 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post

My very simple setup - nowhere near as fancy as you espresso drinkers lol. Switched to this from Nespresso to save on pod costs and have better coffee - I usually have two mugs, so half capacity here is just about right. 41g of coffee + 6 cups as marked by Moccamaster (about 750ml of water).
How do you like the Moccamaster? I'm actually looking at different machines and came across this one recently.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #357
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
ntan - Thanks for the detailed reply. Very much appreciated

I'll definitely consider this when I move into the new place. The placement for my plumbing isn't ideal, seeing as the general plumbing rule of thumb is "Shit doesn't travel up" applies. I need to figure out my plumbing situation due to the snakes and ladders of the setup, and ultimately where I want to put it. I'm in the middle of planning a kitchenette to accommodate my espresso setup, so it will depend on that. Your setup is quite an impressive investment, and by far, one of the best I've seen. cafe22's as well, given his constraints (I'm assuming he lives in a condo/townhouse.)

Re: Acme cups - I've lusted for them for a while, but given that I am the only coffee/espresso drinker in the household, I've never bothered to upgrade to nicer cups. The best cup is one that Expresso gave me, made by ANCAP Italy, and a gift set from BMW made by Kahla Germany. lol

Upgrading from the Rocket to a LM has been tough mainly because of 1. cost of entry 2. cost to maintain 3. I hate to admit it, but I still love my second wave coffee. While I do enjoy the occassional third-wave specialty coffee, my preferences lead back to second wave coffee. The Rocket does a great job of pulling second-wave espresso, and I love it for its simplicity and reliability. Edit: I used to leave my machines on 24/7, but that expedited the need to replace seals and gaskets and stuff, and if you've ever taken apart an espresso machine, you'll learn quickly that Italians are masochists. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks man. Appreciate it. Yeah I recently moved and did a massive renovation, so I was able to build a coffee bar to how I wanted with minimal compromises.

I've had to take apart the GS3 several times (I had display issues several times in the first year of ownership... was honestly quite disappointed w/ the quality) and man, it took a lot of elbow grease, haha. But I really don't look forward to paying someone $500+/year just to maintain my machine.

Quote:

Wow. I'm surprised you were able to recognize the setup from his IG video, haha. I actually became friends with Edmond (owner/roaster of Moving Coffee for those who don't know him) a few years back when I was fanboying his coffee. My fav was his Guji espresso back in 2018... literally tasted like a blue berry smoothie from Jugo Juice.

Burr I'm unsure as they're quite expensive and I'm not sure if there's any noticeable difference in quality (I haven't looked too much into this, so I might be wrong). I really want the smaller hopper but forking out $200 seems quite steep. I've always single dosed anyways, so it's more of an aesthetic thing if anything.

The next purchase on my mind is maybe an OCD v3?
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #358

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Our friend is a potter and has made us some proper latte cups and also have the little duck handled espresso cups lol

Speaking of custom pottery, I really like the cups they have at Single V Coffee. Does anyone know where they get theirs made?
Old 09-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #359
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
Speaking of custom pottery, I really like the cups they have at Single V Coffee. Does anyone know where they get theirs made?
I believe Jason (the owner of Single V) got them made in collaboration with Burnaby Potters Guild.

Regarding burrs, I would say you will see a noticeable change/improvement with burr alignment and geometry from light roasted espresso beans. I could attest to this when I changed my mazzer SJ burrs to SSP reds.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2020, 09:42 AM   #360

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
I believe Jason (the owner of Single V) got them made in collaboration with Burnaby Potters Guild.

Regarding burrs, I would say you will see a noticeable change/improvement with burr alignment and geometry from light roasted espresso beans. I could attest to this when I changed my mazzer SJ burrs to SSP reds.
Hmm interesting. Where did you buy your SSP burrs? Any distributors that have it for cheaper? I'll need to read a bit more about SSP burrs and the different combinations (high vs low uniformity vs different coatings) first...
Old 09-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #361
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
How do you like the Moccamaster? I'm actually looking at different machines and came across this one recently.
Very simple, consistent machine. I love the simplicity - but if you like fiddling with features it's not for you. Build quality is great, like a tank, and you have confidence in this thing lasting for a long time.

I like it a lot, and I think it produces good-to-great coffee, but hand pourover will still extract the most flavour.

I got it on sale from Transcend Coffee, so I didn't pay full price, and that helps - it's not cheap.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #362
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Highly recommend it if you are looking for a brewer that will last until we all die lol. I have one for my workplace and it has been going strong for the past 8 years without a single issue.

An alternative would be from Bonavita. Similar technology minus the higher end components inside.

https://eightouncecoffee.ca/products...smart_campaign
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #363

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
@cafe22, I'm curious if you service your GS3 yourself? Do you find yourself replacing the vacuum breaker/the o-rings every 6 months or so? And if you do service it yourself, do you buy a new vacuum breaker or just the o-rings? I would like to just change the o-rings but haven't had any luck sourcing them locally.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:04 AM   #364
RS Veteran

Quote:
@cafe22, I'm curious if you service your GS3 yourself? Do you find yourself replacing the vacuum breaker/the o-rings every 6 months or so? And if you do service it yourself, do you buy a new vacuum breaker or just the o-rings? I would like to just change the o-rings but haven't had any luck sourcing them locally.
Do the local retailers and the distributor (i think 1?) not sell the o-rings to service the machines? Or are you bound by their service regimes?

I'm lucky that parts are readily available for the Rocket, but oh man, such a pain in the ass to take apart any kind of espresso machine.
Quote:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #365
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,764 Times in 826 Posts
Failed 883 Times in 161 Posts
yea or nay?

https://coffeeforwellness.com/

"Created by pro-golfer Phil Mickelson and world-class performance coach Dave Phillips, Coffee for Wellness is an exceptionally high-quality coffee blend: ethically sourced and roasted to preserve coffee’s natural antioxidants. When combined with ‘The Good Stuff’—Phil and Dave’s tried and tested combination of adaptogens, nootropics, and superfoods—you get the best tasting and best performing cup of infused coffee in the business. So, you can be a better you, every single day."
Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #366

Quote:
Highly recommend it if you are looking for a brewer that will last until we all die lol. I have one for my workplace and it has been going strong for the past 8 years without a single issue.

An alternative would be from Bonavita. Similar technology minus the higher end components inside.

https://eightouncecoffee.ca/products...smart_campaign
I had a Bonavita previously. I wasn't a fan and ended up returning. I'm considering the Moccamaster KBT, Breville BDC450BSS, and the Zojirushi EC-YGC120 right now.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #367
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
I also had no luck sourcing locally the food-safe/grade o-ring inside the vacuum valve. I ended up buying a new steam vacuum valve from here:
https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/la...i-vacuum-valve

It's a pretty easy DIY if you have the right wrenches and a bit of muscles cause those things are screwed in tight.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #368
RS Veteran

Quote:
I also had no luck sourcing locally the food-safe/grade o-ring inside the vacuum valve. I ended up buying a new steam vacuum valve from here:
https://coffeeaddicts.ca/products/la...i-vacuum-valve

It's a pretty easy DIY if you have the right wrenches and a bit of muscles cause those things are screwed in tight.
Getting food safe o-ring grease is a pain in the ass. I had to order some from idrinkcoffee.com.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #369
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
yea or nay?

https://coffeeforwellness.com/

"Created by pro-golfer Phil Mickelson and world-class performance coach Dave Phillips, Coffee for Wellness is an exceptionally high-quality coffee blend: ethically sourced and roasted to preserve coffee’s natural antioxidants. When combined with ‘The Good Stuff’—Phil and Dave’s tried and tested combination of adaptogens, nootropics, and superfoods—you get the best tasting and best performing cup of infused coffee in the business. So, you can be a better you, every single day."
If it tastes good and isn't too expensive, go for it
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #370

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Do the local retailers and the distributor (i think 1?) not sell the o-rings to service the machines? Or are you bound by their service regimes?

I'm lucky that parts are readily available for the Rocket, but oh man, such a pain in the ass to take apart any kind of espresso machine.
They push you really hard to get the machines to be serviced by them (vacuum breaker service ~$150), but since my machine is now out of warranty, they'll sell me an entire vacuum breaker replacement (like the one cafe22 linked), but not the o-rings themselves. Reading forums, it seems like it's just the o-rings that fail.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #371
RS Veteran

Quote:
I had a Bonavita previously. I wasn't a fan and ended up returning. I'm considering the Moccamaster KBT, Breville BDC450BSS, and the Zojirushi EC-YGC120 right now.
Do share with us your experience should you decide to get the Zojirushi. I don't expect Japanese appliance companies getting into the game, so it was neat seeing Zojirushi stepping up.
Quote:
Old 09-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #372

Quote:
Do share with us your experience should you decide to get the Zojirushi. I don't expect Japanese appliance companies getting into the game, so it was neat seeing Zojirushi stepping up.
Zojirushi has 5 models of coffee makers currently, as far as I can see. I know they make quality products based on how much people seem to love their rice cookers. I'm leaning towards the Breville at the moment, still undecided though.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:59 AM   #373
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,567 Times in 4,936 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Speaking of Zojirushi, I love my VE Hybrid Boiler and Warmer................ to make perfectly good instant coffee in a huge root beer mug. Add Bailey's, sip it, let it cool down for a few hours, then in the fridge it goes.

Oh, no tap water ever goes into the Zojirushi. Only bottled water from Costco - the 20 litre stuff.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #374
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
In terms of grind .. Umbria for the win.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #375
RS Veteran

Do you mean blend?
Quote: