REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-01-2023, 09:33 AM   #751
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Nope the Costco coffee grinders are back. They're by the food court, usually 2-3 machines running around. EvoFire, you know you can get dosing grinders right - you press a button, the grinder grinds for a specified amount of time, and then you can just dump it into the coffee maker?

Also, for fast food coffee, McD's is surprisingly good.
Advertisement
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:05 AM   #752
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
always wondered what mcds coffee would taste like if you bought a bag of whole beans put it through a good grinder and espresso machine, then made a latte with it. not really brave enough to buy a whole bag to find out. im sure it wouldnt taste good compared to buying a much fresher bag of single origin stuff but probably leaps and bounds above what they do at the store when you buy a latte from them.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #753
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
I imagine the beans being shipped to the stores are a lot fresher than those sitting on shelves.

Not sure what machines they use here in Canada, but in certain countries they use actual espresso machines.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #754
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Nope the Costco coffee grinders are back. They're by the food court, usually 2-3 machines running around. EvoFire, you know you can get dosing grinders right - you press a button, the grinder grinds for a specified amount of time, and then you can just dump it into the coffee maker?

Also, for fast food coffee, McD's is surprisingly good.
Yes, but I also don't want to have another machine and don't want to spend money on the machine. Counter space is already at a premium and I don't like the noise with a 6 month old at home. I'll keep an eye out for costco grinders and might just do that for the time being.

I actually quite like McD coffee. Especally when it's $1 coffee it's hard to beat. IMO short of going to a coffee shop, I'd pick McD coffee over anything else.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2023, 11:13 AM   #755
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Yes, but I also don't want to have another machine and don't want to spend money on the machine. Counter space is already at a premium and I don't like the noise with a 6 month old at home. I'll keep an eye out for costco grinders and might just do that for the time being.

I actually quite like McD coffee. Especally when it's $1 coffee it's hard to beat. IMO short of going to a coffee shop, I'd pick McD coffee over anything else.
If you get a grinder like the Eureka Silenzio/Specialita, they are actually very very quiet. Cheap grinders are loud. The expensive ones are much quieter.

But yeah fair enough on the counter space etc.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #756
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
If you get a grinder like the Eureka Silenzio/Specialita, they are actually very very quiet. Cheap grinders are loud. The expensive ones are much quieter.

Specialita gang
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 08-01-2023, 11:55 AM   #757
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:

Or you know, go steal Duke's
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #758
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 71 Times in 25 Posts
I would have a specialita for sale in a couple weeks if you're interested.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:03 PM   #759

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,145 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I find both McD's coffee and A&W coffee to be pretty decent in a pinch. I drink it black and like it better than Starbucks drip which I find too bitter.
Old 08-01-2023, 05:23 PM   #760
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 61 Posts
am I the only one here hand grinding beans every morning?
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #761
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I imagine the beans being shipped to the stores are a lot fresher than those sitting on shelves.

Not sure what machines they use here in Canada, but in certain countries they use actual espresso machines.
I do get beans from the shelves when they go on sale... usually Kickinghorse ones. They are decent.

But the best way to describe between beans fresh from roaster vs. shelf beans is fresh fish vs. frozen fish as sashimi.

Yeah, frozen fish are fine and they don't taste all that bad, but fresh fish sashimi is just that much better/sweeter/tastier. The difference is not subtle, but it's definitely there.

Some dudes I know are so into beans that they see shelf beans like some sorta of monstrosity... but I think it's fine. 80% of the taste for 20% of the cost. I'd rather drink a cup of Kickinghorse Hola in the morning than have no coffee. Heck, even a double double from Tim's would do just fine, but the expectation is a lot lower.
Old 08-01-2023, 06:51 PM   #762
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
am I the only one here hand grinding beans every morning?
Old 08-01-2023, 11:18 PM   #763
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,538 Times in 577 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
a&w keeps advertising that their coffee is good; i should go try it. But me not being a huge coffee drinker, i probably cant even tell whats good vs whats bad.

I think Vietnamese coffee is good. Cafe du mond (i like the dui part) or trung nguguguguyen coffee.
I tried the pre-ground Trung Nguyen coffee. It had artificial flavors and wasn't tasty. Threw out the bag after 2 tries. Is the canned version any good?

G7 makes fantastic instant ice coffee, same with cafe phở.

Also got my Flip coworker to bring back coffee from the Philippines. I'll have to hit up a Viet deli for robusta coffee.
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023 (sold)

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT) (sold)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020 (sold)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 11:25 PM   #764
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Best Viet coffee I made was using Lavazza in the red/blue bags. It's a blend of arabica and robusta. This was many years ago though, so it's possible the newer beans have a different profile. I just remember I got pretty great results with this, after trying several different beans. Brew low temp, around 80 C

You really need some robusta in there, but I would not want 100%. Trung Nguyen is a blend. I tried other viet brands and they was fine too, just that it's easy and cheap enough to get Lavazza. Cafe du monde has chicory added, so it will be a different drink.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 09:53 AM   #765
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Best Viet coffee I made was using Lavazza in the red/blue bags. It's a blend of arabica and robusta. This was many years ago though, so it's possible the newer beans have a different profile. I just remember I got pretty great results with this, after trying several different beans. Brew low temp, around 80 C

You really need some robusta in there, but I would not want 100%. Trung Nguyen is a blend. I tried other viet brands and they was fine too, just that it's easy and cheap enough to get Lavazza. Cafe du monde has chicory added, so it will be a different drink.
Can you share your steps in making Viet Coffee? I'm surprised can be possible with Lavazza!!
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:23 AM   #766
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
I find both McD's coffee and A&W coffee to be pretty decent in a pinch. I drink it black and like it better than Starbucks drip which I find too bitter.
The only Starbucks drip which is drinkable IMO is the Blonde roast.

I'm all about the McD's coffee though when I don't have time to make my own. $4 for coffee and a McMuffin as well!

Anyone try the Nitro Cold Brew from Starbucks? Expensive for what it is, but super smooth. I only get it if I'm on a work trip and I can expense it.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:33 AM   #767
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
Can you share your steps in making Viet Coffee? I'm surprised can be possible with Lavazza!!
Take coffee. Add condensed milk and ice.

Tada !!!!
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #768
Say! Say! Say!

I worked at a takeout Vietnamese place ages ago that did iced coffee.

Because we didn't have time during rush hour, we would just pull a shit ton of espresso shots into a pitcher ahead of time.

When someone would order, we would take a cup, add a few pumps of condensed milk diluted with water, pour some of the espresso in it, mix thoroughly then add ice.

Can't remember what beans we used.
Old 08-02-2023, 11:42 AM   #769
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Quote:

Tada !!!!
I am offended. How dare you?!

You didn't even tell him which Phin dripper to use, the optimal coffee to water ratio, water temperature, pour technique, brew times, and coffee to condensed milk ratios. Good day, sir!
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 11:51 AM   #770

Last time I didn’t have any coffee filters at home so I took bounty towels and some trung nguyenenene. Had a great experience doing McGaiver coffee filter.

Taste about the same as normal to me hahaha that’s how sophisticated my pallet is.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:01 PM   #771
Say! Say! Say!

My new coffee beans came in today.

It just occurred to me that my vacuum sealed packs were always puffing in the freezer not because I fucked up sealing them, but because they were probably degassing.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:07 PM   #772
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:

Tada !!!!
So here I am, paying $6 for a Cafe Su De like a chump
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #773

Don’t forget to filter your coffee with bounty towels. Or lesser brand paper towels for even more savings.

That gluey taste is the robusta you’re missing.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:09 AM   #774

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,145 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
My new coffee beans came in today.

It just occurred to me that my vacuum sealed packs were always puffing in the freezer not because I fucked up sealing them, but because they were probably degassing.

Anytime I think about putting coffee in the freezer I think of the line:

"I like my women like I like my coffee. Ground up and stored in the freezer. No, no, I mean hot and strong"
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #775
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
i always freeze coffee, thats how you take advantage of free shipping when it comes to ordering beans. usually you have to order like at least 3 bags to pass the shipping threshold. i freeze them all immediately except for the one i use first.

personally i dont really fuss about the offgassing of the beans since i always consume them all within about a month anyway, i dont store beans for several months or longer. i doubt any loss in freshness in that 1 month in the freezer will translate into the cup by any amount i can notice.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote