REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #776
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Re: Vietnamese Coffee

Given its cost at restaurants, I never order it anymore. Like Badhobz said, just dump some hot water over it in a Phin dripper and call it a day. The coffee used in most restaurants isn't anything special. It's just a dark French roast with "maybe" some spices (if any, mostly none) and condensed milk.

$6 no thanks.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #777
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
true, nowadays its no longer $3.50 or $4, its $5.50 or $6.
hard pass
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 12:36 PM   #778
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Just did the Costco grindr with some kicking horse beans. It's like 1/3 the price of getting JJbean beans. I'm broke and need to save monies.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #779
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I'm broke and need to save monies.
Says the guy with the grey M3.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2023, 02:19 PM   #780
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
Was with le woman at Walmart yesterday. We strolled by the coffee aisle, she just looked at what Nespresso capsules were on sale and grabbed them (some Tim Hortons one and some Lavazza one).

Box of ten for like $6.49 so 65c a drink, which is on par with my 5lb bags and 18g per shot - although I of course get significantly more coffee in my drink per shot since I think Nespresso is like 5g of actual beans.

Was a little bit envious when I remembered how easy it is for her to have coffee in the morning. I spent like 30 minutes earlier just weighing my beans and sealing them, lol. She probably spends less time than that making her coffee in an entire month!
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 03:21 PM   #781
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:27 PM   #782

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Says the guy with the grey M3.
So complains the person with a P car
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2023, 11:07 PM   #783
RS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-04-2023, 09:39 AM   #784
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
anyone one here own or have experienced a bean-to-cup super automatic machine?

The prime day deal for the Philips Lattego 3200 peaked my interest, and since then have feel into a rabbit hole of spending more to get something better, and now I'm wondering if other machines are worth more than 2x (De'longhi Dinamica plus) or 3x (Jura E8) the price.

Yes I know there are even more expensive machines, but that's probably as high as I would go...

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #785
SFICC-03*

are you totally against making your own espresso with a normal machine?
personally i wouldnt drop $2-3k on a machine like that only to get a worse result than a $1000 regular setup, even if it were more convenient. if it helps, usually i set my machine on a timer to preheat in the morning, and by the time i make a shot and steam my milk, then clean my machine, it's only about 5 minutes.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 11:28 AM   #786
Say! Say! Say!

I tried the Philips LatteGo before I returned it. It was pretty ass.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:42 AM   #787
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If you don’t want to have a seperate grinder I’m still loving my Breville 870xl I bought way back near the beggining of this thread

Having the hopper and grinder built in means all you’re doing is tamping really. Takes about a minute start to finish to foam your milk for lattes etc. and this machine can be had for 600-700 I think still.

I’ve never had or used a nicer machine but relative to the coffee shops I prefer, Moja, JJ, etc. I think I pull a pretty good shot and make a tasty latte for the price
Old 08-04-2023, 11:50 AM   #788
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,509 Times in 959 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
true, nowadays its no longer $3.50 or $4, its $5.50 or $6.
hard pass
I've seen iced ones go for $7 - 10 after tip and tax, feels like it's positioned similar to bubble tea pricing.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 12:44 PM   #789

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
I've seen iced ones go for $7 - 10 after tip and tax, feels like it's positioned similar to bubble tea pricing.
yea...wtf is with BBT pricing these days
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 01:34 PM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
are you totally against making your own espresso with a normal machine?
personally i wouldnt drop $2-3k on a machine like that only to get a worse result than a $1000 regular setup, even if it were more convenient. if it helps, usually i set my machine on a timer to preheat in the morning, and by the time i make a shot and steam my milk, then clean my machine, it's only about 5 minutes.
5 minutes does seem very tempting, but how long did it take you to perfect your shot? I never really considered making my own simply because I wanted something simple that my wife could use as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
I tried the Philips LatteGo before I returned it. It was pretty ass.
I've heard that it will take 30- 50 shots before the Philips machines are primed to begin to start making decent shots, and then you can start to experiment with settings to get it to your preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you don’t want to have a seperate grinder I’m still loving my Breville 870xl I bought way back near the beggining of this thread

Having the hopper and grinder built in means all you’re doing is tamping really. Takes about a minute start to finish to foam your milk for lattes etc. and this machine can be had for 600-700 I think still.

I’ve never had or used a nicer machine but relative to the coffee shops I prefer, Moja, JJ, etc. I think I pull a pretty good shot and make a tasty latte for the price
Is your machine what is considered a "semi-automatic" machine?

My Feedback

Blah™
Old 08-04-2023, 01:36 PM   #791
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,871 Times in 5,632 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Gotta be semi-auto, full auto is banned in Canada... Trudeau took away Honda's full auto
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #792
SFICC-03*

perfect my shot? good one

truth be told, using a semi auto machine will sort of become a hobby so if you don't want to put time into it or multiple people are going to use it, then it's not worth doing.
Old 08-04-2023, 03:28 PM   #793
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
I don’t think the 870XL is considered semi-auto?

I thought semi auto did the tamping but you had to dispose of the grounds yourself?
Old 08-04-2023, 04:54 PM   #794
RS Veteran

lol noobz

semi automatic is anytime you need to grind your own beans and press a button or pull a lever and start/stop the shot yourself

full automatic / automatic is you press a button and espresso/coffee magically comes out

see you later fun boiz
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2023, 10:31 PM   #795
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
5 minutes does seem very tempting, but how long did it take you to perfect your shot? I never really considered making my own simply because I wanted something simple that my wife could use as well
Nothing too fancy is needed to get a decent shot even for a noob.

Grind beans, put grinds into portafilter, tamp, insert into machine, push button.

All you really need to do is to adjust your grinder until it's the right fineness for your beans where you get 36g of liquid in around 25-30 seconds (assuming an input of a standard 18g double basket).

If you get a bottomless portafilter, you can see if you have channeling (where the espresso is coming out from only one or a few spots rather than all equally down the middle of the basket).

I used to get a bit of channeling, but since I made the WDT tool (I posted it a few pages back in this thread) it's been pretty good.

If you're interested, you can try the Breville Barista Express. It's a good starter machine that also has a built-in grinder. Very popular machine and easy to resell if you decide to upgrade or it's not your thing.

For convenience, I'd probably skip the super automatics and just get a Nespresso. I did a lot of research several months ago and have yet to find one that really ticked the right boxes for me.
Old 08-04-2023, 11:45 PM   #796
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
From my experience from a cheapo machine from Walmart, to 870, to Rocket and to Slayer, the main difference on high-end machines is consistency and ability to deal with particular roast/beans.

Some beans needs a particular grind to really max out its potentials, but very often, we either don't have the grinder to do that, or the espresso machine gives too much inconsistency. So you can have one great shot to a shitty shot right after.

High-end machines have very well controlled components. The pressure is consistent, the water flow is consistent, the temperature is consistent... so on. You just take one guesswork out of the equation.

So, between shot to shot... there should be minimum difference (if any) between the shots. And you pay a great deal of money for that level of consistency.

After all, once you get a tool that you are comfortable with... and this can be a machine or an aeropress or whatever... the most amount of money is actually spent on beans. And I'd hate to waste even a gram of beans if I was using some good beans and more so if they are expensive.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:54 PM   #797

I set the grinder at Costco to 3, it's not fine enough for the aeropress, probably need it set to the finest setting.
Old 08-06-2023, 01:10 PM   #798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Nothing too fancy is needed to get a decent shot even for a noob.

Grind beans, put grinds into portafilter, tamp, insert into machine, push button.

All you really need to do is to adjust your grinder until it's the right fineness for your beans where you get 36g of liquid in around 25-30 seconds (assuming an input of a standard 18g double basket).

If you get a bottomless portafilter, you can see if you have channeling (where the espresso is coming out from only one or a few spots rather than all equally down the middle of the basket).

I used to get a bit of channeling, but since I made the WDT tool (I posted it a few pages back in this thread) it's been pretty good.

If you're interested, you can try the Breville Barista Express. It's a good starter machine that also has a built-in grinder. Very popular machine and easy to resell if you decide to upgrade or it's not your thing.

For convenience, I'd probably skip the super automatics and just get a Nespresso. I did a lot of research several months ago and have yet to find one that really ticked the right boxes for me.
Thanks, I started looking at the Breville Barista Express Impress which is the model with the integrated tamper and dosage aid. The only thing missing I was looking for is the automated steaming of milk but then the next model up which has that was just released is the Touch Impress, but then it's an extra grand. Not sure if that's worth it but at least it's still a lot cheaper than the Oracle!

My Feedback

Blah™
Old 08-06-2023, 02:14 PM   #799
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I love my Breville too. My mom has a full auto from Seaco and it’s ok but you still need to Dick around with it and know what you’re doing to get a proper shot each time you switch coffees.

I turn on my breville. Get my grind while it’s heating (grind is one touch after setting). My cup gets pre warmed from the warm up cycle of the machine (it’s drip a shot or two of water during the warmup cycle). A few second later its ready to pour a shot. Top it up with hot water that’s built into the machine.

It’s 2 more buttons then my moms auto machine and I have the tamper the coffee myself. I don’t even buy JJ beans anymore. I buy the Costco Salt Spring pack and I get great creme’ at home.
Old 08-07-2023, 09:47 AM   #800
SFICC-03*

i dont get whats the big deal with tamping grinds... thats not in any way a tedious step. the part that kind of sucks is dialing in and also dealing with channeling. presumably with a fully auto system it still has to somehow dial in? how does that work?