REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-21-2023, 10:25 AM   #826
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
if you like milk drinks a lot then def important to have a good steam wand.
i'd prob pick the breville over the gaggia just cause it's better out of the box.
lelit uses 57mm portafilters on their lower end stuff which is kind of annoying.
if you have the budget i do really like the profitec machine.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2023, 10:27 AM   #827
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
if you like milk drinks a lot then def important to have a good steam wand.
i'd prob pick the breville over the gaggia just cause it's better out of the box.
lelit uses 57mm portafilters on their lower end stuff which is kind of annoying.
if you have the budget i do really like the profitec machine.
The new Victoria does 58mm portafilters now which is a huge improvement. It's why I added it to the recommendation.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2023, 11:47 AM   #828
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
I got the Lelit Victoria because it used 58mm and I didn't need to fiddle with anything like the Rancilio Silvia and Gaggia Classic.

It's been great.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2023, 05:06 PM   #829
Say! Say! Say!

https://wholelattelove.ca/products/g...in-polar-white

Gaggia Classic Pro for $499. You'll need to mod it with the PID, pressure gauge, etc, to match some of the other models listed above, but it's worth the savings especially if you love tinkering with things.
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:00 PM   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
https://wholelattelove.ca/products/g...in-polar-white

Gaggia Classic Pro for $499. You'll need to mod it with the PID, pressure gauge, etc, to match some of the other models listed above, but it's worth the savings especially if you love tinkering with things.
Having used both now, I might take a Bambino Plus over the GCP pre modded.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:35 AM   #831
RabidMod

Thanked 1,348 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 31 Posts
The GCP was actually $50 off for a while at WLL. And the irony is that it's because I love to tinker with things that I think I need to not get this thing lol!

I have a backlog of projects, and being a new parent has taken up most of my remaining free time. I've been getting way too excited researching the Gagguino dyan mentioned, and I just know from looking at this that it's going to be a huge time-suck.

I mean damn:

The responsible thing to do at this point is probably get the Bambino Plus when it goes on sale, and have it "just work" until the kid grows up and leaves me a little more time to mess around with stuff.

Last edited by RabidRat; 09-28-2023 at 04:45 AM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:44 AM   #832
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Having used both now, I might take a Bambino Plus over the GCP pre modded.
Yeah that's helpful. If the coffee is "meh" w/o mods (the 9 bar spring mod is already done stock on the latest Evo version that came out a couple months ago), it's going to be impossible to leave alone lol!
Old 09-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #833
Say! Say! Say!

God damn, that looks like some rocket scientist shit, lol
Old 09-28-2023, 02:32 PM   #834
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 71 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
The GCP was actually $50 off for a while at WLL. And the irony is that it's because I love to tinker with things that I think I need to not get this thing lol!

I have a backlog of projects, and being a new parent has taken up most of my remaining free time. I've been getting way too excited researching the Gagguino dyan mentioned, and I just know from looking at this that it's going to be a huge time-suck.
In all honesty, it's pretty refined and the longest part of the project is waiting for the parts to arrive lol.

I did it with my brother and put in the Arduino Nano and it took no more than 2 hours. You do need to know basic soldering and how to connect wires. Not sure how long that STM32 Blackpill will take, but that gives you a whole new level of features like flow profiling, etc

The support is there in the discord group and there are plenty of people that can help. Shoot me a message if you're interested and I can lend you a hand if you need.
dyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2023, 08:07 AM   #835
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Nothing too fancy is needed to get a decent shot even for a noob.

Grind beans, put grinds into portafilter, tamp, insert into machine, push button.

All you really need to do is to adjust your grinder until it's the right fineness for your beans where you get 36g of liquid in around 25-30 seconds (assuming an input of a standard 18g double basket).

If you get a bottomless portafilter, you can see if you have channeling (where the espresso is coming out from only one or a few spots rather than all equally down the middle of the basket).

I used to get a bit of channeling, but since I made the WDT tool (I posted it a few pages back in this thread) it's been pretty good.

If you're interested, you can try the Breville Barista Express. It's a good starter machine that also has a built-in grinder. Very popular machine and easy to resell if you decide to upgrade or it's not your thing.

For convenience, I'd probably skip the super automatics and just get a Nespresso. I did a lot of research several months ago and have yet to find one that really ticked the right boxes for me.
OK I just ordered the Barista Express "Impress" that I mentioned earlier as I think that will be better beginner machine versus the original.

For those that have owned the BBE and have experience with the integrated Breville grinders, what beans do you recommend?

I typically drink darker roasts when I go to coffee shops, but apparently some dark roasts are oily and not recommended?

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 08:25 AM   #836
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,150 Times in 3,634 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Wtf !!! You guys are nuts with your bean juice. I honestly can’t even tell the damn difference half the time.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2023, 09:36 PM   #837
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Wtf !!! You guys are nuts with your bean juice. I honestly can’t even tell the damn difference half the time.
I couldn't either.

But it's kind of like beer. You start out just getting whatever's cheapest because it all tastes the same. Then one day you try some better stuff, and yeah you can taste something's different but so what? Then after a while you start to realize hey, I like the IPAs over the pilsners. Sometimes you feel like getting the stout. Then you give craft beer a try: you walk into an entire world of distinct flavor, and you get all the nuances in the profile that you never could before. Not to say you can't drink the cheap stuff anymore. You just appreciate more of the spectrum and into the details now.

Coffee is like that. With the distinct difference that you can brew your own, it only takes a minute, and every morning is a ritual of fresh-ground coffee's potent aroma, clicks, whirs, taps, blocks of solid metal interlocking, followed by a satisfying thunk of finality knocking your coffee puck out into the bin.

It's all very manual. And when you get it right (because there's a lot that has to come together just right), it's just like nailing that bang-on correct rev-match: perfection.

And. Dude. Does this not look friggin delicious to you?

How much longer are you going to deny yourself this tasty, chocolatey, nectar?

One-of-us. One-of-us.

I give Badhobz 2 months before he's roasting his own beans.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:00 PM   #838

I don’t drink anything anymore. Not coffee, or tea or booze. I got a very boring and unrefined pallet.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2023, 10:14 AM   #839
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Quote:
I don’t drink anything anymore. Not coffee, or tea or booze. I got a very boring and unrefined pallet.
Diet Coke!!!!!!!

It'll change your life.............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:26 AM   #840
MG1

Honestly, coffee with Bailey's is awesome. Getting the right amount (ratio) takes lots of practice. I used to think any coffee will do, but not so. Some coffees are amazing with alcohol. Be it Grand Marnier, Bailey's, Kahlua, whiskey, etc.

Carajillo, not gigollo.

Sometimes, on a bad day, like when the Blue Jays lose, alcohol to coffee ratio changes................

I wish they sold alcohol at Badhobz locations in BC. Their Irish Cream is cheap and good.

https://www.costcuisine.com/post/cos...h-cream-review

Last edited by MG1; 10-01-2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:32 PM   #841

Okay so i bought this coffee machine cuz it was on sale for black friday. I was suppose to get that miele machine but i chickened out last minute cuz it had shitty reviews.

https://www.costco.ca/delonghi-ecam2...100974608.html

Anyways i found out that it only makes expresso... i bought a fucking coffee machine that doesnt make normal coffee

I talked to the wise BCRdukes and he said just add water. How much friggin water am i suppose to add to expresso to make it normal coffee!?!?!
Old 12-13-2023, 01:39 PM   #842
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
bro it needs to be alkaline water okay? use a ratio of 1:40 and make sure tha tshit is room temperature jeez why u so mah fan go get your SCCA certification plz
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #843
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been teeter-tottering on getting one of these. RedFlagDeals buyers seem to enjoy it, and the price is pretty attractive. What improvements do these bring over an nspresso machine?

https://www.londondrugs.com/ge-profi.../L2439492.html

radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #844
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,284 Times in 4,634 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
It uses beans of your choice and grinds it for you to yield better taste and extraction quality than a Nespresso. Although, to be fair, Nespresso is not bad for what it is.

Damn, now I want one of these.
Quote:
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2023, 03:50 PM   #845
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Okay so i bought this coffee machine cuz it was on sale for black friday. I was suppose to get that miele machine but i chickened out last minute cuz it had shitty reviews.

https://www.costco.ca/delonghi-ecam2...100974608.html

Anyways i found out that it only makes expresso... i bought a fucking coffee machine that doesnt make normal coffee

I talked to the wise BCRdukes and he said just add water. How much friggin water am i suppose to add to expresso to make it normal coffee!?!?!
Can’t tell if you’re joking or serious lol

A) you bought an ESPRESSO machine lol

B) generally by pressing the hot water button is dispenses enough water for a decent americano
Old 12-13-2023, 05:18 PM   #846

I’m serious. I don’t know jack shit about coffee. I don’t even know what an ounce is. I’m kinda choked I bought a thousand dollar coffee machine that doesn’t making fucking coffee.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:56 PM   #847
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
I’m serious. I don’t know jack shit about coffee. I don’t even know what an ounce is. I’m kinda choked I bought a thousand dollar coffee machine that doesn’t making fucking coffee.
Go to Daiso and get a drip cone and some filters for $2; you'll be able to brew literally the best coffee possible.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2023, 07:19 PM   #848
MG1

I love my Nespresso. Easy to use. No mess. No fussing over this or that. It makes espresso.......... coffee in those tiny dainty cups, lol. I can sit with my legs crossed like a gaylord fokker, wearing a sweater over my back and tied around my neck holding one of those tiny cups with a baby finger in the air................. look like a boss. NOT! Drink that shit and you'll start speaking with a foreign accent, complete with nose in the air.

Back to Nespresso. They are a certified B company. I love that their capsules are recyclable. They give you plastic bags for your used capsules. Just drop them off at one of their boutiques. OR.......... you can ask for the red bags that have prepaid shipping labels on them. Drop them off at the post office. The latest news is that they have designated drop off locations throughout the city. Can't remember which stores............. Staples?

So new, this program that it's not mentioned on their website, yet. Unless the salesperson was fucking with me.

https://www.nespresso.com/ca/en/irecycle

Coffee snobs........ worse than born again christians, gulolol

I know snobbery. I'm an audiophile.

god bless

This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM   #849

You bought a $1000 espressso machine not a coffee machine lol.

The Miele would've made coffee... maybe you should've stuck with that.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:45 PM   #850

Yeah I told dukes that too. I think I’ll refund it and grab the Miele instead. That or I’ll just make an expresso and then add water in equal parts.