REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-02-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
RTA, Renting, and Dealing with Realtors

So my weekday home is up for sale (has been for over a year now). Recently the owner switched to a new realtor and he's been showing the place for a few days now. The problem I have is that he's given me one phone call prior to a viewing (12 hour notice) and since then I've not received a single warning from him prior to other viewings. According to the RTA, he's required to give 24 hours notice via writing. Seeing as this is starting to become an issue, especially since I have a dog and cat inside the house, and I'd like to know when strangers will be going through the place, what can I do to get it through his thick skull? Messages left on his voice mail and to his office have gone unanswered. I'm half tempted to simply switch the locks out, but that might be a bit petty and potentially against the RTA.

Thoughts?

Oh, and my biggest pet peeve is that I know he's been in the house because he leaves the fucking front door unlocked.
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Failed 261 Times in 79 Posts
you tried being civilized and have tried numerous attempts to communicate with him and its clearly not working. if i were in your shoes, i would start playing dirty which forces him to initiate contact with you. maybe try catching the Realtor doing the showing and start giving him crap or maybe even leave the place a bit messy.

im guessing whatever is hindering the sales will pique your landlord to do something.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,232 Times in 423 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, don't change out the locks. It's in the RTA that you shouldn't. Document the occasions they access your house with out proper notice.

How's your relationship with the owner? A gentle reminder that you can file a RTA case against him violating Section 29 of the RTA might be enough to get him to start letting you know.

Or blame the realtor. Call the owner and let him know the realtor is going to cost him a RTA hearing as he's the one violating the RTA regs.

Section 31(3) A tenant must not change a lock or other means that gives access to his or her rental unit unless the landlord agrees in writing to, or the director has ordered, the change.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
shut the power off at the breaker.....start leaving piles of garbage bags at the front entrance. leave dirty dishes out in the kitchen.....don't flush the toilet

none of this leave any damage but accomplishes making the house look shittier to anyone coming to look at it....
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
I'd probably inform the owner that if he doesn't provide sufficient notice, I'd install a keyed door guard.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
2 Wheelin' Mod

Failed 18 Times in 10 Posts
I would talk to the home owner the realtor will have to listen to him/her.
Jas29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Failed 170 Times in 59 Posts
What mikoyan said. But on top of that, I would also report your realtor to whichever company he works for. As a realtor, they should know the rules better than anyone.

You have done more than enough to try and let him know that you are not cool with this situation.

Is your landlord accessible to you? I would personally type up a letter and date it and sign it and meet with your landlord for him/her to sign as well stating the compaint. It should never happen again or else you would follow through with RTA.

The worse he can do is claim his own property for personal use and give you 2 months notice to move out.

You can try leaving a note on the door stating that it is illegal to enter the unit without prior 24 hours notice. And if you really want to be a dick, you can play the technical part saying:

Quote:
Proper notice means a tenant is given written notice of the date, time and purpose for entering the property. By law, notice must be delivered in-person or considered by law to have been given to the tenant at least 24 hours before the landlord enters the unit.
I usually am fine if the landlord realtor gives me a text 24 hours prior. But that is something you would have to work out with the realtor that arranges these viewings.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote