REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #176
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #177
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Nineteen-year-old Yue Hui Wang has been arrested and charged with criminal negligence causing bodily harm. He had returned to China and was only arrested for this crime at Vancouver Airport when he returned to attend his citizenship ceremony.
I'm kinda disappointed that he was able to leave the country in the first place. Seems like the cops caught a break because he decided to come back for the citizenship ceremony. The guy could've just stayed in China to avoid criminal charges.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #178
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Lets see how this goes down.
Goes to court
Has expensive lawyer
Gets 12 months probation and 3 month license suspension
Is driving new huracan in 4 months as a gift for all his pain and suffering of being 3 months without a license and missing his citizenship ceremony.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #179
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,434 Times in 563 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Wait, he still got his citizenship? Great.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #180
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,277 Times in 4,630 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Paging Gulululu for commentary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #181
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
When Irene Thorpe was killed in a street racing incident back in 2000, one of the courts gave him a slap on the wrist type of punishment (house arrest only, I think?). From the subsequent uproar, the Immigration department got on the case and tried to deport the street racer since he wasn't a Canadian citizen yet. A couple rounds of court battles later, the Supreme Court deported the guy's a$$ back to India.

The passenger is not quite dead in this case, but why should the system treat this guy any different? I say we throw the (immigration?) book at him again and deport his a$$ back to China.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #182
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 87 Times in 37 Posts
I think any type of serious crime is already grounds to deport permanent resident, or at least have citizenship application rejected.

unfortunately this kid got his citizenship application approved, hence why he was returning for ceremony
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #183
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,897 Times in 7,390 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When Irene Thorpe was killed in a street racing incident back in 2000, one of the courts gave him a slap on the wrist type of punishment (house arrest only, I think?). From the subsequent uproar, the Immigration department got on the case and tried to deport the street racer since he wasn't a Canadian citizen yet. A couple rounds of court battles later, the Supreme Court deported the guy's a$$ back to India.

The passenger is not quite dead in this case, but why should the system treat this guy any different? I say we throw the (immigration?) book at him again and deport his a$$ back to China.
I usually agree with you traum on immigration and politics, but here I've gotta disagree. Once he became a citizen, he's a canadian as much as anyone. Its our courts job to punish him appropriately. I certainly think crimes causing serious injury or death are grounds to deny citizenship application, but revoking it sets a dangerous precedent.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #184
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 4 Times in 3 Posts
Why wasn't his application for citizenship delayed? Was there no police investigation going on at the time? I agree that once citizenship is granted it should not be taken away, however citizenship should be at least delayed until any ongoing police investigation is solved. He should have been denied the privilege of becoming a citizen to begin with.
Retrac is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #185
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I'm curious to know when his citizenship was approved, surely if there's an ongoing police investigation regarding someone their approval process should be put on hold.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #186
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Apparently, money does buy citizenship. If he was poor, I doubt he would have gotten in. That and he's in SFU now.

I wonder where the balance is between being criminally negligent and allowing someone citizenship due to wealth.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I usually agree with you traum on immigration and politics, but here I've gotta disagree. Once he became a citizen, he's a canadian as much as anyone. Its our courts job to punish him appropriately. I certainly think crimes causing serious injury or death are grounds to deny citizenship application, but revoking it sets a dangerous precedent.
Don't get me wrong, Westopher. I 100% agree with you that we can't revoke his citizenship if it has already been granted. At that point, this 19 year old kid becomes someone our regular justice system would have to deal with.

What is not clear to me is that at the time of his arrest, he has obviously not gone through with the citizenship ceremony yet. Does that still make him fair game for denial of citizenship application? or is the ceremony a mere formality at that point? I am not a legal expert, so I do not have an answer to this question. But if he still qualifies to have his citizenship application denied at that point, I would like to see we follow the precedence of the Indian fellow involved in the Irene Thorpe case and follow through with a similar legal proceeding. If the ceremony is a mere formality, then as I said above, our justice system would just have to deal with him like every other Canadian citizen.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #188
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Failed 89 Times in 17 Posts
isn't Bill C-24 still in effect?

if so:

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Minister can revoke your citizenship, if it is a routine case.

The Federal Court decides whether to revoke your citizenship, if it is a complex case (e.g. war crimes, crimes against humanity, security, other human or international rights violations, and organized criminality).

so, if convicted he still may lose his newly-acquired citizenship (if someone makes a big stink about it I suppose).
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #189
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
would like to see we follow the precedence of the Indian fellow involved in the Irene Thorpe case and follow through with a similar legal proceeding.
There's no precedence there, that guy wasn't a Canadian citizen.

The only thing that would matter for a non citizen is if they are sentenced to 6 months or more. it doesn't matter if it was street racing or drug dealing.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #190

The Trudeau government has repealed the changes proposed by Bill C-24. I dunno what exactly that means in legalese, but I think the Citizenship / Immigration minister can't revoke somebody's citizenship -- it would need to go through a federal court, and the bar for citizenship revocation is probably much higher there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?NR View Post
isn't Bill C-24 still in effect?

if so:

The Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) Minister can revoke your citizenship, if it is a routine case.

The Federal Court decides whether to revoke your citizenship, if it is a complex case (e.g. war crimes, crimes against humanity, security, other human or international rights violations, and organized criminality).

so, if convicted he still may lose his newly-acquired citizenship (if someone makes a big stink about it I suppose).
Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #191
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
i'm no lawyer but C24 was intended for those committing treason/terrorism...not for motor vehicle act offenses/negligence involving harm

quick someone post his facebook link
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:41 PM   #192
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 7 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
People in China never had Playstations and Gran turismo LOL Only until recently did they allow the sales of these consoles in store.
Not really, they got PS3 xbox in grey market as soon as it starts to sell in Japan
conandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #193
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 7 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
Yeah in Japan, they take driving very seriously.

You must go to driving school and they have this designated practice track. They won't just take you on the road until you pass all the skills test.
Before you are even allowed to practice on the road, you must prove your examiner that you can do parallel parking, stop & go safely, watch for hazards, how to change lane safely, have full control of the vehicle and all that stuff. After taking driving theory course and passing written test, you can finally go on the road with your instructor.
Amazingly, China has a very similar training process and license system as Japan. You cannot get license by driving you own car. You are only allowed to drive the test car to do your driving test. Not long ago, all the test cars were manual stick. You have to participate the designated program and driving school, at least 3 months to learn drive, park, hill start, mountain roads etc. Upon on graduation, you will have a chance to take written test, track test on designated track, and finally a road test.

Training track test will have the electronic sensors to detect the mistakes. After you pass the designated test on the track, then you can proceed to the road test.
In reality, China is also kinda strict on enforcing traffic laws. They actually have a huge amount of cameras and violation sensors almost in every intersection around the city. If you drive on a solid line, you get ticket notification right away sent to your cellphone, usually come with 1-3 penalty points as well.

I think the problem is more about driving culture rather than the actual training process. If you go to China, you will find everybody driving like dumbass. Motorcyclists are the craziest.

Last edited by conandoyle; 03-30-2016 at 11:32 PM.
conandoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 AM   #194
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
^^^ From living in Richmond my whole life, I don't believe a word you say.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:16 AM   #195
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
the above mentioned licensing process is actually all true, traffic cameras at almost every major intersection pointing at individual lanes, they're able to spot u from playing on the cell phones to not wearing a seat belt. then again, with china, u can pay ur way out of everything, including obtaining a drivers license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #196
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conandoyle View Post
This video is pretty amazing, that blue car uses its turn signals pretty much all the time.
When it flips over, I noticed that the hazard lights are on. It's like the first thing going through the driver's mind when they flip over is "oh shit, better hit them hazard lights".
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 AM   #197
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
OT, in China, white people are the only kind people there.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #198
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASA View Post
This video is pretty amazing, that blue car uses its turn signals pretty much all the time.
When it flips over, I noticed that the hazard lights are on. It's like the first thing going through the driver's mind when they flip over is "oh shit, better hit them hazard lights".
most car manufacturers have the hazard lights programmed to come on automatically with airbag deployment/crash sensor.

eg. bmw

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...e=crash_sensor
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #199
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 69 Posts
Didn't they originally say 180km/h? Now they bumped it up to 250km/h which is still believable esp in a 507 but on marine drive it's bumpy af would take some balls to hold the gas for that long. Exaggeration for the news?

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2016, 02:13 PM   #200
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
In the article I'm pretty sure they said that HE told investigators that's how fast he was going. And with modern cars most of them have a black box that records the last ~10 seconds before a crash with info of speed, if brakes were applied, you know, standard OBD2 stuff