REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 06-24-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
Banks for debit and credit cards for travel

any recommendations for the best bank to open an account with to minimize ATM fees etc while travelling? (Central and South America)

I've heard there's a TD account ($5000 min) where you don't get charged (or as much) for ATM fees
Advertisement
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
You're referring to their All Inclusive account.
TD All-Inclusive Banking Plan | TD Canada Trust

Might end up costing less for ATMs. Just make sure you read the fine print as there will likely be fees.

7TD network fees waived, however, other financial institutions may charge fees for use of their ATMs. As well, certain states permit surcharging of international customers at independent ATMs. Other financial institution and surcharge fees will display electronically for the customer to accept before completing the transaction.

8For foreign currency withdrawals performed at non TD ATMs outside of Canada, the exchange rate includes an amount equal to 2.5% of the converted amount.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 929 Times in 340 Posts
Maybe coz I don't buy much stuff when traveling but I usually use cash (IE gifts, dinners, eat outs etc etc). Since most of my expensive (airflight tickets, train tickets, hotels etc etct) are all book beforehand.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,431 Times in 486 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Maybe coz I don't buy much stuff when traveling but I usually use cash (IE gifts, dinners, eat outs etc etc). Since most of my expensive (airflight tickets, train tickets, hotels etc etct) are all book beforehand.
i think op travels for extended periods of time so id doubt he'd want to carry that much cash with him on the way down n just around town.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

yes exactly....we start off with a good chunk of cash and book most hostels etc online with credit cards but obviously still need to be able to pull more cash as we go

last time we just did cash advances off credit cards at the atms then went back to the hostel and paid it off right away so there was no interest charges.....gets a bit tricky because if you have charged a bunch of other things to the card you have to pay off the WHOLE balance not just the cash advance so you don't pay the interest....stupid i know
Old 06-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,704 Times in 1,356 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
BMO has their Premium Plan account which gives you 5 free Int'l ATM transactions a month for a 5k min balance.

Worked well when I was travelling around the world for a year and just took out cash once a week. Never got dinged for fees other than the ones the local bank charged.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

ok thanks.

my wife used to work at BMO and her aunt is a branch manager, i'll see what she can do for us