REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Failed 55 Times in 32 Posts
Gardening - Lawn Care

My grass is patchy with bald and yellow spots. My family is wondering if it's worth it to order those rolls of grass and lay it on and let it re-grow.

We were quoted ~$1300 for the front two patches of grass I don't remember if that was the correct amount.

Anyone know if the new "grass rolls" will last longer or is it more worth it to try to save the grass I have now? It's really uneven and bumpy, with the bald spots and yellow spots.

Thanks RS Gardening Team
Advertisement
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 59 Times in 28 Posts
pics would help.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #3
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,019 Times in 783 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
From experience, a decent lawn takes a ton of work. If you're not committed to the upkeep, it might not even be worthwhile to start afresh. Different story entirely however if you just hire someone for your lawn maintenance. Still need to water or yourself though!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 84 Times in 12 Posts
Skip the rolls of grass. To level it out you could get a truck load of soil and spread it so the ground is more even and then top coat it with grass seed or that Scott's ez seed stuff (~150$ total). Watering in the morning and evenings is a must. I've found that grass rolls dont take very easily in this type of heat.
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
what about dealing with moss? my lawn is north facing so only in the summer does it get enough sun light, else it would be pretty damp all the time thus the moss growth. i swear right now the moss is an inch or more thick and its the entire lawn. whats the most cost effective way to kill it once and for all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,063 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 120 Times in 52 Posts
whats the size of the two patches for 1300.
zilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 84 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
what about dealing with moss? my lawn is north facing so only in the summer does it get enough sun light, else it would be pretty damp all the time thus the moss growth. i swear right now the moss is an inch or more thick and its the entire lawn. whats the most cost effective way to kill it once and for all?
Rent a power rake and go to town on your lawn
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #8
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
http://www.revscene.net/forums/69867...pots-lawn.html
^^I did a write up about growing my lawn last fall.^
Long story short, build minimum 3 inch layer of soil (65% sand/35% compost. Sand will help the water drainage/moss issue) and a bag of seed.
Use a long 2x4, get down on your hands and knees and use the 2x4 like a squeegee to level the soil.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #9
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
Im a Landscaper.

You can't just lay new sod on top of old dead lawn. You'll have to cut/dig out the dead stuff and put in new QUALITY top soil, at least 3" as mentioned above. By the time you go patching a bunch of your lawn, you're likely better off to tear it out and redo it. I usually just use a landscape rake, but you can screet it with a 1x4 piece of wood too.

I dont know your prices down there but turf should cost you somewhere around $0.40 per square foot. Most rolls are going to be 9sq-ft. you order it by the square footage, not by the number of rolls you want. Top soil is probably $40 per cubic yard. 1 cubic yard covers a little more than 100sq-ft (10'x10') at 3" depth. If you have good soil already, you can stretch that to 200sq-ft at 1.5" depth. The turf will add 1" to your base.

To deal with moss, Id recommend a hard dethatch/power raking in the spring, and then hit the lawn with Ferrous Sulphate (Iron Sulphate) once it starts to grow back. And then top dress with a sandy mix and seed the bare spots immediately to 'fill in' the lawn before weeds take over.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 28 Times in 9 Posts
Just looking around, most houses have dead grass at this point due to the heat wave and water restrictions. Wonder if the grass can be saved? Otherwise, it will be very profitable times for gardeners/landscapers.
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:42 AM   #11
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Just looking around, most houses have dead grass at this point due to the heat wave and water restrictions. Wonder if the grass can be saved? Otherwise, it will be very profitable times for gardeners/landscapers.
It doesnt die, goes dormant. Much of it will come back on its own in the fall when the raining season hits us. And through some fertilizer down when it does
Old 07-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Oh damn. I was just about to ask you the same thing?!?!!!!

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,652 Times in 569 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Luck View Post
It doesnt die, goes dormant. Much of it will come back on its own in the fall when the raining season hits us. And through some fertilizer down when it does
Huge portions of my lawn died in the 2015 drought. The parts that survived were under the shade of a tree.

I know a lot of people value a beautiful lawn, but given the current trend of climate change and metro vancouver water rationing it won't be sustainable for much longer. I now just water my lawn enough that it isn't dead by the time fall comes around.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Keeping a nice lawn is almost a full time job in itself

2.5 years ago we ripped out approx 1700sq ft of shit grass and roots etc top dressed the whole thing with a sand/soil mix about 4-6” we paid a landscaper to do it at the time

The front lawn survived the winter however my neighbor destroyed the small side yard plot which was approx 400sq ft. I ordered sod delivered to replace it, approx 600 sq far worth and I think it was only like $220 from that sod farm in abbotsford delivered. But yea the prep is everything

Now every year since I’ve top dressed with soil, fertilized constantly and over seeded and I still struggle to keep it green and clean. I’ve skimped on it a bit this year because of other projects but it’s still looking pretty good
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #15
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Just paint the lawn green!

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 AM   #16
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually, business automation begins with massive, time-consuming routine operations, with processes that most affect the company's income and profits, or with the most problematic areas. Firstly, it is possible to automate managemart tasks that are very difficult or impossible to do manually — calculate retail sales volume, analyze goods flow, plan cash flows, plan and calculate working time, the shop cost etc.
uiiks is offline   Reply With Quote