REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Failed 4,505 Times in 971 Posts
zipper merging

Steve Wallace: Zipper merging a basic, key driving principle

Steve Wallace: Zipper merging a basic, key driving principle

Times Colonist
August 14, 2015 06:00 AM

This lineup of traffic is twice as long as it needs to be because most drivers were choosing to extend the line instead of using both lanes, then "zipper" merging at the bottleneck.

My merging memo has made its way to the top of the heap of column priority, because of the numerous requests for further clarification and emphasis on the topic by loyal readers.

Let me start by saying that many British Columbians (the type better known as “Backward Columbians”) simply can’t merge properly. It is a relatively simple task that eludes many drivers in our province. Everywhere else in the civilized world, there is an acceptance of the principle of “zipper” merging. It means drivers proceed to the source of the merge, perhaps a construction speed zone, where vehicles travelling at low speed converge and form one lane. At that point, they should alternate the order of moving forward in the path of travel. This allows for two or more shorter lines of halted traffic, instead of one long line, stretching halfway across the countryside, causing gridlock for cross traffic having to negotiate such intersection paralysis.

For some ridiculous reason, those drivers who go immediately to the source of the merge and appear to be merging late are seen to be cheaters. Well, I have news for all those misguided holders of such a belief: You are wrong. Other countries make it mandatory to zipper merge, and post well-thought-out traffic signs to that effect. Only in Canada do we seem to resent those who merge efficiently and according to accepted international convention and courtesy. Instead of boiling over with impending road rage with these drivers merging at source, let them in and be thankful for their efficiency.

Many drivers actually stop at the end of a well-defined and ample-distance merge lane. These lanes are meant to allow enough space and time for a driver to accelerate to a speed that matches traffic and do a smooth, seamless entry to the freeway or highway. Stopping unnecessarily in the merge lane is foolish, dangerous and invites a rear-end collision. It should be an offence. Sadly, it is not enforced as a violation of “undue care and attention” to the driving task.

High-speed merging should be done efficiently by looking at the spaces between vehicles, not at the vehicles themselves. The spaces are bigger than the vehicles. They are moving at the speed of travel. You can’t hit a space and you certainly can’t kill one. Equalling the speed of the space is the best way to execute a merge. By doing the merge in this way, fellow drivers will not be looking to “execute” the malfunctioning merger all too prevalent on our roads.

(Thankfully, B.C. road tests include the merging task as a vital component to acquire and maintain a full-privilege unrestricted driver’s licence.)

When drivers see a potential developing conflict with another driver entering the freeway at a clearly marked merge area, they are legally obligated to accommodate merging traffic. It is not a yield sign: It is a merge sign, and there is a duty to make way for entering traffic. Freeway drivers should move left to allow entry of merging vehicles on multiple-lane roads. They should also maintain a constant speed to give surety and consistency of speed to those entering the single-lane, one-direction type of highway. It is much easier for a merging driver to judge a constant speed of travel configuration.

When traffic is congested, zipper merge. When traffic is flowing naturally, fill the available space and merge seamlessly.

Thanks to Glenys, Ken, Jason and Graham for the gentle prodding, bordering on mild peer pressure, to address this subject once again.

Feedback is always welcome and appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Steve Wallace is the owner of Wallace Driving School on Vancouver Island. He is a former vice-president of the Driving Schools Association of the Americas, a registered B.C. teacher and a University of Manitoba graduate. Email him at stevedwallace@shaw.ca
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:01 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Richmond can't merge properly*
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
Failed 59 Times in 40 Posts
Richmond? More like the majority of drivers in Vancouver..
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 59 Times in 24 Posts
It's more like Canada can't drive.
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Our drivers education really only covers the basics. It needs to cover most of the things that are left up to courtesy and common sense, because the average dumb fuck has neither.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
For some ridiculous reason, those drivers who go immediately to the source of the merge and appear to be merging late are seen to be cheaters. Well, I have news for all those misguided holders of such a belief: You are wrong. Other countries make it mandatory to zipper merge, and post well-thought-out traffic signs to that effect. Only in Canada do we seem to resent those who merge efficiently and according to accepted international convention and courtesy. Instead of boiling over with impending road rage with these drivers merging at source, let them in and be thankful for their efficiency.
In moving traffic sure, but in heavy, barely moving traffic the drivers who ignore spaces being left for them and rush to the end of the merge lane and either stop (requiring traffic to stop to let them in) or force their way in are assholes who should be shamed.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 59 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
In moving traffic sure, but in heavy, barely moving traffic the drivers who ignore spaces being left for them and rush to the end of the merge lane and either stop (requiring traffic to stop to let them in) or force their way in are assholes who should be shamed.
I think using the full lane to merge is good practice, it reduces lineup, which basically is what the article is referring to.

Look at the white van and the truck, they are the reason why there's traffic jams. Refusing to let people in, thereby making the backup of cars being forced to stay further behind in 1 lane. I get what you mean by when someone forces their way in, it makes you feel like you got cut off, but in reality, by not letting them in, you contribute to the problem of having more congestion.

Some food for thought: Why do the general public hate taxi drivers? because they hate being behind them. I for one, who worked as a delivery driver for a long time, understand why taxi drivers drive the way they do, and quite frankly, I never had much of an issue with them. It's the selfish ones who think they are being taken advantage of that causes traffic jams
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
Look at the white van and the truck, they are the reason why there's traffic jams. Refusing to let people in, thereby making the backup of cars being forced to stay further behind in 1 lane. I get what you mean by when someone forces their way in, it makes you feel like you got cut off, but in reality, by not letting them in, you contribute to the problem of having more congestion.
You're thinking of a different situation than I am. I'll let anyone merge who is trying to do so before the end of the merge (when the lane physically ends). The people who I hate are the queef sniffing douchecanoes that come roaring up the ending lane without even trying to merge and ignoring all the spaces being left for them, then come to a stop right at the very last foot and try to force their way in. Now traffic that is flowing (albeit slowly) has to stop to let his or her royal highness in, causing everyone else to stop and adding to the congestion. These are the idiots that make traffic worse, ruining any help that proper merging has done to alleviate it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote