REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Advice Buying used from a dealership

Looking to pickup a pre-owned from a dealership, not the shady kingsway ones lol. Just wondering what experiences have u guys had in terms of negotiating pricing, what sort of hidden documentation fees, what can u haggle for extras, etc. What other pros and cons between buying private and dealership? TIA!
Advertisement
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,657 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I know people where the dealership has given them $4k - $5k for their trade in, only to turn around and post that car up for sale at $9k - 10k. So for a car in that price range, you know how much mark up the dealership has. A lot of times, new car dealerships can make more money on a per vehicle basis out of their used department than their new cars department.

Bear in mind though, generally speaking, a legit dealership would want at least $1.5k's worth of profit from their used sales (if not $2k+, and obviously the more the better), and they would not deal with you if you are driving too hard a bargain. The only exception is, if you know the car has been sitting on their lot for a long time and still hasn't moved (ie. been sold), they would be willing to offer more incentive to get rid of the car -- sometimes even a break even price or at a small loss.

For used cars, I think they only charge a doc fee (and taxes, obviously) and no more. At the end of the day though, I'd just go in and negotiate on an out-the-door price.

By buying from a legitimate dealership, you know the car would not be in too shxtty a condition, and you should definitely be able to ask them for a thorough vehicle inspection report, as well as a vehicle history report (ie. Carproof BC). That'll take a bit of due dilligence work off your shoulders.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
I remember when I bought a car from Freeway Mazda back in 2008, the car was a bit higher in price than my budget, and I told the salesman that all-in, after taxes, this was my budget. They managed to pretty much make it work by knocking about $1,000 off the car. I'm sure they still made a good return on it though.

It was a good experience though because they already had the Carfax done, a full vehicle inspection, etc. They don't really gain anything by holding certain information back. I don't know if all dealerships are like that though. Didn't really have to worry about getting ripped off from that side of things. You pay a bit more, but you know what you are getting compared to a Kingsway or Whalley dealer or private seller. In the long run, that was worth it to me.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,038 Times in 710 Posts
Failed 55 Times in 32 Posts
When buying a used car, you can obviously bargain for no doc fee. After that they will try to slip in a few things like "Freight and PDI" which is not required for a used car.

Just a small thing to watch for. Happened to a friend.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,763 Times in 2,315 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
I remember when I bought a car from Freeway Mazda back in 2008, the car was a bit higher in price than my budget, and I told the salesman that all-in, after taxes, this was my budget. They managed to pretty much make it work by knocking about $1,000 off the car. I'm sure they still made a good return on it though.

It was a good experience though because they already had the Carfax done, a full vehicle inspection, etc. They don't really gain anything by holding certain information back. I don't know if all dealerships are like that though. Didn't really have to worry about getting ripped off from that side of things. You pay a bit more, but you know what you are getting compared to a Kingsway or Whalley dealer or private seller. In the long run, that was worth it to me.
This is a good way of bargaining. Give them a flat number with all the fees in and tell them to make it work.

That gives them multiple ways of reducing the costs in order to hit the number, and in the end it means you won't end up going over your budget on the car.

Just remember if they can't make it work, walk away. They will call you if they can make it work a few days later, otherwise just move onto the next one.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 16 Times in 13 Posts
For the cost of the car, go to Canadian black book (go to Toyota.ca and click appraise trade-in). This will give you a pretty good approximation of what trade-in value they got the car at.

Carproof is a must. I've had friends lied to at dealership ("no accidents") only to find the frame damage later.

In terms of inspections, you MUST take it to an independent shop. I would walk away if they don't let you do it. They will probably require some sort of deposit, but it's worth it.

I almost bought a $35K late model used car from a reputable (i.e. not kingsway) dealer. When my mechanic inspected it, he found a chewed up wiring harness, insulation, and he found the dead rat too.

Having said that, I don't trust any craigslist seller either, but I'm just saying don't trust dealerships any more or less.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Pros: dealerships are generally more honest, having a brick-and-mortar store in the age of online reviews means they probably won't bullshit you into buying a lemon when their reputation as a dealer (especially if it's a larger/well-known place) is at stake. Not to mention you generally get a full CarProof report, full vehicle inspection done by licensed techs, and optional warranty is available to you. Cars will often be detailed and cleaned, and service histories are generally available for "same-make" vehicles (i.e., buying a used BMW at a pre-owned BMW dealer).

Cons: you will pay more for the car and don't have the "haggling advantage" that CL offers you (i.e., seller needs cash ASAP, no room to store car, baby on the way, etc.). Not to mention you can't screw around on the declared value and may have to pay doc fees and other such fees. But if you're patient and smart you can usually haggle those off.

Personally, when I finish school and buy a nicer/newer car I will 95% go to a dealership because I'm pretty tired of dealing with people on Craigslist. But if you have the patience and car knowledge (or are friends with a licensed tech!) then CL is probably the best bet if you don't mind spending a little more time/effort
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
You guys listing a CarProof from a dealer as a plus know that they only cost $75 and take about a minute on your part right? Just do a CarProof yourself and take it to your preferred shop for an inspection and avoid the bs of a dealership.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:27 AM   #9

Definitely some good input, Thanks for all the great advice guys! The car is at BJ BMW so Im not worried too much regarding the car having issues and what not, since that is one of the biggest dealerships around. Ill bring my friend whos a mechanic just to be safe tho.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 41 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by und3f3at3d View Post
BJ BMW
PM tofu1413
He will hook you up at right price

^Best Advice
Old 10-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
You guys listing a CarProof from a dealer as a plus know that they only cost $75 and take about a minute on your part right? Just do a CarProof yourself and take it to your preferred shop for an inspection and avoid the bs of a dealership.
I think dealers providing carproofs are a plus because there were times where I would've went to view a car but because the carproof was available, I checked it out only to find something on there that I didn't like. Saved me a ton of time as that dealership was almost an hour drive away.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender Unit View Post
PM tofu1413
He will hook you up at right price

^Best Advice
Thanks will definitely contact him
Old 10-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #13
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetazeta View Post
I think dealers providing carproofs are a plus because there were times where I would've went to view a car but because the carproof was available, I checked it out only to find something on there that I didn't like. Saved me a ton of time as that dealership was almost an hour drive away.
That's why you get the VIN before you would go check it out and run it yourself. First I do the free ICBC check to see if it's a rebuilt, then shell out the $75 for the CarProof, and if that looks good I go check it out. Unless the car is close by checking it out before getting the history is a waste of time IMO.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
For the cost of the car, go to Canadian black book (go to Toyota.ca and click appraise trade-in). This will give you a pretty good approximation of what trade-in value they got the car at.
I'm not sure if I just don't know how to internet, but when I used the site, I entered my car, entered the kms, then it asked me which Toyota i'm interested in, and asked me to fill out my information so someone could get in contact... never gave me a value..

edit: I was able to find the value directly on CBB site though: http://www.canadianblackbook.com
Old 10-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,578 Times in 2,657 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Just go directly to this instead:

Black Book Car Values, Find your Used Car Trade-In Value & Your New Car?s Future Value using the Black Book Value Tools. What?s your car worth?

You can enter "Undecided" when they ask you which vehicle you are considering.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
Failed 203 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That's why you get the VIN before you would go check it out and run it yourself. First I do the free ICBC check to see if it's a rebuilt, then shell out the $75 for the CarProof, and if that looks good I go check it out. Unless the car is close by checking it out before getting the history is a waste of time IMO.
i disagree

often times the real thing is in way shittier condition than what the ad/seller tells you, why would you spend $75 on something you haven't even seen in person yet
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote