REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-12-2023, 12:33 PM   #2776
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd have to say the XC40 (recharge, I assume?) is an inferior EV to the TM3. But hey, whatever floats their boat, right?
The in-laws are in their mid 60's. They play the radio still and could care less or know how to use 90% of the on-screen features. I laugh when they complain it is hard to use to autopilot feature when it literally is two push of the gear lever.

It might be inferior on the range and battery tech, but most people I know do not drive more than 150 km a day.
Advertisement
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:20 PM   #2777
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
What's motivating them to make the switch from the Model 3 to the XC40?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I'd have to say the XC40 (recharge, I assume?) is an inferior EV to the TM3. But hey, whatever floats their boat, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
The in-laws are in their mid 60's. They play the radio still and could care less or know how to use 90% of the on-screen features. I laugh when they complain it is hard to use to autopilot feature when it literally is two push of the gear lever.

It might be inferior on the range and battery tech, but most people I know do not drive more than 150 km a day.
Sounds like my parents' logic when they decided to move from a MY to a Lexus RZ. All of Tesla's benefits - being tech forward, access to supercharging - meant nothing to them since all they care about is driving around the city, being able to call, and having physical controls to adjust the climate. All of the RZ's downsides (low range, slow fast-charging) didn't matter to them either as a result.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 02:50 PM   #2778
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
anyone that thinks Tesla's are high end or even luxury cars are fooling themselves.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 04:09 PM   #2779
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
anyone that thinks Tesla's are high end or even luxury cars are fooling themselves.
Family has owned a bunch of luxury cars. I don't know what my dad's Model X is missing. I think it's a modern take on luxury. It's like having a futuristic house that can draw a bath for you at your desired temp via voice commands vs having an older house where your servant draws the bath for you and uses a thermometer to check temp.

Chat GTP versions.

My family has been fortunate enough to possess an impressive collection of luxury cars over the years. Among them, my father's Model X stands out as a remarkable masterpiece. It embodies a modern interpretation of opulence, offering a unique blend of cutting-edge technology and elegance. It's akin to residing in a futuristic residence that effortlessly fulfills your desires with voice-activated precision, such as drawing a bath at your preferred temperature. This contrasts with the more traditional scenario of an older house where a servant manually prepares your bath, relying on a thermometer to ensure the water's warmth.

second version

My family has been lucky enough to own a bunch of fancy cars, including my dad's awesome Model X. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what this car is missing because it's already a modern take on luxury. It's like living in a super cool, futuristic house where you can just tell it to draw a bath for you at the perfect temperature, instead of having an old-school servant who uses a thermometer to get it right.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:42 PM   #2780
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
I feel for teslas it’s the luxury of convenience and not filling up.

Opulence? Nah. No where near that on craftsmanship factor or exclusivity.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2023, 03:53 AM   #2781
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
What I like about Tesla is ota updates, new features and improvements come automatically. No other manufactures does this. And what you have to drive your car in for service to update?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2023, 05:35 AM   #2782
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
i should add i've never been in a model x or the plaid versions but the ones i have seen, many 3's and a few y's, they're just so plain. sure the tech might be there but zero "feel" of any sort of decent fit and finish. and yes i know that's not he point of the model 3 but still
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:25 AM   #2783
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
If any maker made an retro interior EV with old school buttons everywhere and analog dials and display, gear shifter in the middle, it would really appeal to the retired mid to late boomer demographic. Maybe even a faux reservoir with oil where the old man can go out, slide underneath the car, and pretend to change the oil ... .
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:43 AM   #2784
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
Quote:
i should add i've never been in a model x or the plaid versions but the ones i have seen, many 3's and a few y's, they're just so plain. sure the tech might be there but zero "feel" of any sort of decent fit and finish. and yes i know that's not he point of the model 3 but still
the "luxury" part of those cars are the raw acceleration, tech/ gadget / gimmicks that come with those cars and the insane sticker prices.

Folks nowadays just think expensive automatically means luxury. Nope. There's more than just price.

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2023, 08:48 AM   #2785
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
I bought a Chinese RWD Model Y and the quality is night and day compared to an American built Model Y. Even the X has awful quality for the price.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:51 AM   #2786
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Night and day in which direction?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 10:57 AM   #2787
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Night and day in which direction?
Im guessing for the better as I also have a Model Y RWD from Shanghai. Suspension and ride quality is better than the pervious Y's I've tested. The laminated rear glass really helps with the cabin noise.

That said, I do notice a clicking sound at the rear seat/subframe area from time to time. Apparently there's cases where they had to replace the subframe to fix the issue
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:53 PM   #2788
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Saying Tesla's aren't luxury cars but only using the model 3/y as your point of comparison is like saying that Lexus/Toyota don't make luxury cars after only being in a Camry.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:33 PM   #2789

You also have to think about this though, a model 3 is like what? $50k after rebate. What else can you get that has that level of tech from traditional manufactures? A Prius is like $55k, isn't a civic $50k now? It's embarrassing what you get from traditional manufactures for the price and there's still no inventory. It just shows how far behind they are.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2023, 09:06 PM   #2790
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
I have both X and 3, the way I see them, coming from BMW/Acura/Infiniti/Lexus/Porsche throughout the years before going Tesla, they are fine.

I don't know what are your baselines. The 3/Y are kinda mid-range cars. Their interior are basically in line with 3-series/C-class unless you go full custom (read $$$$$) leather options on those cars.

Model X is about the same as X5/RX/GLEs... The main difference I see is that there are no buttons. Tesla manages everything from a screen. And after you get used to that philosophy, it's almost shocking to have so many buttons. I was in my friend's GLS other day. OMG... talking about button galore. I couldn't get why there's a necessity for a button/knob for everything. Maybe A/C control... I give you that. But it's ridiculous that every little thing in the car has a dedicated button. That's not luxury. My dad had a Bentley Mulsanne and it's got nowhere near the amount of buttons on that GLS. More buttons =/= luxury.

I know many complain that Tesla got no buttons. But TBH, after 4yr+ with Tesla, I find everything on screen just fine. I already do that with my iPad/iPhones... etc. I find them just fine on my car and I don't miss buttons one bit. Tesla's menu is fully customizable. One can pretty much edit the home screen as they see fit. I have mine dialed in a way I never spend more than 2 presses on anything I'd need 99.999% of the time. For the missing 0.001%, I used voice command if they are not on the steering wheel control.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:20 AM   #2791
RS controls my life!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
Falcon door is cool, but end of the day it's a complex gimmick that's gonna cost $$$ out of warranty. Wonder if the Model X would've been more popular with traditional doors.

They should've killed the cybertruck and made a minivan.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 07:37 AM   #2792
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
I really dislike most of teslas designs. The only one that looks good is the model S. everything else looks too bulbous.

The 3 and the Y looks like you ran into a wall nose first
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2023, 07:53 AM   #2793
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts
Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I really dislike most of teslas designs. The only one that looks good is the model S. everything else looks too bulbous.

The 3 and the Y looks like you ran into a wall nose first

That’s what my dad thought too. He couldn’t come to liking a 3/Y at least yet. So he recently bought an S and is happy with it. Now he’s doing green things for the earth….[emoji2359][emoji23]

Old 07-14-2023, 07:57 AM   #2794

I was just in Toronto, and they have way less ev than us, there's barely any evs. I wonder if it's a grant thing. However their gas is only like $1.5, everyone drives small commuter cars and SUVs, even in dt there's barely any nice cars that we see here. Everyone driving is like a Uber driver.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #2795
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
That's kinda what I noticed too, as long as you drive past Surrey ... far less bulbous EV's. YVR seems like the poster child for Elon Musk.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #2796
Performance Moderator

Why does Tesla not have a SUV model at all? Seems like they bet more on crossovers taking over the segment and that hasn't exactly happened.
Old 07-14-2023, 08:41 AM   #2797
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
I feel for teslas it’s the luxury of convenience and not filling up.
Buys teslas for the luxury of not filling up.

Spends their evening lining up a dozen-plus deep at the superchargers at Richmond center.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:35 AM   #2798
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I was just in Toronto, and they have way less ev than us, there's barely any evs. I wonder if it's a grant thing. However their gas is only like $1.5, everyone drives small commuter cars and SUVs, even in dt there's barely any nice cars that we see here. Everyone driving is like a Uber driver.
It is firstly a provincial grant/rebate thing, and secondly an allocation issue, although allocation is very much driven by consumer demand. In the EV social media groups that I subscribe to, there is no shortage of non-BC / non-QC people expressing a desire to buy EVs, but they recurringly cite the aforementioned 2 reasons for being unable to buy EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why does Tesla not have a SUV model at all? Seems like they bet more on crossovers taking over the segment and that hasn't exactly happened.
For those who do not go off-roading, crossovers make so much more sense than SUVs, esp when it comes to ingress / egress. And let's not forget, at the moment, Tesla basically only has 2 platforms -- S/X and 3/Y. It takes a tremendous amount of $$$ to develop a new platform, and there is still enough demand as well as profitability in the 3/Y to keep ramping up production numbers.

We'll see how the Cybertruck do -- when it eventually comes into production. Maybe it'll spawn an SUV afterwards.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:53 AM   #2799
Performance Moderator

Most SUV's nowadays are just car platforms... they already have AWD... I don't think it would take much to slap a body on an existing platform that's slightly jacked up. It doesn't need to be a legimate off-roader, just that bodystyle and a bit of extra clearance. How many SUV's in the GVRD go off-road? Almost none is my guess.

But what do I know hahaha
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2023, 10:52 AM   #2800
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,248 Times in 614 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents