REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #501
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Just wanted to share my experience this past Sunday with my 2018 Leaf.
The car has the Nissan passive air-cooled 40 kwh battery pack.
Left Burnaby with a full charge. Made it to Hope with 20% battery left and the battery temps at 3/4. This was all highway driving at 10 km/h over the speed limit on the cruise control and AC on.
$5 of charge time at a BC Hydro DC fast charger and the battery was just before the first red mark and showing 50% battery.
Hopped on the highway with the intentions of stopping in Chilliwack for some more DC fast charge. Got to Chilliwack and got in about 15 mins of fast charge but it was too hot and we decided to head back to the highway and try to hit Coquitlam Superstore for a quick top up charge before heading home.
We were approximately 65 kms from the Coquitlam superstore with 62 kms of range left so we stopped in Abbotsford for a quick top up. The battery was just at red and charging at 16 kwh.
After another $6 of charge time, the battery was now in the red but we had enough range to make it home.
Getting on the highway, everything was fine till we passed Langley and into Surrey, the highway speeds pushed the battery temps deep into the red and I got the high temp warning screen and the power to the car was deeply reduced. I could go highway speeds but there was no acceleration. I limped it all the way home with only 7% battery and 19 km of range.

Overall, I still love my Leaf. Makes a great city car. I think if we had the plus with the 62 kwh battery, we could have saved 1 or 2 of the charging pit stops. But definitely in the heat, the passive air cooling isn't enough cooling on the batteries.

Did anyone go on a road trip in the Tesla during this heat wave. Would be interesting to see how people's Tesla's faired in the heat and high speed charging.
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2021, 12:28 PM   #502
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Just got a call from a GM dealer. They are now taking reservations for the Hummer EV. It's $500 and they will have 2 of each for a total of 4. Deposit is 100% refundable.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #503
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just had a ride in a coworkers 2016 Golf E today. Nice that and it looks and drives like a car. 170kms of range or so. Nice choice for someone who doesn’t need a lot of range.
Was definitely quick with that instant torque.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:47 PM   #504
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
I'm only here to say... an electric car would have been great to just sit in the garage and blast AC over the past heat wave. No combustion = no carbon monoxide poisoning.

That is all. Back to my 90s shitbox
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:06 PM   #505
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 12 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^ where did you sell your old car? Trade or back to Tesla? Used model 3 prices are more expensive than new
Right?? I was at looking at a franchise dealer lot, and I saw a row of Model 3's that were slightly used selling for around MSRP. Makes me wonder if there is a loophole that allows people to get the EV rebates but still sell/trade in the cars for profit
jaaagman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:33 PM   #506
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
Anyone have experience with the new Elantra Hybrid?
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:47 PM   #507
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Just wanted to share my experience this past Sunday with my 2018 Leaf.
The car has the Nissan passive air-cooled 40 kwh battery pack.
Left Burnaby with a full charge. Made it to Hope with 20% battery left and the battery temps at 3/4. This was all highway driving at 10 km/h over the speed limit on the cruise control and AC on.
$5 of charge time at a BC Hydro DC fast charger and the battery was just before the first red mark and showing 50% battery.
Hopped on the highway with the intentions of stopping in Chilliwack for some more DC fast charge. Got to Chilliwack and got in about 15 mins of fast charge but it was too hot and we decided to head back to the highway and try to hit Coquitlam Superstore for a quick top up charge before heading home.
We were approximately 65 kms from the Coquitlam superstore with 62 kms of range left so we stopped in Abbotsford for a quick top up. The battery was just at red and charging at 16 kwh.
After another $6 of charge time, the battery was now in the red but we had enough range to make it home.
Getting on the highway, everything was fine till we passed Langley and into Surrey, the highway speeds pushed the battery temps deep into the red and I got the high temp warning screen and the power to the car was deeply reduced. I could go highway speeds but there was no acceleration. I limped it all the way home with only 7% battery and 19 km of range.

Overall, I still love my Leaf. Makes a great city car. I think if we had the plus with the 62 kwh battery, we could have saved 1 or 2 of the charging pit stops. But definitely in the heat, the passive air cooling isn't enough cooling on the batteries.

Did anyone go on a road trip in the Tesla during this heat wave. Would be interesting to see how people's Tesla's faired in the heat and high speed charging.
Lol..no offense but this sounds like a nightmare.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:50 PM   #508
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 60 Posts
Being able to pre-cool my car from 39 degrees to 21 before getting in was definitely nice
Old 07-01-2021, 08:15 AM   #509
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
we've all forgotten to charge our phones every now and then...what happens when you start work commute under 30% and there's no charger near work? you can make it but after work gotta look for a charger and grab dinner while waiting on it?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:35 AM   #510
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I thought most (all?) EVs have companion mobile phone apps that would remind you of your charge levels? Given how frequent we go to our phones, the chances of not having enough charge in the car because you forgot to charge should be pretty low?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #511
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,162 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
EV owners told to send in odometer readings for road tax.

https://thedriven.io/2021/06/30/vict...-road-tax/amp/
Old 07-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #512
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Not having enough charge in your phone is not in the same category of inconvenience as not having enough charge in your car (esp if you're in Chilliwack)!
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #513
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
we've all forgotten to charge our phones every now and then...what happens when you start work commute under 30% and there's no charger near work? you can make it but after work gotta look for a charger and grab dinner while waiting on it?
Depends on the car. 30% on a Tesla model 3 long range is still over 150 KM. 10 to 20 min at a Tesla supercharging station should get you enough charge to get home.
Old 07-01-2021, 12:58 PM   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Lol..no offense but this sounds like a nightmare.
To be honest, it was but it also wasn't. But I just wanted to share my story.
That being said, I've driven the Leaf to Whistler and it wasn't as bad.
I've gone to Chilliwack and it also wasn't this bad.
Heck, I've taken the Leaf to Mission and ran a few sessions last April and it wasn't that bad.

Just that this time with the 45C temps was extremely hard on the batteries.

Flip side is what BIC_BAWS said. I had the car plugged in and running with the AC on in the garage with no worries of carbon monoxide poisoning.

That being said, Nissan really needs to fix the battery cooling issue.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-01-2021, 01:03 PM   #515
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
EV owners told to send in odometer readings for road tax.

https://thedriven.io/2021/06/30/vict...-road-tax/amp/
Any EV owner thinking his EV would always exempt him from road tax is deceiving himself. It is really no different than how all those "free" public charging would end up becoming pay per use.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
It's a tad difficult to say as every person's situation will differ.
I mean how far is the drive to and from work.
What charger they have at home.
What car and range they have.

Let's put it this way. If you can find a fast charger, you only need a 10 min charge and that should get you home where you can plug in the car and charge up the battery.

But at the same time, how often would you run the batteries down that low?
I've had my Leaf for almost 3 years now and this is only the second time where I let the battery run down that low. And yes there were a few nights where I was grabbing the groceries from the trunk and forgot to plug it in.

Adding to my reply to what Hondaracer said, take my story with a grain of salt. Had it not been 45C, I could have made the Hope trip with a single recharging stop. But I should also mention, if I was in a gas car, I would have had to wait 20+ mins to get gas in Abbotsford as there was a line up to get into the gas stations as everyone was coming back from the Okanagan and wanted the cheaper gas before hitting Langley.

My trip to Mission raceway last year. Started with a full charge, got to Mission Raceway with just over 60% charge. Popped into the Superstore parking lot and DC fast charged the car to 90%.
Ran the first session. Parked it.
Ran the second session and the battery over heated.
Parked the car at Superstore to charge and went for lunch. Skipped the third session.
Ran the 4th session, battery over heated so I called it a day. Skipped the 5th session and called it a day.

As battery tech improves, cars come out with more batteries, and overall charging network improves, driving an EV should be as seemless as driving a gas powered car.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #517
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,886 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
^^ do you find your leaf loses a lot of range with AC or heat on? I was looking for a cheap beater/ winter car that I might drive 2-3 days a week, looking at used leafs Vs Prius prime, hybrid Lexus, i3, older Prius, but the price premium that ppl ask for cuz it's a hybrid/ electric didn't really work based on my math. I estimated if I fill up twice a month, 60l tank each time. It would take me over 5 years to recoupe the extra $10000 that I pay for a pure ev Vs just a $5000 cheap beater. Plus I will have to deal with older battery tech and limited range.

However if I was using this as the family daily commuter then the math masks sense cuz we fill up at least once a week.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #518

Quote:
^^ do you find your leaf loses a lot of range with AC or heat on? I was looking for a cheap beater/ winter car that I might drive 2-3 days a week, looking at used leafs Vs Prius prime, hybrid Lexus, i3, older Prius, but the price premium that ppl ask for cuz it's a hybrid/ electric didn't really work based on my math. I estimated if I fill up twice a month, 60l tank each time. It would take me over 5 years to recoupe the extra $10000 that I pay for a pure ev Vs just a $5000 cheap beater. Plus I will have to deal with older battery tech and limited range.

However if I was using this as the family daily commuter then the math masks sense cuz we fill up at least once a week.
You really need to take a look at your wants and needs.
My next vehicle might be a hybrid only because I want an SUV again and no one has a pure EV SUV yet.

I see a loss of around 6% in range with the heat/AC/fan on.

But also consider the savings on no more oil changes and less brake jobs with an EV and regen braking.

Insurance wise, it is a little bit more expensive than a comparible ICE powered car.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-03-2021, 03:56 PM   #519

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
^ where did you sell your old car? Trade or back to Tesla? Used model 3 prices are more expensive than new
I sold it to Canada Drives. They offered me $49k and Tesla offered me around $31k

Last edited by Koflach; 07-03-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
To be honest, it was but it also wasn't. But I just wanted to share my story.
That being said, I've driven the Leaf to Whistler and it wasn't as bad.
I've gone to Chilliwack and it also wasn't this bad.
Heck, I've taken the Leaf to Mission and ran a few sessions last April and it wasn't that bad.

Just that this time with the 45C temps was extremely hard on the batteries.

Flip side is what BIC_BAWS said. I had the car plugged in and running with the AC on in the garage with no worries of carbon monoxide poisoning.

That being said, Nissan really needs to fix the battery cooling issue.
I couldn't live with that. I drove my long range model 3 to Kamloops and only had to stop once in Merrit to charge.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #521

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
That's still kinnda insane your brand new car still has 2 issues.
Meh, they aren't big issues by any means. one issue was a small black mark on the white interior trim and the other was an issue with some abnormal creases in the back seat. Both should be easily fixable.
Old 07-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #522
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,285 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
I don't think a majority of the population race their Nissan Leaf, so that's out of the norm from an operational perspective. On the flip side, SumAznGuy really pushed his car's batteries to the limits, so kudos to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:41 AM   #523
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,353 Times in 508 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 8 Posts
Seriously debating getting the wife the Mach E. Reviews have all for the most part been positive, going to drive one this week to see how it is. Will update once I drive it
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2021, 09:48 AM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcuzracecarz View Post
Seriously debating getting the wife the Mach E. Reviews have all for the most part been positive, going to drive one this week to see how it is. Will update once I drive it
It's a great looking vehicle, the only drawback is the charging network.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #525
G
Banned (BBM)

Failed 86 Times in 39 Posts
Drove around downtown yesterday to go into the office and I think they are opening a Lucid showroom fronting onto West Georgia & Granville in Pacific Center?
G is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: