REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #926
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Gonna need more range than that, especially when you have to factor in cold weather.

On one of the cold days, I started the day with 90% charge. Ran a few errands, drove a total of maybe 75km and that chewed up about 50% of the battery. That includes prewarming the batteries before starting my trip, and having my climate control on full automatic. Also some stationary idling with the heat on too.

This was on the model 3 standard range.

EDIT: Ideally the Honda E would be the perfect commuter car for me, too bad it's a forbidden fruit here.
I'm actually curious, so I asked Mazda for a mx-30 press car for a month I want to see just how hard it is to live in vancouver with 160km of range. It's going to be in the month of February so it's still going to be cold. I only have access to 120v plug so I think it's going to be a good experience.
Advertisement
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #927
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
I'm actually curious, so I asked Mazda for a mx-30 press car for a month I want to see just how hard it is to live in vancouver with 160km of range. It's going to be in the month of February so it's still going to be cold. I only have access to 120v plug so I think it's going to be a good experience.
Looking forward to your review
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #928
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 10 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Gonna need more range than that, especially when you have to factor in cold weather.

On one of the cold days, I started the day with 90% charge. Ran a few errands, drove a total of maybe 75km and that chewed up about 50% of the battery. That includes prewarming the batteries before starting my trip, and having my climate control on full automatic. Also some stationary idling with the heat on too.

This was on the model 3 standard range.

EDIT: Ideally the Honda E would be the perfect commuter car for me, too bad it's a forbidden fruit here.
Like I've said, buy double what one needed, a 40kwh leaf is at least $5000 cheaper than any other 400+km EV. Imagine people have access to charge at work and home...A 24 or 30kwh would work just fine.

So IMO to suggest to buy the longest rang one can buy is a bad advice.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #929
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
i live in east van and this would be fine for me driving out to chilliwack for a site visit so i'd like to think 160km range is fine for city commuting, but look forward to the review

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #930
Media Officer / MOD

As a family we rarely travel beyond East Van/Richmond/Burnaby so 160km seems more than sufficient. I had the MX-30 previously for a week and I thought it was okay for what I needed to do which was little drives here and there but having it for a month should show more shortcomings.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #931
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
ice racing
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:08 PM   #932
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I recall seeing several Tesla supercharger stations in all the little towns heading to Cache Creek including Cache Creek itself
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #933
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Volkswagen in the US offers free 3 year charging with Electrify America. I think in Canada, it's Electrify Canada. In any case, Electrify America, and I assume Electrify Canada, is owned by Volkswagen.

https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/149

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrify_America

Don't think they're gonna partner with Tesla any time soon. Plus, non-tesla cars (not all) can charge at Tesla stations.

Closest Electrify Anything station I've seen is at the Fred Meyers in Bellingham (the one by Costco).
How can any non Tesla charge at a Tesla station? The car and charger talk to each other and you automatically get charged through your tesla account with no intervention by the driver. It's not like at a Flo station or one of the other third party ones where you need one of their apps with a credit card attached to it or even have to carry a balance with them.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #934
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,567 Times in 4,936 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
It's possible. Lots of how to videos out there. In Europe charging at Superchargers is possible. Here, in NA, only level two Tesla chargers or home chargers can charge non-tesla vehicle. So far.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/...-supercharging

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...h=4049cb4c784d

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...-to-other-evs/

From Netherlands..................
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 01-19-2022 at 08:56 PM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #935
Media Officer / MOD

I don't think I've seen a lot of Tesla Level 2 chargers out there.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:42 PM   #936

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
It's possible. Lots of how to videos out there. In Europe charging at Superchargers is possible. Here, in NA, only level two Tesla chargers or home chargers can charge non-tesla vehicle. So far.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/support/...-supercharging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW_JWwgFNF0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alistai...h=4049cb4c784d

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...-to-other-evs/

From Netherlands..................
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=theiiFWydmo
Yes, In europe Tesla's use a different plug than in North America as they've standardized things far better than in North America. I was referring to Supercharging in North America, not using level 1 or 2 home chargers/destination chargers where you don't have to pay Tesla to use them.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:33 PM   #937
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I recall seeing several Tesla supercharger stations in all the little towns heading to Cache Creek including Cache Creek itself
There's none in that area other than Merritt/Hope/Kamloop

However, BCHydro has DCFC along the HWY1. At least I know for sure there's one at Boston Bar since that's where I charged last summer. It's outside of a crappy bowling place. Even went in for a round with the kids while waiting.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:21 PM   #938
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Well that makes sense, cuz I had to come home through Merritt and Hope because of 99 closures
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:23 PM   #939
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

However, BCHydro has DCFC along the HWY1. At least I know for sure there's one at Boston Bar since that's where I charged last summer. It's outside of a crappy bowling place. Even went in for a round with the kids while waiting.
Is there any Petro Canada's with chargers along the way up to Cache Creek?
I know this past summer, I was in Hope and they had a few BC Hydro DCFC's, there was an Esso truck stop that had a row of Tesla chargers, and Petro Can had their own DCFC's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 12:16 AM   #940
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 10 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post

Cache Creek, BC Supercharger
Cache Creek Visitor Information Centre
1270 Stage Road
Cache Creek, BC V0K 1H0
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:41 AM   #941

Thanked 3,164 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
South Surrey Tesla superchargers vandalized. They were supposed to be activated this Wednesday.
https://driveteslacanada.ca/supercha...tish-columbia/
Old 01-24-2022, 09:36 AM   #942
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
I never thought I'd visit this thread but after having 3 V8's with 2 that require 91 for a while now combined with these recent fuel price hikes I'm feeling like a chump defending ICE's. Between my wife and I we both don't commute to work so driving is fairly mimimal, but we do drive 10 minutes here and then 15 minutes there so the worst kind of driving for a gas vehicle. En EV would be perfect these all in-town trips. I'll go back and read through this thread to gain some insight but for now here's where I'm at.

1) Sell the LX570 and replace it with something like the Audi e-tron (still researching EV SUV's)
2) Wait for an EV truck to be released and sell the Tundra (still as ways away from these being available though)
3) Keep both and just get a putt-around-town car for commutes that don't require a large SUV or pick up truck (maybe this would show us which ICE to sell)

The Lightning and Silverado EV's look great with crazy power and towing specs but sadly they are a long ways off. A year at least for a Lightning and 2024 for the Silverado. Not sure what else is available.

Tesla can eat a fat dick IMO and I'm not interested in spending any money with that brand so that has been my biggest challenge with entering into the EV market. But now with lots of other automakers getting into the market space it shows promise for better styling and longer range.

Off to rabbit-hole a bit. I'll report back.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #943

Thanked 3,164 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
^Whats the issue you have with Tesla?
Old 01-24-2022, 10:02 AM   #944
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,057 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^^ it would seem like option 1 would be your best bet. Unless there is a reason why you need 2 big sized vehicles. Then you have one EV and one big V8 vehicle (when you need it)... best of both worlds?
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 11:37 AM   #945
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
^Whats the issue you have with Tesla?
My father had a Model X in 2017 and is was complete junk. I hear quality has improved though. Styling is barf worthy and they are a dime a dozen. Not a fan of Elon either really but that's just icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^^ it would seem like option 1 would be your best bet. Unless there is a reason why you need 2 big sized vehicles. Then you have one EV and one big V8 vehicle (when you need it)... best of both worlds?
Agreed. We definitely need a truck for truck stuff and since a 1 ton diesel is out and the Tundra is the only half ton truck I'll accept then it would make sense to keep it and watch the EV truck market for now.

The LX is great for road trips, I like the towing availability, the 8 passenger option is nice too (2 families of 4 for outings where parking may be an issue or why take two vehicles when one will do). Also, 600kms+ is doable on highway trips even with the V8 while 450kms is a stretch with city driving. So I guess I'd want an 8 passenger EV SUV with a 600kms range and 7000lb towing capacity. Does that exist? I'll research but quick answers are welcome.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #946

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
The LX is great for road trips, I like the towing availability, the 8 passenger option is nice too (2 families of 4 for outings where parking may be an issue or why take two vehicles when one will do). Also, 600kms+ is doable on highway trips even with the V8 while 450kms is a stretch with city driving. So I guess I'd want an 8 passenger EV SUV with a 600kms range and 7000lb towing capacity. Does that exist? I'll research but quick answers are welcome.
Closest thing would be the Rivian R1S. 7,700lb towing, seats 7, 480km of range. Probably won't be cheap to spec it out to your needs but I guess that's the same for the other EV trucks.

https://rivian.com/r1s
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2022, 12:48 PM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
South Surrey Tesla superchargers vandalized. They were supposed to be activated this Wednesday.
https://driveteslacanada.ca/supercha...tish-columbia/
The thief's were very fortunate that they were not turned on as those cables have a lot of juice running through them.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #948
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
The thief's were very fortunate that they were not turned on as those cables have a lot of juice running through them.
They cut the cables from the chargers that would plug into the car.
Even if the chargers were live, there is no juice in them until they are plugged into the car and the car communicates to the chargers to bill the owner of the car.

It's not like a live wire on top of the power poles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:03 PM   #949
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
My father had a Model X in 2017 and is was complete junk. I hear quality has improved though. Styling is barf worthy and they are a dime a dozen. Not a fan of Elon either really but that's just icing on the cake.

Agreed. We definitely need a truck for truck stuff and since a 1 ton diesel is out and the Tundra is the only half ton truck I'll accept then it would make sense to keep it and watch the EV truck market for now.

At this moment, what you're looking for does not exist.

There are options in the future like the Rivian said above. There's going to be a Hummer SUV after the truck but I think it's going to be a 5-seater.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #950
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
The Rivian might be able to pull 7700lbs, but you're not going to get anywhere near 480km range with that. Everything that I have seen regarding towing and EV's is that you expect your range to decrease by 2/3rds or more when towing.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: