REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-09-2022, 07:24 AM   #1076
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
I wonder how long your extension cord was

You need at least a 50A twist lock receptacle and proper wiring back into your panel in order to back feed electrons back to your home panel. That being said, a backup generator is only supposed to keep the lights on, heat a room, and chill the freezer.
Only about 10 feet, 8 gauge cab tire. The generator was just outside the laundry room window.

You only need a 30A L14-30P on the generator end to a 30A 14-30P on the dryer end.

It's safe as long as you follow the right sequence to hook it up:
1) Turn off house main breaker
2) Turn off breakers to unnecessary loads
3) Plug both ends of cord
4) Start Generator

And then disconnect it in reverse order.
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 02-09-2022 at 07:30 AM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2022, 07:27 AM   #1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
The F150 V2H (Vehicle to Home) capability is greatly misleading.

There is no way one could pull such a feat off without making a major upgrade to your home electrical system to be taking power from the vehicle instead of the grid. There are many home electrical components involved to do V2H, and that's the very reason why Tesla scrapped the idea. No one is going to spend thousands in upgrades just so that they can use their EV to power their home in emergency. You are better off just buying a backup generator with the same amount of money.

As of right now from the F150 presentation, it's nothing more than having a few plugs that you can use in case of power outage. But it's super inefficient because of the DC-AC conversion.

To be able to do a proper V2H, you are basically installing a Tesla Powerwall system without the battery, where the car itself acts as one. But all those hardware need to be in place in order to do that.
What are you even talking about? The lightning has a 240V/30A L30-L14R receptacle on board. You can literally plug it directly into your house wiring via the method I described above. That's more than enough power to keep your fridge/freezer cold and give you some lights for a couple days in an emergency.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 02-09-2022, 04:38 PM   #1078
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
What are you even talking about? The lightning has a 240V/30A L30-L14R receptacle on board. You can literally plug it directly into your house wiring via the method I described above. That's more than enough power to keep your fridge/freezer cold and give you some lights for a couple days in an emergency.
A true V2H means that when a power outage occurs, your home electrical system (the panel itself) shifts from draining power from the grid (the electrical cable that runs into your panel) to the battery of your car. This is the case with Tesla Powerwall. It takes over the entire panel during an outage. You don't need to replug your appliances anywhere.

There are equipment that need to go to your panel and the car needs to have a proper connection/design that just a mere 240v/30amp connector can provide.

By having a few plugs, it means having a huge powerbank that you connect whatever needed to be powered to the vehicle, but that's not a true V2H/V2G (vehicle to grid) that many have asked Tesla to do with their vehicles.

Ford does have a planned Hardware kit to do just that, but it's an expense nonetheless and it won't be cheap:

https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning

"Home Integration System hardware price: Coming soon3
Home Integration System installation price: Coming soon3"
Old 02-09-2022, 06:30 PM   #1079

Quote:
A true V2H means that when a power outage occurs, your home electrical system (the panel itself) shifts from draining power from the grid (the electrical cable that runs into your panel) to the battery of your car. This is the case with Tesla Powerwall. It takes over the entire panel during an outage. You don't need to replug your appliances anywhere.
Lol.

What you're describing is a "transfer switch". A very common piece of electrical gear that's been around for years. They can be installed for like $1000.

Just FYI, I'm an electrical engineer, this kind of stuff is my bag.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2022, 09:26 PM   #1080

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Lol.

What you're describing is a "transfer switch". A very common piece of electrical gear that's been around for years. They can be installed for like $1000.

Just FYI, I'm an electrical engineer, this kind of stuff is my bag.
I'm not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. When I was looking at Ford's solution, it's not as simple as a transfer switch where you simply transfer everything and the F150, with the plug connected, would be able to power your house.

There's another piece of equipment which is called "Home Integration System/Package" that's required in order to draw power from F150 Lightning.

It's actually available here (a link pulled from Ford)

Yes, it CAN be done. But Ford market it as a function... but it's not really a simple plug&play kit that any F150 owner can do when they pick up their car. Ford in USA is partnering with Sunrun to install that "Home Integration Package". And so far seems to be the only provider as it was mentioned that Sunrun would sell you the integration package even if you don't install solar (Sunrun's main business)

Think it more like an option. Yes, the Ford F150 is capable of that... but if you want to add such function, please add $xxxx to your bill.

So, either Ford is trying to money-grab or there's something they are getting wrong if your $1000 switch is all what's needed.
Old 02-09-2022, 09:37 PM   #1081
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
I'm not an expert, so correct me if I'm wrong. When I was looking at Ford's solution, it's not as simple as a transfer switch where you simply transfer everything and the F150, with the plug connected, would be able to power your house.

There's another piece of equipment which is called "Home Integration System/Package" that's required in order to draw power from F150 Lightning.

Yes, it CAN be done. But Ford market it as a function... but it's not really a simple plug&play kit that any F150 owner can do when they pick up their car. Ford in USA is partnering with Sunrun to install that "Home Integration Package". And so far seems to be the only provider as it was mentioned that Sunrun would sell you the integration package even if you don't install solar (Sunrun's main business)

Think it more like an option. Yes, the Ford F150 is capable of that... but if you want to add such function, please add $xxxx to your bill.

So, either Ford is trying to money-grab or there's something they are getting wrong if your $1000 switch is all what's needed.
According to this video it's around $400 in parts and and about 8 hours of time for an electrician.

The cyber truck will have multiple outlets including a 220 volt outlet.
Old 02-10-2022, 06:59 AM   #1082

Quote:

The system you see there is for solar charging and power management, so yes that needs more parts and complexity.

However, if all you want to do is power up your house from your F150 for a couple days in the event of an emergency power outage, all you need is a transfer switch and a 30A cord (or no transfer switch at all if you do it via the Dryer receptacle method I described above, just have to be more careful that's all)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #1083

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
I went to a Hyundai dealership this weekend and the salesman told me the EV grants are rumoured to end by this Spring? Any truth to this or they just want me to go for the top line trim
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:47 AM   #1084
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,888 Times in 998 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
^^ they were supposed to "run out" so just depends if the gov wants to top it up
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:28 PM   #1085

Caught a glimpse of a Eqs today looks pretty cool like a space ship and they did that front light bar thing. I'm surprised those are legal like the new golfs
Old 02-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #1086
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
What's coming down the pipeline in the next 3 years when it comes to fully electric SUV's similar size to X5, GLE, Q7, Pilot, highlander, etc?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #1087
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
What's coming down the pipeline in the next 3 years when it comes to fully electric SUV's similar size to X5, GLE, Q7, Pilot, highlander, etc?
Nothing announced as of yet but Toyota did say they will have a bigger bz4x no idea on when the timeline is.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:54 AM   #1088
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
Only one I know of for sure is the fully electric Macan. I think it's basically going to be a Taycan with the Macan body on it.

BMW has the IX.
They had a commercial for it during the Super Bowl with Arnold. He's gonna pump you up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #1089

Thanked 2,647 Times in 1,146 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ototype-drive/

1st drive of the ID.Buzz - short wheelbase version is 186in long, IMO, perfect for urban Canadians but it's unlikely to make it here as they said the US will get the LWB version which means we'll probably get that too. Figure another 10 inches long.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #1090
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
ID.Buzz is suppose to be 50k-60k to start. I love the retro styling but that's a shit ton more than the id.4 which it's based.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:12 PM   #1091
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/bz4x/grades

Still not many details regarding the Toyota BZ4X

But here are the trim levels on the UK website

Base model comes with an 8 inch screen

Hopefully when it hits our shores, it's priced aggressively enough to qualify for both rebates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 09:35 PM   #1092
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022FIN0005-000251

Looks like the bc gov is pumping more money into the EV program so hopefully those fed and provincial rebates will still be around for 2023/2024

Another good news is that they are bumping the luxury tax from 55k to 75k. Good news for us because we just ordered our Ioniq 5 Ultimate which would have been hit with the existing luxury tax (extra 3%)
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2022, 11:15 PM   #1093
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafe22 View Post
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2022FIN0005-000251

Looks like the bc gov is pumping more money into the EV program so hopefully those fed and provincial rebates will still be around for 2023/2024

Another good news is that they are bumping the luxury tax from 55k to 75k. Good news for us because we just ordered our Ioniq 5 Ultimate which would have been hit with the existing luxury tax (extra 3%)
Pretty cool to see a PST exemption on used EVs as well! Nice to see the rules applying to a larger range of vehicles.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2022, 07:05 AM   #1094
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 10 Times in 4 Posts
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-e...-pst-exemption

So those model 3 will be tempting!
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:18 AM   #1095
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,289 Times in 2,057 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ If an older Model S is around the same price point $45-50K ... would the Model 3 still be the better choice just simply because of better shelf life? Assuming other things being somewhat equal like kms and range.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:38 AM   #1096

^ I drove a 17 model x, and everything felt clunky and slow, the screen was laggy and the button placements were weird. Also the seats weren't comfortable. Hard and didn't have any support.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:59 AM   #1097

Thanked 3,164 Times in 996 Posts
Failed 333 Times in 67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ If an older Model S is around the same price point $45-50K ... would the Model 3 still be the better choice just simply because of better shelf life? Assuming other things being somewhat equal like kms and range.
Had 2017 S as a courtesy for a month ..Interior quality was absolute junk. The build quality on the Model 3 is much better than older Tesla Models.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #1098

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
I would go for a newer model 3 over the older S every day. The technology has come so far since the older S was made that the cars are night and day.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #1099

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
My wife and I took an ID4 for a test drive in Langley on the weekend and I was really impressed with the car. I'm coming from a dual motor M3 so I found it fairly slow but it was still fairly good. The build quality on it seemed fairly good (current models being sold are made in Germany but soon enough they will be made in the USA) and I liked the material choices they used on the interior.

I wasn't a fan of the interface coming from a Tesla but i'm sure I could get use to it soon enough. One thing I found confusing was that they chose to do one pedal driving in a weird way. In a Tesla, you go into a menu through the screen and set how aggressive you want the regenerative braking to be. On the ID4, you need to put the car into drive (it's a little knob next to the screen with the speedometer on it) and then you twist the knob a second time to put it on one pedal driving. This seemed a little odd but then you need to do it each time you put the car into drive as well. I don't know why they would make it a physical button that you would need to turn on each time, it really seems like a mistake on their part that I hope they can resolve in the future.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #1100
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Interesting read on what's going on in the states:

Quote:
Among the problems he encountered? A barrier to a simple test drive. He encountered seven different dealers that required credit checks before test drives. What makes this worse is that he was being told this as a cash buyer. Dealers from Downtown Los Angeles to Orange County to Inland were requiring similar checks.
https://jalopnik.com/kia-dealers-are...ev6-1848577923
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote