REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #1601
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,317 Posts
Failed 58 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
It sure is. Without mirrors it's 87", with mirrors it's 94". A typical transit bus is 102" and standard lane widths are between 120" and 144".

Standard parking spot in Vancouver is 96" and compact is 90". Thoughts and prayers for anyone parked next to a Hummer EV.
You know those dipshits would park it in a "small car" spot. Drives me nuts to see a pickup truck in a small car spot and it's sticking out from all sides.
Advertisement
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2022, 03:18 PM   #1602
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
When did the Model Y LR and Performance price difference change to 5k. I recall it used to be way more than that. Makes getting the Performance a bit more tempting if you're willing to sacrifice some range
BlackV62K2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #1603
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
When did the Model Y LR and Performance price difference change to 5k. I recall it used to be way more than that. Makes getting the Performance a bit more tempting if you're willing to sacrifice some range
Wow I didn't realize the MYLR is that expensive now. Weren't they like $69k when it came out in like 2019/20?
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:04 PM   #1604
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,380 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 51 Times in 26 Posts
seems like toyota figure out a fix for the recall on their bz4x. wonder when they will start production again on them
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 01:10 PM   #1605
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 4 Times in 1 Post
I texted the richmond dealer today. He told me it's a 20 month wait for the new sequoia.

Completely shock
hellokittyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:51 PM   #1606
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
The reason for the 5 grand gap is if you look at the configuration carefully, the long range has the added optional wheels already.

If you remove it, it will be cheaper, but longer delivery time
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #1607
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 39 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
The reason for the 5 grand gap is if you look at the configuration carefully, the long range has the added optional wheels already.

If you remove it, it will be cheaper, but longer delivery time
Hm, I just tried on the online configurator and removed the optional wheels from the LR, it is $87,000 (including the destination, etc fees) whereas the performance is $92,000(including same fees)
haha13 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2022, 09:42 PM   #1608
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/families-...-000-1.6116679

Batteries from last gen EV's already rearing the ugly issues of EV/hybrids.
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:40 PM   #1609
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunt3r View Post

The 2018 Kia Soul has a 27kWh, while I couldn't find the exact figure for the Lincoln, I would guess it's pretty small being a hybrid.

Batteries have a certain amount of lifespan that's determined by how many times it's charged and then discharged. A BEV with small battery pack (Kia Soul's case) or a Hybrid with tiny battery, both from manufacturers who don't really have an amazing BMS to begin with are just

Seriously though, this is just the tip of an iceberg of the very beginning of EV transition. Anyone who thinks legacy automakers would have no problem switching to EV would be in for a surprise. What these carmakers know about making engines help them little to nothing in making good EVs.

Yes, they can put an EV together better than one or another, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to spending R&D to understand batteries and electrons. Look at the GM Volt disaster. Yes... GM blames on LG... but Tesla also use LG batteries and they don't suffer the same problem. Reason? BMS and battery design. GM took an easy way out by using batteries in pouches. It offers some advantages (that GM was looking for) but with some underlying risks, which eventually became a problem they can no longer keep under control.

Of course it goes deeper than that... but I'm just giving a very simple example on how legacy automakers would struggle down the road with EV if they don't start investing in the right space.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:49 PM   #1610
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,873 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
The problems for Tesla come when they do get their shit together…. And Tesla cannot compete with their production capacity and parts / dealer networks…
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #1611

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunt3r View Post

I've been harping on this for a while now, some EV owners are going to have a rude awakening over the next few years here.

It's fascinating because this whole idea behind EVs is environmental impact, yet Tesla and a lot of these other manufactures price battery replacement in a cost prohibitive manner.

They would much rather you scrap that old EV and buy a new one entirely as opposed to fixing it, it's quite antithetical to the whole idea of environmental conservation.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2022, 09:10 PM   #1612

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I've been harping on this for a while now, some EV owners are going to have a rude awakening over the next few years here.

It's fascinating because this whole idea behind EVs is environmental impact, yet Tesla and a lot of these other manufactures price battery replacement in a cost prohibitive manner.

They would much rather you scrap that old EV and buy a new one entirely as opposed to fixing it, it's quite antithetical to the whole idea of environmental conservation.
They do that because of how the BMS and cell structures are designed. It's actually for the better of the environment.

BMS is expected to manage thousands of batteries that share a similar level of wear and maintain it throughout the life of the vehicle/battery pack by averaging out on those thousands of cells.

By introducing brand new packs among a bunch of used packs create all sort of problems such as difference in voltage and/or output... making managing the longevity of battery packs even harder, not to mention the difference in voltage might make it more dangerous.

Could we design battery packs that can be swapped out at individual cell level (or small enough qty)? Yes. But you add huge unnecessary complexity to EV designs that serve no real benefit. Making EVs even more expensive, and therefore slowdown the transition to EVs.

Cell packs are expensive. Current industry figure is still roughly $150/kWh at cell level. This means that if your Tesla got a 100kWh battery pack, the pack's price for just the cells are 15k, and this is before putting them into the pack, adding controllers, heat management... etc. Then all the labor and whatever to perform the swap.

And yes, even with that... EV is still miles better for the environment than driving an ICE beater because cells are highly recyclable and EV motors are a lot more efficient. At raw material level, the recycling rate is nearly 100% whereas ICE's fossil fuel is in our air once burnt... no way to get it back. The average ICE efficiency is just under 30%, EVs are 80%+

Eventually, we would likely hit a level of EV adoption that most of new cell productions actually come from old/used cells from old EVs.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:13 AM   #1613

Thanked 10,155 Times in 3,636 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
All these EVs seem just like modern day cell phones. Ie disposable. I really don’t think anyone wants to drive a 10 year old EV since their improvements are so great year over year.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2022, 07:00 AM   #1614
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ You mean 1st gen Nissan Leafs ... with like 50 kms range now that battery is like 10 yrs old.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2022, 07:04 AM   #1615

that thing wasnt cheap either. i used to see quite a few of them around the city now i dont see any.

Same w/ first gen Tesla Model S's. Hardly see any those around too.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
All these EVs seem just like modern day cell phones. Ie disposable. I really don’t think anyone wants to drive a 10 year old EV since their improvements are so great year over year.
It's actually not that bad.

The reason you don't see many old Teslas around is that their battery packs are worth a lot of money. Hence, it makes very little sense for insurance company trying to fix them when they go into a relatively small accident as the total cost (payout-price for wrecks) is way less than fixing it.

After 10+ yrs of driving, it might not make a great battery pack for EVs anymore, but many are repurposed into home batteries power backup where fast discharge is not necessary.

This is basically the EV version of driving your EV to the ground. Once it becomes too expensive for fix it, either sell the battery pack or put it into your house as a backup powerwall. That's my plan for my Model X anyway. I'm going to drive it for as long as it's still good... and when the day comes, I will just have a capable electrician to do the retrofit for the pack to become the backup power for my dad's cabin.

The price for brand new powerwall that offers 13.5kWh is roughly 15k. The Model X I have has 75kWh. So, that old battery of Model X can replace 5 powerwalls that's 75k. Not bad of an residual value after driving it for 10+ yrs.
Old 10-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #1617
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
Huh? You expect an electrician to pull the pack out from your car, throw it into new housing, then fitting it into your house? Maybe this goes into the career advice thread.

Also what are your thoughts on sharing the batteries across more cars to make everything hybrid versus limited number of evs?
headhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #1618
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
^ he did say 'capable' ... but I hear what you are saying, how many 'capable' electrician can do this or would take this on? I mean you literally have to be a Tesla mech. Taking out a car battery isn't as simple as a battery on an iphone ... unless it was a NIO
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #1619

as a huge fan of ratrollas i occasionally browse toyota's website to see whats up and i just found out that THE HYBRID COMES IN AWD NOW!!!!!!

e awd, but still. THATS NOT BAD. Good enough to get you out of a slippery situation in the snow and it doesnt really impact mileage. this is the ultimate utilitarian vehicle

Old 10-25-2022, 09:37 AM   #1620

Thanked 1,887 Times in 997 Posts
Failed 193 Times in 120 Posts
not bad xse hybrid, I remember they made it a big deal when then Prius came in AWD. Now put all this in the hatch body
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #1621

Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,196 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
Now put all this in the hatch body
Shove in a PHEV model while they're at it too
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #1622
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looking at the Toyota lineup, I had no idea those hybrid Sequoias are priced like GLE / X5s.
radeonboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #1623
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 14 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
Looking at the Toyota lineup, I had no idea those hybrid Sequoias are priced like GLE / X5s.
Priced similar, but we all know what those GLE X5s are gonna be worth in a few years
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2022, 06:26 PM   #1624
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,635 Times in 527 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
as a huge fan of ratrollas i occasionally browse toyota's website to see whats up and i just found out that THE HYBRID COMES IN AWD NOW!!!!!!

e awd, but still. THATS NOT BAD. Good enough to get you out of a slippery situation in the snow and it doesnt really impact mileage. this is the ultimate utilitarian vehicle

XSE Hybrid AWD, game over
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #1625

too bad it doesnt come in that blue like the hatch. Would compliment my ratrolla collection so well.