REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 473 Times in 132 Posts
George Massey Tunnel to be replaced by 10-lane toll bridge

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/george-massey-t...idge-1.2702821

Quote:
The aging George Massey Tunnel will be replaced by a 10-lane toll bridge.
Transportation Minister Todd Stone said the three-kilometre bridge over the Fraser River will cost $3.5-billion, up $500-million from initial estimates.
The bridge will include an HOV lane in each direction. Construction will begin in 2017.

The estimated toll costs have not been announced.
Stone promised that the new bridge would reduce commute times drastically.
"The new bridge to replace the Massey Tunnel will improve highway safety, reduce greenhouse gas emissions from unnecessary idling, and save rush-hour commuters up to 30 minutes a day," said Stone.
"This will be the largest bridge ever built in B.C. When completed, it will address what is now the worst traffic bottleneck in the province and bring travel time reliability to one of our most important transportation corridors, serving national, provincial and regional economies."
The additional lanes will reduce collisions by 35 per cent because it will be safer to merge, said Stone.

The province says the current tunnel no longer meets seismic safety requirements, and many of its major components only have a decade of useful life left before they need to replaced.
The new bridge will accompany improvements on Highway 99, including new interchanges in Richmond and Delta.
Currently, more than 80,000 vehicles use the tunnel each day.
5 lanes each way, tolled bridge, no congestion, well actually it'll allow people to reach the congestion at the end of oak bridge merge faster lol. no more tunnel WOT rips?

and didnt they just did a massive upgrade to the south end of the tunnel with all the new on/off ramps and over passes? or r they gonna scrap that area since it mentioned new interchanges
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
With all the cheapasses out there, the Alex Fraser better prepare its anus to become the new bottleneck in the GVRD. Backups all the way down the East/West Connector, into Richmond, and towards No.3...
Old 12-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
It's going to be one massive gongshow in that area for a solid 5 years. Not even going to bother taking that route, will probably just join the upcoming Alex Fraser horror traffic show to avoid the mess.

Great time to move as well, a huge lot right in front of my apartment is turning into a mixed-use highrise with a three-level parkade, and now the bridge is being tolled. Sounds like a good time to move north of the Fraesr. But oh wait, Mayor Moonbeam and his goons want to turn pretty much all the streets of Vancouver into dedicated bike lanes!

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
$3.5 billion? Didn't need a plebiscite for this one huh Christy?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,920 Times in 761 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
..and of course the goddamn bastards in Delta are just sitting on this with no plan at all...

http://www.revscene.net/forums/68247...e-removed.html
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
Excited for completion. Not looking forward to the process. The tunnel is brutal in the morning and I would welcome a small toll to make my commute less time consuming.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 19 Posts
going to start looking for jobs in Langley...
Old 12-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Excited for completion. Not looking forward to the process. The tunnel is brutal in the morning and I would welcome a small toll to make my commute less time consuming.
If it's going to be managed by TReO which if I'm making a safe assumption, it will be, we'll see toll rates probably around where the Port Mann and Golden Ears charge, maybe even more because who knows what things will be like in 2022 when the bridge is slated for completion. Given the current circumstances, I take the tunnel nearly every single day of the week, $6 per day is way too much to pay, that translates into nearly $40 a week, so I'm paying essentially for an extra tank of gas each week.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
As a Surrey resident that has had to pay tolls for a few years now. I don't feel bad for anyone that's going to have to get used to it. As much as I hate tolls, I'm excited more people are going to have to pay them.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
News 1130 has reported on the Minister (of Transportation, presumably) that the toll for this one will be "comparable" to Port Mann. However, as far as I can see (and I am no engineer), the work involved should be noticeably less than what is required for the Port Mann, and the costs of materials should be much cheaper now than it was at the time of Port Mann's construction since China's economy has cooled off, and steel prices have tanked.

So charging the same rate makes no sense to me.

And fxxk me on all my PR gas runs and parcel pick ups...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
taking the tunnel/alex fraser makes me feel privileged to pay $3 for the port mann. i honestly think ive been stuck in traffic maybe 3 times since they put the toll in. driving it daily.

i share the concern that alex fraser will get even more fucked, it has already gotten way worse since the toll on the port mann. i worry how many more stupid shitty drivers will start taking it.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #12
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Massey Tunnel to be replaced with B.C.'s largest toll bridge - British Columbia - CBC News

4. It will have a bike lane

Currently cyclists using the tunnel have to load their bikes on a free shuttle that does not even run on weekends in the winter.

The new bridge will have a multi-use pathway for cyclists and pedestrians on the west side of the bridge, connecting to Steveston Highway and River Road South.
Funnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:18 AM   #13
I am on the internets

Failed 129 Times in 31 Posts
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:48 AM   #14
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !e.lo_ View Post
going to start looking for jobs in Langley...
i was driving out of langely the other day @ around 6pm and it literally took 28mins to move 1 km to get to the hwy 1 west exit
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #15
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Failed 1,848 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
5 lanes each way, tolled bridge, no congestion, well actually it'll allow people to reach the congestion at the end of oak bridge merge faster lol
It will also aid everyone getting the fuck out of Richmond in the evening rush. Same as with the Port Mann, everyone bitches about "if you build it, they will come", but fail to include, "if you build it, they can also leave".

Quote:
and didnt they just did a massive upgrade to the south end of the tunnel with all the new on/off ramps and over passes? or r they gonna scrap that area since it mentioned new interchanges
The interchanges on the Richmond side are a shit-show, what with the Steveston Hwy overpass being only a single lane each way, and the goofy little short bus lanes and wonky left turns.

On the Delta side, remember the tunnel actually comes out on Deas Island and then there's another small bridge over Deas Slough. The interchange with River Rd/17A has been a mess for the last 20+ years. The "new" stuff is all part of the SFPR project and is over 4km south of the end of the tunnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"

Last edited by Soundy; 12-17-2015 at 06:47 AM.
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 71 Times in 15 Posts
I'm so happy I won't be using the Massey tunnel after March 2016
Old 12-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #17
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 47 Times in 6 Posts
Such a scam
mciroc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #18
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
aww, no more midnight tunnel runs
Zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Failed 703 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saveth View Post
As a Surrey resident that has had to pay tolls for a few years now. I don't feel bad for anyone that's going to have to get used to it. As much as I hate tolls, I'm excited more people are going to have to pay them.
That's kinda sadistic of you

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #20
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
It will also aid everyone getting the fuck out of Richmond in the evening rush. Same as with the Port Mann, everyone bitches about "if you build it, they will come", but fail to include, "if you build it, they can also leave".

The interchanges on the Richmond side are a shit-show, what with the Steveston Hwy overpass being only a single lane each way, and the goofy little short bus lanes and wonky left turns.

On the Delta side, remember the tunnel actually comes out on Deas Island and then there's another small bridge over Deas Slough. The interchange with River Rd/17A has been a mess for the last 20+ years. The "new" stuff is all part of the SFPR project and is over 4km south of the end of the tunnel.
At least with the Port Mann project, they upgraded and fixed most of the interchanges and roads leading up to them. It did wonders to help alleviate traffic on most parts surrounding Hwy1. Wonder if they'll do the same thing with this new bridge. The Richmond interchanges suck and will still be a clusterfuck even with ten lanes flowing across the water.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #21
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
i was driving out of langely the other day @ around 6pm and it literally took 28mins to move 1 km to get to the hwy 1 west exit
To be fair, 200th around Hwy1 is absolutely brutal, especially this time of year. There was some extremely short sighted planning over the past 10 years. Widening it will help a little bit, but as that's the only "major" exit out of Langley to the highway, it still backs up at the best of times. Reminds me of how the 200th/Hwy1 interchange used to be back when it was still a simple two lane clover on/off. Fucking suuuuucked.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
At least with the Port Mann project, they upgraded and fixed most of the interchanges and roads leading up to them. It did wonders to help alleviate traffic on most parts surrounding Hwy1. Wonder if they'll do the same thing with this new bridge. The Richmond interchanges suck and will still be a clusterfuck even with ten lanes flowing across the water.
The worst by far is the 99/Steveston interchange, and that would most certainly have to be completely redone with the new bridge - I haven't seen the plans, but I expect it would land somewhere north of the current interchange anyway, making the current setup useless anyway.

Quote:
To be fair, 200th around Hwy1 is absolutely brutal, especially this time of year. There was some extremely short sighted planning over the past 10 years. Widening it will help a little bit, but as that's the only "major" exit out of Langley to the highway, it still backs up at the best of times. Reminds me of how the 200th/Hwy1 interchange used to be back when it was still a simple two lane clover on/off. Fucking suuuuucked.
Woulda made a lot more sense to continue the HOV lane all the way to 232, even if it's not HOV all the way. That merge, right after the merge from 200, is a gong show every day. What they did with the extra lane from 232 to 264 is what should have been done at all the interchanges.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 PM   #23
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
The worst by far is the 99/Steveston interchange, and that would most certainly have to be completely redone with the new bridge - I haven't seen the plans, but I expect it would land somewhere north of the current interchange anyway, making the current setup useless anyway.
That's true. My brain must be friend as I was thinking, for some reason, that it would be built in the exact same location as the current tunnel. But yeah, the only place they can really build it is North of the tunnel. Wonder how they'll deal with Deas Island, though. There are historical buildings they can't tear down and the majority of the island is a regional park. Too much built up area on the mainland to bypass it, unless they simply build the bridge to go over it and don't use it as a landing platform.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #24

Quote:
That's true. My brain must be friend as I was thinking, for some reason, that it would be built in the exact same location as the current tunnel. But yeah, the only place they can really build it is North of the tunnel. Wonder how they'll deal with Deas Island, though. There are historical buildings they can't tear down and the majority of the island is a regional park. Too much built up area on the mainland to bypass it, unless they simply build the bridge to go over it and don't use it as a landing platform.
Hmmm well the concept drawing shows an interchange with Steveston at the same place... doesn't show an updated interchange there, but it's obviously not a final rendering.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tranbc...57661631690490
Quote: