REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:57 PM   #551
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
^no real advantage for most people. I'm on 75 with two adults who regularly use 600gb+ a month and we never had an issue with speed.

Sure downloading torrents or whatever takes 20 minutes instead of 12, but really, is that worth the $? Of course this is different if you have 5+ active users at any given time, but I doubt that's the case for most.
Advertisement
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2023, 04:04 PM   #552
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,839 Times in 5,902 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
If you’re on fiber the slowest speed Telus provides now is 150, even if your profile says less.

I’ve been on 150 forever and I’ve never noticed an issue. On fiber as well you’re not really pulling from a pool of limited data like you are with Shaw or regular ADSL, there the amount of data coming into your home is from that pool of X amount and if you have 3 devices pulling X amount you’ll start to see slow downs.

With fiber you can run concurrent speed tests on numerous devices and be getting the profile speed on each device at the same time.

The people who go out of their way to get gigabit or higher are either gamers who stream a lot want the symmetrical upload/download speeds, or people who have no fucking clue why they need gigabit other than to run speed tests and bitch about not getting “what they’re paying for”
Old 02-07-2023, 10:23 PM   #553

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
If you’re on fiber the slowest speed Telus provides now is 150, even if your profile says less.

I’ve been on 150 forever and I’ve never noticed an issue. On fiber as well you’re not really pulling from a pool of limited data like you are with Shaw or regular ADSL, there the amount of data coming into your home is from that pool of X amount and if you have 3 devices pulling X amount you’ll start to see slow downs.

With fiber you can run concurrent speed tests on numerous devices and be getting the profile speed on each device at the same time.

The people who go out of their way to get gigabit or higher are either gamers who stream a lot want the symmetrical upload/download speeds, or people who have no fucking clue why they need gigabit other than to run speed tests and bitch about not getting “what they’re paying for”
Well I'll be damned - 177 down and 179 up. Thanks for the FYI, now I can gloat even more!!

Yeah I have a rich coworker who was boasting about his gigabit and how his Netflix is clearer now. I just stfu and nodded, lol.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 11:41 AM   #554
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
TELUS recently announced new PVR hardware. Timing is great because my contract expired recently and I've been getting more frustrated with our Arris 4k PVR box because of how insanely slow it is when loading the pre-installed apps, or if you ever land on one of those stupid TELUS "house" channels in the guide. It takes FOREVER to load up on the guide, only so you can hit 'back' and cancel out of it.

(Because our kid loves to grab the remote and mash the buttons, this because a real hassle for us when suddenly stingray music interrupts our show and takes 30 secs to load lol.)

So I thought perfect, the new box is out and it will be fast and responsive. So I didn't hesitate to call TELUS and resign for 2 years provided they give me the new box.

Just for background, we are heavy TV users in our house. We still watch a lot of cable channels, sports, timeshift, etc. We have Optik TV, 11 theme packs, includes Crave, and include Netflix as well. And internet 300 with fibre.

After placing the order, I started reading about the new PVR (probably should have done that before ordering it).

So far all I've read is:

- Complaints about the picture quality not being as good (a huge issue if that's the case)
- Lack of 4k channels that people used to get with the Arris PVR
- Lack of features like recordings starting 1 min before the scheduled time and ending 1 minute after
- No PIP of live TV when viewing the guide
- No indication within the guide of which shows are new and which are reruns
- Can be still quite buggy
- And perhaps the biggest complaint is recordings expire after 45 days

The 45 day thing matters to us. We like to keep old shows on our PVR that we've recorded a year or more ago, and we'll turn them on as background noise or when there's just plain nothing to watch.

Another use case is sometimes we'll set the PVR to record an entire season of something, and then binge watch it later on. The average season lasts way more than 45 days. Yes, you can watch things on demand in a lot of cases, but it's just way easier when it's on the PVR and you can skip commercials, and FF and rewind easily.

So I decided to call TELUS back and cancelled the new box. I said leave everything the way it is, don't change my service to the new cloud platform.

If it means I am now stuck with the Arris box for another 2 years, so be it. At least it's reliable and has all the features we like (except for streaming from the cloud).

That is so disappointing TELUS would release this box with all of those issues. My wife (ex TELUS employee) says it's classic TELUS to rush something to market before it's ready and while it's still inferior, and then iron out all the bugs later.

I have seen my in-laws' Shaw Bluecurve system and it's slick. It's just too bad Shaw always works out to be more expensive than the rate I am getting from TELUS for the same channels.

Maybe in a year or so, they'll release enough updates to solve these flags, but I'd rather not be an early adopter and wait for that to happen.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2023, 11:47 AM   #555

That’s the future. Garbage DIY set top boxes. That new hardware is complete garbage compared to the arris or technicolor 4K STB’s

They are meant to be wireless, so I’m sure they have it built into the chipset to downgrade the native signal for the sake of reliability. They went this route 100000% so they can jam more shit down your throat and pre-load or force load apps into the android architecture.

As well, you’re completely on the hook for -any- troubleshooting now. Whether it be poor wifi connection causing signal degradation etc. you will be billed $150 + tax if you want a tech to come out and diagnose the issue.

The theme packs are now even more split up and they are focusing on adding packs like Netflix, Disney, etc. Onto your Telus bill as opposed to you paying them directly for the services.

With Telus now -nothing- matters more than getting more and more services on your bill. The techs they are hiring now with the new bargaining agreement have literally zero technical background. The people coming to fix your services worked at Aritzia and superstore now as opposed to having an education or technical background. So good luck if you have advanced issues like wifi saturation or an intermittent issue

I am no longer with aforementioned company, thank god.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:31 PM   #556
private modder

Quote:
The theme packs are now even more split up and they are focusing on adding packs like Netflix, Disney, etc. Onto your Telus bill as opposed to you paying them directly for the services.
This is interesting. There are still some legacy theme packs I have which I like, and was able to keep them in my renewal.

I heard that some people who switched to the new PVR suddenly lost random channels (like Travel XP, or CW LA) for no apparent reason, even though they had those channels with the Arris box, and didn't change their theme packs.

We pay TELUS directly for Netflix as well which I also kind of like. I don't have a separate bill to worry about, and also as Netflix keeps changing its rates and making up stupid rules, I never have to worry about it.

At the end of the day, no matter how many times to I talk to Shaw and ask them if they can match all my channels at the price I am getting from TELUS, they never can make it work, so I guess I continue to stay with TELUS for the time being (at least another 2 years).
Old 04-10-2023, 04:31 PM   #557

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
That’s the future. Garbage DIY set top boxes. That new hardware is complete garbage compared to the arris or technicolor 4K STB’s

They are meant to be wireless, so I’m sure they have it built into the chipset to downgrade the native signal for the sake of reliability. They went this route 100000% so they can jam more shit down your throat and pre-load or force load apps into the android architecture.

As well, you’re completely on the hook for -any- troubleshooting now. Whether it be poor wifi connection causing signal degradation etc. you will be billed $150 + tax if you want a tech to come out and diagnose the issue.

With Telus now -nothing- matters more than getting more and more services on your bill. The techs they are hiring now with the new bargaining agreement have literally zero technical background. The people coming to fix your services worked at Aritzia and superstore now as opposed to having an education or technical background. So good luck if you have advanced issues like wifi saturation or an intermittent issue

I am no longer with aforementioned company, thank god.
You left Telus eh? How come?

I literally just started at Telus Health this week..
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 04:50 PM   #558

You’ll probably be all right

CSD, the tech side etc. is the issue. It literally devolved into unsustainable in a matter of months. I was never a union person before working there but the union completely fucked the tech side and allowed the full blown destruction of the job. And incredible corporate greed crushed the little guy. United Steel workers if a fucking jokeeeee of a union.

They took a job that used to top out at $40 an hour, doubled the responsibilities, and capped it for everyone who wasn’t grandfathered in at $29. Many people who have worked there for 7-10 years or more are totally fucked because they are making “ok” money but will take a substantial pay cut to go somewhere else, so you’re handcuffed into one of these jobs where you drag your ass to work everyday just to be fucking miserable.

I was a field manager, one of the top performers in an entire region, “Rushman” doing all the biggest, hardest to troubleshoot, chronic issues, and I walked away like nothing lol. They are losing a lottttttt of great people. Oh well, thanks for paying for some of my braces Entwistle.

I’m back to the construction industry. Have worked at my new gig for a week and it’s amazing what working with actual professionals/intelligent people feels like lol
Old 04-10-2023, 06:01 PM   #559
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,326 Times in 1,459 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 63 Posts
I don't even use my Telus PVR anymore. I just load up the Sportsnet app on my TV with my Telus account. It's amazing.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:50 PM   #560
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,941 Times in 2,573 Posts
Failed 101 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
With Telus now -nothing- matters more than getting more and more services on your bill.
i wanted to just redo a deal on my fiber and each person i got, built a package for me on shit i didn't want, 1st guy i let him cook as i thought english was a barrier and he wasn't understanding what i was asking, but the rest of them ffs... so painful, i'm not going to be nice next time it was so stressful to just get a deal on the basic internet that was offered to new users at the time.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-10-2023, 09:52 PM   #561
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,239 Times in 425 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
i wanted to just redo a deal on my fiber and each person i got, built a package for me on shit i didn't want, 1st guy i let him cook as i thought english was a barrier and he wasn't understanding what i was asking, but the rest of them ffs... so painful, i'm not going to be nice next time it was so stressful to just get a deal on the basic internet that was offered to new users at the time.
Agents trying to hit sales KPIs before they get crapped on for not hitting targets.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 07:51 AM   #562

ya that 1st guy just said let me do the contract and you can cancel 5 days before, i read the terms and all the shit he said was not true... i use work with with contracts in general so i read all the f'ing fine print

guy hung up on me when i told him cancel it, asshat

good news is i did this in dec so moving fwd i feel like i can always negotiate a new deal based on the boxing day sales

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 04-11-2023, 08:32 AM   #563
private modder

I have TELUS home phone as part of my bundle. No matter how many times I told them I didn't want the home phone, they insisted on selling it to me, even for just $1 per month, and said it was the only way I could get the big discounts on TV and internet. So I said sure, ok fine.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:36 AM   #564
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
Shaw offered me the "Free" Disney plus with my latest contract, they only offering it for free because they are banking on a good percentage of people forgetting to call in and cancel it once the free term is over.

I'm probably one of those people who would forget so I told them thanks but no thanks, I don't want it not that I need it because everything on there is available to stream other ways.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:53 AM   #565
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,811 Times in 936 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I have TELUS home phone as part of my bundle. No matter how many times I told them I didn't want the home phone, they insisted on selling it to me, even for just $1 per month, and said it was the only way I could get the big discounts on TV and internet. So I said sure, ok fine.
Lol yes I helped my father in law renew and they offered me 2 choices.

Choice A was the same services he already had, slower Internet and TV

Choice B was faster Internet, TV, and Security

Choice B was cheaper I was like wtf you're basically just forcing it at this point lol it's like fine whatever just give me the stupid smart door bell and whatever else you get.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #566

ya i had a phone and wanted to kill it, they said we can give it for $1, i said fine...

billing comes back and it's like $2.50ish their billing is really trash...

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 09-25-2023, 11:07 AM   #567
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
24 month installation promo just ran out on my telus fiber internet at home.

price went up 45 bucks a month

tips? call Telus and tell them I'm switching? does that even work anymore? I think they have me by the nuts - not sure anybody else can offer the same speed.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:22 AM   #568
private modder

Last time my telus contract expired, I called and spoke to the customer retention dept. My approach was to tell them that all I want is the same existing package (same channels, same internet speed, same everything) at the same price, and if you can do that I'll sign right now for another 2 years. If you can't, I'll probably switch.

She explained that the promotions I had are no longer available but she'd see what she can do. Then they put me on hold for 20 mins.

20 mins later she came back and said she figured it out and offered me a price that was fairly close (within $5) and I took it on the spot.

So you can try that and see how it works.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 11:26 AM   #569

Just grind them and keep saying cancel cancel.

They seem desperate now to retain customers with the Shaw rogers merger
Old 09-25-2023, 02:42 PM   #570

i sat around for a while when i was off contract too and procrastinated to the point it was december and there were promotions, so maybe time it then b/c every time your contract is up you'll be in dec promo mode and say you want whatever's on promo

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 09-25-2023, 03:30 PM   #571
in the butt

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 168 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
You left Telus eh? How come?

I literally just started at Telus Health this week..
You one of em video call doctors?

Okay now lower the camera, a bit more, a bit more, yeah perfect right there just above the gooch, you see that? Yeah that's no good.

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by mikemhg
Clothes come off and my car is permeated with the smell of fillet-o-fish and canned tuna.

donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 05:45 PM   #572

Thanked 5,193 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Naw, I'm on the IT side, implementations for SaaS.

Fucking hell, I was charged bandwidth overage fees for the first time in my life last month.

Downloaded BG3 so I suppose I went over by 30 gigs on my home internet, they ended up charging me $20-$30.

That's pretty insane, even back in the Shaw and BCTEL ADSL days, I was NEVER charged a bandwidth fee by my home internet supplier (even when going over any allotted amount).

Come to think of it, why do I even have a fucking bandwidth limit @ 450 Gigs nowadays? That's super easy to hit that on streaming alone.

Anyone get dinged like that before? I'm pissed.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 06:25 PM   #573
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,287 Times in 4,635 Posts
Failed 433 Times in 277 Posts
Telus is still monetizing on over usage unless you pay a ransom fee to unmeter your usage. The rest of the industry has moved away and simply offer unlimited packages, so I find that a bit annoying about Telus. Shaw and BCTel days did not heavily enforce over usage unless you were excessively abusing.

I recently renewed my term with Telus, and while I wasn't fishing for a package or promo, my innocent question of the TV offer promo confused the rep who then simply transferred to me to their retention team and I kept everything, except having to add unlimited internet usage which resulted in a $5 increase to my monthly service fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2023, 06:29 PM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Naw, I'm on the IT side, implementations for SaaS.

Fucking hell, I was charged bandwidth overage fees for the first time in my life last month.

Downloaded BG3 so I suppose I went over by 30 gigs on my home internet, they ended up charging me $20-$30.

That's pretty insane, even back in the Shaw and BCTEL ADSL days, I was NEVER charged a bandwidth fee by my home internet supplier (even when going over any allotted amount).

Come to think of it, why do I even have a fucking bandwidth limit @ 450 Gigs nowadays? That's super easy to hit that on streaming alone.

Anyone get dinged like that before? I'm pissed.
They used to include unlimited in almost every plan.

After I left I called in and renegotiated a new price.. fast forward a few months and like you I downloaded like 300gb in games on PS5 and I see this ducking overage charge on my account.

The rep obviously gave me this new pricing and removed my unlimited bandwidth ffs
Old 09-25-2023, 09:52 PM   #575
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Wait, what?

There are non-unlimited plans now?!

I just moved from Telus to Shaw. Unfortunately, loyalty means dick nowadays.

Paying 60 for 1gig, 2yr contract, but that's ok.

They were nice enough to give me another $10 off since I have Rogers for mobile.