REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-08-2016, 02:02 AM   #76
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 74 Times in 20 Posts
I'm pretty sure both parties have learned their lesson..

OP - never cheap out on things you value and expect quality work otherwise you'll pay x2 to get it done properly.

DK - never take on and accept a "quick" side job for extra $$ and jeopardize the possibility of degrading your "quality" work reputation and company name.

IMO just leave DK alone as im sure majority of his offensive replies were posted out from frustration and he felt the need to play the defense card with everyone bashing on him. Given the circumstances, could DK have been more professional about the situation and posts? Totally, because especially as the owner of the shop, your attitude and negativity significantly reflects on the service that you and your business provides. In addition Dk, you could have also "gone the extra mile" to do the job "right" the first time with proper techniques rather than doing it all over again and to deal with this BS because in the end, it's not worth degrading your company name for a micky mouse job. For now, just smarten up and act more professional as your future posts continues to represent your company name.
Advertisement

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 02-08-2016 at 02:13 AM.
i-vtecyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 AM   #77
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 99 Times in 30 Posts
Sounds like DK is the type of shop that will apply the paint for you; they don't mix their own paint and will do a mediocre job at it. And if u complain, then you'll get comments like, "u get what u pay for".

Moral of the story- u often times get what you paid for.
But DK, u really did do a shitty job on the lip especially since youre a shop, even if only $100 was charged to the customer. Plus your attitude is kind of an ass.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 03:43 AM   #78
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Failed 55 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
I'm pretty sure both parties have learned their lesson..

OP - never cheap out on things you value and expect quality work otherwise you'll pay x2 to get it done properly.
I will have to disagree on that point. Look at OP pictures again, it looks like complete shit. Even for a low price, it shouldn't be that bad.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #79
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKonnin View Post
The customer was not polite with me in any way and I need to post positive replies to him and not speak my mind?
That's right. You need to bite your tongue, put on your best fake smile, and attempt to make them happy. I'm not saying that you need to let customers take advantage of you, but it's in your best interest to keep folks as satisfied as possible, especially since social media reaches people so quickly. Had your original response to the op been a simple explanation of the situation from your point of view, with an offer to make it right, I don't think we would be piling on you at all.

To use another example you gave (and this is simpler than your situation but I'll use it anyways), I could care less if someone served me the wrong drink; mistakes happen. But if they called me names, made excuses, and said my business, and the business of my friends, didn't matter, then we would have a problem.

Also keep in mind that I, and many others, don't want to see your business fail. I think being a business owner would be a really tough job and I have respect for anyone trying to make a living on their own. But a huge part of that success will come from how you treat people, and especially how you respond when they get prickly. Make mistakes, learn, and improve; it's a never ending cycle that makes you a better person with a better business. Good luck, I hope you can turn things around!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #80
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Failed 1,848 Times in 413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrownboy View Post
"and I was probably driving tuned cars before half of you got your license"

It was at this point that I lost any positivity/respect that I had towards the shop owner.
Being older doesn't automatically make one right, either...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
I will have to disagree on that point. Look at OP pictures again, it looks like complete shit. Even for a low price, it shouldn't be that bad.
Correct me if I'm wrong but $120 for a front lip "paint job" is only a quarter of the actual cost compared to a reputable body shop. Most quality shops charge $400-/+. We can't really expect much because $120 just barely covers up for the paint materials and shop supplies itself, so I wouldn't be that surprised as preparation work was never done properly. However, there were no excuses for the large amount of drips and uneven coverage as that had nothing to do with preparation work and unfortunately, that was the exact quality of work I received 6 years ago when I paid $150 for a respray on my civic's front bumper. I took that as a lesson learned because you really do get what you pay for and sometimes worse.

Just out of curiosity, Dk/OP was there ever a receipt printed/received?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #82
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,096 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
ITT we learn i-vtecyo is the taxman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #83
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,331 Times in 213 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 6 Posts
Spoiler!

Since when did shops charge 400$ to paint a "lip"
In that logic a front lip Is 4-5 times the size of a bumper so your saying a bumper will cost 1600-2000$ from a reputable shop

This is how I see it
It's clear DK saw how small the lip is and he saw a profit margin (even @ 130$)
But when he failed on the job he didn't bother to fix it because in his own words he looked like a kid ( he didn't expect a backlash)

Backlash happened and now DK is offering a fix (good on dk)
If i was OP I would go back to get that "Free fix" he pretty much won

Thanks to revscene..
Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #84
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 1,004 Times in 194 Posts
I will assume you don't take much pride in your work. How could you even let such shitty work leave your business? Regardless of how much was paid for the job. I mean come on lets be real here.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #85
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 16 Times in 5 Posts
Even though I am disappointed about all that’s happened. This thread wasn’t made to destroy his business, only to warn others and for him to learn.

The main issue with DK was that he would not take responsibility for his work. Damir knew there was repair work done before, so he could blame all his mistakes on me. Also I knew I had to make a review when I found out this didn't only happen to me.

I have already dropped the lip off at another shop, which I have confidence they’ll do a much better job.

Personally, I can never trust him again. Though I do hope he gets his act together, and good luck to his business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-vtecyo View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but $120 for a front lip "paint job" is only a quarter of the actual cost compared to a reputable body shop. Most quality shops charge $400-/+. We can't really expect much because $120 just barely covers up for the paint materials and shop supplies itself, so I wouldn't be that surprised as preparation work was never done properly. However, there were no excuses for the large amount of drips and uneven coverage as that had nothing to do with preparation work and unfortunately, that was the exact quality of work I received 6 years ago when I paid $150 for a respray on my civic's front bumper. I took that as a lesson learned because you really do get what you pay for and sometimes worse.

Just out of curiosity, Dk/OP was there ever a receipt printed/received?
I still wouldn’t pay $400 for a lip repaint. I paid $120 for labour/primer and another $40 for the paint which is a cheap price, but not for a job that looks like this.
There was no receipt from DK, I only have the receipt from Lordco for the paint.
PLUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #86
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUJ View Post
There was no receipt from DK, I only have the receipt from Lordco for the paint.

Spy shots of the lordco receipt have been transcripted:

2x Rustoleum gloss white aerosol paint
1x Rustoleum gloss clear coat
1x 400 grit sandpaper

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUJ View Post
Even though I am disappointed about all that’s happened. This thread wasn’t made to destroy his business, only to warn others and for him to learn.

The main issue with DK was that he would not take responsibility for his work. Damir knew there was repair work done before, so he could blame all his mistakes on me. Also I knew I had to make a review when I found out this didn't only happen to me.

I have already dropped the lip off at another shop, which I have confidence they’ll do a much better job.

Personally, I can never trust him again. Though I do hope he gets his act together, and good luck to his business.

I still wouldn’t pay $400 for a lip repaint. I paid $120 for labour/primer and another $40 for the paint which is a cheap price, but not for a job that looks like this.
Okay, maybe I overestimated the price of a front lip respray by a little bit and missed the total amount of $160 because in DK's post, he wasn't clear that you had to pay for the paint as well on top of the $120, instead he made it seem like it was $100-ish.

Now did you not get a receipt because you were trying to avoid tax and paid by cash or was it because he didn't provide one to you? Regardless, you should ALWAYS obtain a copy of the receipt of any work as proof of legal document. Otherwise, assuming that this was a "under the table" deal, shady shops and bad business owners will not feel the need to do the work properly as both parties are trying to benefit from each other by cutting corners. With that being said, if I were you, I would have given him a second chance to redeem himself for the crappy paint job that was done, given that eventually he was willing to pay for the paint himself, which should have been offered after the initial screw up. In the end, I hope both of you two learned something from this experience and how to avoid similar recurrence in the future.

Last edited by i-vtecyo; 02-08-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #88
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 53 Times in 6 Posts
I appreciate all the comments. And Ken it was nothing personal, good luck.

Bless
DKonnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #89
I don't get it

Failed 87 Times in 30 Posts
Like OP, I had the same bad experience at DKcustoms. I was going to hold off on making a post or even sharing the experience since I was to bring the car back a third time to resolve the issues. However, I've decided to refuse to bring it back. If he's not going to fix it right the 2nd time, he's not going to take his time to resolve it the 3rd time. I am sure Damir would be delighted to hear that. Damir, all I ask is you take down my cars photos.

Most of what was said here holds true of DK. Does little to no prep, drips, uneven base/clear, rushes the job, paint dust all inside interior, has no respect for your car. I was shopping around for full paint jobs. DK was one of them and he asked 1500 for the job and quoted 'It will look amazing'. He later offered an additional 25% off if I brought the car in mid Jan instead of spring time. When I brought the car in I was refused the 25% off. My thought was he'd do a better job anyways so continued with it. Baited and switched I guess. I ended up paying 1900 in the end however. I could care less about how much I paid. It was that lie to get me in the door and the lack of workmanship and respect for my trust, time and patience. I do appreciate the areas that aren't fucked up though.

Damir, trust that I am not out to get you. Do things right the first time and your customers won't have a reason to complain. You may be booked till April but shit like this is going to catch up with you and you're going to be out of business quicker than you think.

Now a few photos to share...

I am sanding down the clear runs as I type this out. lol
dvst8

Last edited by dvst8; 02-09-2016 at 11:44 PM.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #90
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ That sucks.
Was the $1500 price quote for doing the complete car?
Suprarz666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #91
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
^Is your car the RX7 posted on his page?

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #92
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprarz666 View Post
^ That sucks.
Was the $1500 price quote for doing the complete car?
Yes
Old 02-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #93
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
^Is your car the RX7 posted on his page?
Yea it is.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #94
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 45 Times in 27 Posts
I don't get it. Isn't $1500 to paint a whole car uber cheap? I hate to say it but if it's too good to be true..
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #95
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,096 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
I hope everyone reading this thread realizes that you get what you pay for in life.

Not saying the work is ok for the money, but when you want something done right, you have to pay the price. Do it once. Do it right. Avoid hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #96

Failed 24 Times in 14 Posts
Is there any qualifications to do this type of work? Bcit? Apprentice program. Also he said he's not a icbc shop so who holds them accountable for their work. I know icbc shop they are held accountable by icbc. But 1500$ is cheap. Seems like someone just decided to do this one day and post on Craigslist quote them cheaply and they will come.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #97
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
I hope everyone reading this thread realizes that you get what you pay for in life.
Like 2 paint jobs for the price of one?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #98
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
$1500 to paint a car you honestly can't expect more than what you got... A proper paint job is like 5k minimum...

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #99
I don't get it

Totally agree with.... get what you pay for. However a coworkers friend vouched for DK and the shop was only a few blocks away. What could possibly go wrong right? I took my chances and took a loss. Moving along..

If I paid double the amount, would the quality have been better? DKCustoms defines 1500$ paint job as amazing. I don't know what a would define a 3k paint job. Amazingly amazing?

Last edited by dvst8; 02-09-2016 at 11:47 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #100
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
Yea it is.
Nooooo as a fellow rotary owner this makes me so sad. That colour looks phenomenal on FDs, good luck on fixing his shitty work! (nice car btw!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: