REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #651
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Helping in-laws to gather infos.

Any recommended electrician to install a charger? (either Nema or Tesla Wall charger)

TIA!
If you want to just use the charger that comes with the car you only need a range (oven) plug in the garage. My electrician neighbour did it for me.
Advertisement
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 AM   #652
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
that is so stupid to hear people already paid off a fuel efficient car that gets amazing fuel mileage with a bullet proof Japanese engine than decide to buy a Tesla getting rid of it.

i'd never do that knowing what a brand new Tesla costs,secondly,how many years it would take to pay for its self or somewhat reward you not buying fuel,people aren't including tires and what surprises the car might have for you out of warranty
Old 06-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #653
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
so people can't upgrade just because their vehicle is paid off, is reliable and fuel efficient?

with all the incentives right now, entry is not as bad as you think

but no i wouldn't buy it solely for gas savings
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #654

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
Model 3 launched in Hong Kong this week...but I can't order it, it only has standard plus (RWD), and I want AWD non-P. I am pissed cause I've waited 3 years hoping to be the first one getting it.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #655
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Another one burned to a crisp while charging. Combined with the randomly exploding ones, I don't think I'd want one of these parked anywhere near me. Certainly not in my garage.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/01/tesla...PzM6C6p0AbXWk8
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #656
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Model 3 launched in Hong Kong this week...but I can't order it, it only has standard plus (RWD), and I want AWD non-P. I am pissed cause I've waited 3 years hoping to be the first one getting it.
Why do you need AWD in HK?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #657

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Another one burned to a crisp while charging. Combined with the randomly exploding ones, I don't think I'd want one of these parked anywhere near me. Certainly not in my garage.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/01/tesla...PzM6C6p0AbXWk8
19 more cars to add to your list.

https://www.hotcars.com/20-cars-with...ching-on-fire/
Old 06-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
A Tesla is #1 on that list as well, and 2 others are electric cars. The rest of the list is mostly high-end exotic stuff and very old cars (a Vega? really?).

I would be interested to see an actual breakdown of numbers of cars combusting while refueling, as that now happens at home for many electric cars that risk is now transferred home instead of being at a gas station.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 06-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #659

Just like with any other vehicle, an electric vehicle has a chance of catching on fire. No car is perfect but to write them all off because some have caught on fire is just stupid. EV fires are going to be put under the spotlight right now as they are a relatively new technology and people are hyper sensitive to any negative news about them.

If you want to avoid driving in a vehicle that has a chance of catching on fire you should sell your car and just ride a bike. Every year there are over 170,000 vehicle fires in the united states and I guarantee that 99%+ of those are ICE vehicles.

Take things with a grain of salt with any piece of news these days and ask some questions. How old was the car that caught on fire? Was there an issue with the charger that caused the fire? Was there any existing damage to the car that may have caused the fire while charging?

Regardless of what the cause was, it's still something to be concerned about and it appears as if Tesla has sent out an update to help address some of the potential causes. That being said, i'd be interested in seeing a breakdown by model as to which cars have been catching on fire. It sure does look like the model S seems to be the most prominent one but that also probably has something to do with how many are on the road.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Why do you need AWD in HK?
well, to enjoy the most out of the tax benefit, it is the AWD version that benefits the most and it is quicker
Old 06-03-2019, 09:57 PM   #661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
EV fires are going to be put under the spotlight right now as they are a relatively new technology and people are hyper sensitive to any negative news about them.
They also seem to be a lot harder to deal with than a gas fire because of the batteries. It may just be a fluke but all the spontaneous ones I'm seeing in the news are Teslas, the fires involving other models that I've heard about are the result of accidents. Hybrids seem to have done fine over the years as well.

Quote:
Every year there are over 170,000 vehicle fires in the united states and I guarantee that 99%+ of those are ICE vehicles.
How old are those vehicles, and when are the fires happening? ICE vehicles tend to catch fire when they're older and being driven, not nearly new and parked. If a fire starts while driving you're already paying attention to the car and can react more quickly to get away from it, if it happens in your garage in the middle of the night

Stolen from the comments on the article:

Quote:
To be fair, there are 260k model Ss, and over 1.4 billion ICEs on the road. That's what, 21,538 ICEs that would have needed to start on fire in the past 2 months. Also to be fair, these are car fires occurring when the car is turned off and/or fueling. So we would need 21,538 ICEs catching on fire while turned off / fueling to be equivalent.. Just sayin', it's a pretty silly thing to throw in there as if "Well, because ICEs start on fire, these fires are ok.".
Maybe I'm just being overly cautious because in most of the detached homes around here, the non-master bedrooms are typically above the garage (ie the kids rooms) so I'm not too jazzed about the idea of placing something potentially explosive directly beneath my kids bed.

Quote:
Take things with a grain of salt with any piece of news these days and ask some questions. How old was the car that caught on fire? Was there an issue with the charger that caused the fire? Was there any existing damage to the car that may have caused the fire while charging?
Given the amount of tech in these things, should it not be set up to detect those kinds of issues and stop charging? Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed they had charging safety sorted out when they started spending a bunch of time with flashy stuff like the doors flapping to music.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 06-03-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:19 AM   #662
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts

I like.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #663

That looks better than any of the renderings for their actual truck. Given the size isn't it more of a ute though?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #664
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,915 Times in 1,236 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That looks better than any of the renderings for their actual truck. Given the size isn't it more of a ute though?
She (Simone Giertz aka Queen of Shitty Robots) did say it was El Camino inspired. It's even RWD!
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #665
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
This looks pretty badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #666
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Looks great as an ICE truck... but I doubt there would be so many air vent opening for a Tesla EV truck.

EV is all about low air drag, so the more opening, the more drag it creates.

If the teaser is any indication, and following Tesla's design language, I'd say it's going to look like an enlarged Roaster with Elongated front to create more space for batteries and low drag.

Heck, I'd go as far as saying it's going to have some weird suicide doors/single piece with crash protection built into the door to create a safe and yet functional (say creating a side loading mechanism) door design (as I see it the main reason why no teaser ever show the door).

Last edited by Hehe; 06-18-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:35 PM   #667

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts

That's a F150 in the bed.

https://www.designboom.com/technolog...ck-12-27-2017/
Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #668

Thanked 9,847 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
let's se e how well it does in a rollover when you take away the c pillar

+1 on looks though
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 AM   #669

In-laws just took delivery of their SR+ Model 3.

For less than half of the price (incentive included), I'm surprised how well it compared to the Model X I've previously driven.

I mean, sure the X is fancier and better in almost any and every way, but for double the price, it better be.

So tempted to switch my DD...
Old 06-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
In-laws just took delivery of their SR+ Model 3.

For less than half of the price (incentive included), I'm surprised how well it compared to the Model X I've previously driven.

I mean, sure the X is fancier and better in almost any and every way, but for double the price, it better be.

So tempted to switch my DD...
Do it, it's an amazing car. i've got the LR RWD and it's a blast to drive every day.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:54 PM   #671
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Has anyone been in an accident with their Tesla? I'm curious to see if the parts shortage is a real thing or not.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #672

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Has anyone been in an accident with their Tesla? I'm curious to see if the parts shortage is a real thing or not.
An anecdotal note for sure, but I was talking to a gent when in-law was taking delivery who was there picking up his 3rd Tesla, and we were talking about problems of owning a Tesla. He told me parts aren't exactly an issue unless you are looking for something which just happened to be in low supply/high demand.

The problem here in YVR is the limit amount of shops qualified to work on Teslas. He believes there are only a whopping 3 shops in BC that can service them. And they aren't dedicated to Tesla either.

Thus, it's often that they have to wait for the bodyshop to have a space, and then order whatever it's necessary to fix it. And sometimes the wait time for shop space/time is way longer than the part.

Nevertheless, he believes the worst is behind us already because given the BC/Fed incentives, we are becoming a very strong market for Teslas... which he think will add additional resources not just from Tesla itself, but also 3rd parties interests with Tesla.

Last edited by Hehe; 06-20-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Hehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 PM   #673

Just ordered Tesla Model 3 Performance Black (no option at all) over the phone
This post thanked by:
Old 06-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #674
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
My work place had a couple tesla come through. Not accident cars but needed trims, undertray, glass, door handle, mostly cosmetic stuff to prep the cars for resale. Parts take forever to arrive. It feels like the parts staff at the Tesla dealer don't really know what they are doing.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #675
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Friend has a Model S and has been in a couple of minor parking lot fender benders (richmond...). Parts take months to come in and any type of damage to one of the sensors will take the entire system offline. When parts do come in you also have to hope and pray that the technician calibrates the sensor system properly...
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote