REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 84 Times in 12 Posts
According to the HR calculator I owe $1300, on the turbotax calculator I owe $1900

It looks like buying 1-2000 in RRSP doesn't even offset it that much either
Advertisement
Past:'06 Civic Si
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #27
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,157 Posts
Failed 212 Times in 81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Question:

Can I claim bus-passes (monthly) that I bought for my girlfriend last year? I have both the passes and the receipts.

She had little income so there's no point in claiming under her (I know they're transferrable, but I paid for them lol).

In chance of an audit, would they question the fact that I own a car, and still bought transit passes, while being "single"?
I have been doing this. As long as you have proof. that's all that matters. I have never been audited.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #28
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,512 Times in 1,157 Posts
Failed 212 Times in 81 Posts
Which tax software is best?

I used to use Turbo Tax just because I was too lazy to use anything else, but then someone told me that HR software is better.

What do you guys use?
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #29
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,765 Times in 1,645 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
According to the HR calculator I owe $1300, on the turbotax calculator I owe $1900

It looks like buying 1-2000 in RRSP doesn't even offset it that much either
Bank advisor once told me that a "very general" rule of thumb is that you'll get back 1/3 of what you buy in RRSP's. i.e. If you buy $3000 in RRSP, you'll get back $1000 in taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post

I used to use Turbo Tax just because I was too lazy to use anything else, but then someone told me that HR software is better.

What do you guys use?
I've used both and honestly I feel H&R is a tad easier, just because you don't have to install it on your computer. I highly doubt there's a big difference in terms of actual functionality. That said, my taxes are dead simple so for those of you with more complicated filings, one or the other may stand out
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #30
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Bank advisor once told me that a "very general" rule of thumb is that you'll get back 1/3 of what you buy in RRSP's. i.e. If you buy $3000 in RRSP, you'll get back $1000 in taxes.

No... These bank advisors are a bunch of hacks or something...

Example here:
Benefits of RRSPs
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:56 PM   #31
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post

What do you guys use?
use simple tax.

usage is by donation.

clean UI.

basic( Tslips) to Moderate (propritorship) calculations come out to the same as professional personal tax software.

i use it.

www.simpletax.ca

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 07:23 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Failed 31 Times in 8 Posts
i have been using studiotax for the last 5 years. its free.
pankrationisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
i've too have been using turbotax for the last 5+ years and keep using it because it has all my info ready to go

does the software take any tax information from last year to impact this year? other than personal info etc....possibly RRSP contribution limit?

would rather save the money and use a free system

are they also usable for a married couple? just thought i'd check
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #34
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
i use studiotax, there's an option to connect to your CRA account that will automatically fill in RRSP contribution, remaining tax credits (tuition for example) based on your CRA account.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,817 Times in 942 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 24 Posts
List of free CRA certified software for PCs and Macs

Certified software for the 2016 NETFILE program

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,515 Times in 963 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Anyone not get their T5 Slips yet?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #37

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Failed 418 Times in 188 Posts
n00b question but in previous years I was able to file for:

Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit application

now that option isn't showing up...is it because I made more income this year than in 2013 & 2014? Or whos eligible for it basically lol
Old 03-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #38
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 4,023 Times in 970 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
n00b question but in previous years I was able to file for:

Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit application

now that option isn't showing up...is it because I made more income this year than in 2013 & 2014? Or whos eligible for it basically lol
General Income Tax and Benefit Guide - 2015 - General Information, Identification and Elections Canada

Quote:
Goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit

When you file your return, the CRA will determine your eligibility and tell you if you are entitled to receive the GST/HST credit.

Your credit is based on the number of children you have and your net income added to the net income of your spouse or common law partner (if you have one), minus any amount you or your spouse or common law partner reported on lines 117 and 125. If you or your spouse or common-law partner deducted an amount on line 213 and/or the amount for a repayment of registered disability savings plan income included on line 232, we will add these amounts to your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s net income.

This information is also used to calculate any payments from related provincial programs. Net income is the amount on line 236 of a person’s return, or the amount it would be if the person filed a return.

In the “Identification” area on page 1 of your return, enter your marital status and, if it applies, the information about your spouse or common law partner (including his or her net income, even if it is zero). Either you or your spouse or common‑law partner may receive the credit, but not both of you. The credit will be paid to the spouse or common-law partner whose return is assessed first.

For more information, go to Child and family benefits, see Booklet RC4210, GST/HST Credit, or call us at 1-800-959-1953. To view your GST/HST credit information, go to My Account for Individuals. To view the next GST/HST credit payment date, go to Mobile apps and select MyCRA.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #39

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Failed 418 Times in 188 Posts
yup found that on Google but was hopping they would elaborate more lol

Guess I'm not eligible or entitled to it then
Old 03-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #40
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 4,023 Times in 970 Posts
Failed 129 Times in 32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
yup found that on Google but was hopping they would elaborate more lol

Guess I'm not eligible or entitled to it then
I forgot exactly how they notify you, but it's either on your NOA or they send a separate letter later to give you a breakdown of the GST credits you'll receive. So, you won't know right away.
bobbinka is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #41
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
As mentioned, the GST/HST credit no longer needs to be applied for as the CRA will determine your eligibility when assessing your 2015 income tax. Below is a structure of household income thresholds:

Family structure Adjusted family net income
Single person $44,346
Single parent with one child $49,866
Single parent with two children $52,766
Single parent with three children $55,666
Single parent with four children $58,566
Married/common-law couple with no children $46,966
Married/common-law couple with one child $49,866
Married/common-law couple with two children $52,766
Married/common-law couple with three children $55,666
Married/common-law couple with four children $58,566

Source: Family income level where the recipient will no longer receive the GST/HST credit
-TxAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #42

Failed 93 Times in 31 Posts
Newbie landlord here, Is rental property considered as capital income? I have some lost mutual funds from previous years and line 253 apparently wont work.

How do I claim property depreciation on the rental unit if I lived in it during year 1? (it was rented out year 2, 2015 onward)
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #43
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
Newbie landlord here, Is rental property considered as capital income? I have some lost mutual funds from previous years and line 253 apparently wont work.

How do I claim property depreciation on the rental unit if I lived in it during year 1? (it was rented out year 2, 2015 onward)
are you ever going to live in it again? ever? like some day maybe? downsize maybe?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #44

Failed 93 Times in 31 Posts
No, I will sell it once the tenants moves or my term mortgage ends in a couple years
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #45
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
No, I will sell it once the tenants moves or my term mortgage ends in a couple years
you need to know the fair market value of the property at jan 1 2015... ask a realestate buddy.

you need to file a principal residence exemption... go to an accountant.
TaxTips.ca - Principal residence exemption

edit: re-reading this, and "election" is what I meant to type... not exemption. "principal residence election".

Last edited by tiger_handheld; 04-10-2016 at 08:47 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #46
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,534 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 319 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:

Rental income is not considered capital income. I wouldn't claim depreciation against rental income because you may have to pay a lot of taxes if you decide to sell the property.

The "recapture" of the total depreciation expense amount you claimed will turn into your taxable income when you decide to sell the property. The recaptured amount is 100% taxable, whereas Capital gains from selling the property is only 50% taxable.
RevYouUp is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #47
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Anyone know a good accountant that knows about cross border taxes (especially in the espp/restricted stocks area). Have sold espp shares in the States.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #48
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV62K2 View Post
Anyone know a good accountant that knows about cross border taxes (especially in the espp/restricted stocks area). Have sold espp shares in the States.
a canadian resident sold US shares? Why do you need a cross border accountant? or is there more to your story?
(ie. an Apple employee working in Canada who received or purchased Apple shares during their employment at Apple sold the shares?)

Old 04-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
US based tech company with a branch up here. So yeah pretty the example u have tiger.
BlackV62K2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:54 AM   #50
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 399 Times in 67 Posts
My company gave me a t4a slip and has $6000 on 020 commission

Is this income taxable ?
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote