REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Ford’s New Fusion Sport Can Jump Over Potholes

i hope the aftermarket can come up with something similar one day...

Quote:
Ford's all-new Fusion V6 Sport is the type of car that can protect itself and your wallet from those damaging potholes that often plague some of our most traveled on roads.

Because it's darn near impossible to miss all the potholes you encounter, Ford engineers have developed an advanced computer-controlled shock absorber system for the 2017 Fusion V6 Sport, which should help drivers cut back on getting frustrated when driving over pothole-riddled roads.

According to AAA, US drivers spend about $3 billion every year to cover pothole damages to their cars, with some of them reporting paying $300 to repair this type of damage.

As if to come directly to their rescue, the Fusion V6 Sport is the first ever Ford car equipped with a continuously controlled damping system as a standard feature.

"The new Fusion V6 Sport substantially reduces the harsh impact potholes often deliver," said Ford engineering expert, Jason Michener. "Our new pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole."

Furthermore, the Ford argues that the Fusion V6 Sport is the first midsize sedan in its class to feature this tech, and points out how neither the Honda Accord nor the Toyota Camry offer such an advanced suspension system.

Michener added that this system was tested and tuned "by driving over countless potholes, subjecting the Fusion V6 Sport to the brutal, square-edged potholes of our Romeo Proving Grounds to finesse the software. It was long hours of not very pleasant work, but the results are well worth it."

Watching the video footage will clarify the way the system operates, but what it doesn't say is that the rear suspension can respond even faster than the front, mainly because the front wheels can send a pre-warning to the rear well before it reaches the pothole - and that is pretty clever.

The new Fusion V6 Sport with continuously controlled damping and pothole mitigation tech is set to arrive at Ford dealerships this summer.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
wouldn't stiffen the damper will cause more damage to the wheels?
will it detect speed bumps?
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #3
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Reminded me of this video:

Old 02-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
That sounds great, except I'm willing to bet the cost of keeping that system in functioning order will vastly outweigh the costs of possible damage from potholes.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
but i noticed on the slow mo that even with the system, the tires compress quite a lot when it contacts the front of the pothole? Wouldn't that still create the chance of a flat?
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,815 Times in 594 Posts
Failed 31 Times in 13 Posts
yeah seems like the tire takes quite a beating
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That sounds great, except I'm willing to bet the cost of keeping that system in functioning order will vastly outweigh the costs of possible damage from potholes.
It appears in this system the dampers are stiffened before the pothole. Holding the wheel from falling into the pothole. I think in the bose system, they had active hydraulics that would adapt to road conditions.

The Ford system can only handle holes and not bumps. Along with only one pothole at a time or one pothole in diagonal positions, eg. LF + RR, or RF + LR.

I think it'll cost just as much with cars that have sport mode and economy mode. But, it's one of those things were time will tell.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Stiffening is a bad word. I looks like the rebound is completely slowed, to slow the shock/spring combo from extending. I'd suspect the compression abilities of the shock would remain the same, meaning the wheel wouldn't take any more of a hit. Actually substantially less since it's not actually entering the pothole, just nipping the tip. Just the tip.