REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 03-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
I don't get it

Failed 22 Times in 11 Posts
3mm Acoustic Underlayment IIC 78/STC 77

I am wanting to change my hardwood flooring at my current residence.
However there are some rules and regulations which I need to meet in order to change the floor.

I am required to use 3mm and 73 IIC or greater for the under laying.
I've looked at some local websites but most need to be ordered in and also start at 0.49c/ sqft.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any local stores that retail this exact and what is a reasonable price to pay or find the best deal yet holding the same quality standards..

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Last edited by swiftshift; 03-12-2016 at 01:54 PM.
swiftshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 81 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftshift View Post
I am wanting to change my hardwood flooring at my current residence.
However there are some rules and regulations which I need to meet in order to change the floor.

I am required to use 3mm and 73 IIC or greater for the under laying.
I've looked at some local websites but most need to be ordered in and also start at 0.49c/ sqft.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any local stores that retail this exact and what is a reasonable price to pay or find the best deal yet holding the same quality standards..

Thanks in advance.
You're lucky that your strata only requires IIC ratings and not FIIC which is much more stringent.

When we purchased our flooring from King of Floors last year, we were offered an underlay that exceeds the standard that your strata requires. They charged about 70 cents/square foot if I recall. If you buy flooring from them, they knock off about 10-20 cents per square foot for the underlay.

However, our strata required something that was FIIC rated which is a higher standard. There are few products on the market that offer this standard, but one of them that is Canadian and available locally is Durason. We looked on Craigslist and found a few local suppliers of this underlay. It was around $1/square foot. There's nothing higher rated from a sound insulation standpoint on the market and if you're willing to spend a bit more, it's guaranteed to be approved by your strata.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
You're lucky that your strata only requires IIC ratings and not FIIC which is much more stringent.

When we purchased our flooring from King of Floors last year, we were offered an underlay that exceeds the standard that your strata requires. They charged about 70 cents/square foot if I recall. If you buy flooring from them, they knock off about 10-20 cents per square foot for the underlay.

However, our strata required something that was FIIC rated which is a higher standard. There are few products on the market that offer this standard, but one of them that is Canadian and available locally is Durason. We looked on Craigslist and found a few local suppliers of this underlay. It was around $1/square foot. There's nothing higher rated from a sound insulation standpoint on the market and if you're willing to spend a bit more, it's guaranteed to be approved by your strata.
Hey, thanks for your reply
Will look into it this weekend.
$1 sounds a bit expensive though
Old 03-14-2016, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Hey, thanks for your reply
Will look into it this weekend.
$1 sounds a bit expensive though
It is expensive, particularly if you're doing a large area. However, if you're planning on doing laminate, as opposed to engineered hardwood, you will want something thicker anyway to provide more cushion.

This is the way I look at it though: you could always do the bare minimum, or you could be a good neighbour and do a bit more to minimize the chances of a noise complaint in the future.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #5
I don't get it

Quote:
It is expensive, particularly if you're doing a large area. However, if you're planning on doing laminate, as opposed to engineered hardwood, you will want something thicker anyway to provide more cushion.

This is the way I look at it though: you could always do the bare minimum, or you could be a good neighbour and do a bit more to minimize the chances of a noise complaint in the future.
Need roughly 220/sqft
Regulations as per strata requires these specifications
Old 03-14-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Need roughly 220/sqft
Our flooring project involved a 300 square foot area. 50 cents per square foot for something better shouldn't make or break your project considering the size, IMHO. You're going to be spending at least 3K on your project with materials and labour. In my experience, you'll want quality underlayment, especially if you're in a concrete building as there's absolutely no give with a concrete subfloor.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
I recently helped my father get some new hardwood floor in his 1000 sq/ft apartment in a seniors only concrete building in white rock. As they are only seniors who live there they typically have nothing better to do than complain about their noisy neighbors. Because of this, their strata has really tight regulations regarding the sub floors they are allowed to use. I work for a local Moulding, Door and flooring company and was able to get all the info from one of our suppliers as to what material would meet/exceed the requirements of the strata and was even able to get a sample of it from our supplier.

My suggestion is contact a company and challenge them with what you require and see if they are able to assist you in finding a resolution.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:37 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,059 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Need roughly 220/sqft
That's not a lot of area to worry about. Sure $1.00 is double the price of the $0.50 stuff, but you're only spending $100 more overall.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Failed 146 Times in 72 Posts
Economy Floor Supplies
2351 Simpson Rd #1, Richmond, BC V6X 2R2
PH: (604) 270-4029

I just redid my flooring (laminate) and got the underlayment from them.
Home Depot had the underlayment I was after, they had a comparable product for less than half the price of Home Depots. (Exact same IIC and STC ratings)
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Economy Floor Supplies
2351 Simpson Rd #1, Richmond, BC V6X 2R2
PH: (604) 270-4029

I just redid my flooring (laminate) and got the underlayment from them.
Home Depot had the underlayment I was after, they had a comparable product for less than half the price of Home Depots. (Exact same IIC and STC ratings)
Thanks,

I purchased from Mikes Carpet and Flooring | Carpet | Laminate | Hardwood | Vinyl | Cork | Tiles | Flooring | Floors | Burnaby | Coquitlam | Professional Installers in Burnaby
Costed about 0.68 cents / sq ft.
I needed only 220 to cover the area.
Project is under $2500
Old 03-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Failed 105 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Our flooring project involved a 300 square foot area. 50 cents per square foot for something better shouldn't make or break your project considering the size, IMHO. You're going to be spending at least 3K on your project with materials and labour. In my experience, you'll want quality underlayment, especially if you're in a concrete building as there's absolutely no give with a concrete subfloor.
Quote:
Costed about 0.68 cents / sq ft.
I needed only 220 to cover the area.
Project is under $2500
Why are you guys spending that much on laminate flooring...? ($10/sf?)
You can find a good quality laminate <$3/sf
Underaly $0.50-$0.85/sf
Trims & moulding $0.50/sf
Labor $2.0/sf?

$6-$7/sf is already on the upper end for laminate floor...
$10 could get you a pretty nice engineered wood floor installed.

Btw, most IIC rating are bs.
Different manufacturer uses different method to test their underpad..
some do it with 6" concrete slab, some with 8" slab, and some even do it with a drop ceiling...the same underpad could get a 55IIC on 6" concrete slab, and 70+ with a drop ceiling. (They are kinda like LCD monitor advertised spec for grey-to-grey response time...)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
Why are you guys spending that much on laminate flooring...? ($10/sf?)
You can find a good quality laminate <$3/sf
Underaly $0.50-$0.85/sf
Trims & moulding $0.50/sf
Labor $2.0/sf?

$6-$7/sf is already on the upper end for laminate floor...
$10 could get you a pretty nice engineered wood floor installed.

Btw, most IIC rating are bs.
Different manufacturer uses different method to test their underpad..
some do it with 6" concrete slab, some with 8" slab, and some even do it with a drop ceiling...the same underpad could get a 55IIC on 6" concrete slab, and 70+ with a drop ceiling. (They are kinda like LCD monitor advertised spec for grey-to-grey response time...)
Our project at 300 square feet was about 3K. We bought clearance engineered hardwood at King of Floors at $3/sq.ft, but because it was a clearance product, we had to buy a bit more since there were likely to be more imperfect boards. On top of that, we had to pay for the removal of the old carpet and the leveling in addition to the baseboards and labour for the floor installation. If you have a really bad floor, you'll have to spend more on concrete to level it. It can add up really fast, especially if you want to buy something that is from Germany or somewhere else in Europe, as opposed to China.

I agree though that IIC ratings are arbitrary. It's probably why our strata requires a more stringent FIIC rated product.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Lol @ $10/sq foot laminate, is it gold leafed?

There was hand scraped engineered flooring at the home show with these fancy ass ship lap type bow ties which join the panels. That's about at niche as I've seen and it was $11

Costco has great flooring, 15mm solid core laminate. The only thing with 15mm is you've got to watch your door frames/casings etc

Oh and the Costco stuff is like $2.11 a sq foot lol