REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #51
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
OK. I don't know about you, but my hearing picks up noises in a 360° radius.
Right, but when the noise is coming out the back of the vehicle, who do you think is gonna hear it the loudest? The car in front, or the car behind?
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #52
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
I'll just flip the switch on my Porsche sports exhaust to silent mode if I get tested.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #53
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,856 Times in 7,375 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Your 996 has that?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 PM   #54
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,726 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Right, but when the noise is coming out the back of the vehicle, who do you think is gonna hear it the loudest? The car in front, or the car behind?
Why does that matter? The only point I'm trying to make is you can hear it. Which I also specifically said why a quiet Prius is actually rather dangerous to the common passive driver who isn't paying attention. It's not just drivers, but even pedestrians too. If you can hear something, you'll be more aware of it.

You've continually missed my point, but I cannot further explain something so simple in any more detail than it already is.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 07-05-2016 at 08:05 PM.
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:01 PM   #55
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,726 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
not really. a loud exhaust as a "safety feature" puts your safety in the hands of other motorists, hoping they can hear your presence. taking control of your own surroundings and being a defensive and aware driver trumps a loud exhaust every single time
Your logic doesn't make any sense. Your safety is always partially in the hands of other motorists. One example, you're slowing down and hoping the driver behind you is aware and doesn't rear end you. You can't take control of that. Like I said earlier, in the perfect world, of course defensive driving and awareness trumps all. But the world isn't perfect.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #56
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 155 Times in 34 Posts
I was driving a prius downtown at night behind a bicyclist. Right when I was about to pass him he swerved left into the lane and I slammed my brakes and skid like 5 ft almost hitting the curb. He didn't even notice that whole incident and just continued riding his bicycle, never looking back. I agree the prius is way too quiet.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #57

Quote:
Why does that matter? The only point I'm trying to make is you can hear it. Which I also specifically said why a quiet Prius is actually rather dangerous to the common passive driver who isn't paying attention. It's not just drivers, but even pedestrians too. If you can hear something, you'll be more aware of it.
Simply making a bunch of noise like a twat won't get someone noticed, if people aren't paying attention to what's around them that includes sounds (look at all the idiots who don't react at all when honked at). The kind of people perceptive enough to notice that the loud noise is coming from their blind spot are the ones already checking it, so there's not going to be any benefit to loud exhausts besides letting everyone behind them in traffic know that Cunty McCuntington is ahead of them on the road.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #58
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 4 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Your logic doesn't make any sense. Your safety is always partially in the hands of other motorists. One example, you're slowing down and hoping the driver behind you is aware and doesn't rear end you. You can't take control of that. Like I said earlier, in the perfect world, of course defensive driving and awareness trumps all. But the world isn't perfect.
A loud bike raises the awareness of the other motorists.

Last edited by capt_slo; 07-06-2016 at 01:54 PM.
capt_slo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #59
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
I brapped around town today on my 2 stroke. It was fun.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:41 AM   #60
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Failed 236 Times in 113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Your 996 has that?
Yes, the Porsche Sports Exhaust has been available since the 996 generation.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #61
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was watching old episode of Weeds, gangster started using a Prius for his whole crew. It's so quite good for drive by shooting lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowda9 View Post
I was driving a prius downtown at night behind a bicyclist. Right when I was about to pass him he swerved left into the lane and I slammed my brakes and skid like 5 ft almost hitting the curb. He didn't even notice that whole incident and just continued riding his bicycle, never looking back. I agree the prius is way too quiet.
SlowEK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2016, 01:04 AM   #62
RS controls my life!

Thanked 4,071 Times in 346 Posts
Failed 157 Times in 30 Posts
Why am i hearing the exhaust noise ticket comes with 3points.. Ive heard 3 people today getting exhaust tickets. One without a db being used. How are points justified for exhaust tickets
ThatKoukiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #63
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
This ticket is so easy to contest, there's no way a decibel reading test stands up in court if it's not conducted in an isolated environment with no ambient noise in the background... these fools are just out to sell some papers and satisfy a few politicians that they're enforcing whatever is popular for votes at any given time. This is also assuming that the officer using the decibel meter has gone to training for using one (unlikely).
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #64
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
how much training do you need on a meter?
are there no meters that can block out most ambient noise?

say the new high-perf vehicles like the F-Type doesn't have quiet mode or whatever it's called, are stock exhausts actually very loud if the rpm are at sane levels that allows you to still accelerate decently quick in the city/highway? or are they loud because clutch dump and floored to 8k
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #65
Performance Moderator

How much training does someone need to hand over a breathalyzer and ask someone to blow in the tube? It's not just the device itself, it's the laws surrounding it and various scenarios that can occur. There's still a course for it and many DUI's are dropped due to no training for the officer administering the test or an officer trained to administer it took too long to get there with a unit.

And hell yes if I was pulled over on Granville and 16th (one of their favorite spots) and someone is just holding a decibel reader near my exhaust and buses and cars and horns and people are all waking by I'd be contesting that test sample as tainted and inaccurate.

Ambient city noise is anywhere between 55-65 decibels in a decent sized city, more if the city is heavily air-conditioned. That's a lot of pollution into your roadside test... It's like letting a super drunk person lightly breathe into the same tube you're blowing into during a breathalyzer. Especially when this is being used against you for punitive reasons and criminally given the points on a license, people should definitely insist on it being conducted professionally in an isolated environment with zero margin for error.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #66
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Just FYI, driving on the sidewalk is an $81 fine and 2 points.

... A loud exhaust is $109 and 3 points. Hell its zero points to drive without insurance
Old 07-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #67

The fine is $598 + an instant tow and impound for no insurance though. When I made that mistake (I didn't do it intentionally) it ended up costing me somewhere near $900 since the towing company ripped me off.

edit: that's for no insurance
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by underscore; 07-11-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:09 PM   #68
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
The fine is $598 + an instant tow and impound for no insurance though. When I made that mistake (I didn't do it intentionally) it ended up costing me somewhere near $900 since the towing company ripped me off.
For loud exhaust???
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:43 PM   #69
Performance Moderator

^he was talking about no insurance
This post thanked by:
Old 07-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #70
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
I'm with all of you, loud exhaust shouldn't carry any points. It makes no sense, its not a case of bad driving, or dangerous behavior. Having an exceptionally loud exhaust and revving it around just makes you an asshole. (Don't get me wrong I have an aftermarket muffler, I'm more thinking of guys in cars with no exhausts at all, or like straight pipes on their hondas.)

For being an asshole like that the government can freely pick pocket you, and if you still don't care about it, then they can just VI you and force you to fix the issue.

There is no reason why someone should receive points on their license for something related to their car. This isn't like texting and driving which we are trying to curb by issuing points, there are other means officers have at their disposal to correct the issue of an obnoxious exhaust.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:12 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
I'm with all of you, loud exhaust shouldn't carry any points. It makes no sense, its not a case of bad driving, or dangerous behavior.
Someone could argue that it could cause hearing damage to someone, especially a small child.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #72
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Someone could argue that it could cause hearing damage to someone, especially a small child.
Yes, perhaps if you duct tape your baby to the back of a motorcycle or fart can equipped Honda, it could cause hearing problems. Smh.

Literally the only complaint I have ever heard, is that it is annoying. "especially in the summer when people have their house windows open all the time".

Like I said police have avenues aside from monetary penalties to force someone to fix their car. This should be the avenue taken to ensure the people fix their car. Not arbitrarily handing out points onto someones license.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Yes, perhaps if you duct tape your baby to the back of a motorcycle or fart can equipped Honda, it could cause hearing problems. Smh.

Literally the only complaint I have ever heard, is that it is annoying. "especially in the summer when people have their house windows open all the time".

Like I said police have avenues aside from monetary penalties to force someone to fix their car. This should be the avenue taken to ensure the people fix their car. Not arbitrarily handing out points onto someones license.
Kids are more susceptible to hearing damage, and it's not exactly difficult for some bikes to get into hearing damage ranges when they pin it to pass you, for example.

You're right about the fines though, I'm not entirely sure why they're doing that as opposed to issuing VI's. A VI is more hassle for the driver but does actually force them to fix it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 AM   #74
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Quote:
sadly not for me it's not a seasonal issue. i live on the side of a hill and a old riced out mitsubishi eclipse with an n1 exhaust that would always floor it every day going up to wherever he lives, and when it rains i we get the added bonus of him spinning one single front wheel all the way up to the top. this is the only time i wish and pray for a crankwalk event to happen to someone...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #75
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Failed 25 Times in 14 Posts
I'm certain from here on out ICBC will make sure points are attached to any infraction. They've realized that they now have a secondary source of income, the Driver Penalty Point Premium, you can bet your ass that they have a full interest in seeing points attached to every single infraction out there. Wether it be a dangerous driving action or some sort of simple thing. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if at some point they started giving a point with every parking ticked issued either.
2008 Mercedes C300
2012 Ford F-150 XLT
2014 Ford F-150 FX4 - Current
1999 Chevy Trailblazer
2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2015 Honda Civic Coupe EX-L
2018 Honda HR-V Touring
2019 Audi A4 Technik - Current
2012 Porsche 911 Targa 4 - Current

1995 Kawasaki ZX-6R
2005 Yamaha R6 - RIP
2006 Yamaha R6 50th Anniversary Edition - Current