REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Chafer Beetle and Artificial Turf

Has anybody decided to go with artificial turf to counteract the effects of the european chafer beetle issue? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences.

My current "lawn" has had drainage issues in the past, with moss forming closer to the house where it doesn't get much sunlight. Last year, I noticed chafer beetle larvae and bits of the lawn torn up. I've also had lots of ant hills on my lawn as well.

I'm thinking of going artificial to not have to worry about the beetles, ants, moss, and having to mow the lawn. My lawn is 21' x 28'.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #2
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Artificial can run from $6 sq/ft to about $12 for higher end stuff.. I like it.. we've had some installed on projects in the past

I think this product was about $8

it's a pretty easy install, they need reasonable drainage below, they pack about 4" of road base down, tamp it, then install the grass. They pin it down ever 2" with galvanized spikes, then lay 1lb of sand per square foot in order to keep the blades upright and the matt weighed down.

Chafer/Dune bugs are really fucking annoying.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
No comment on the chafer beetle issue, but having been fighting ants on an on-going basis for at least a few years now, I am very skeptical that artificial turf can solve your ant problems.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,232 Times in 423 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
Friend did it and had golf holes installed so the kids could chip and putt on a mini 3 hole course.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Hondaracer: who did you go with for the install?
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
i cant recall now.. lemme see if i can dig up the info